• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
im sorry you've had an acocunt since 2014 people have explained to DEATH why zelda doesnt get another character. zelda is repped by items, stages, and music. Zelda and its games revolve around 3 characters, and all three are in smash. When a chaarcter like midna and impa cant get in its pretty telling. Each FE game has a new cast and has fans of every cast.

Kirby basically same deal as zelda its major characters are all here.
Yes, I’m sorry I‘ve had an account since 2014 too

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I didn't really enjoy playing as Byleth when I tried them. It's weird considering I usually enjoy slower characters with meatier hits. I figured I'd give them a chance before writing them off but nothing really clicked.

Speaking of characters with debatable merit who ended up being really fun to play... Incineroar! I'd be hard-pressed to say he had any good reason to be in the game but I've come to be kind of glad he is. What a fun character.
Pokemon is the highest grossing media franchise and Gen 6 was the latest gen so that is a big reason why Incineroar got in outside of the wrestler motif. Pokemon privilege is a thing since a unique slot was reserved for it in Smash 4 and Ultimate despite the latter only having 6 non-echo newcomers in the base roster.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
User was warned for this post
Speaking of characters with debatable merit who ended up being really fun to play... Incineroar! I'd be hard-pressed to say he had any good reason to be in the game but I've come to be kind of glad he is. What a fun character.
He had a lot of reason to get in. He was a new pokemon from the latest generation, not blue haired anime man from Fire Emblem #85.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I wonder if another character like Edelgarde or Dimitri would have been received better than Byleth. I would have certainly been more excited for them at least.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Why am I agreeing with Wah on something? That's not supposed to happen...
Eh. I'd rather keep a distance from this kerfuffle though...
Y'all have fun, okay?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Anyway we were robbed of having Shambhala as a music track

screw God Shattering Star I want my dubstep

(I’m trying real hard to change the subject here jckdjsooso)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People shocked at the negativity towards Byleth better strap in because we're halfway through the retrospective and there are still polarizing picks left. This isn't even the first character there have been mixed things said about during the look back.

It's not "say something nice about x day", people are going back to talk about how the felt about a given character on a given day. Not all of it is going to be positive, not all of it needs to be positive, and that's fine. As long as they can be civil, people should be able to say how they feel.

We shouldn't even bother doing the rest if dissent can't exist without hostility. Someone dislikes a character you like? You can either be exasperated about it, or you can shrug it off. One person saying they didn't like how Banjo was implemented had the thread spinning over itself for pages. Just live and let live, say what you want to say about the character, who gives a ****. They're not going anywhere. And we're almost done anyway.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Luckily for me and maybe the rest of y'all, Byleth is the only DLC character - or Ultimate newcomer in general, I have any non-nice things to say about. Even Min Min, I can get down with.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I wonder if another character like Edelgarde or Dimitri would have been received better than Byleth. I would have certainly been more excited for them at least.
A common criticism I've seen is how Byleth's moveset tried too hard to be different from swordies despite Byleth having plenty of unique things to offer without the weapon master angle, so you're right as Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude would focus more on their strengths instead of trying to be multiple different things

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Long Answer: The main reason why people hate Byleth is due to Fire Emblem fatigue. If we didn't get so many Fire Emblem characters both new, old, and Echo Fighter, in such a short span of time, we wouldn't have people screaming about how Fire Emblem is a nothing franchise despite Nintendo treating it like one of it's biggest IPs as of late. Having the character be someone else might make Fire Emblem fans be happier with the inclusion, but everyone who was hating on the series would still hate it.

Short Answer: lol no.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
The biggest problem with including one of the house leaders over Byleth is that you would then have people argue about why war criminal y should've been included over war criminal x
The guy is less important than those two but he is still clearly treated as a main character, being called a fan favourite legacy character. So yes, he is a main character.
And yet the fact remains he's never had a bigger role than player 4, and even that wasn't until Return to Dream Land. Just because he's treated that way doesn't mean he is

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
People shocked at the negativity towards Byleth better strap in because we're halfway through the retrospective and there are still polarizing picks left. This isn't even the first character there have been mixed things said about during the look back.

It's not "say something nice about x day", people are going back to talk about how the felt about a given character on a given day. Not all of it is going to be positive, not all of it needs to be positive, and that's fine. As long as they can be civil, people should be able to say how they feel.

We shouldn't even bother doing the rest if dissent can't exist without hostility. Someone dislikes a character you like? You can either be exasperated about it, or you can shrug it off. One person saying they didn't like how Banjo was implemented had the thread spinning over itself for pages. Just live and let live, say what you want to say about the character, who gives a ****. They're not going anywhere. And we're almost done anyway.
I mean the main difference here is Banjo was just "I don't like these certain aspects" and they got jumped for it.
Here plenty of people have voiced issues with Byleth and not been jumped, it's the one guy being a complete ass about it that's drawing ire.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
And yet the fact remains he's never had a bigger role than player 4, and even that wasn't until Return to Dream Land. Just because he's treated that way doesn't mean he is
He was player 2 and then some in Rainbow Curse and also the "canon" player 2 of Fighters 2's story mode. The comparisons to Toad are common but as of late HAL has seemingly wanted to market him more as a Luigi.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
A common criticism I've seen is how Byleth's moveset tried too hard to be different from swordies despite Byleth having plenty of unique things to offer without the weapon master angle, so you're right as Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude would focus more on their strengths instead of trying to be multiple different things
Yeah, that’s a big part of it for me. Another reason is that I tend to prefer characters that aren’t silent avatars personally. It’s hard for me to care much about a character that never talks or shows much personality. That’s why I would rather have any other Chrono Trigger character than Crono himself. I’ve warmed up to Crono after thinking about how he could incorporate dual techs with the rest of the cast but I’d still rather have Magus, Frog, or Ayla.

Ivander

Smash Legend
New Pokemon from a new Pokemon game: Makes total sense and reason for them to be in.
New main character from a new Fire Emblem game: There was no reason for them to get in.

So, Nick All-Stars Battle, Super Monkey Ball, Metroid Dread, CP11 Revealed. And that's just the start of October.

Last edited:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
So, About this Whole Smash DLC does not end on a high note.

What if it is a bit of both?

Big fighter = __ CP11 = fighter __ = __ Ahri

lots of disappointing mii fighters

Master Chief = Mii Gunner
Crash Bandicoot = Mii brawler
Hollow Knight = Mii Sword Fighter

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
People shocked at the negativity towards Byleth better strap in because we're halfway through the retrospective and there are still polarizing picks left.
Yup:
  • Min Min and her "hitting you from halfway across Final Destination" thing.
  • Steve and his mixture of apathy and artstyle clash opinions.
  • Sephiroth and...OK I don't think this day will get heated.
  • Pyra & Mythra and...well a few different things, but to not start the discussion now I'll just say "Foresight".
  • Kazuya and...actually people really like Kazuya.
Yeah this won't be the only day of negativity by a long shot.

I mean the main difference here is Banjo was just "I don't like these certain aspects" and they got jumped for it.
Here plenty of people have voiced issues with Byleth and not been jumped, it's the one guy being a complete ass about it that's drawing ire.
In hindsight, Hero's day was funny because people had negative things to say, but everyone had the same opinion so there was no debate. lol

Gengar84

Smash Hero
So is it pretty unanimously decided that Ahri would be the chosen LOL rep? There are a lot of cool characters I’d love to see but I’d be fine with her too.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah, that’s a big part of it for me. Another reason is that I tend to prefer characters that aren’t silent avatars personally. It’s hard for me to care much about a character that never talks or shows much personality. That’s why I would rather have any other Chrono Trigger character than Crono himself. I’ve warmed up to Crono after thinking about how he could incorporate dual techs with the rest of the cast but I’d still rather have Magus, Frog, or Ayla.
To be fair, Sakurai actually did help make Byleth more goofy to make up for this and Joker was brimming with personality despite being a silent protag too

MarioKartRenderOwner

Smash Cadet
Byleth is a character who is PERFECTLY fine to me personally but I think a combination of FE fatigue, when they were revealed, and having probably the worst trailer out of the ultimate ones didn't help

Byleth's trailer going on for like 4 minutes, with you knowing who it is right away, with no fun smash crossover twist within the trailer, and some, honestly I hate to be rude, really lame dialogue coming from Sothis in particular I think didn't help the character at all, I knew nothing about Terry and Kazuya going into their trailers but their trailers helped sell me on the character in a way I think Byleth really failed with, personally at least i'm sure this is someone's favorite trailer

it's. it's still better than isabelle's lol

anyway byleth's fine, their stage is fine, their music is fine, honestly if smash was to cut a chunk of the roster i'd honestly say i wouldn't mind if byleth was the one of the fire emblems that got to stay, removed from smash culture and what not they're a more unique choice in the realm of fire emblem people

it should've been hilda. I think it'd be really funny to see that character in smash bros

FreeFox

Smash Lord
New Pokemon from a new Pokemon game: Makes total sense and reason for them to be in.
New main character from a new Fire Emblem game: There was no reason for them to get in.

So, Nick All-Stars Battle, Super Monkey Ball, Metroid Dread, CP11 Revealed. And that's just the start of October.
Hey! No reason to bring Pokemon into this. What do they have to do with FE.
Also, Pokemon got its share of undeserved hate during base speculation. Especially thanks to stupid Grinch leak, Vergeben and box theory.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Crono I think is an "actions speak louder than words" character. He never speaks (except in a single ending), but in some of the more intense scenes, that kind of makes him cooler than if he did have dialogue.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Hey, Incineroar did grow on me as a fighter but I still stand by there being no reason for him to get in! I don't think that's contradictory. Just goes to show Sakurai and his team are good at what they do.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Can somebody who dislikes Isabelle's trailer tell me how they'd personally improve it? Not meant as an attack, I just don't know what the issue is and get confused when it's brought up, since I can't really think of how I'd have made it any better.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Can somebody who dislikes Isabelle's trailer tell me how they'd personally improve it? Not meant as an attack, I just don't know what the issue is and get confused when it's brought up, since I can't really think of how I'd have made it any better.
I don't know for improvements but the issues are commonly seen as pacing and just not feeling like a Smash trailer, no funny quips or anything either, just what looked like an announcement for a new Animal Crossing and then suddenly Smash at the last possible second to acknowledge it's actually about Smash

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’d say Isabelle’s trailer was the blandest

not necessarily the worst though

Super Devon

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I have no reason to hate Fire Emblem characters in Smash, they're all cool, with :ultroy: being my personal favorite.
Though I was initially upset with :4corrin:'s reveal in Smash 4, simply because I was heavily looking forward to Fire Emblem Fates as Awakening was the first FE game I've played and beaten, at the time and the game wasn't out in the west yet, I thought his inclusion was unnecessary at best.

The same cannot be said with :ultbyleth:, I was actually very alright with his inclusion, and overall satisfied, as I watched my bro play a lot of FE Three Houses prior.

Wait, I feel like I've said this before

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom