• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I mean you're objectively correct; though my chaotic and curious nature makes me wonder how well it would do despite that...
Probably not well. Even disregarding "y u cut my furvrite?", Animal Crossing, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Splatoon would have to carry the game since the reaction to everything else would be "who dat?", and without the draw of the big franchises, you don't get as much curiosity.

Also it's hard to sell a series that's still trapped in the previous generations so only the newest of the new and the very recently dead would even benefit much.

Twilord

Smash Ace
The next Smash Bros should take out all of the Nintendo characters and just fill it with third party ones at launch and then “release” the Nintendo characters periodically which are more or less locked paywalls on disc. Maximizes the profits as well as the douchebaggery.

Notices your avatar is an EA character

Ah, right; from some perspectives that would be the most 'authentic' way to do a video-game themed living-experience.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You know, I think I will get Advance Wars despite its presentation being a huge turnoff for me. I think convincing Nintendo to let other companies handle their dead IPs that they aren't interested in would be the best way to revive them, especially if the series were already in Super Smash Bros.

Handled correctly, a new F-Zero, Ice Climber, or Duck Hunt would probably do pretty well.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Final Fighter Predictions GO!
I’m feeling like it’s probably Euden lmao.
Still feeling like it's Demi-Fiend, but I'm less sure now.

It doesn't matter much, because Kazuya fills the description of "Shirtless man with demon powers". He's not who I expected, but Tekken's cool and I like its music, so I'm still really happy.

Actually, I'm a bit late on this, but I've been too busy finishing exams and stuff to post frequently, so uhh yeah, E3 thoughts I guess.

Kazuya's cool, I'm not a massive Tekken fan, but I immediately thought of Tekken when the trailer started, so I'm happy.

Metroid Dread is actually real. I can't get over that. It looks exactly how I wanted as well, so that's the best reveal imo.

Warioware and Mario Party look good, but aren't massively exciting for me.

SMT V. Inject it into my veins. It looks stunning, and well worth the wait. The protagonist looks cool too, maybe my favourite design in the series.

Advance wars is a nice surprise, as was Project Zero. Monkey Ball would have been, but was leaked.

Guardian in AOC. Cool, but unexpected.

Zelda game and watch. I like the mario one, so I'll pick it up, but it's not exactly exciting.

BOTW 2 looks exactly how I wanted, since it's more BOTW.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
So I was thinking a bit and just noticed that Tekken is the only series in Smash to have only one rep, and have that one rep be a villain (unless you count R.O.B. or Mr. Game & Watch due to Subspace). Granted, Kazuya's deal is a bit more complicated than just "villain" but the point still stands. It doesn't really matter a lot, I just think that's cool.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Kazuya is hype. I am excited for june 28th. Also has me wondering who the last character is. sad that they are stopping DLC. but it is to be expected for a 3 year old game. hopefully the modding scene hits a peak like brawl did. would love to have more characters added by fans at some point.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
There's been a series of Nintendo-exclusive spiritual successors called FAST for a while now, you'd think the developers of them would get contacted for work on F-Zero.
FAST is kinda dead since the Wii U so yeah I think it’s time

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Kazuya is hype. I am excited for june 28th. Also has me wondering who the last character is. sad that they are stopping DLC. but it is to be expected for a 3 year old game. hopefully the modding scene hits a peak like brawl did. would love to have more characters added by fans at some point.
I keep up with the modding scene as somebody who makes mods myself, and I can tell you that while it might not reach Brawl levels, it's definitely on its way to surpassing Smash for (and in many key ways, already has.) There's a few hurdles left regarding shared files (I'd clarify what that means, but it's spaghetti. There's info elsewhere if you're interested.) but once that happens things'll go crazy. Your proposal is a matter of time, methinks.
It's definitely the most exciting silver lining to DLC's incoming end.

Last edited:

Thewafflemaker2000

Smash Apprentice
Before the direct I thought it was pretty weird that they didn’t add a tekken character yet because lately nintendo Was adding characters from companies they already had deals with. Next I think ubisoft will have a larger chance of getting a character in since that they been close to nintendo like microsofts been. Tho smash dlc has never ended on a high note

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Tho smash dlc has never ended on a high note
Smash 4 DLC ended on the results of a fan voted ballot, whether or not you agree with the results that's somewhat of a "high note" in and of itself. Not to the extent of megaton mass appeal picks like Ryu and Cloud (this time around, Steve and Sephiroth) but certainly significant enough. Bayonetta is no slouch and if that's our standard at least keeps the door open for beloved, albeit slightly smaller third party picks.

Ultimate DLC was never in danger of ending with Byleth. If we're to believe Sakurai in Banjo's presentation, there were always plans to bring in "one or two" more characters post FP1, even if a FP2 wasn't totally locked in at the time. Given the information we do know I'd say there's a high chance one of those characters would have been Steve, which is obviously a pretty big deal.

Bottom line though, I hope we can put this sort of thing to rest and assess the final character with as wide an umbrella as we did any other character. Sorry to point you out in particular but I just saw a good excuse to tangent about it briefly.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Also y’all Kazuya is a thunder user, haven’t really seen any fire attacks.

This means that indeed, the little theory about how the recent fire themed tournament indicates that our last fighters may not be fire users seems to have worked. It’s possible that this could apply to CP11 as well, but we’ll see.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just something I realized. Tekken is the source for Rage in Smash 4 and Ultimate when characters get over 100% as a comeback mechanic.

Last edited:

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
I really don't understand the idea or want of having to reboot Smash at all. It feels like something that they would do, but really shouldn't.

Why can't they just remaster Smash Ultimate and occasionally expand and enhance it for at least two generations?? Worked fine for GTAV and Online which are basically bigger games anyway. They could just keep adding to this game when a re-release comes to mind. The game's so good that I feel I and many others would gladly take it. Especially if it offers new things like character revamps, small graphical improvements, and a new beat-em-up sidescroller adventure mode. Less dev time spent on the main framework of the game also means more time and money could be spent on other things and it'll still sell. At that point, you wouldn't even need Sakurai to keep working on it. You could just get someone else as they did with Kirby's series.

Over the past few months, I've daydreaming by writing down ideas for the characters from who I would like to see changes of the most. Some are just cosmetic changes but the moveset modifications wouldn't even completely change the character's gameplay for the most part:

Mario Revamp

Give his fist a hitbox when he’s rising from a jump.

Make his footstool jump spike. Make lighter enemies take damage from the footstool.

Make him fall a little faster.

Neutral Special: Cappy: Projectile which can be held. Mainly used as a simple, fast attack projectile but it can be used as a jump pad in the air you can dive to to get an extra jump. You can capture opponents if they’re at very high percentages or dizzy.
Side Special: Hammer (still a reflector)
Down Special: Spin Attack: Tap it for the NSMB quick spin useful for floating slightly like the cape. Hold it for the stronger multi-hit SMW Spin which can only be used on the ground and has particularly strong hitbox on the bottom.
Up Special: Rocket FLUDD

Dash Attack: Long Jump

Forward Smash: Hammer Smash (frames and damage are basically the same as the old one but now it’s something Mario actually does)

Down Air: Ground Pound
Neutral Air: Galaxy Spin Attack
Up Air: Mario Jump Punch
Back Air: K Rool-like Spike
Forward Air: Air Dive

Victory 1: Mario slides down the top of a flag pole and celebrates like in New Super Mario
Victory 2: Mario gets a Power Star like in Galaxy
Victory 3: Mario gets a Moon like in Odyssey (sometimes, it’s a cat shine)

Ganondorf Revamp

Neutral Special: Electricity Ball
Side Special: Cape Reflect

Let him teleport to dodge roll
Let him Float like Peach
Give him his Twilight design as half of his alts no questions asked...

Peach Revamp

Make her grabs magical throws like in the Mario and Luigi games.

Neutral Special: Spear Toad: Spear Toad appears with his shield ready to multi-hit anyone who attacks.
Side Special: Mario Strikers Lunge Kick: Works the same as the original side special but she lunges forward and attacks with a soccer kick instead.

Final Smash: Mega Strike

Daisy Echo Changes

Give her Peach’s Throws from Smash 4
Give her a third jump instead of floating

Neutral Special: Blossoming Daisies: A daisy effect from Daisy’s old Side Special appears around her. If someone attacks her, a bunch of magical daisy sparkles attack the opponent as a multi-hit.
Side Special: Mario Strikers Lunge Kick

Final Smash: Mega Strike

Yoshi Fix

Make his air movement faster.
Make his ground speed a tad slower.
Make animations less stretchy and weird. Make them more rigid and forceful.

Link & Zelda Addition
Make Link get the Hero treatment so he includes his Link to the Past, Twilight, and Skyward iterations as well. They’d only be cosmetic differences like having different-looking bows and boomerangs. They’d still use the Remote Bombs but they would look like the bombs from their respective games. The ancient arrow would be replaced with light arrows for the other Links.

Maybe do the same thing with Zelda and add her Champion, Twilight, and Skyward versions. Different voice actors and slight animation differences like what Byleth had between male and female would be a good idea here for the more reserved Twilight and Champion designs. Skyward and Link to the Past Zelda’s would have the same more peppy and cheery Ultimate animations while Twilight and Wild would both share more reserved ones Smash 4 ones.

Sonic Revamp

Side Special: Light Speed Dash: Sonic quickly reaches into his spikes and throws rings in front of him and light speed dashes like Pac Man’s Side Special
Up Special: Tails (Or Rocket Wisp or keep the Spring)
Down Special: Spin Dash: Make it a mix between the Spin Dash and Spin Charge which looks like the Spin Dash move but you can rev it up like a Spin Charge. When Down Special is held in the air it works like the Drop Dash that helps him fall a bit faster.

Dash Attack: Slide to Spin Attack: Sonic uses his slide attack from the Boost games. It’s quick and strong. Sonic can keep running fast right after using it. It isn’t as strong as the Spin Attack you get from pressing the attack button again while sliding. This is a stronger, more powerful kill move that can stay out longer and be be more effective if used with sloped terrain. The ball starts slowing down almost immediately. As it slows down it becomes less and less effective. You can act out of it by jumping or by dashing. His initial dash would be slower than usual depending on how slow the ball was going.

Forward Air: Air Dash
Neutral Air: Insta Shield
Held Down Air: Generations Stomp
Tapped Down Air: Bounce Bracelet
Back Air: Sonic Eagle Kick

The more damage Sonic takes, the more rings fly out of him, this makes it so his Light Speed Dash has fewer and fewer rings to fly through.

Let Sonic do a little pose when landing a homing attack similar to when Incineroar does the same for normal attacks.

Give Sonic’s ball form when jumping a small hitbox that hurts a little if you get too close. If it has the smallest attack priority of any hitbox.

Slow down his initial dash a bit. Sonic never runs that fast at a stand-still unless he’s boosting.

(How to discourage campy Sonic: Increase damage and kill power, increase air speed, but make him considerably lighter. As light as Fox. The two potential recovery ideas should be pretty exploitable too but not as bad as Little Mac. Sonic’s a glass canon where slip ups in his games put Sonic in a really bad spot. In boss fights, Sonic games usually let you completely aggressively tear the boss to shreds but a few mistakes and lucky hits from the boss can ruin Sonic.)

Snake Change

Neutral Special: Tranquilizer: Can be aimed up and down.
  • *Make it something you need to hit multiple times under a short amount of time to work.
  • *The heavier the character is, the more shots it takes to snooze.
  • *The higher the percentage of the fighter, the less shots you need to snooze opponents too. Snoozing at low percents can be mashed out of by any fighter.
  • *Only headshots would be an instant snooze except for characters with really big heads.
  • *The farther away you are from an opponent could also make it more likely to miss. Essentially, you fire the tranq but the opponent doesn’t react. Emulating that the bullet missed.
  • *A decently quick reload animation for when you do run out of ammo. Snake can still walk while reloading. Maybe only one or three clips per stock.

Bowser Changes

Give him his actual voice from the games for some of the lines.

Neutral Special: If you hold it, you get the normal flames, but if you tap it, you get to spit out fire balls like one of Bowser’s old custom special moves.
Side Special: Bowser looks down and starts spiting out 5 flame balls as he slowly moves his head up like in the NSMB games. These 5 strong but slow fire projectiles are great for stage control and overwhelming opponents. They kill at higher percentages. It takes some time to wind up and it has to recharge so you can’t spam it.

Side Tilt: Bowser starts moving forward and clawing like when Captured in Mario Odyssey

If you hold down the Final Smash instead of just tapping it, Bowser turns into Fury Bowser instead of Giga Bowser. It’s a fire blast instead of a punch but it works the same way.

Olimar & Alph Changes

Literally just give him his actual voice from the games for some of the lines. Make his victory screen and some taunts actually make him look like a professional, mature explorer with a family instead of some seemingly goofy, confused kid.

Maybe keep all the older animations for Alph and make him an echo.

Steve & Alex Changes

Make the blocks all be the same size instead of disproportionate. Change the disproportionate block sizes to fit Steve and Alex’s size in Smash more.

Side Special: It’s still normally the Minecart when you tap. When you hold a side special, Steve and Alex will use the Bow and Arrow instead of the Minecart.

Donkey Kong Changes

Neutral Special: Barrel: If you tap the button, the barrel is thrown and explodes on impact to a specific place. If you hold, he’ll roll the barrel on the ground and it will travel further. Both versions have a long start up but little endlag.
Side Special: Mine Cart: DK jumps into a Mine Cart. It takes longer to start up than Steve’s but does do a little more damage and knockback. It can’t trap enemies like Steve’s. DK can’t influence its direction after it shoots forward.
Up Special: Barrel Cannon: DK jumps into a Barrel Cannon like in Mario Tennis Aces.

Forward Smash: Giant Punch: His old neutral special is now his Forward Smash. It can still be charged up and used the same way. He’ll keep the charge even if canceling out of the move. It can even be used in the air if fully charged.

Young Link Changes

He turns into the Fierce Deity for his Final Smash

He now uses the Gilded Sword and Mirror Shield.

Kirby Changes

Down Tilt: Give Kirby his slide from the games.

Slightly increase his air speed.

Neutral Special: the same but it lets you spit out projectiles fast like Dedede.

Make that dumb hammer faster at the beginning.

Kirby Revamp Idea

Side Special: Star Rod

Up Special: Warpstar Save: The Warpstar flies in from off-screen, catches Kirby, and quickly crashes back down at an angle.

Down Special: Kirby’s Dream Course Roll: A specific UI will appear and Kirby will turn into a ball form. You quickly pick the angle and then time the force of the shot with a meter as Kirby revs up into a slightly redder ball. If done correctly Kirby will shoot off decently fast, and strongly. He can break shields and do hefty damage. If used in the air, Kirby will be smacked down into the ground like his old rock ability and will work just like it except Kirby falls faster, isn’t as invulnerable, and can quickly act out of the attack while falling or on the ground. This is one of the strongest moves in the game but it also causes a bit of damage to Kirby. You can act out of it after a second or two but you can’t really control it like Jigglypuff or Yoshi’s roll. Use wisely. Kirby can fly off the stage but he’ll almost immediately regain control and you can fly back to the stage.

Bring back the Smash 4 Dash Attack

Unlikely extra idea

Neutral Special: The copy ability part does get a new boost.

Kirby copyboi.jpg

{This would only change the Neutral and Side Special. The Neutral Special would be like the fighter’s main special move while the Side Special would be a new move corresponding to these abilities and sometimes it could work differently depending on if you tap, hold, or do the attack in the air. Kirby would still get a unique Hat for the fighters. This also gives him the ability to swallow enemies seen in Smash Run and then get abilities from them using the default hats instead of unique ones.}

Make half of his alt costumes have the classic face.

What other characters or ideas for the mentioned characters do you all have?

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I am going to go out and make a prediction. If we're getting a bonus fighter pack, they will be someone, or something, from Metroid Dread. On a promotional pick viewpoint, the timing of the game's release and the window where the hypothetical bonus fighter would be announced would make perfect sense.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Just something I realized. Tekken is the source for Rage in Smash 4 and Ultimate when characters get over 100% as a comeback mechanic.
Kazuya's state can be triggered by damage, but it also goes away under specific circumstances so it at least won't be a copy of the existing Rage system.

Also, I'm now pretty sure I'm mistaken on Devil form being a state. I think it might be that Devil form is for his Smash Attacks, Special Moves, and jump animations, while his "state" is the red glowey stuff (probably Rage). If I were to hazard a guess, activating Rage (through getting hit, or possibly also hitting others) allows you to do a "Rage Art", a one use or one successful use enhanced Special Move with dumb properties like grabs that beat normal attacks (or maybe that's the only Rage Art, I dunno).

Also Also, his Final Smash is just a Special Move, but better, which is kinda lame.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I'm still banking on Shadow the Hedgehog. Though actually I think Kazuya's Mii wave could tell us alot

One of the type of candidates I'd be paying attention to are Indie Characters. Indie games as a medium have grown to heights that weren't seen even during the Smash 4 era, and it's also a medium that Nintendo is in full support of

One of the things I've noticed is that there haven't been Indie Costumes for FP2 at all. I guess the closet thing would be Travis if you consider Grasshopper games indie, and Steve was an indie character at one point (and Mojiang uses the name they had when they were Indie in the copyright) however I don't think people consider Minecraft indie anymore

So I think the lack of Indie Costumes in Kazuya's Mii Wave might give more credence towards an Indie character being the final character. It would especially make sense for Indie characters to be the last character since

-Indie characters are on average smaller characters than characters from more established companies
-Indie characters need more work done on the 3D Assets. All the FP2 characters we've have been in games with 3D Assets before, but Indie games are typically in 2D Style, with no 3D Assets. FNAF is an exception to the rule

Another thing to consider is the theming of Kazuya's Pack. Kazuya comes from Tekken, which is a fighting game, so I'd expect Fighting game Mii Costumes in this pack, and he's also a Namco character so I'd expect that too. However another important theme is that Kazuya has Devil Influence with his Devil Gene/Devil Form, so it's possible for characters like Dante and Shin Megami Tensi characters to show up also

So besides Namco, there's the good chance of other Companies, like Capcom and Sega showing up, and Indies should be kept on the lookout

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Rayman's one of those characters who, while I'm really not confident at all about getting in

If he did, that'd really just re-affirm "Yeah, Pass 2 is passed over content, the pass", imo.

Especially now since Ubisoft's back on the table due to Kazuya, it wouldn't be impossible, though I have my doubts.
I heard Rayman shared his thoughts about this recent development regarding the Mii Costumes, and this is the first we've heard from him.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I'm still banking on Shadow the Hedgehog. Though actually I think Kazuya's Mii wave could tell us alot

One of the type of candidates I'd be paying attention to are Indie Characters. Indie games as a medium have grown to heights that weren't seen even during the Smash 4 era, and it's also a medium that Nintendo is in full support of

One of the things I've noticed is that there haven't been Indie Costumes for FP2 at all. I guess the closet thing would be Travis if you consider Grasshopper games indie, and Steve was an indie character at one point (and Mojiang uses the name they had when they were Indie in the copyright) however I don't think people consider Minecraft indie anymore

So I think the lack of Indie Costumes in Kazuya's Mii Wave might give more credence towards an Indie character being the final character. It would especially make sense for Indie characters to be the last character since

-Indie characters are on average smaller characters than characters from more established companies
-Indie characters need more work done on the 3D Assets. All the FP2 characters we've have been in games with 3D Assets before, but Indie games are typically in 2D Style, with no 3D Assets. FNAF is an exception to the rule

Another thing to consider is the theming of Kazuya's Pack. Kazuya comes from Tekken, which is a fighting game, so I'd expect Fighting game Mii Costumes in this pack, and he's also a Namco character so I'd expect that too. However another important theme is that Kazuya has Devil Influence with his Devil Gene/Devil Form, so it's possible for characters like Dante and Shin Megami Tensi characters to show up also

So besides Namco, there's the good chance of other Companies, like Capcom and Sega showing up, and Indies should be kept on the lookout
Ya know
I’ll hop on that indie train with you if we don’t get an indie Deluxe mii in this wave

Frisk is personally who’d I’d bank on
Toby Fox traveled all the way to Japan only for him and Sakurai to negotiate a mii costume and a track.. but what if their interaction resulted in something greater?

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
When it comes to speculation, the idea of narrowing down picks has basically fallen apart with the inclusion of Tekken. So I'm not reasonably confident in disregarding characters anymore for whatever reason. It's pretty tricky. All we can reasonably do is say what would be the most worthy or deserving. What immediately comes to mind for me are Nintendo, Crash, Resident Evil, GTA, Red Dead, Halo, Kingdom Hearts, Tomb Raider, Half-Life, The Sims, PuyoPuyo, and Phantasy Star (The last one is based on if Sakurai was actually inspired by a Phantasy Star contest to become a game designer.)

There are probably more series or companies that don't instantly spring to my mind that make sense too though, so don't take my list as purposely leaving series out.

I essentially have no clue what to hedge bets on saftley. I guess the problem is you almost can't.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion

My 3 and a half Big Bad Burger King Bets are:

1. Decidueye, the dead owl. For very Pokemon Legends Arceus related reasons/prior consideration

2. Shantae, for aforementioned indie reasons/complications with moveset necessitating more time, especially if she is straight up belly dancing into an elephant in addition to magic and hair slapping.

3. Shadow/Waluigi, one of the two, just to break one last fan rule, "no assist promotions".

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
So about Decidueye:
Pokémon Legends Arcues comes out in late January 2022.
If he’s revealed alongside a new and major trailer for the game, that’d make sense.
A stand-alone reveal could make some sense too, to promote the game a few months before its release

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
So about Decidueye:
Pokémon Legends Arcues comes out in late January 2022.
If he’s revealed alongside a new and major trailer for the game, that’d make sense.
A stand-alone reveal could make some sense too, to promote the game a few months before its release
keep in mind decidueye was almost base roster

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I’m feeling like it’s probably Euden lmao.
Like 7nator said, I think the mii of Kazuya presentation might change a bit speculation, but for now what I have in mind:
-Ryu Hayabusa: I don't know, people seems more sceptical about him recently but for me nothing really changed about his chance. He still have a big legacy and Koei still got no content in fighter pass 2.
-Arle: Like Hayabusa people seems pretty sceptical about her more recently, but Puyo puyo is still big and Sega still have no content of fighter pass 2 (which is even more weird considering that they have a character in pass 1 and Microsoft and Square enix did too and got another character in fighter pass 2).
-Chorus kids: Not sure if Nintendo would really want this character but Sakurai did wanted them, and just like Heihachi was considered for Smash 4 he could reuse their concept and add them.
-Frisk: Nintendo could have seen the good reception for Sans mii costume and might have want to add Frisk.

Twilord

Smash Ace
I really don't understand the idea or want of having to reboot Smash at all. It feels like something that they would do, but really shouldn't.

Why can't they just remaster Smash Ultimate and occasionally expand and enhance it for at least two generations?? Worked fine for GTAV
Because GTA wasn't made using materials they borrowed from other Publishers and Developers.

Sakurai told us this project involved calling in a lot of his favours in the industry and probably can't be repeated.

Porting Smash Ultimate basically means the eventual next gen version would be the same with less characters than now at launch. That just seems to be the legal reality.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom