• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I still stand by the fact that Byleth, Min Min and the Aegis are here to primarily help Smash from not feeling dated, which is frankly why I never expected any non-recent 1st party character to begin with.

Smash Ult launched with 0 Switch-Era characters and 3 stages from the Switch, characters like Byleth, Min Min and Pythra helped keep Smash feeling "new" in regards to Nintendo content.
I gotta say, that's one argument that I never understood. Wouldn't laser-focusing on new stuff make the game feel more dated in the long run? Especially for series with rotating casts, where most of them can only make it now by being released in a specific timeframe?

Melee and Brawl didn't have a lot of content from their respective generations, and yet I don't remember ever hearing that complaint.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
which sold like pancakes too.
It didn't actually sell more than ARMS, ironically. It just had a more vocal fanbase because it had more stuff to talk about, even if that stuff included............

Shroob

Sup?
I gotta say, that's one argument that I never understood. Wouldn't laser-focusing on new stuff make the game feel more dated in the long run? Especially for series with rotating casts, where most of them can only make it now by being released in a specific timeframe?

Melee and Brawl didn't have a lot of content from their respective generations, and yet I don't remember ever hearing that complaint.
I mean, one could argue that Ultimate was dated when it launched since it had NOTHING on the roster from the Switch despite coming out after 2 of those games.

Like, back in the day, the big 3 "100% happening" picks for Smash Ult were "ARMS rep, XB2 rep, Gen 7 Pokemon", and we only got 1 of those base game.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You realize that selling still +1 million is VERY BIG for any game, right?
It's still the smallest franchise in FP2 by a long shot. You should probably hate that Nintendo wasted resources on it because of that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Like, for real. I just realized that we got this line about how a character being fun is more important than it being Famous...And then Sakurai just go

Let's Release Byleth, the protagonist of the most sold Fire Emblem Game Ever and Public's choice as the game of the year instead of stuff like Last of Us.
Let's Release Min-min, the character that won the popularity contest/tournament of ARMS a game that sold two million.
Let's Release Steve, the character of the most sold game of all time and armagedon of his own genre, survival sandbox.
Let's Release Sephiroth, THE anime swordman and legendary Vilain where just his theme make you knows he's coming even when you didn't play his game.
Let's Release Pyra and Mythra, The Bae and Postergirls of Xenoblade 2 (which even if I hate the base game, while Torna was based) which sold like pancakes too.
Let's Release Kazuya, from Tekken 7, at more than 7 millions sales and absolutely legendary as a character that appeared in almost all games.
Let's Release ****ING SORA, the most wanted character, real winner of the ballot, and protagonist who hang out with Donald and Goofy all because of an elevator pitch 20 years ago.

While he's absolutely right.
It didn't help his case
That line was always imparted with more weight than it really had considering Sakurai was applying it to characters like Samus, it does imply the character still needs to be recognizable, fun is... kinda subjective and the only real judges are the dev team, and all the third-parties we got after Terry were nowhere close to his degree of nicheness, which sort of indicated he was more an exception than a consistency.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
?
What? Why the **** would I do that?
Because apparently one character only appealing to a small group (IE: The Xenoblade fanbase vs. the FF fanbase) is apparently a bad thing.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Because apparently one character only appealing to a small group (IE: The Xenoblade fanbase vs. the FF fanbase) is apparently a bad thing.
Hey, I'll say it just one time.
Don't put words in my mouth ever again, go back, learn reading comprehension and then re-read what I said.

Thanks you.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Perhaps part of the reason it seems we have hit the "bottom of the barrel" (a statement I don't like), is the period between Smash 4 and Ultimate.

It was short, and not a lot of Nintendo things happened in it.

Compare to Melee to Brawl or Brawl to Smash 4, we had lots of new franchises, new landmark games for established ones, reboots, brand new characters that became popular and several characters rising and falling in importance.

What things happened between Smash 4 and Ultimate?

We got some games that weren't very popular (Star Fox Zero for example), Splatoon, Gen 7, and some Switch games that came out too late for major content in the base game.

That's not a ton to draw from.

We may need to let Smash rest for a while so that new Nintendo characters can stand their ground and form ther legacies. Min Min and Pyra/Mythra are some examples of this. They debuted in 2017. They got their chance in Smash several years after their debut, because at that point, they had solidified themselves as popular characters or notable IPs. And their reactions were positive.

We just need to let the Nintendo IPs breathe. More hype will come to them with time as new content and ideas come out. Maybe an old character or franchise will get a new revival. Maybe a franchise will make a new super popular character that becomes a must have.

We just need some time.

Ivander

Smash Legend
And there lies another issue: The pool of juggernauts isn't infinite. Even if we are able to get several in a row next game, that doesn't mean you can keep your standards high forever.
Tales
Resident Evil
Devil May Cry
Final Fantasy games outside of VII
Puyo Puyo
Halo
Doom
Yakuza
Fate
Ninja Gaiden
Ghosts N' Goblins
Getting characters from the already-stablished franchises like Chun-Li or Shadow
I don't know, that doesn't look like very little to me, and certainly looks like a bigger pool when compared to what newcomers Nintendo themselves have offered in this game.
If we're looking at the pool of 3rd Parties, we are far from empty regarding juggernauts. Whether they are huge franchises with lots of worldwide sales or characters with a lot of fan popularity, we are far from running out when it comes to 3rd Parties.

It's really when you get into Nintendo characters only that the pool gets smaller and that's mostly because Nintendo has released almost all of their juggernauts. There are still a few that would really get a lot of reception, but it's not like every Nintendo game or character is suddenly a juggernaut. So Nintendo can't just rely on their own juggernauts alone. Sometimes you got to get creative like what Sakurai does.
Like, for real. I just realized that we got this line about how a character being fun is more important than it being Famous...And then Sakurai just go

Let's Release Byleth, the protagonist of the most sold Fire Emblem Game Ever and Public's choice as the game of the year instead of stuff like Last of Us.
Last time I checked, Last of Us wasn't in 2019's list. And it was Sekiro that won Game of the Year compared to Death Stranding that everybody was expecting to win. It was the dreaded year where Last of Us 2 won Game of the Year and the Public said, "No, Ghost of Tsushima is Game of the Year."

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I mean, one could argue that Ultimate was dated when it launched since it had NOTHING on the roster from the Switch despite coming out after 2 of those games.

Like, back in the day, the big 3 "100% happening" picks for Smash Ult were "ARMS rep, XB2 rep, Gen 7 Pokemon", and we only got 1 of those base game.
Ok, but my point is more like... why would the game feel dated otherwise? I think the biggest reason people acted like that was because of the shift in direction from 4, actually.

You can make the point of marketability, right, but that's a different thing entirely from the roster not aging well. Olimar had to wait until Brawl to get in, for example, and Villager waited until 4. No one seems to think Melee's roster aged worse because of that.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Perhaps part of the reason it seems we have hit the "bottom of the barrel" (a statement I don't like), is the period between Smash 4 and Ultimate.

Compare to Melee to Brawl or Brawl to Smash 4, we had lots of new franchises, new landmark games for established ones, reboots, brand new characters that became popular and several characters rising and falling in importance.

We got some games that weren't very popular (Star Fox Zero for example), Splatoon, Gen 7, and some Switch games that came out too late for major content in the base game.

We may need to let Smash rest for a while so that new Nintendo characters can stand their ground and form ther legacies. Min Min and Pyra/Mythra are some examples of this. They debuted in 2017. They got their chance in Smash several years after their debut, because at that point, they had solidified themselves as popular characters or notable IPs. And their reactions were positive.

We just need to let the Nintendo IPs breathe. More hype will come to them with time as new content and ideas come out. Maybe an old character or franchise will get a new revival. Maybe a franchise will make a new super popular character that becomes a must have.

We just need some time.
Amen.
That's exactly what I meant.

Last time I checked, Last of Us wasn't in 2019's list. And it was Sekiro that won Game of the Year compared to Death Stranding that everybody was expecting to win. It was the dreaded year where Last of Us 2 won Game of the Year and the Public said, "No, Ghost of Tsushima is Game of the Year."
Damn, you're right, mea culpa. I legit got my dates mixed up! Thanks for correcting me!

Shroob

Sup?
Ok, but my point is more like... why would the game feel dated otherwise? I think the biggest reason people acted like that was because of the shift in direction from 4, actually.

You can make the point of marketability, right, but that's a different thing entirely from the roster not aging well. Olimar had to wait until Brawl to get in, for example, and Villager waited until 4. No one seems to think Melee's roster aged worse because of that.
Different era.

Melee and Brawl were long before the advent of DLC. Like, the rosters you got in those games were just 'what you got'. There was no way to change them. With DLC being normalized, nowadays, you'd expect games to be updated continuously.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Smash mods have really gotten me attached to weird niche characters being playable. take a look at PMEX's roster.

Knuckle Joe, Vectorman, Nu-13, Navvare, Metal Face. All niche characters, but here they are standing with Mario and Bomberman. They're all fun to play as as well.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
View attachment 333538

On quiet nights you can hear the screaming.
I mean...I'm part of the people who did buy Golden Sun on GBA (like it was very famous here in Europe for some reasons lmao)
I got Lost Age, and Dark Dawn.
But then, I heard that Dark Dawn literally sold like **** , which basically made the licence dormant . Is that true?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
But then, I heard that Dark Dawn literally sold like **** , which basically made the licence dormant . Is that true?
Well, not exactly godawful sales, it just failed to reach 1 million like the GBA titles did. Combine this with Punch-Out Wii having better reception, and it's easy to see why Little Mac could get promoted in 4 instead.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Different era.

Melee and Brawl were long before the advent of DLC. Like, the rosters you got in those games were just 'what you got'. There was no way to change them. With DLC being normalized, nowadays, you'd expect games to be updated continuously.
Yes, but these are still different arguments entirely.

Like, if Pyra/Mythra weren't in, for example, I don't think the roster would be worse off because we didn't get a pick from a new game. Maybe worse off because we didn't get a popular character, but it's not like the former is some big turn-off for a lot of people, while the latter would be.

Does that make sense?

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

Let's Release Min-min, the character that won the popularity contest/tournament of ARMS a game that sold two million.
Let's Release Steve, the character of the most sold game of all time and armagedon of his own genre, survival sandbox.
Let's Release Sephiroth, THE anime swordman and legendary Vilain where just his theme make you knows he's coming even when you didn't play his game.
Let's Release Pyra and Mythra, The Bae and Postergirls of Xenoblade 2 (which even if I hate the base game, while Torna was based) which sold like pancakes too.
Let's Release Kazuya, from Tekken 7, at more than 7 millions sales and absolutely legendary as a character that appeared in almost all games.
Let's Release ****ING SORA, the most wanted character, real winner of the ballot, and protagonist who hang out with Donald and Goofy all because of an elevator pitch 20 years ago.

It didn't help his case
Sakurai explained that he actually worked with a pre-release version of Three Houses while doing Byleth, and if the interview with Rare devs is anything to go by, the DLC characters were planned around 2018, so no, Byleth couldn't have been made with the sales success and the award in mind.

Other than that, you're right. The characters in FP2 are all based around popularity.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I mean...I'm part of the people who did buy Golden Sun on GBA (like it was very famous here in Europe for some reasons lmao)
I got Lost Age, and Dark Dawn.
I mean, it didn't sell nearly as well as the first two, and at that point making Mario play tennis and golf is probably just a safer proposition to get your money's worth if you're Nintendo. Camelot's not the biggest team.

But even when GS1 and 2 sold over a million each, it still took eight years to get the third, so idk. Nintendo just doesn't feel the love for GS. I'd think if you've seen it move the kind of units it has twice before, and then it underperforms once, you'd at least roll the dice one more time.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I feel issues with not getting characters from a console stem more from some need to fill in a quota so the roster looks neat from a history perspective. Like people who asked for Decidueye just so we could have a fully evolved starter for grass, fire and water.

Anyway, Virtual Boy character when?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

We just need some time.
To kind of add to this, we can already see this starting for some characters.

If at the start of Ultimate, someone told me that Waluigi was an uber popular request, I would not have believed them.

Less extremely, Bandana Waddle Dee's demand is only getting bigger and bigger. With more prominent roles, I can see him becoming a "must have" like Waluigi as well.

Dixie Kong too, if new DK games come out.

Seriously where is DK?

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Holy cow they're really advertising the hell outta this game

Its so surreal that they’re actually making Metroid their Holiday title.

Somehow Nintendo just kinda fixed the Franchise. Aside from AM2R they’ve nailed bringing Metroid out of the Dark Ages.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think another thing to remember is that Ultimate was largely created based on fan demand, and their own marketing interests.

Sure, we can sit here for hours and go back and forth about what we THINK could be added. But we have ample evidence that suggests Nintendo has a very specific approach to DLC. It also suggests, frankly, the following for base game:

1) Most recent Pokémon get in over older ones
2) Chrom is an exception to this for Fire Emblem (likely added based on popularity and ease of use as an echo)
3) Nintendo characters in Ultimate were either highly requested, or recent/marketed.

So as much as I love Isaac, Golden Sun would need, I suspect, a big time push revival.

Not every pick needs to be a megaton. But there are frankly given the approach Ultimate had, in attempting to satisfy as many people as possible at the same time, they absolutely reached that goal.

It’s interesting to me. We have so many fan wants, and dream matchups. They were literally hand picked from fan requests, something everybody wants the team to choose from. All of a sudden, we now have views suggesting they shouldn’t do that? I find that interesting a shift in opinion.

There’s nothing wrong with that opinion, mind you. It’s perfectly valid. I simply wholeheartedly disagree with it and find it the opposite side of what fans have wanted up to this point, which is why it’s interesting to me.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It’s interesting to me. We have so many fan wants, and dream matchups. They were literally hand picked from fan requests, something everybody wants the team to choose from. All of a sudden, we now have views suggesting they shouldn’t do that? I find that interesting a shift in opinion.

There’s nothing wrong with that opinion, mind you. It’s perfectly valid. I simply wholeheartedly disagree with it and find it the opposite side of what fans have wanted up to this point, which is why it’s interesting to me.
There's a difference between "no more big icons" and "FP2 took advantage of the idea that big icons attract bigger crowds too much, leaving no breathing room for smaller characters except Pythra".

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think another thing to remember is that Ultimate was largely created based on fan demand, and their own marketing interests.

Sure, we can sit here for hours and go back and forth about what we THINK could be added. But we have ample evidence that suggests Nintendo has a very specific approach to DLC. It also suggests, frankly, the following for base game:

1) Most recent Pokémon get in over older ones
2) Chrom is an exception to this for Fire Emblem (likely added based on popularity and ease of use as an echo)
3) Nintendo characters in Ultimate were either highly requested, or recent/marketed.

So as much as I love Isaac, Golden Sun would need, I suspect, a big time push revival.

Not every pick needs to be a megaton. But there are frankly given the approach Ultimate had, in attempting to satisfy as many people as possible at the same time, they absolutely reached that goal.

Jones, I dont think a single person said they should stop listening to fan requests.

That's a pretty blatant strawman.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

It didn't help his case
It's a shame we didn't get any other Terry-type characters. The smaller but highly influential third-party niche has a lot of potential characters, but they all just got left untapped.

Granted, knowing my interests I'm more than a little biased...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Jones, I dont think a single person said they should stop listening to fan requests.

That's a pretty blatant strawman.
Eh, I’m not so sure it’s really an argument as much as it is an observation.

The points I’ve seen were: Not every pick needs to be a “megaton”, which, sure. They don’t have to be. But if we’re talking about not adding Steve (fan want) or Cloud (fan want) or Sora (fan want) for example, is that not suggesting that smaller tier characters should take priority over “megaton” fan requests? At least, that’s my interpretation.

Nobody blatantly said that, but that seems to be, to me, what is being said.
There's a difference between "no more big icons" and "FP2 took advantage of the idea that big icons attract bigger crowds too much, leaving no breathing room for smaller characters except Pythra".
I don’t see how that’s taking advantage of anything when millions of people were satisfied by the picks they revealed.

It seems to me more that the picks in question weren’t your choice of preference. That’s ok! I just don’t think anybody took advantage of anything when the characters they chose were genuinely stellar picks. I just don’t see how that stands to reason whatsoever. (Granted, I believe they are stellar picks. Others may think differently).

Sakurai and Iwata had a vision for the game, and they followed through on it. Your vision may have been different, but that’s the whole thing: overall satisfaction is subjective. But given the numbers of sales and reaction to the picks in the DLC most folks are overwhelmingly pleased.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don’t see how that’s taking advantage of anything when millions of people were satisfied by the picks they revealed.
Because they could've just stopped at Steve and Sephiroth in terms of massive icons to get a good chunk of gamers interested in buying FP2 anyway?

Granted, I am fine with Tekken representation, mind you, but I was hoping "Smash always ends in someone disappointing" meant "remember those Nintendo picks you thought were bottom of the barrel? yeah you're getting one, enjoy."

SharkLord

Smash Hero

We just need some time.
Huh, never thought about it that way, but now that you think of it you're absolutely right. Aside from the 64/Melee gap, which was rushed and had a lot of bases left to cover anyways, Melee to Brawl and then Brawl to 4 had about six years of uninterrupted wait time. 4 to Ultimate, though, that went straight from one to the other. The gap between release was only four years, and when counting the DLC, it's only two or three.

I think both the speculators and the game itself need some time to recharge and reset, honestly.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
This DLC cycle was underwhelming. None of the new characters did anything for me... Which is fine. My biggest complaint is that we didn't get any new content. I was hoping for updates to the stage creator, or for Adventure mode to somehow slip it's way into the game. I would've easily repurchased Smash, and then dropped an extra $25 bucks just for an adventure mode with various platforming sections.

Edit: I know we got spirits, but spirits weren't a good addition to Smash. The mode itself is incredibly boring, and the weapon triangle aspect makes most of the fights a breeze. Goodluck taking out my Ridley with 4 jumps, damage reduction, and increased Smash attack power.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Eh, I’m not so sure it’s really an argument as much as it is an observation.

The points I’ve seen were: Not every pick needs to be a “megaton”, which, sure. They don’t have to be. But if we’re talking about not adding Steve (fan want) or Cloud (fan want) or Sora (fan want) for example, is that not suggesting that smaller tier characters should take priority over “megaton” fan requests? At least, that’s my interpretation.
You are equivocating. And I'm starting to wonder if its intentional.

Look at it this way.

We don't want to trade the big teddy bear for a smaller one.

We want the big teddy bear and the smaller one. But people only understand the love of the big teddy bear. We want people to appreciate the smaller one too.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Because they could've just stopped at Steve and Sephiroth in terms of massive icons to get a good chunk of gamers interested in buying FP2 anyway?

Granted, I am fine with Tekken representation, mind you, but I was hoping "Smash always ends in someone disappointing" meant "remember those Nintendo picks you thought were bottom of the barrel? yeah you're getting one, enjoy."
So, forgive if I’m reading this wrong, they shouldn’t have added Sora despite him being the literal most wanted character by Smash fans as the final pick of a record-breaking, biggest media crossover of all time game?

I’m not sure I agree there, but to each their own.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Uh...

No.

I want all the teddy bears. Big and small.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So, forgive if I’m reading this wrong, they shouldn’t have added Sora despite him being the literal most wanted character by Smash fans as the final pick of a record-breaking, biggest media crossover of all time game?

I’m not sure I agree there, but to each their own.
Alternatively they could've had Sora in Sephiroth's place and CP11 continues to be business as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom