• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't see Crash being a Mii costume unless the final character is another Activision character.
What if it’s Tracer?

wait… oh GOD… people are gonna be SUPER PISSED cuz of the Blizzard controversies, including but not limited to Blitzchung as that one DIRECTLY involved Overwatch

I’m counting Activision and Blizzard as one, being a conglomerate

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Byleth is a character who is PERFECTLY fine to me personally but I think a combination of FE fatigue, when they were revealed, and having probably the worst trailer out of the ultimate ones didn't help

Byleth's trailer going on for like 4 minutes, with you knowing who it is right away, with no fun smash crossover twist within the trailer, and some, honestly I hate to be rude, really lame dialogue coming from Sothis in particular I think didn't help the character at all, I knew nothing about Terry and Kazuya going into their trailers but their trailers helped sell me on the character in a way I think Byleth really failed with, personally at least i'm sure this is someone's favorite trailer

it's. it's still better than isabelle's lol

anyway byleth's fine, their stage is fine, their music is fine, honestly if smash was to cut a chunk of the roster i'd honestly say i wouldn't mind if byleth was the one of the fire emblems that got to stay, removed from smash culture and what not they're a more unique choice in the realm of fire emblem people

it should've been hilda. I think it'd be really funny to see that character in smash bros
I'm pretty sure Byleth is here to stay because not only he represent the Weapon trio of the franchise but also Three houses is very important to the franchise in the same way that botw changed how we see Zelda today (I'm pretty sure that the next Fire emblem, while it's not going to be Three houses 2, is going to be heavily influenced by Three houses like the school thing and the batallion).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Can somebody who dislikes Isabelle's trailer tell me how they'd personally improve it? Not meant as an attack, I just don't know what the issue is and get confused when it's brought up, since I can't really think of how I'd have made it any better.
...Maybe if you added more plot? Like maybe she starts her day, works her butt off, and goes home several times in a montage, and then laments about the mayor's absence?

It would at least make people more sympathetic to Isabelle's plight rather than just being like "OK so she's pantomiming her job...Villager's in Super Smash Bros...And now she is too. Yay?"

Jondolio

Smash Hero
It's funny because I used to hate Fire Emblem characters before even Corrin was revealed. I was upset when Robin and Lucina were announced because I was a dumb kid who wanted different characters, but after playing Awakening they all grew on me.
Corrin is the opposite, I was fine with them initially but got soured on them after playing their game.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m perfectly fine getting more Fire Emblem characters. I enjoy the games and really like a lot of characters. I just wish we could branch out from almost exclusively lords. I feel the same way about starter Pokémon.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
What if it’s Tracer?

wait… oh GOD… people are gonna be SUPER PISSED cuz of the Blizzard controversies, including but not limited to Blitzchung as that one DIRECTLY involved Overwatch

i'm already tracer
Yeah. That's going to be the reaction no matter which actiblizz character it is though.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
The FE fatigue I've seen first hand (playing with good friends in person) is that many of the FE reps 'are the same'

To elaborate some friends who aren't into the speculation scene like we all are here don't like how Roy is/was a clone of Marth/Lucina is a clone of Marth/Chrom is a clone of Roy who is a clone of Marth - they see a majority of the FE reps as the same character with a different skin. So every time a new FE character is revealed - to them its just another Marth.

Robin, Corrin, and Byleth are nowhere near being clones but that doesn't matter in the court of personal opinion where minds are already made up.

For the record these people also say "oof another pokemon??" but they give the pokemon a chance because it is different enough to see what's what

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly as someone who's actually rooting for Waluigi, the most baffling part of...whatever that was earlier is the idea of calling Fire Emblem characters "generic swordsmen with no personality" and then in the same breath stanning the Mario cast. You know, the series that is literally corporately mandated to have its characters be as generic, one note, and blandly inoffensive as possible.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Hot take: I'm fine with Byleth having all 3 House Leader Relics in their moveset and not just the SotC.

While there's no route in the actual game of 3H where Byleth can use all 3 relics at once (at most they can have 2 in the Azure Moon route), they are still theoretically able to use any 3 of the relics, and do so safely IIRC, so them wielding all 3 in Smash isn't much of a stretch. And while some people maybe wish there could have been more SotC or sword whip stuff, I dunno, I feel we see quite a bit of the SotC, from the rapid jab, their tilts, their up special, up-smash and Up-air, and their final smash; I feel they did enough cool stuff with the sword personally.

Also I have had quite a bit of fun with Byleth's moveset personally.

So yeah, Byleth I thought was a fine inclusion to Smash ultimate, and is even personally my favorite inclusion of FP1. I will also say that even if someone DOES take issue with FE's large cast of characters in Smash, that Byleth is atleast one of the more inoffensive picks, considering how successful and well-received 3H was. Comparatively, Corrin and their games were much more divisive/controversial to the FE fanbase, and then there's Roy who, putting my Melee nolstagia glasses aside, doesn't really make much sense from a "representing FE" PoV when Binding Blade AFAIK has never been one of the bigger or more popular titles in the franchise, and Roy himself was never really that popular amongst the actual FE fanbase (most of his popularity comes from the Smash fanbase really thanks to Melee). Then there's Awakening, which DOES certainly "deserve" a rep for how big of a deal the game was for FE, but, like, did it really need 3 reps? (I know a couple of the Awakening reps were just echoes, so I don't personally care that much, but still...)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think any kind of Activision Blizzard content should wait for next Smash

hopefully, HOPEFULLY, that ActiBlizz has drastically cleaned up their act since then

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
He was player 2 and then some in Rainbow Curse and also the "canon" player 2 of Fighters 2's story mode. The comparisons to Toad are common but as of late HAL has seemingly wanted to market him more as a Luigi.
I don't think using Rainbow Curse or Fighters 2 as references to his importance makes him all that much more believable. Meta Knight and Dedede are often in the way with games they feature in, whereas you can technically play both of those games you sampled without Bandana Dee showing up, changing nothing. Even Captain Toad, the comparison I'd usually make, technically has more substance in the spotlight than that.

Bakabridget

Smash Cadet
NNID
Bakabridget
What if it’s Tracer?

I'm pretty sure that was hearthstone.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
What if it’s Tracer?

I’m still hoping for a WarCraft or StarCraft character but Diablo would be great too. I’m trying to separate the character from the developer since I’ve loved those characters since I was in high school and it’s hard to just stop just because the current people in the company are horrible.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Black Mage would be a fantastic FF character instead of Vivi

:troll:

:c

Imma need you to calm down sir this puppy genocide will not stand!

:mad088:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Byleth's an okay addition to me.

Only thing that really bothered me about them was their jpeg final smash. Would've preferred something utilizing the gambit mechanic from their game.
Speaking of JPEG final smashes

I still find it hilarious whenever Joker and Hero’s Final Smashes lag

they use a pre rendered cinematic

Last edited:

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
From my own personal viewpoint: as someone not very familiar with Fire Emblem, its Smash reps genuinely blend into each other in my eyes. This being on account of all of them being fantasy medieval/renaissance-esque swordsmen, mages, what have you, with mostly accurate human anatomy. It gets boring. For other heavily represented series, like Mario, Zelda and Pokémon, every character at least looks unique in appearance, attire and proportions. Even other similarly """"anime"""" fighters like Joker and Pythra look far more interesting to me, even if I have no investment in their games, either.

Maybe this outlook will change the day I finally get around to playing Three Houses. But for now I can't say I'm not seeing where the "anime swordsman" detractors are coming from, even if they often apply it to non-FE characters as well. I would be quite bored with the final fighter being an FE character, simply because I fear that, visual design-wise, it wouldn't bring anything new to the table.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Honestly as someone who's actually rooting for Waluigi, the most baffling part of...whatever that was earlier is the idea of calling Fire Emblem characters "generic swordsmen with no personality" and then in the same breath stanning the Mario cast. You know, the series that is literally corporately mandated to have its characters be as generic, one note, and blandly inoffensive as possible.
Yeah, while Marth is fairly generic, Roy might be too, and we've already discussed Cardboard-Kun at length, the other characters we've gotten do have their own distinct personalities that you can get attached to (not to say that you can't get attached to the more vanilla characters either). Even the other avatars, Robin and Byleth have their quirks, with Robin being kind of a nerdy goof who loves bear jerky, and Byleth's lack of a personality being used as a point of intrigue (also his first character interaction can be you telling Sothis that you're a demon which is the most "I am the night" thing ever. lol)

Super Smash Bros. just isn't all that great at portraying multiple aspects of it's deeper (usually RPG) characters. For example, the Shulk in Super Smash Bros. is "just havin' a good time battling" Shulk, with war path Shulk and kinda dorky Shulk being nowhere to be seen.

You mean a counter attack?

Because that's all time manipulation amounts to in Smash (see: Shulk, Bayonetta)
Not all of it though. You might just not have noticed it yet since Mythra's still 10 parallel universes ahead of you. :troll:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I better start shilling AiAi for CP11 now.

Probably not, but he'd be funny as all hell, especially if he's true to his games and therefore harder to wield than Kazuya.
He do got a figure tho
1632941550649.png

I’d say Isabelle’s trailer was the blandest

not necessarily the worst though
It's extremely hard to outbland Punchy McFight guy's red clone punching and fighting on a stage that's already in the game only to be interrupted by tony the tiger's cousin from the bad side of town.

But Isabelle's trailer definitely comes close.

Last edited by a moderator:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Been watching marvels what if episode 8 and watching it has desperately made me want someone from the mcu in smash with all the infinity stones so that we can see a god like moveset. It could be anyone as long as they wild the infinity stones

unfortunately it can never happen due to being 4th party but man, I wish it could.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
It's an assumption that Fire Emblem characters look similar so they must be the same in terms of characterisation, which is an argument that really doesn't work.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
If we're beating this dead horse I'm gonna say my two cents. Byleth isn't a bad inclusion, I'd say he's actually a really good one. Corrin is a bad inclusion. Lucina or Chrom (neither are bad on their own, just together) are bad inclusions. Hell, Roy is a bad inclusion. All of them have far less of a reason to be added than Byleth, and they all contribute to the over-representation of FE, which made the fanbase blow up at a character who in any other circumstance would be well received (or at least tolerated).

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Oh I see, so we're talking about a different DLC character every day until 10/5? That's neat! Guess I missed out on Joker and Terry day, which is a shame as they are objectively awesome characters that were both implemented perfectly. I would've loved to gush about them.

But that's not important. Looks like it's hate on Byleth day talk about Byleth day. I'll be real - I don't have awesome things to say. Byleth was pretty disappointing for me. I remember getting up at like 8 am right after finishing up a late night shift at work. I was tired as hell, but excited to see who was revealed. I literally rolled over to my bedside table, grabbed my phone, waited for the trailer to start...and then immediately lost interest. I remember falling back asleep while Sakurai was talking about Byleth's moveset. I didn't mean to! I just didn't care! Byleth is the only character that has had this effect on me. I'm an optimistic guy and I find a way to love just about every character Sakurai adds. Usually I'm happy to lose sleep for the sake of seeing the next Smash reveal. Heck, even though I've never played a Banjo game, it was still fun to watch BK's announcement. And even though I didn't enjoy Xenoblade 2, I was still happy to watch the Pyra presentation. I liked Three Houses!... and yet I just couldn't care less about Byleth in Smash.

I am not a Fire Emblem hater. Awakening is one of my favorite games of all time and some of my favorite Smash characters, stages, music tracks, etc. are from Fire Emblem. Back in Smash 4, Robin was one of my most wanted characters so I'm more than grateful that he was added, Lucina was my waifu in Awakening so I was happy to see her, and Roy's our boy! But admittedly...I've been tired of new FE characters since Corrin. Their moveset is fine and I appreciate Fates for what it is, but I just couldn't get excited about seeing another FE character. I know that it isn't worth getting worked up about a series being over-represented, or under-represented, but I can't help from feeling burnt out on FE fighters in Smash. They could add my favorite unit and give them an amazing moveset and I'd still probably have a lukewarm reaction. I like seeing new franchises in Smash, especially as DLC. If we're gonna add someone from a pre-existing franchise, then I'd prefer it to be for a series that "deserves it." (I know that a lot of people don't like that phrasing, but it's the best way I can put it) A major franchise like Mario or Zelda that has a ton of iconic characters, or a series that's lacking major characters in Smash like F-Zero or Splatoon. Fire Emblem just isn't what comes to mind. That is, of course, in my humble opinion.

I don't want to be one of those downers who thinks that Byleth is awful and has no redeeming qualities. I'm happy for the Byleth fans out there! Their moveset is perfectly fine and it's cool to see Three Houses stuff in Smash. I just want to explain why I personally just couldn't feel excited about their inclusion.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Been watching marvels what if episode 8 and watching it has desperately made me want someone from the mcu in smash with all the infinity stones so that we can see a god like moveset. It could be anyone as long as they wild the infinity stones

unfortunately it can never happen due to being 4th party but man, I wish it could.
  • Reality: "Time to barf some hitboxes."
  • Time: "I am speed."
  • Soul: "GET WOMBO COMBOED!!!"
  • Space: "Hope you like being in a box."
  • Mind: "I'm worthless!"
We ain't ready...

Noipoi

Howdy!
I love Three Houses

I think Byleth is lame as hell.

Literally any other character from that game I would be happy with. But no, we got the bland boring doofy looking protagonist. And don’t get me wrong, I understand why they were chosen I’m not saying it doesn’t make sense. I just don’t like it. Also they’re trailer is the worst in smash history.

They’re moveset is okay. Not really my thing but every once in a while I play a match with them and they’re pretty fun. The stage is okay, and I think the music is just okay. Byleth is okay. Just not for me.

But hey, if they rock your socks then more power to you. I’m happy you’re happy with them.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m gonna go sulk because it wasn’t Claude.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
  • Reality: "Time to barf some hitboxes."
  • Time: "I am speed."
  • Soul: "GET WOMBO COMBOED!!!"
  • Space: "Hope you like being in a box."
  • Mind: "I'm worthless!"
We ain't ready...
could you imagine FP11 being a marvel character wielding all infinity stones and the trailer was a continuation of marvel what if episode 8 with marvel breaking the multiverse open and that specific character ending in smash bros ultimate.

the world would deffo not be ready

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom