• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stratos

Smash Lord
I like Adventure Mode and who knows what it will be like in the next Super Smash Bros. game. However, in the series I always like newcomers to come from various video games, like everyone else.

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
They don't own them. If they own an IP, then by definition, it cannot be third party
See they actually do own some of the designs and all the characters that first appear in Bayonetta 2, like Loki and Loptr; among other things.

Content like that makes a weird dynamic where they effectively own a chunk of a third party IP but not the IP itself.

Edge cases like that are where I would be "soft" on the restriction.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Bruh you liked my post about how it's not anything and that you just want it to be Rayman, how did you miss that?
I already know that, but I just want a Word of God to solve that question once and for all.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
That's like asking Sakurai what meaning there was to adding a banana gun instead of a potato gun, it doesn't need an answer because the question shouldn't be asked
You do got a point.

But Imma still ask Sakurai about that, too. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
"Sometimes a block of ice is just a block of ice"
"So just be quiet and eat your sandwich, Orville."

That aside, Assassin's Creed doesn't feel unlikely when Ubisoft really pushes the series alot. Probably the only other Ubisoft series with a chance besides Rayman and Rabbids.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
That's like asking Sakurai what meaning there was to adding a banana gun instead of a potato gun, it doesn't need an answer because the question shouldn't be asked
Well why DIDNT we get a potato gun!? >:(
this is satire btw

But fr I mean Technomage is just curious about the iceberg, of course it won't mean he'll get his question answered.

Stratos

Smash Lord
Maybe the Andy the protagonist of Advance Wars series coming as newcomer in next Super Smash Bros.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
They don't own them. If they own an IP, then by definition, it cannot be third party
Rareware stuff (Banjo-Kazooie, Battletoads, Perfect Dark) went from 1st party (technically 2nd I guess) to 3rd party. So it is possible and has happened.

Paraster

Smash Lord
I'm surprised nobody seems to have suggested a game since Kazuya tbh. If the next fighter was from another franchise that got a Mii costume but not the characters that got the costumes, who would you like? The Miis for those who don't remember are:

Morgana, Yu, Teddie, Makoto, Tails, Knuckles, DQ Veronica, Erdrick, Martial Artist class, Slime, Goemon, Proto Man, Zero, Team Rocket, Sans, Nakoruru, Ryo, Iori, Akira, Jacky, Altaïr, Rabbid, X, Mega Man.exe, Cuphead, Ninjara, Heihachi, Vault Boy, Callie, Marie, Creeper, Pig, Diamond Armour, Gil, Bomberman, Travis, Barret, Tifa, Aerith, Chocobo, Geno, Monster Hunter, Felyne and Arthur

Feel like we may get some interesting choices nobody considers like Firebrand
Frisk or Papyrus (leaning towards Frisk)
Octoling

...that's about it when it comes to characters I'd like. I suppose Rayman and Ezio would make sense even if I'm personally not enthused for them.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So I just had a thought to why maybe Specifically Kazuya was revealed at E3 this year over other potential characters (like perhaps CP11)

E3, compared to Regular Nintendo Directs, Are where more eyes from people outside of the Nintendo space will be paying attention. I don't think Nintendo directs get the million of views that the E3 Direct did

Tekken as a franchise is really something that has the most appeal outside of Nintendo. I can only name a few games that have been on Nintendo Consoles (Tekken Advance, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 on Wii U, Tekken 3D Prime) and Tekken is currently not on Switch

So Showing Kazuya at E3 was better there than in a Regular Direct, because you have the attention of more of the audience familiar with Tekken (which is not Nintendo). Same reason why we got Joker and Sephiroth at Game Awards (where there's also alot of General gamers), since they have most of their appeal outside of Nintendo, though in the Case of Sephiroth, FF7 is on Switch, and in Joker's case, there on Persona 5 Spin-offs on switch

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Rareware stuff (Banjo-Kazooie, Battletoads, Perfect Dark) went from 1st party (technically 2nd I guess) to 3rd party. So it is possible and has happened.
They can no longer own a property, like the Rare stuff, but it can't be owned by them and be third-party at the same time. The closest would be if they own certain aspects of a a third-party, like how they potentially own Bayo's Bayo 2 design, but the IP itself is not owned by Nintendo.

Fwiw though Battletoads was never owned by Nintendo.

Twilord

Smash Ace
Idea for the next Smash Bros

• 36 characters.
  • No series created before Smash 64.
  • Everyone has an all new moveset grounded in much more extensive gimmicks.
  • Only series that Nintendo have published a game in since the Wii's launch
  • "New Super Smash Bros"

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
You know.

I'm gonna go and say it.

I think Shantae is actually a likely candidate now.

Beforehand, I always saw her as a no hope but...

She fits a lot of criteria I suspect the last character will have.

• Small third party franchise
  • Popular Smash pic (but not too popular)
  • A developer that is close to Nintendo
  • A reveal that would have been strange at E3
  • Potentially complex moveset that would have meant a long development time
She kinda fits all of that.

Who'd have thought?
You'd better be right about dis, swamphead! You and me, we have our alleycat differences, but lemme tell you DIS you alleycat: If you're right about dis...

I'll buy you Burger King

BURGER KING!!! HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR BURGER KING!

Shantae is one of my most wanteds. I had given up on her but if she happens to show up right at the last second I would LOVE her!

To put it another way... I put money into Half-Genie Hero, my name is in the credits of that game. Of COURSE I'm in Shantae's corner.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
See they actually do own some of the designs and all the characters that first appear in Bayonetta 2, like Loki and Loptr; among other things.

Content like that makes a weird dynamic where they effectively own a chunk of a third party IP but not the IP itself.

Edge cases like that are where I would be "soft" on the restriction.
They don't own the IP though so unless they put the designs to use in something else (and even that might not be accurate) they would still be 3rd party characters.

Stuff like this is why Geno basically never gets used by Nintendo or SquareEnix.

Twilord

Smash Ace
They don't own the IP though so unless they put the designs to use in something else (and even that might not be accurate) they would still be 3rd party characters.

Stuff like this is why Geno basically never gets used by Nintendo or SquareEnix.

Uhh... we should probably still have Mario in Smash Bros even if Square have rights to some of the characters...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Uhh... we should probably still have Mario in Smash Bros even if Square have rights to some of the characters...
Not what I meant. I mean that even if they own stuff like certain Bayonetta character designs, they don't own the Bayonetta IP and therefore still have to get permission to use them. They're still 3rd party characters.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
  • 36 characters.
  • "New Super Smash Bros"
Every single one of those sounds absolutely terrible...

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
Not what I meant. I mean that even if they own stuff like certain Bayonetta character designs, they don't own the Bayonetta IP and therefore still have to get permission to use them. They're still 3rd party characters.

Yeah, but my point was there is a subjective judgement call to be made on 'does that count'.

I'm pretty sure Intelligent Systems own Fire-Emblem and I know Nintendo don't actually own Intelligent Systems; but I think Nintendo do have some rights to Fire-Emblem without actually owning the IP.

In short - I'm pretty sure its actually waaaay blurrier than we think.

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
You know.

I'm gonna go and say it.

I think Shantae is actually a likely candidate now.

Beforehand, I always saw her as a no hope but...

She fits a lot of criteria I suspect the last character will have.

• Small third party franchise
  • Popular Smash pic (but not too popular)
  • A developer that is close to Nintendo
  • A reveal that would have been strange at E3
  • Potentially complex moveset that would have meant a long development time
She kinda fits all of that.

Who'd have thought?
If she is the final character, that would make me extremely happy.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
If she is the final character, that would make me extremely happy.
I don't really know why they'd pick her though, she was most requested back in like 2014. Nobody has really talked about her since then and Shantae's series isn't really the most marketable series

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm a teeny bit intrested in Kazuya's moveset, but to be perfectly honest, I think I'm looking forward to the Mii costumes and potential amiibo reveals more than the character this time. We haven't had much luck so far in the second pass, but a deluxe costume would be nice.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
The next Smash Bros should take out all of the Nintendo characters and just fill it with third party ones at launch and then “release” the Nintendo characters periodically which are more or less locked paywalls on disc. Maximizes the profits as well as the douchebaggery.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

• 36 characters.
  • "New Super Smash Bros"
  • Smaller roster by over 50%
  • No Animal Crossing
  • No Pikmin
  • No Miis
  • No Wii Fit
  • No Bayonetta
  • No Xenoblade Chronicles
  • No Minecraft
  • No Splatoon
  • No ARMS
  • No Present or Future New IPs
  • No big 3rd party characters in general
  • Title evocative of the incredibly stale New Super Mario Bros. series.
I think pretty much everyone would agree that this would be a straight up downgrade.

Tbf some moveset overhauls would be neat, Samus especially looks very stiff despite constantly being portrayed as agile and how more dynamic she's been in terms of combat since Other M, which coincidentally was the one good thing in Other M
I'm not sure if he's against reworks in general, but they definitely lost him with "extensive gimmicks".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom