• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Okie-dokie, I'm ready to get the thread back on track, if anybody else is interested.

Now then, let's start with a question.

Could anybody here potentially see our last fighter being indie? Even with all the non-fighter content added?
While I love Undertale and would be elated if Frisk were to get in, I kinda doubt they will this time around.

It's just that I have a hard time believing that Toby Fox and Nintendo would put a new remix of the most iconic Undertale song behind a separate paywall. Would they really sell Megalovania separately from the main challenger pack? I'd love to be proven wrong

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think I could... But while I love Undertale and would be elated if Frisk were to get in, I kinda doubt they will this time around.

It's just that I have a hard time believing that Toby Fox and Nintendo would put a new remix of the most iconic Undertale song behind a separate paywall. Would they really sell Megalovania separately from the main challenger pack? I'd love to be proven wrong
Puts on tinfoil hat

Also factor in Toby Fox going to Japan and visiting Sakurai at his house playing Smash which he apparently beat him in.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Okie-dokie, I'm ready to get the thread back on track, if anybody else is interested.

Could anybody here potentially see our last fighter being indie? Even with all the non-fighter content added?
With all the curveball choices for characters I previously thought were very unlikely (Steve, Sephiroth) I honestly don't know what to expect. An Indie character isn't necessarily an unreasonable choice tbh. Altough since it is the last character I'm expecting it to be cinderace or another lame first party promotional pick because Smash almost never ends on a high note with character reveals.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I think I could... But while I love Undertale and would be elated if Frisk were to get in, I kinda doubt they will this time around.

They could offer a discount for either if you purchased the first. It'd probably just be a few cents US, but it'd still be something.
Give me Reimu or give me Death. I mean, seriously, I'd be down for another Castlevania rep.
I didn't know Castlevania and Touhou crossed over! Makes me wonder, how many big names has the latter gotten together with?

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman

I feel like the biggest candidate for indie is Reimu. She's basically the queen of indie games. Wouldn't be that hard to get the rights to either.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
This week's spirit event is...

GameCube spirits! After all, it turns 20 next week...
Don't mind me, just posting beautiful nostalgia relevant to tonight's announcement.

What? But we have the echo fighters versions of that opening that should be acknowledged too.

Shroob

Sup?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly... the fact that we're getting Twitter reveals is making me think we won't have a direct in a while.

Like that recent Metroid trailer. That would have been perfect for a direct.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

I still can't shake the thought of Frisk or another Undertale character from my mind.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly... the fact that we're getting Twitter reveals is making me think we won't have a direct in a while.

Like that recent Metroid trailer. That would have been perfect for a direct.
Ehhhh.

I don't see why. We've already got 2 Directs this year.

Even last year when we didn't have a proper Direct, we had the Mario 35th one and a handful of Direct Minis in September.

If the NSO rumors are true, I don't see them dropping that randomly on Twitter.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Undertale spirits could’ve shown up like Cuphead spirits did but didn’t
Just saying

Also, the spirit event is nice. Love to see the Gamecube getting recognized in this fashion.
Though is that the Poltergust 3000 I see? 👀

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yes.

With Nintendo putting a spotlight on Indie Games in the past couple of years with stuff like Indie World and before that Nindies, they've established Indie Games are a very important part of Nintendo and video games altogether. Even though he stepped down as President of Nintendo America before giving this speech, Reggie put it best at the Game Awards:

For the last character to be from an Indie title will be a nice and fitting bookend to Ultimate. Now if I were to make a guess, Frisk from Undertale is probably the likeliest Indie Game character to close out DLC all things considered. If I were to choose, Zagreus from Hades would be it. Hades is recent, a fantastic game, and has a lot of potential for what Zagreus could bring to the roster.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Undertale spirits could’ve shown up like Cuphead spirits did but didn’t
Just saying

Also, the spirit event is nice. Love to see the Gamecube getting recognized in this fashion.
Though is that the Poltergust 3000 I see? 👀

That's the Poltergust 5000 you see. Note the green light that the 3000 lacks.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My guess is they probably won't, but there's nothing stopping them from adding one.

If we want another indie game to talk about though, may I suggest Tough Love Arena? It's a 3 traditional fighting game with a funny style and really easy to understand mechanics. You've got light attacks, which are fast close ranged options, heavy attacks, which are more committal options that give you more reward if they land, and special attacks, which house each character's more gimmicky moves, and jump attacks. Even with that small move list, it manages to feel like a normal fighting game (you can also use meter to burst, cancel certain moves, and push block).

There are three characters, each with their own clone character with a different special moves, which makes them end up playing very differently. For example, the resident heavy hitter, Beef, has a counter and a grounded projectile, while his counterpart, Pork, has a move with armour, and a command grab. Since the move list is so small, the few different moves make a huge difference in how each character plays.

The best part is: It's free to play, and runs on a browser, so you can just look it up and start playing if your interested.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I think the Metroid videos are just Nintendo really trying to push Dread harder than they have any previous game in the series, Direct or no Direct. They want the game in the public eye as much as they can get it.
Would be even better if they could give Switch owners a way to play most of the series.....

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
That's the Poltergust 5000 you see. Note the green light that the 3000 lacks.
Ah right thank you for the correction.
It’s the one he uses in Dark Moon too

I was gonna say if it’s the one from LM3 (which I now see it’s not as there’s no goo container in the back) then that could’ve been a new spirit hidden in plain sight or something lol

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Cute Castlevania fan art I found.

Look Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen your girl Shanoa is there!

I think the Metroid videos are just Nintendo really trying to push Dread harder than they have any previous game in the series, Direct or no Direct. They want the game in the public eye as much as they can get it.
Yeah. The same goes to SMTV and Atlus.
I've also doubted for a moment if we're actually getting a Direct after seeing the new trailer for SMTV but it's just what you said, Nintendo is pushing Metroid more than usual. We're 100% getting a Direct this month.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Undertale or bust at this point for Indies.

No spirits, costume dominated gaming media for a while, Toby Fox would likely be really chill about including content, game is already ingrained in gaming culture, sequel/spinoff on the way.

The only reason Undetale isn’t one of my MW is that we already got the Sans costume, but I would pop off so hard at it’s inclusion.

That said, probably not gonna happen.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Cute Castlevania fan art I found.

Look Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen your girl Shanoa is there!

Yeah. The same goes to SMTV and Atlus.
I've also doubted for a moment if we're actually getting a Direct after seeing the new trailer for SMTV but it's just what you said, Nintendo is pushing Metroid more than usual. We're 100% getting a Direct this month.
The Richter painting on the left is super cute

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Super Smash Flash 2 has a 3Ds stage. It's pretty much just Final Destination, but with Hazards on, VVVVVV, Tetris, and two games that I have no idea what they are change the battlefield.
The other two games represented on the 3DS stage are Bit.Trip Beat and Mutant Mudds.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I'll be blunt.

I enjoy many games that are commonly known as booba games.

Fire Emblem Fates? Sounds like a fun time.
Xenoblade Chronicles 2? Yeah, I love that one.
Fighting games in general? Sign me up.

But... Senran Kagura is... a whole nother level of booba. And its creepy booba.

The other examples may have horny/degrading designs, but at least there's more to each game then that. Even Camilla has stuff you can appreciate that isn't sexual in nature. And even if you hate the idea of the sexual designs, you can largely play the game and ignore it if you wish.

But... Senran Kagura is just so in your face its.... a bit embarrassing. I believe people who say the gameplay is fun. It probably is. But... I feel too ashamed to even try it. It's probably the franchise I point to as the best example of sexualizing women in gaming. Sexualization isn't always a bad thing, but the way that franchise does it just feels... degrading and kind of off. It's not sexy at all and just kind of makes ya feel sad. And that's not even getting at the fact that they're mostly underage.

I dunno, probably gonna get some hate for this one.
Why would you get hate for calling SK what it is, garbage

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Shroob

Sup?
Pic of the Day:

May be a bit of a conspiracy, but over the last 2 or so weeks, it feels like they've been giving a lot of attention to the DLC characters.

It's not every pic, but it kinda feels like they're getting an extra focus out of nowhere.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
While I love Undertale and would be elated if Frisk were to get in, I kinda doubt they will this time around.

My assumption is that an Undertale character would have been chosen after the Sans costume released to massive fanfare. Megalovania would then be closer to the XB2 songs in base than anything.

And part of what makes Megalovania such a meme is that it can be remixed to hell and back and still sound good. They can easily just make another remix for the pass.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Though it's definitely not for me, I try not to give Senran Kagura a bad rap... A couple of SmashFAQS users have permanently soured my opinion of it though :/
In my case it was a former friend who kinda ruined it for me

I would rather not go into detail…

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Though it's definitely not for me, I try not to give Senran Kagura a bad rap... A couple of SmashFAQS users have permanently soured my opinion of it though :/
In my case it was a former friend who kinda ruined it for me

I would rather not go into detail…
Sorry to hear about that, both of you. Don't worry, I may gush about the franchise nonstop, but I'm still as kind as I can humanely manage. I'll let you guys do as you will.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to hear about that, both of you. Don't worry, I may gush about the franchise nonstop, but I'm still as kind as I can humanely manage. I'll let you guys do as you will.
No no you're fine! I have more of a problem with the users than the game, tbh. Also, I'm no less guilty of gushing about my favorite series than anyone else lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom