• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The thing that makes me hesitant on a BotW2 rep is like.... who's even a viable candidate?

The Champions seem like the obvious answer, but I don't see one getting in without all of them getting in, since one really isn't any more important than the others.

There's Zelda, I guess, but Sakurai's done the whole "Eh, she doesn't look like a fighter."

Then there's Ganoncorpse, who we know jack about as of right now.

So that leaves what? Hyrule Warriors Impa? Which got a Spirit Event recently?

I'm kinda serious when I suggest Lynel as a BotW rep since no other characters really seem like they'd work tbh.
That's a weird question to be asking when we've only seen seconds of BotW2. For all we know there could be a major sidekick or villain that would be the obvious rep for the game, or even a second playable character. Until the marketing for the game really kicks in - most likely on the E3 Direct - we can't really say for sure that there's no realistic candidate.

This applies for any game really. Maybe Metroid Prime 4 or Splatoon 3 or some other unannounced game gets shown off come June 15th that gives us a glaringly obvious new contender or boosts the appeal of an existing candidate. If speculation is still a thing after E3 I expect major shakeups.

Shroob

Sup?
That's a weird question to be asking when we've only seen seconds of BotW2. For all we know there could be a major sidekick or villain that would be the obvious rep for the game, or even a second playable character. Until the marketing for the game really kicks in - most likely on the E3 Direct - we can't really say for sure that there's no realistic candidate.

This applies for any game really. Maybe Metroid Prime 4 or Splatoon 3 or some other unannounced game gets shown off come June 15th that gives us a glaringly obvious new contender or boosts the appeal of an existing candidate. If speculation is still a thing after E3 I expect major shakeups.
That's the thing though.

That'd be getting a character before their game's even out, something that hasn't been a thing since Roy, in Melee.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
That's the thing though.

That'd be getting a character before their game's even out, something that hasn't been a thing since Roy, in Melee.
Well, Covid might have had an impact on BOTW2 development and we could have had a character that was planned far in advance and meant to be shown off to us much earlier before the pandemic hit for all we know.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Do people think people dont like characters for being inherently first party? Like everyone would've loved Pyra if she was from a different company?
It feels weird to answer this. Cause I feel like the reception wouldn't be any different if it was either Pyra and Mythra or 2B from Nier. Is that weird of me to think? Like just switch their companies around in an alternate universe and they'd receive the same reaction as the other from their original company in our universe?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Well, Covid might have had an impact on BOTW2 development and we could have had a character that was planned far in advance and meant to be shown off to us much earlier before the pandemic hit for all we know.
But again, not out.

I feel pretty confident that Nintendo won't drop a character we basically have zero connection to in Smash before their game's even out.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I'm not putting much stock in a Breath of the Wild 2 rep. If ARMS and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 were too recent when the base game's roster was decided, I don't see how a game that only had mere seconds of it shown off at E3 2019, had no news since then, and likely won't be out until at least 2022 is enough time to decide on a character for Fighters Pass 2, even if a lot of the characters/concepts for that game have been established at this point.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That's the thing though.

Read the second part. It's equally possible that a character that already exists sees their profile raised by a yet-unrevealed game. Like if we get a new Kirby game announced and there's a mode where you play exclusively as Bandana Dee, you know people will start paying attention.

As for getting a character before their game is released, I really wouldn't put it past Nintendo at this point, especially because, like with Roy, the pandemic might have delayed the release of a game that would've otherwise predated the character.

Shroob

Sup?
Read the second part. It's equally possible that a character that already exists sees their profile raised by a yet-unrevealed game. Like if we get a new Kirby game announced and there's a mode where you play exclusively as Bandana Dee, you know people will start paying attention.

As for getting a character before their game is released, I really wouldn't put it past Nintendo at this point, especially because, like with Roy, the pandemic might have delayed the release of a game that would've otherwise predated the character.
I severely doubt that 2nd half.

I do think E3 will dump a ton of BotW2 news, but that's a holiday release at the absolute earliest, and probably would have always been one, and a 2022 drop at the latest. If you put a gun to my head and asked me to tell you when the Smash DLC will end, September earliest, October latest.

Shroob

Sup?
They already did that with :ultroy: though.

And if you count international release dates, :ultmarth::ultlucas::ultcorrin::ultcorrinf: as well.
I really don't count international release dates, because we at least knew the character existed, and parts of the fanbase could play as said character.

If they announced Zora McFinFace in a BotW2 trailer as this uber important character, and then dropped them in Smash, all we'd have to go off of them would be the trailer footage and how they are in Smash, nothing about how they are in their actual game.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I'll be real; I don't expect BoTW2 in any capacity whatsoever. You all saw the extensive development of the original game, and while asset reuse ala Majora's Mask is definitely what seems to be going on, that was developed on a tight schedule, and Nintendo's been pretty adamant these years in avoiding crunch. Best case scenario, we'll get, like, a teaser or something. This may blow up in my face, only time will tell.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I realize most of my wanted are deconfirmed (Bomberman, Shovel Knight, Knuckles, Shadow) or unlikely, (various Pokemon, Super Monkey Ball, Rayman) anybody else in the same boat? Thankfully, I already got 2 of my 3 big most wanteds. (K. Rool and Banjo)

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I realize most of my wanted are deconfirmed (Bomberman, Shovel Knight, Knuckles, Shadow) or unlikely, (various Pokemon, Super Monkey Ball, Rayman) anybody else in the same boat? Thankfully, I already got 2 of my 3 big most wanteds. (K. Rool and Banjo)
Don't feel bad. My MW is unlikely for a multitude of reasons. Yours probably have a lot of credence to back them up.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
What was your 3rd big most wanted?

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Roy I feel is a bit of a different case. Yes, his game wasn't released at the time and he was added solely to promote said game, but Roy was also a clone of Marth and was fairly easy to develop, as clones tend to be. Let's also not forget that there were internal debates regarding if Marth and Roy should be exclusive to Japan and not be playable overseas before that was eventually decided against. So he's a bit of an enigma as far as Smash origins go.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I severely doubt that 2nd half.

I do think E3 will dump a ton of BotW2 news, but that's a holiday release at the absolute earliest, and probably would have always been one, and a 2022 drop at the latest. If you put a gun to my head and asked me to tell you when the Smash DLC will end, September earliest, October latest.
You're entitled to your hunches about hypothetical release dates, but I think it's pretty optimistic to assume that no major Nintendo release got delayed when even small games like the FDC remakes did and we know 2020 titles like Pikmin 3 and the Mario anniversary releases had their release dates shifted due to the pandemic.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Good lord the suspense is literally giving me anxiety... lol

View attachment 318236
If you own any pre-7 Mario Party, start up a game, set yourself to CPU, and set all 4 players to the highest possible setting. I used to do it all the time if I wanted to unwind.

Either that or take a hot bath, anything works as a stress reliever, really.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
It's equally possible that a character that already exists sees their profile raised by a yet-unrevealed game.
While this is true, I’d argue the teaser makes it pretty clear that the big three characters are Link, Zelda and Ganondorf. Likewise if they teased a Kirby game starring Bandana Dee in a prominent role, he’d probably show up in that initial trailer too.

Shroob

Sup?
You're entitled to your hunches about hypothetical release dates, but I think it's pretty optimistic to assume that no major Nintendo release got delayed when even small games like the FDC remakes did and we know 2020 titles like Pikmin 3 and the Mario anniversary releases had their release dates shifted due to the pandemic.
I don't doubt BotW2 probably got delayed.

But it was never going to be anything but a holiday release game. That's a game you drop around Xmas time to get the big fiscal spike. And Smash is going to end long before that time hits. I don't see a reality where BotW2 is announced at E3 and they go "It's out in like 2 months lol"

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
It really does seem like the general majority of fans enter full-on tinfoil hat time whenever an announcement looms, huh? Especially around E3. This is why I've given up on guessing and have resorted to simply daydreaming.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
While this is true, I’d argue the teaser makes it pretty clear that the big three characters are Link, Zelda and Ganondorf. Likewise if they teased a Kirby game starring Bandana Dee in a prominent role, he’d probably show up in that initial trailer too.
The BotW2 teaser was just that. A teaser. It was nothing more than confirmation that one of the biggest and most acclaimed games on the Switch was getting a sequel, which is somewhat of a rarity for Nintendo. There's no gameplay footage and no title. I wouldn't be quick to assume it tells us much of what to expect from the game, considering it was vague enough to spur questions of whether Zelda's playable. Just to give some examples, Twilight Princess' teaser didn't show Midna, and Breath of the Wild's didn't show the Champions.

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
The stereotype of "Nintendo fans get mad when a Nintendo character is revealed for their Nintendo game" didn't come from nowhere.
These same people are also stereotyped as wanting Waluigi so the argument doesn't make sense. Are you saying Byleth for examplw wouldn't have been controversial if FE was a third party series?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Roy honestly is the exception that proves the rule. His case was already a special one as he was supposed to have released before his game in Japan and being someone they could use a pre-existing moveset for, but they haven't repeated his case since. Whether they were a possible clone or not, no other character was included before their game officially released, and it seems to be an intentional aversion as Sakurai has stated he skipped over characters that released 'too late' for inclusion at the time. Additionally, with Byleth it's even stated that they wanted a character from a game people were playing at the time, and TH had been released for a few months before their inclusion, so with this round of DLC there may even be a leaning more towards characters people will be familiar with.

Also, with BotW2, even assuming that the game did get delayed due to Covid, I agree with Shroob that it's unlikely the date shifted so much that it would be released very early as that's a big title you want to release at a major period like the Holidays. With the Smash current DLC schedule, which was dealing with the pressures of Covid, the last character is looking to release by September. A BotW2 character is not going to have the timing of Byleth or even Corrin internationally, they'll be off by at least a couple months. That's out of the strategic window they seem to go for and doesn't seem to fit the planning that both Sakurai and Nintendo go for with those type of character.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
For the record, regarding Kirby games, at least for the last few games, they don’t usually reveal alternate-character specific side modes in their initial reveal. They might imply it, if the intro focuses on a character, but they don’t reveal them outright.

At least not intentionally, anyway. For example, they goofed up and revealed Meta Knightmare Returns among other modes for Planet Robobot on the game’s English Nintendo.com page description on the day it was revealed in a Direct. They shortly afterward changed its description to not give away as much info. They also accidentally leaked BWD being playable in Star Allies in a trailer that showed him cameoing on the title screen with an elemental power equipped, although that wasn’t the initial reveal.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna be honest, I guessed a BOTW rep because them introducing a character to us and then suddenly showing them in Smash just sounds like a Nintendo move to me. It might not make much sense logically thinking about development times, but it's just something I can personally see happening. Like we are introduced to them in a BOTW 2 trailer and then they stumble upon a smash letter or something and it switches to smash. I'm probably wrong, but I lose nothing throwing a guess out there!

Yeah, my most wanted are Phoenix Wright, Dante, Goemon, and Lloyd. Goemon is deconfirmed, Phoenix and Dante are both not getting in together plus that Capcom costume wave makes me nervous about them and Lloyd is in Mii costume limbo. My most wanted ever was Banjo too so I'm glad we both got that at least!

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Ok I just finished watching Maximillian Dood's E3 2021 Prediction video.
He gave me an idea.

According to him, one more Street Fighter 5 DLC character is yet to be revealed. ALSO, it hasn't been revealed for almost a year now. Imagine if it's a Nintendo character, let's say Captain Falcon, and then the Nintendo direct reveals that Chun-Li's coming to Smash....

Technomage

Smash Champion
He gave me an idea.

According to him, one more Street Fighter 5 DLC character is yet to be revealed. ALSO, it hasn't been revealed for almost a year now. Imagine if it's a Nintendo character, let's say Captain Falcon, and then the Nintendo direct reveals that Chun-Li's coming to Smash....
That'd be genius!

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
He gave me an idea.

Given SF5 is a Playstation exclusive atm, I wouldn't bet on a Nintendo character happening

Chun LI in Smash is still a decent possibility and I'd love to see her, though I think Capcom's done for this pass

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom