• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

7NATOR

Smash Master
There's a question I have (might be controversial)

Smash DLC not only gets alot of hype, but seems to sell very well, and it's not thanks in parts to the actual characters in the Fighter Passes.

So I got to ask, what do you think a Fighter Pass would like if you tried to make the DLC NOT Sell Well. Alternatively, if you think Smash DLC would sell no matter the character, why is that?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
You know what I would love to do?

I would love to be a time traveling leaker. Just... travel back in time and reveal stuff about Smash Bros Ultimate DLC... but do it in a dirty way. Like... leak THIS photo I took
View attachment 328375

And therefore lead people to think that DEVIL Kazuya is gonna be playable... when in reality its just regular Kazuya that turns into Devil Kazuya for like a second during specials. But I could sit here and giggle and revel in stupid delight as the people of the past go bananas over "Devil Kazuya joined Smash Bros?" hahahahahahaha
Just these renders:
Piranha Plant_SSBU.png Joker_SSBU.png Terry Bogard_SSBU.png Steve_SSBU.png Sephiroth_SSBU.png Pyra & Mythra_SSBU.png Kazuya_SSBU.png

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
One thing I've realized recently is that Super Smash Bros. is one of the few fighting games that doesn't mirror asymmetrical characters (for the most part, there are right handed characters that swing with their left hand when turned around, but none of them consistently have a weapon in hand). So far none of the fighting game characters we've gotten use any weapons (unless you count Min Min, but she's a very different case), but when we inevitably get one that does, do you think they'll be the first asymetrical characters in the series that are mirrored?

I guess I should explain what I mean by that. You know how when Mario turns around he looks the same as he does when facing the other way? That's because they took the time to mirror his animations, and it's been like that since Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3Ds. However, some characters (typically the ones with weapons) will instead turn their back to the 4th wall when they turn around. Traditional fighting games basically never do this, and IIRC, it's considered bad practice in animation. Super Smash Bros.'s characters are animated with this in mind though, so it doesn't often impact visual clarity (though a good chunk of the characters that do it have long capes and coats, which is probably why they don't do much in the footwork department. lol).

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
One thing I've realized recently is that Super Smash Bros. is one of the few fighting games that doesn't mirror asymmetrical characters (for the most part, there are right handed characters that swing with their left hand when turned around, but none of them consistently have a weapon in hand). So far none of the fighting game characters we've gotten use any weapons (unless you count Min Min, but she's a very different case), but when we inevitably get one that does, do you think they'll be the first asymetrical characters in the series that are mirrored?

I guess I should explain what I mean by that. You know how when Mario turns around he looks the same as he does when facing the other way? That's because they took the time to mirror his animations, and it's been like that since Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3Ds. However, some characters (typically the ones with weapons) will instead turn their back to the 4th wall when they turn around. Traditional fighting games basically never do this, and IIRC, it's considered bad practice in animation. Super Smash Bros.'s characters are animated with this in mind though, so it doesn't often impact visual clarity (though a good chunk of the characters that do it have long capes and coats, which is probably why they don't do much in the footwork department. lol).
I see you've never seen an anime fighting game before. If one of those guys got in, they'd look like that for sure.

1630353581305.png

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Sakurai actually talked about that in a PotD for Smash 4, only characters who weren't visually interesting when viewed from behind like say, Kirby got flipped, I'm pretty sure it was because Brawl showed different angles for left and right

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Think you could go better than that.

Dovachkiin and Vault Boy Mii side by side. No context.

:roll:
The idea is to present a mii costume that looks like they're a fully-fledged fighter in their own right. Dovahkiin obviously wouldn't work, and it's clear that Sans is a mii gunner.
Vault Boy could work though.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I wouldn’t find strange if we ever get a Ubisoft rep, its gonna be someone from Assasins Creed, its a huge IP worldwide (+150 millions, not considering COD or GTA, its second behind Minecraft), getting new installments (or DLC) yearly so it would have resonance with modern gamers. It has sone relevance in japan

I know that this sounds like “Banjo vs Steve” debates I saw the last 2/3 years, but I don’t think Rayman has the insane demand that Banjo had that Nintendo got interested. Of course, I can be wrong. But I think that IPs relevance and getting new games really helps the demand of a character.

Example: I imagine that Crash got a boost in demand once their remake trilogy got released (and then on swtich). Or people started speculate con Dovakhin in smash after Skyrim was released on Switch.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Smash DLC not only gets alot of hype, but seems to sell very well, and it's not thanks in parts to the actual characters in the Fighter Passes.

So I got to ask, what do you think a Fighter Pass would like if you tried to make the DLC NOT Sell Well. Alternatively, if you think Smash DLC would sell no matter the character, why is that?
I don't think there's such thing as a character that wouldn't sell at least moderately well. I don't really have any stats to prove this beyond circumstantial evidence, but the fact that so many people bought into the DLC by buying the Fighter's Pass before all or any of the characters were announced says to me that the sales pitch of "5/6 new fighters!" was enough to entice people, regardless of who those characters actually were.

However, if I were to try and limit the sales of a Smash character, I'd just look to the main characters of whatever is being pooed out on NSO nowadays. While it is tempting to say characters like Bubsy or Gex, they at least have meme magic that would bring about sales. Characters from mediocre games with little to no cultural presence don't and have little going for them beyond that.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I wouldn’t find strange if we ever get a Ubisoft rep, its gonna be someone from Assasins Creed, its a huge IP worldwide (+150 millions, not considering COD or GTA, its second behind Minecraft), getting new installments (or DLC) yearly so it would have resonance with modern gamers.

I know that this sounds like “Banjo vs Steve” debates I saw the last 2/3 years, but I don’t think Rayman has the insane demand that Banjo had that Nintendo got interested. Of course, I can be wrong. But I think that IPs relevance and getting new games really helps the demand of a character.

Example: I imagine that Crash got a boost in demand once their remake trilogy got released (and then on swtich). Or people started speculate con Dovakhin in smash after Skyrim was released on Switch.
Nah bro it's going to be uhhh Tachanka from Rainbow Six Siege
1630353860346.png

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I see you've never seen an anime fighting game before.
I think you misinterpreted what I said. I know most fighting games mirror asymmetrical characters. Super Smash Bros. doesn't though (unless there is a case I'm unaware of). I'm wondering if they would mirror an asymmetrical fighting game character in Super Smash Bros. since they're mirrored in their home series.

Sakurai actually talked about that in a PotD for Smash 4, only characters who weren't visually interesting when viewed from behind like say, Kirby got flipped, I'm pretty sure it was because Brawl showed different angles for left and right
I remember the post, but I'm pretty sure it accounts for most of the roster, with symmetrical characters that don't get mirrored being the exception (such as Captain Falcon).

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I wouldn’t find strange if we ever get a Ubisoft rep, its gonna be someone from Assasins Creed, its a huge IP worldwide (+150 millions, not considering COD or GTA, its second behind Minecraft), getting new installments (or DLC) yearly so it would have resonance with modern gamers. It has sone relevance in japan
I mean, look man
Altairs a mii costume

So maybe the Kazuya situation, in which a lot of people a Tekken rep was out after seeing the Heihachi Mii, could happen again.
In other words
Altair's out, but Ezio is not.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think you misinterpreted what I said. I know most fighting games mirror asymmetrical characters. Super Smash Bros. doesn't though (unless there is a case I'm unaware of). I'm wondering if they would mirror an asymmetrical fighting game character in Super Smash Bros. since they're mirrored in their home series.
Well I don't see why not. Street Fighter's been doing it in 3D since 2008, if not earlier
1630354181204.png
Would be as simple as teleporting the weapon to the other hand depending on where they're facing, not so much different than how Byleth teleports everything he has from nothing.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Going back to my point regarding Rayman and Japan, I think one of the reasons people have clinged onto Crash as a "front runner" for so long is because he's one of the very western platformer mascots that actually saw success in Japan. The original ND trilogy sold at least more than 500,000 there, with Crash 2 in particular being a million seller.

The only other western platformer series that were successful in Japan during the 90s that I can think of were Donkey Kong and (to a somewhat lesser extent) Banjo-Kazooie. All the other ones like Rayman, Spyro, Gex, Croc, etc didn't really draw crowds, if they even had games released there (I know Croc didn't).

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Gotta love 4chan. someone’s got one of the “mystery FP1” posts open. It’s going crazy over there. Someone replies to an anon who spams the voice theory every time there’s a thread.

I’m watching the thread and someone down the thread replies to it and at the end says they’re thankful Layton fits the voice theory and someone straight away replies thinking it’s me from over on here and tags my account.

gotta love 4chan. To the person in this group tagging my account when I didn’t even make the post, It twas not me but I found that hilarious so thanks for giving me the laughs lol.

MintTails

Smash Rookie
Here's a thing I did for speculation on the last character:
  • Who I want: Sora, Eggman, BWD (I'm more torn on Crash)
  • Who I think it'll be: Anyone who hasn't been deconfirmed yet
  • Who would be possible: No idea
  • Who I feel is unlikely: Anyone who has been deconfirmed or otherwise may not make it
  • Who would be funny: Phoenix Wright
  • Who I don't want: Any Assist Trophy
  • Who I want: Tails, Master Chief, Gordon Freeman, Kazuma Kiryu or Goro Majima, Raiden
  • Who I think it will be: Rayman, Demi-Fiend
  • Who would be possible: Ryu Hayabusa, Phoenix Wright, Master Chief
  • Who I feel is unlikely: Gordon Freeman, Kratos, another Namco character, another villain
  • Who would be funny: Among Us Impostor
  • Who I don’t want: any obviously promotional 1st party character, any MOBA character, Nahobino

FreeFox

Smash Lord
To start, the Hunter has multiple weapons outside of the Sword, Axe, and Bows, so they're not locked to those weapons and can easily vary based on what's picked. Additionally, 3/4 of those wouldn't play the same at all as Byleth's Chain Sword is completely different from the Great Sword, Long Sword (think Lyn's Katana), Sword & Shield, or Dual Blades, the Hunters do not use the Lances the same, and with the axes the Switch Axe and Charge Blade are transforming weapons. Finally, the Hunter has access to multiple tools like traps, bombs (barrel, sonic, dung, etc.), throwing knifes, and so on. Saying that Byleth's moveset would fit is only taking a look at the character at a completely superficial glance, there's far more that the Hunter can offer that Byleth does not.

Edit: Forgot Lances.
You better not forget the Chad weapon, the Hunting Horn.

Gotta love 4chan. someone’s got one of the “mystery FP1” posts open. It’s going crazy over there. Someone replies to an anon who spams the voice theory every time there’s a thread.

I’m watching the thread and someone down the thread replies to it and at the end says they’re thankful Layton fits the voice theory and someone straight away replies thinking it’s me from over on here and tags my account.

gotta love 4chan. To the person in this group tagging my account when I didn’t even make the post, It twas not me but I found that hilarious so thanks for giving me the laughs lol.
Well, you are a person that is easy to remember on this thread. Congrats for being iconic enough for it to reach that level of recognition on other sites.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord

Tiffi from Candy Crush Saga
The single video-game character that would be met with near-universal disdain. I promise you, a Fire Emblem character, an "anime swordfighter," an obscure 1st-party, anyone considered a "shill pick," or even Jonesy or Freddy Fazbear would be met with at least some positive reception, and definitely way more compared to her. She's legit the only character I can think of that people would actively not buy or regret buying the pass for.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Tiffi from Candy Crush Saga
The single video-game character that would be met with near-universal disdain. I promise you, a Fire Emblem character, an "anime swordfighter," an obscure 1st-party, anyone considered a "shill pick," or even Jonesy or Freddy Fazbear would be met with at least some positive reception, and definitely way more compared to her. She's legit the only character I can think of that people would actively not buy or regret buying the pass for.
Why, though?
Is this just based on your opinion of the character or what lol

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Going back to my point regarding Rayman and Japan, I think one of the reasons people have clinged onto Crash as a "front runner" for so long is because he's one of the very western platformer mascots that actually saw success in Japan. The original ND trilogy sold at least more than 500,000 there, with Crash 2 in particular being a million seller.

The only other western platformer series that were successful in Japan during the 90s that I can think of were Donkey Kong and (to a somewhat lesser extent) Banjo-Kazooie. All the other ones like Rayman, Spyro, Gex, Croc, etc didn't really draw crowds, if they even had games released there (I know Croc didn't).
Yup, thats true, Crash 2 and 3 shipped 1.33 and 1.5 million copies there, while Mario 64 shipped 1.92 millions (and that was only 1 title vs 3 Crash games), so I don’t think its strange to say that crash bandicoot was a bit more popular than mario at late 90’s in japan.

Meanwhile, all DKC SNES games are million sellers. They sold 3, 2.21 and 1.77. Almost 7 million games between 3 years is insane, even DK64 (released on a much less sold hardware, SNES ~17.5 vs N64 ~6.5 millions LTD) shipped more than 1 million. I can affirm that King K Rool was probably the biggest request for Smash 4 DLC/Ultimate. The original DKC the the 4th best selling SNES gam in japan, behind SMW, SMK and DQVI (3 juggernaut IPs).

And for last, the first Rayman at PS1 only sold less than 8,000 copies its first week…

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

Impossible to make a Fighter Pass that wouldn't sell since it's Smash. I have no doubt that most sales were done the day the passes were announced, without any character revealed, and the reputation is too big to fail, but if I had to show all characters at once:

Pink Gold Peach, Dark Link, Doctor Luigi, Sonic Werewolf form and Tom Nook's nephews.

Last edited:

Aboyd

Smash Cadet

Probably only Nintendo (and maybe Namco) characters and about four.
Probably the three Nintendo characters we got and Kazuya

Ivander

Smash Legend
Okay so digging now we have a source on that poll...
they got about 10K responses which is respectable.

However:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
trash it
I'm pretty darn sure that even if we could technically vote multiple times, that there was still potentially a limit since they most likely counted votes individually. Like someone voting for a character 10 or even 100 times would be limited at some point, especially if the Smash Ballot had a IP tracker for their voting or the voter made themselves too obvious.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Despite the calendar saying August 30th, this is the first week of September.

Still not sold anything will happen this week, despite afaik nothing being lined up for this week, but we've officially made it into September Direct territory.
Placing my bets on next week.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I'd imagine it's due to the stigma surrounding mobile games, and Candy Crush being one of the more casual ones. Dunno if people would hate her that much though.
I don't think so either.
And Candy Crush being one of those big games make me think a lot of people might be pleasantly surprised.

Though I could be wrong ofc.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Placing my bets on next week.
2016's and 2019's had been the first week of September while 2017's and 2018's had not. 2020 withstanding due to covid of course so it's possible. So far track record shows either early or mid September. 2014's was late September although there was a Bayonetta 2 Direct on the 4th. And it seems like 2015's fall Direct was actually in November. So make of this what you will.

MarioKartRenderOwner

Smash Cadet

i've thought about this question from time to time, i think the truthful honest answer is not a single character they would add would ever sell bad, period, smash is WAY too big at this point for a character to sell bad

but in terms of what character would sell "Worse than others"? i've thought about this

people tend to like to answer with absurd answers like "oh bubsy or gex" but i don't think that's even close to the right answer, those characters are popular in meme culture and people can get mad about this, that can sell and gain attention, and even outside of that bubsy and gex have SOME nostalgia for some people to some extent, and kids will see their designs and be appealed to them. Consider Piranha Plant, a character i KNOW is venomously despised by a decent of people within this bubble but do you think general audiences care? heck there's a lot of people within this bubble(including me) who just see it as a fun new character addition from a series they know

the realm of "what characters would garner the worst reception and thus sell the worst" is difficult because it's a question often asked in a bubble of smash like "oh scimblos would HATE kosmos, mcjrpgs would HATE crash, boomers would HATE freddy, zoomers would HATE Ryu Ninja Gaiden" but those are all answers in a bubble, those are still often characters with massive giant fanbases

to me i think a character to sell the worse would have to have LITTLE nostalgia, and not a super appealing design to a general audience and I have 3(?) kinda(?) answers(?) they're not super solid and i have counter points against them all

1. is a character from a more realistic 1st person type shooter game, Heavy and Doom Guy would 100% have appeal but I have to wonder, would "soldier" from call of duty or CS: GO be something people care about? they're both not really characters and have not the most interesting designs in the world. The GIANT counter argument is the sheer absurdity of "call of duty real looking solider" would be huge and talked about forever, and those are still massive franchises, and the weakest answer I personally

2. Is a character from a mobile game but not one with a particularly strong fanbase, i.e i wouldn't say an angry bird or a draglia lost character applies here i'm talkin like. The "doodle jump" guy or subway surfer kid or "temple run man" stuff along those lines i'm sure you can think of more. The problem HERE is that the smash bubble would HATE these probably but they're also a mixture of mass appeal characters and absurdness that would CREATE appeal

3. This one i feel bad for because it's a specific character and i hold no ill will towards the series or characters but i think "Ninjala Kid" would not go over particularly well. They have an appealing enough design for me to not think they'd go over DISASTEROUSLY but they're characters from a game that's not particularly loved anywhere in the world(it's slightly more popular in japan but not on that yokai watch in it's prime or something level), characters who would for sure get the "splatoon ripoff waste of slot" stuff, and they're not absurd enough to have that backing them, they're the only specific character i can think of to have no backing to them whatsoever besides slightly appealing designs

but at the end of the day this is a question i think is impossible to answer, everyone will have different thoughts and the only way to see the results is if a character someone thought would sell bad got in and they released sales numbers

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

Confirm all the fighters are from Fire Emblem Awakening :4pacman:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
2016's and 2019's had been the first week of September while 2017's and 2018's had not. 2020 withstanding due to covid of course so it's possible. So far track record shows either early or mid September. 2014's was late September although there was a Bayonetta 2 Direct on the 4th. And it seems like 2015's fall Direct was actually in November. So make of this what you will.
And they might want to get one final showcase of the new WarioWare game before it comes out on the 10th, as well as showcase more news for BDSP and Legends Arceus.

FreeFox

Smash Lord

Mhh.... lets see if I can make a pass based on this premise....

We woud start with Bubsy isntead of characters like Crash or Rayman. I assume that a character like him getting over some more popular platforming characters would certainly upset many. Obviously, we have to end his trailer with "What could possibly go wrong?" to foreshadow the rest of the pass.

The next character would be an unpopular character from a beloved series. Lets have her bring her annoying voiceline "León, help!". To prevent any catharsis players would get from hitting her, lets build her to be a top tier spammer.
1630357304236.jpeg

Lets do a Min-min and say the next character is from Square Enix. Tease the possibility of Sora and Neku to maximize the hate. Then seemingly reveal Marina to have her lose the letter our next character. The cat clancer would be our representation for Mischief Makers!
1630357712967.jpeg

To throw people off, our next guest has to be a character from a really obscure videogame series And here is where we enter our forth entry, Chameleon!

Time to end this. Lets follow the successful Capcom formula and hype about the last character. Its a Mario character that is finally making its debut. And then we throw the bait and switch.

And that is my best try for pass that wouldnt sell.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think a character that would probably sell "worse than others" would probably be some random character from some random shovelware game barely anyone recognises. As badly received as the likes of Bubsy and Gex would be, they still have their place in meme culture that would probably still unironically back them up.

So basically, look through the long laundry list of forgotten Wii era shovelware titles and pick your poison. Bonus points for whatever you can find on Wii Ware or DSI Ware as I'd imagine most of those are probably even more lost to time by now... :happysheep:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Mhh.... lets see if I can make a pass based on this premise....

We woud start with Bubsy isntead of characters like Crash or Rayman. I assume that a character like him getting over some more popular platforming characters would certainly upset many. Obviously, we have to end his trailer with "What could possibly go wrong?" to foreshadow the rest of the pass.

The next character would be an unpopular character from a beloved series. Lets have her bring her annoying voiceline "León, help!". To prevent any catharsis players would get from hitting her, lets build her to be a top tier spammer.
View attachment 328400
Lets do a Min-min and say the next character is from Square Enix. Tease the possibility of Sora and Neku to maximize the hate. Then seemingly reveal Marina to have her lose the letter our next character. The cat clancer would be our representation for Mischief Makers!
View attachment 328402
To throw people off, our next guest has to be a character from a really obscure videogame series And here is where we enter our forth entry, Chameleon!

Time to end this. Lets follow the successful Capcom formula and hype about the last character. Its a Mario character that is finally making its debut. And then we throw the bait and switch.

And that is my best try for pass that wouldnt sell.
I would buy it. I actually liked Bubsy as a kid lol.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord

While not a fighting game character,:ultsteve: is an asymmetrical character who has mirrored animations in Smash.

In Minecraft (or Java Edition at least,) he has a main hand and an off hand, and, while you can put any item or block in either of his hands, he can only swing items like swords or axes if they are in his main hand. You can press pause and go into the options menu to change which hand is his main hand, but no one is going to realistically switch his handedness that often, unlike in Smash where he switches hands every time he turns around so that his main hand is always the one closer to the camera.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
This is a bit of a misconception. Sakurai has never said those games were "the last ones", he just means that he treats every game as if it were the last one.

I didn't really mean "it's over forever". I just think it's possible that they could give Smash a break for a good 5+ years and perhaps let Sakurai work on other projects in the mean time. Remember that in between Melee and Brawl, Sakurai made Kirby Air Ride and Meteos, and in-between Brawl and Smash 4, he made KI Uprising. 64 -> Melee and now Smash 4 -> Ultimate have been the only times where he jumped straight into a new Smash game right away after the last.

Though a lot of this depends on how much life the Switch has left in it.
Oh yes absolutely, we are in agreement.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
I mean, no. Playing MK over SF2 is a foul, for sure. But playing MK over SF1 is the correct choice. That game is no bueno.

Yeah...nah. When someone is like "The next SF game focus Sakura's non-existent evil version!" or "SamSho's Smash character should be a character that's not even in that franchises top 10", I'm not just gonna nod and go "Yeah, great idea, chief!"
If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom