• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do NOT upgrade your Wii to 4.2 through Nintendo -- Safe Update!

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
**** mine updates automatically, Brawl+ and everything still works, but the new alternate file replacement code Almas put out won;t work anymore

Anyway to fix this?

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Are you sure someone else using the Wii didn't hit "Update"?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Yes they are. Trying to stop pirating and getting a stub on IOS250 that is below the current pirate version number is soo dumb. 1 line of code kills sooo much work lol. The entire update now has a trucha signed opening for good hackers.

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
Are you sure someone else using the Wii didn't hit "Update"?
No one else uses my Wii, I just woke up and the blue light was flashing, I started up Brawl+ through the homebrew channel and it worked but the new code Almas put out didn't:(

****, I just got that code working and I really want it to work again, I had Wiiconnect24 on, I forgot for a long time, I just turned it off but I think it's too late, I can't tell

I got a message from Nintendo about the new wii menu, it asks me to update because it has the little update button on the bottom right, but then at the bottom it also says:

**Please Note:
If you've updated your Wii menu after 9/29/09, you may not need to update again.

Thank you for updating your wii console

Won't this message only display if the menu has been automatically updated? Wiiconnect24 was on so it probably forced the download on my Wii, I'm ****ed aren't I?

Please respond

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Do you have a trucha signed boot1?? I'm finding a way to update and that'll let you get bootmii later.

You can still install cIOS36 rev10 most likely or cIOS38 rev14 so you can then get good features to use a wad manager with a trucha bug.

There's a fix soon for Homebrew and the Wii system menu ok.

NNID
Budget_Player
Wow. This is insane, thank God I updated to 4.1 when I did. Thanks again for the help Bionic Sonic!

What does this mean for the future of soft-modding/homebrew? Will we be able to bypass this as we have in the past? I'm surprised they went so far as to remove BootMii, it serves to backup the Wii. It's not like BootMii installs wads, or anything illegal. It's stupid.

I hate Nintendo.

The only reason I got a Wii in the first place is because of Smash Brothers.

EDIT:

What's a "NSMB Wii?"
Sad thing is, Nintendo can go through all this trouble to try and prevent hacking, but cant doesnt want to add any additional features to games, and or patch them. Pathetic...
I like how they take more time screwing us then making their products good.
my exact thoughts on nintendo right now. wtf step up your games and/or try to fix old ones before trying to stop hackers. also glad that the only hack i use is bbrawl with stack smash LOL
Pretty much sums things up.
sooo at this point Nintendo is more interested on making patches rather than games for people to play. I mean, so many updates by now, and I'm willing to bet more than half of those patches are aimed towards hackers...
Pretty much says it all.

****. I still need to buy a wii, and now my options are restricted to used consoles and ebay. ****! What am I supposed to do now?

In general, nintendo has this paradoxical way of providing and denying different kinds of fanservice-it will **** out ****ty mario games that people stopped caring about after the 5th installment but still buy in hopes of something different until the end of time, but when it comes to catering to the hardcore crowd; the people who go as far as to hack the system to improve the games that nintendo not only won't but CAN'T patch to improve (seriously, it isn't possible with the internal firmware according to how the wii is set up) get shafted by updates that apparently aren't helpful for anything and can potentially brick the system just by updating.

It's like nintendo is desperate to shoot itself in the foot. I know what the skeptics are thinking, "It's about illegal playing". Well, at the same time it completely ****s those of us over who just want to do things like brawl+. Yes, I can imagine some kind of pride in there. That they want people to play their game, not an 'improved' version that they enjoy more. But at the same time, they are screwing people over so hard with this **** it's not even funny. Like others said, they can take the time to patch the system so that our current hacks don't work any more (apparently this patch was very poor, as within like, what, 72 hours? they already have a beta of a way around it), but they can't update the system to make patches possible. Or make good original games.

Let's not fool ourselves here; the Wii had potential but almost every game worth playing on it has at least 2 prequels; almost all of them a whole line dating back to the SNES or N64. Where are the games incorporating the wiimote controls the way we wish they could? The wii is worst-off in terms of graphics, power, and right now, think of the list of good games that don't have Mario, Zelda, or Metroid in the name (or, in this case, gameplay)-not exactly impressive (Don't get me started on sonic). So in general, what has nintendo done? It's made a bad console worse. And as long as it keeps printing money because of its absurd draw to the housewives and kiddies (granted, the xBox and PS franchises have the latter too, but would you sooner give your kid GTA, Halo, Street Fighter, or Super Mario Galaxy? I thought so), nintendo will keep shafting/ignoring the hardcore fanbase as much as it knows it can get away with.

In general, if it wasn't for SSBB (and to a lesser extent SMG and MP3:C), I wouldn't even be interested in buying a wii anymore. I've been a nintendo fanboy ever since I played Super Mario World 3 on the SNES, and now that glamor is fading, knowing that Nintendo is trying to remove exactly my demographic from the playing field. So **** nintendo, where should I go to look for a good used Wii?

EDIT: Why did I just spend so much time typing this?

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
Do you have a trucha signed boot1?? I'm finding a way to update and that'll let you get bootmii later.

You can still install cIOS36 rev10 most likely or cIOS38 rev14 so you can then get good features to use a wad manager with a trucha bug.

There's a fix soon for Homebrew and the Wii system menu ok.
Sorry I have no idea what a trucha is, if you mean the boot.dol files yes I still have them, Brawl+ and the Homebrew channel overall is still completely usable for me, however, Almas' File Replacement code won't work

And installing those files you said, what would that do to help this specific problem?

And you're saying there'll be a fix for the new menu soon? So then I should just wait until the fix is out, then download the new channel?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I can still remember when I accidentally deleted the HBC after updating to 4.0. That costed me big time until the Bannerbomb exploit showed itself.

System Menu 4.2 is definitely Homebrew's bane if you don't watch it. Just pray that the new Wii titles don't require a System Menu update.

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Nah, he means when did you buy your Wii? If it was before June 2008, you might have a "trucha-signed boot1," which can install BootMii as boot2 again.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
I don't think you have 4.2 Akuma. Check it yourself by going to data management to see if you do?

Q: Are upgrade packs safe?
A: Fail

From the HBC Faq.

Edit: According to Nintendo, we're not their hardcore fanbase anymore. Just a bunch of rats.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I updated to 4.2U.

I just did a wad install without preloader. Every time on startup it deletes HBC and DVDx, so its very impractical to run it. However, with a hardmodded 4.2U system menu, it could be a safe and easy update.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
NINTENDO SUCKS!!!!!!!
I wouldn't say that now but I don't like their new mentality.

IMO, It'll help them get through this bad economy, but when things get back to normal, the same mentality will become their worst enemy and may lead to their demise, especially when the Wii fad is over. I hope they change when the economy does.

So there is nothing to thinly disguise the fact that the update was solely for the purpose to destroy piracy and Homebrew? Not Even something like USB keyboard support for a channel? That's shameful.

I'm not updating. I'm keeping my Gecko OS and GC AR thank you.

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
Nah, he means when did you buy your Wii? If it was before June 2008, you might have a "trucha-signed boot1," which can install BootMii as boot2 again.
Yes I did, but how do I check if I have that?

I don't think you have 4.2 Akuma. Check it yourself by going to data management to see if you do?

From the HBC Faq.

Edit: According to Nintendo, we're not their hardcore fanbase anymore. Just a bunch of rats.
Where do i go in data management to check? I'm looking right now I can't find anything, When I go to the Wii system settings menu, it says Ver. 4.0U at the top right, is that my wii menu version listed? Cause I can't find anything in data management...

NNID
Budget_Player

From the HBC Faq.

Link to article?

IMO, It'll help them get through this bad economy, but when things get back to normal, the same mentality will become their worst enemy and may lead to their demise, especially when the Wii fad is over. I hope they change when the economy does.

So there is nothing to thinly disguise the fact that the update was solely for the purpose to destroy piracy and Homebrew? Not Even something like USB keyboard support for a channel? That's shameful.

Yeah. I think my post is still pretty accurate.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Well one thing is for certain, you're all good if your System Menu is 4.1 or lower. Otherwise, your Homebrew usage becomes highly limited.

My System Menu is still on 4.0, and I plan on keeping it that way since all that I wanted from 4.0 was the SD Card Menu. Also, Brawl gets boring when you can't do texture hacks.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
You should wait for a workaround that lets you access the Wii Shop Channel.
Does WiiSCU work for PAL regoins or is it for NTSC only?

metaXzero

Smash Champion

While I hate Nintendo's policies towards mods, I wouldn't call the Wii a fad. It's been what, 2/3 years now and it's still leading the pack? The Wii probably won't get caught up. The question now is will their next console keep their new audience...

But yeah. I wonder what goes into their mind to release an update that gives you nothing.

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
You should wait for a workaround that lets you access the Wii Shop Channel.
Does WiiSCU work for PAL regoins or is it for NTSC only?
It should work for PAL/JPN/NTSC Wii's. I can't say for sure since the wiibrew page doesn't list which regions, but most of the time its supported by all.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
No link to article, just how I see it. Nintendo's new hardcore fanbase are the guys who lovingly accept all of their games and business decisions as good for the consumer. Like when twilight princess was delayed for the gamecube just so it could be released on the wii first. Nintendo has other ppl buying their games now. We aren't really needed.

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
So, in my wii system settings menu, it says Ver. 4.0U at the top right, does that mean I still have the 4.0 wii menu?

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Yes. If you want to be safe, turn off WiiConnec24.

No link to article, just how I see it. Nintendo's new hardcore fanbase are the guys who lovingly accept all of their games and business decisions as good for the consumer. Like when twilight princess was delayed for the gamecube just so it could be released on the wii first. Nintendo has other ppl buying their games now. We aren't really needed.
For Now. Wait until the next console line on 4 or so years(or when the economy doesn't suck) and see what happens.

Back on topic, it's amazing that they could do all this for the system menu yet don't let us customize the skins or anything for that matter other than the channel order.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
One question. You need to turn on WiiConnect24 to compete in Mario Kart Wii tournaments and access the Nintendo Channel. Could this be a problem now that System Menu 4.2 is released?

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
Yes. Their was no auto-update.
Yes. Their was no auto-update.
Then why is it this code won't work, I did not touch my Wii from when I went to bed to when I woke up, and when I woke up and tried the code it wouldn't work, no one else touch's my system.

The system was flashing blue this morning, is it possible a certain file was removed or added that doesn't let this code work and nothing else was updated? My wiiconnect24 was on, I just turned it off recently, but Brawl+ and hombrew and textures and PSA hacks stick work, what is this madness?

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Personally, I'm not ungrateful. So long as the result is good, I enjoy what I end up playing. Stuff like this really annoys me however.

When I'm on a computer a month from now, I'll watch the vid. What's it about tho?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Yes they are. Trying to stop pirating and getting a stub on IOS250 that is below the current pirate version number is soo dumb. 1 line of code kills sooo much work lol. The entire update now has a trucha signed opening for good hackers.
That doesn't make them a bad company. You can pirate games with Homebrew. Of course they don't want people to use it.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
while we're on the topic of homebrew, what are the differences between gecko 1.9.1 and 1.9.2? Would someone who only uses homebrew for brawl+ (and presumably new games that would otherwise require an updated wii) have any reason to stay with the older one? I remember reading something somewhere that made me not want to update to 1.9.2, but i cant remember what it was... D: (i think it said something about discs being less efficient or something like that)
reposting.

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
What if Nintendo released an official Gecko channel?

One can dream...
What's the riddle?

On topic, yea Nintendo sucks with all the mod killing.

Also, got the code working, it has very strange requirements that I'm not sure of yet.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Looks like I'm screwed. Well, more like my brother is. He sent his Wii to get fixed not too long ago and I recall someone getting their Wii back with the 4.0 update.

Top Bottom