• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I realize most of my wanted are deconfirmed (Bomberman, Shovel Knight, Knuckles, Shadow) or unlikely, (various Pokemon, Super Monkey Ball, Rayman) anybody else in the same boat? Thankfully, I already got 2 of my 3 big most wanteds. (K. Rool and Banjo)
Most of my most wanted had almost no chance to begin with. My top three most wanted are the Battletoads, Magus from Chrono Trigger, and Zegram Ghart from Rogue Galaxy. Out of these, only the Battletoads have a chance and it’s a small one. My other most wanted characters include Illidan, Velvet, Lu Bu, Bill Rizer, Sub-Zero, Fulgore, Sarah Kerrigan, and lots of others. Some of those are technically possible but still unlikely.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
It's been a few days and I've now seen the worst Smash discourse now. Well 2nd worst(1st is the Earthquake = Isaac theory). How in the world did this Platformer vs JRPG thing start?

SKX31

Smash Master
It's been a few days and I've now seen the worst Smash discourse now. Well 2nd worst(1st is the Earthquake = Isaac theory). How in the world did this Platformer vs JRPG thing start?
Twitter arguments. And a relatively broad refusal amongst those involved to stand down on principle when those involved had commited, even if the metaphorical hill was not worth much of anything. As usual with internet arguments.

As for my predictions: I'm not going to commit to any specific characters - I'm most prepared for the Arle / Adol combination, although they're not solid 1/2 for me because there are ca. 50 solid contenders at least. As such, I'm feeling that a relatively big third party stands at ca. 40-50 % chance of happening, a smaller third party I'd wager is 55-60 %, and a first party at 30-40 %.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So, who do you guys think will be the last two DLC characters for Smash Bros. Ultimate?
My prediction has remained the same for a little while now: Master Chief and a Sega character.

Chief kinda explains himself at this point, I have some faith in a strong emphasis on Microsoft / Nintendo collaboration at E3 and I do believe we’ll see one more “big” reveal.

Sega is between Arle and Tails in my book. With the trend of FP2 sticking with companies involved in FP1 with Sega being one of the only partners with zero content in FP2 to speak of, I think it looks good for them either way.

Could pan out like Capcom, which I also once had a good feeling about - and it’s worth noting that Sega already did get a spread of both old and new content in FP1 - but I feel like it’s one of the best leads we have right now. It helps that there aren’t a whole lot of first party picks I find viable at the moment.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Ok I just finished watching Maximillian Dood's E3 2021 Prediction video.
He gave me an idea.

According to him, one more Street Fighter 5 DLC character is yet to be revealed. ALSO, it hasn't been revealed for almost a year now. Imagine if it's a Nintendo character, let's say Captain Falcon, and then the Nintendo direct reveals that Chun-Li's coming to Smash....
Icl, I really do think that final character could be an SNK character... or just a non-Capcom crossover character in general.

Dunno who, but just a feeling.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
My prediction has remained the same for a little while now: Master Chief and a Sega character.

Sega is between Arle and Tails in my book. With the trend of FP2 sticking with companies involved in FP1 with Sega being one of the only partners with zero content in FP2 to speak of, I think it looks good for them either way.

Could pan out like Capcom, which I also once had a good feeling about - and it’s worth noting that Sega already did get a spread of both old and new content in FP1 - but I feel like it’s one of the best leads we have right now. It helps that there aren’t a whole lot of first party picks I find viable at the moment.
I feel like Dr. Robotnik and Tails are 50/50. I do think it is down to those two characters for Sonic series.

I don't see either happening but I wouldn't mind these being the final options.

MaplePie

Smash Cadet
I realize most of my wanted are deconfirmed (Bomberman, Shovel Knight, Knuckles, Shadow) or unlikely, (various Pokemon, Super Monkey Ball, Rayman) anybody else in the same boat? Thankfully, I already got 2 of my 3 big most wanteds. (K. Rool and Banjo)
I don't even know if my character is deconfirmed or not. He doesn't have a spirit, but a lot of people say that another spirit represents him which I personally don't believe. I only got one most wanted who is Steve. Just one more most wanted.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’ve mentioned my guesses before but I might as well post them again with a little explanation for why I picked them.

My first guess is Dixie Kong. We barely have any Tropical Freeze content in Smash and I don’t think we have anything from DKC3 other than a Dixie and Kiddy spirit. Dixie was also originally planned for Brawl so she’s definitely on Sakurai’s radar. Finally, the color theory predicts a pink background which fits Dixie perfectly.

My second guess is a little more out there. I have a feeling we’re going to get Scorpion with a Sub-Zero semiclone as a bonus character. Mortal Kombat is banned in Japan so I get why nobody expects a character. The main thing that makes me lean towards Scorpion are the rumors of a bonus character. We already have a similar situation with Ryu and Ken and I think it would be awesome to get both of MK’s iconic ninjas so we can finally see Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter cross over through Smash. I can’t think of anything more hype for an E3 reveal than a MK vs SF intro trailer set to Techno Syndrome.

Last edited:

MaplePie

Smash Cadet
So, was today’s Doomguy leak fake, then? Nobody’s been talking about it since I saw the first post about it when I woke up.
I would not go too deep into it. There was a KOS-MOS smash mod video that got taken down by Nintendo because of "Mariokart." However, Pyra and Mythra got in instead which kinda sucked for me because I really wanted KOS-MOS to be the next xeno rep.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
How in the world did this Platformer vs JRPG thing start?
Technically it's gone on for years but it randomly decided to become even worse JUST BEFORE Pyra & Mythra were announced with the actual creation of the Scrimblo Bimblo term, and then it became EVEN EVEN WORSE a couple of days ago with several more JRPGguy vs. Scrimblo memes popping up.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I would not go too deep into it. There was a KOS-MOS smash mod that got taken down by Nintendo because of "Mariokart." However, Pyra and Mythra got in instead which kinda sucked for me because I really wanted KOS-MOS to be the next xeno rep.
What does any of that have to do with the Doomguy “leak?”

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I can think of someone people would probably go crazy for (again)...

It's not gonna happen but if they actually add one of the BotW champions I'd really prefer Sidon to be the pick.

I mean they could go with Urbosa, Mipha, Daruk or Revali, but they are not going to appear in the sequel for obvious reasons and I'd expect for the new 4 "champions" to return in the new game, with a similar or even bigger role, depending in how the story unfolds. So if they wanna do some cross promotion it would make more sense to pick a character that is actually going to be in BotW 2.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
As my predictions for the final two, my bets are on Chosen Undead and Waluigi.

Don't know what order they'd be revealed, but I think it could go either way.
If I may ask but what makes you so certain on Waluigi? Feels more like if he were to get in he'd be a bonus fighter similar to Piranha Plant.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
If I may ask but what makes you so certain on Waluigi? Feels more like if he were to get in he'd be a bonus fighter similar to Piranha Plant.
Idk, mostly a gut feeling.

They went back on both ARMS and Xenoblade 2, and Waluigi also seems like a character they'd wanna revert on at some point, whether it be dlc here in Ultimate or next game. I'm sure he's at least been on the Smash team's mind.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Majima's pirate cousin? :4pacman:

What's Rogue Galaxy like? And what mechanics could it bring to Smash?
Rogue Galaxy is an action RPG made by Level 5 for the PlayStation 2. If you’ve ever played the Dark Cloud games, the gameplay and weapon fusion systems are almost exactly the same. The main difference between Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy is that in Rogue Galaxy, you fight with three party members at once instead of just one. There are also powerful skills each character has. Finally, Rogue Galaxy no longer uses randomly generated dungeons.

The story starts out on a desert slave planet. A crew of space pirates lands on the planet searching for the legendary hero, Desert Claw to join their crew and hunt for treasures throughout the galaxy. There is a big misunderstanding and the crew mistakes the main protagonist, Jaster Rogue as the legendary hero and take him aboard. The game travels to many different planets and each has their own stories and side characters.

Zegram was already one of the crew mates when Jaster was recruited and he was aware Jaster wasn’t Desert Claw so he never really warmed up to him until much later. Although Zegram is part of the crew, he has his own goals and ends up feuding with Jaster over something that I won’t get into due to plot spoilers.

I made a full moveset for Zegram that references Rogue Galaxy’s mechanics.

General Play Style and Gimmicks

Zegram is a slower, more powerful sword user compared to most of the cast. His power and attributes would be very similar to Ike. Like Ike, Zegram also uses a huge sword with only one hand. The biggest thing separating himself from Ike is the fact that he has a stronger focus on projectiles and area attacks.

In Rogue Galaxy, Zegram has several skills that temporarily buff either himself or his teammates. These include Drunken Burst, which raises his team’s attack power, Parry, which increases evasion, Fire Sword which temporarily infuses his sword in flames, and Twin Sword , which spawns a secondary sword adding a second hit to all his attacks. I think the most interesting one here is Twin Sword. In Smash, this will be represented as a temporary powered up state akin to Joker’s Arsene. This will only apply to Zegram’s A moves and his specials will be unaffected.

Weak Attacks

Neutral - Zegram Attacks with four quick horizontal slashes followed by a stronger spinning slash. If the A button is held instead, Zegram charges up and performs a single stronger spinning leaping downward slash. This is a great shield breaking move. This represents both Zegram’s basic combination attack in Rogue Galaxy as well as his charge up shield breaking move.

Forward tilt - This one is very similar to Ike’s forward tilt. A slightly overhead, downward angled horizontal slash.

Up tilt -Zegram thrusts his sword directly upward similar to Marth’s up smash.

Down tilt - Zegram performs a quick downward stab into the ground. This represents Zegram’s normal attack on downed enemies in Rogue Galaxy.

Smash attacks

Forward smash – Fire Sword – When Twin Sword isn’t active, this attack is similar to Ike’s forward smash but infused in flames. When Twin Sword is active, Zegram slashes forward in an X pattern with two swords.

Up smash –Fire Sword – Zegram infuses his sword in flames and thrusts his sword upward in a sweeping motion. The animation for this attack would look a lot like Cloud’s up smash.

Down smash – Death Break – Zegram carves a spell circle in the ground with his sword and stabs the ground dealing considerable damage to a fairly wide range. This attack has a fairly long startup but the damage and knockback is very strong.

Specials

Neutral special – Shuriken - Zegram throws a shuriken that travels in a straight line in the direction the opponent was at the time of throwing it up to 45 degrees upward or downward. This is about the speed and power of Falco’s blaster. After throwing a set number of these, there is a cooldown before he can throw another. The cooldown can be greatly reduced by shielding. This represents Zegram’s standard ranged attack in Rogue Galaxy.

Up special – Inferno Vortex - Zegram summons a flaming tornado that damages enemies traps them in it while propelling Zegram upwards

Forward special – Burning Strike – A 5 hit combination attack in the same vein as Marth’s forward B chain. The first strike is a downward overhead slash. The second is a powerful upward slash. The third is a sweeping horizontal slash. The fourth strike is another powerful upward slash. For the final strike, he throws a flaming shuriken that drags the enemy upward in an arc as the shuriken turns into a flaming phoenix. This would be a slower but more powerful attack compared to Marth’s chain.

Down special – Lightning – Zegram thrusts his sword in the air and summons a lightning storm that damage enemies in range. Unlike Pikachu’s thunder, Zegram’s Lighting is a fairly weak move that hits a wider range. Although it does mild damage, it does stun all enemies struck by the lighting similar to Zero Suit Samus’ blaster.

Running Attack

Running attack - This one is kind of similar to Link’s running attack where Zegram performs a strong leaping strike.

Aerial attacks

Neutral air - Zegram Performs two horizontal slashes followed by an overhead downward slash. This is his aerial combo from Rogue Galaxy.

Forward air - This one is pretty similar to Ike’s forward air. Zegram performs a slow powerful overhead slash with two hands.

Up air - Zegram performs an arching overhead slash. This is a lot like Ike’s up air but with an additional fire element.

Down air - Zegram stabs his sword downward, which can spike.

Throws

Pummel - The standard knee strikes most characters have work well here.

Forward throw - This is a cargo throw similar to Donkey Kong. He lifts his opponent over his head with both hands and can move around with them before tossing them. This represents Rogue Galaxy’s toss mechanic.

Up throw - Zegram tosses his opponent upwards and follows up by tossing two shurikens at him or her.

Back throw - Zegram tosses his opponent backwards.

Down throw - Zegram slams his opponent into the ground then stabs them with his sword.

Final Smash

Gates of Hell – This is based on Zegram’s ultimate triple team attack from Rogue Galaxy which he performs with the protagonist, Jaster Rogue and one of their partners, Lilika. To initiate the attack, Zegram thrusts his sword in a sweeping motion and anyone caught in range is teleported to a cutscene. Here, Jaster carves a spell circle in the ground while Lilika uses it to summon a huge otherworldly gate from the ground. Zegram slices the gate open with his sword and releases a huge wave of cursed energy which deals massive damage to anyone caught in the initial activation.

Another option for Zegram’s final smash is Jaster’s triple tech, Supernova, that he performs with Zegram and Kisala. In this move, all three dash into the sky and form a giant laser beam with their swords that explodes the planet. Even though this isn’t Zegram’s move specifically, it does feature him as well as the main heroine, Kisala, rather than Lilika, who is more of a side character.

Taunts

Taunt 1 - Zegram points his sword forward and then makes the “bring it on” motion with his hand as he says “Come on, try me!”. This is he animation for his Parry skill.

Taunt 2 - Zegram takes a drink from his gourd, wipes his mouth, and hiccups. This is the animation from the first part of his Drunken Burst skill.

Taunt 3 - Zegram temporarily infuses his sword in flames as he says “This is gonna hurt!”. This is the animation from his Flame Sword skill with the quote from his Death Break skill.

Victory quotes

“Don’t ever try to show off in front of me you damn beast.”

“Huh, why did they even bother jumping us?”

“Let’s just leave it at that for now.”

“What a waste of time!”

“Was that it?”

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
So, who do you guys think will be the last two DLC characters for Smash Bros. Ultimate?

EDIT: 1500 pages!
Red or Purple.png

There they are. FP10 and 11. Both upgraded Assist Trophies that "can't be possible", both E3 worthy purely because of the idea that they are both popular characters that "can't happen" while also kinda fitting into second chance theory. People will be upset because they aren't such and such a character but hahaha I'll be a happy boy walking off to get some Burger King bought with Smashboards' money if I'm right hahahaha.

Watch Amy steal Shadow's spot haha

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
You know, I just realized. If Dixie makes it into one of the two final spots, I will not have a big reason to even get the next Smash, which will almost certainly downsize the roster, and cut favorites of mine like Pichu, Mewtwo, and Squirtle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom