• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twilord

Smash Ace
I would absolutely love Agumon.

His Down B should also kinda be like a mix of Pokemon Trainer and Melee Zelda/Sheik and Pyra/Mythra where he can digivolve into Greymon and MetalGreymon and then WarGreymon being his Final Smash.

Personally I kinda like the idea of giving him multiple Champions since the games tend to do a good job of representing the branching evolution aspect of Digimon, which the animes tended to struggle with a lot more due (I assume) to budget matters. You could totally set up Greymon, Tyranomon, Growlmon, GeoGreymon, and Coredramon to all fit as echoes of him, except being bigger. Sorta like reskinned Monado Arts but with a size increase (and maybe a different breath weapon). Coredramon being the weakest (besides Agumon), but giving a multi-jump.

Greymon - Agumon's traditional evolution
Geogreymon - a popular variant evolution for Agumon
Growlmon - probably the most popular champion Digimon in the Dragon's Roar family who doesn't have Greymon in their name
Tyranomon - the first Digimon ever designed and a rival to Greymon
Coredramon - we can't have this many Dragon's Roar Digimon in one group without having a single "dramon"; they're the Digimon equivalent to actual dragons. Coredramon are the in-lore prototypical dramon.

I picture having a Digivolution Gauge (or 'Memory Gauge', a sly reference to the new card game which can slide by as a reference to Cyber Sleuth) which fills while Agumon but drains while one of those forms.

When its empty you de-digivolve; BUT not to Agumon. Rather to the absolutely puny Koromon, the level below Agumon. This is a punish for not paying attention to your V-Pet's needs.

Essentially that would combine the two major genres that Digimon has made its home (V-Pets and Mon-RPGs) in a way which allows them to fit together neatly.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
Pic of the Day:

Splatoon turns 6 today!

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Ya know, even though I don't think it's likely at all to happen, I do wonder how much music Demi-Fiend would come with if he were selected.

Since like, 2 of his songs are pretty "yikes" territory for Smash standards. Smash has always been a bit awkward when it comes to religious stuff, so I do wonder how they'd handle two of the most iconic Nocturne songs having lyrics like "ONE MORE GOD REJECTED" or "WE SACRIFICED THE SON OF HEAVEN."

Makes me wonder if they'd just not include them at all, despite how iconic they are to Nocturne.
Shin Megami Tensei seems like a franchise they’d choose to put in the game. Don’t know much about it but it looks to me they’d have a lot of a characters to choose from. I’ve got an SMT character as my prediction for one of the last two.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Shin Megami Tensei seems like a franchise they’d choose to put in the game. Don’t know much about it but it looos to me they’d have a lot of a characters to choose from. I’ve got an SMT character as my prediction for one of the last two.
I don't know about that, as doing that would make it highly likely that the other remaining character is from SNK.

Twilord

Smash Ace
Would they really add Joker twice though? I guess they did add Dark Cloud.

(Note - I'm poking fun at myself, not at your pick.)

Last edited:

MaplePie

Smash Cadet
That's it, I'm sick of all y'alls "left field" predictions!

You all have slept on Umihara Kawase for too long!

That's...really cool. But why only 3?

If you do 3, you've done, like 90% of the work to do 1 and 2.

DQ will never be edgy, because it'll never NOT use the same monster designs it always uses.
Are you the guy that keeps shilling for Kawase on 4chan lol?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Yo, bro, when'd you get modded?

Grats bro.
Haha thanks man. It was a while ago.

I don't know about that, as doing that would make it highly likely that the other remaining character is from SNK.
Not necessarily. Namco still doesn’t have an additional character so there isn’t really a need to give everyone equal amounts. I just think they’d pick SMT because it’s a long running franchise and Nintendo gets some big games from it.

And besides, almost all of SNK’s big franchises got some form of representation via Terry.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Pic of the Day:

Splatoon turns 6 today!
I remember getting the game when I graduated from Sophomore year. Really good times for all.

And here's the thing; I only bought it for the Inkling Mii costumes! I was that sort of kid.

Twilord

Smash Ace
Ultimate ending with Agumon definitely would be a decent way to end its run. No complaints!
Picture it, Legendary Trainer is fighting the dark hoard of Smash Bros characters. A Dharkon clone of Mewtwo appears in front of him and evil Pokéballs steal his three Pokémon and Lucario and Pikachu.

A strange wind blows.

From the sky falls a strange device; which then floats up from the ground and hovers in front of him. This is the device.

Without a moment's hesitation he reaches out and grabs it. Agumon materialises and then we see clips of Agumon fighting (however his gimmick is interpreted) interspaced with him destroying the evil Pokéballs and posing with the freed Pokémon.

Then he Final Smash's Dharkon's Mewtwo.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Who gets chosen is upon to fate. Sakurai has his cards set, we are waiting for him to place the remaining ones down.

Of course, getting there is causing a show of sorts to watch as E3 approches to the 12 days once May is over.
View attachment 316855
I'm sorry, but the image of Girlfriend just shoveling popcorn into her mouth is more than worthy of a like. You earned it for making me giggle.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Who gets chosen is upon to fate. Sakurai has his cards set, we are waiting for him to place the remaining ones down.

Of course, getting there is causing a show of sorts to watch as E3 approches to the 12 days once May is over.
View attachment 316855
Plot twist: Nintendo somehow knew Friday Night Funkin would be popular, and Boyfriend is coming to Smash.

His Final Smash is summoning Tankman to roast the opponent so hard, they die instantly.

MaplePie

Smash Cadet
What are the first party options left for DLC? I can only think of Ayumi Tachibana or King Boo

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
What are the first party options left for DLC? I can only think of Ayumi Tachibana or King Boo
Ballot picks. I swear getting a Banjo (and not the "platformer furry" kind) is being slept on harder than the Princess sleeps on 20 mattresses covering a pea.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Castlevania was also stated to be picked due to the ballot iirc.

Which, as far as I remember, was never reflected on any fan polls.
It's kind of weird having Simon be seen as not a "Smash bubble" pick when I remember at least one guy in every /v/ Smash thread hoping for him.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What are the ballot picks?
Characters who placed well on the official Smash Ballot which was held six years ago. Some already got included, like Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo and Castlevania bois and several presumably became ATs because of it, like Isaac, Krystal, potentially Zero.

Castlevania was also stated to be picked due to the ballot iirc.

Which, as far as I remember, was never reflected on any fan polls.
Castlevania was picked due to the ballot but I don't think it was solely due to the ballot. Sakurai himself said he was looking for a third-party and there were limited options. Perhaps this is referencing third-parties' preference for backend on DLC versus the more difficultly negotiated base rate. Perhaps this was Konami just giving less of a **** than the other companies and therefore being easy to work with. We can only guess.

But it's true that Simon nor Alucard did ever top the polls. They did fine and all, but never would've outclassed the usual suspects.

Perhaps it's simply indicative of how flawed the fan polls were.
Perhaps. But on that massive aggregated exit poll, 13/15 highest placing characters wound up with some notable role in the game. And one of the two that didn't was Bandana Dee, who has that whole non-Sakurai Kirby thing going against him.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Well, The fighter ballot exit polls probably were not exactly, 100% reflective of what the actual Smash ballot results were. The exit polls were a pretty small number of the people that overall voted for the ballot. The amount of pople that voted in the exits polls was a 5-digit number IIRC, while the actual ballot was millions of votes.

That being said, considering the content we got in Smash ultimate, the exits polls weren't THAT far off from what I remember either. So I don't know if they can really just be entirely disregarded either.

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
Dang I really hope it happens. Agumon has been my most wanted since smash 4. If he ended the pass, I would have no problems with that at all.
One dumb idea I had recently - as a joke Sakurai does a fake out last character and it's Mametchi.

Her gimmick works in one of the large number of ways that would also be perfect for a Digimon, since Digivolution is inherited from Tamagotchi.

Then while discussing the influences on her design in brief he says: "We also took some inspiration from Tamagotchi's smash hit spin-off, Digimon. So much that Agumon will be a free Semi-Clone... should I have lead with that?"

Shadowvegeta

Smash Cadet
One dumb idea I had recently - as a joke Sakurai does a fake out last character and it's Mametchi.

Her gimmick works in one of the large number of ways that would also be perfect for a Digimon, since Digivolution is inherited from Tamagotchi.

Then while discussing the influences on her design in brief he says: "We also took some inspiration from Tamagotchi's smash hit spin-off, Digimon. So much that Agumon will be a free Semi-Clone... should I have lead with that?"
Not gonna lie, that would be hilarious.

Sephirothorsomethingidk

Smash Apprentice
Characters who placed well on the official Smash Ballot which was held six years ago. Some already got included, like Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo and Castlevania bois and several presumably became ATs because of it, like Isaac, Krystal, potentially Zero.

Castlevania was picked due to the ballot but I don't think it was solely due to the ballot. Sakurai himself said he was looking for a third-party and there were limited options. Perhaps this is referencing third-parties' preference for backend on DLC versus the more difficultly negotiated base rate. Perhaps this was Konami just giving less of a **** than the other companies and therefore being easy to work with. We can only guess.

But it's true that Simon nor Alucard did ever top the polls. They did fine and all, but never would've outclassed the usual suspects.

Perhaps. But on that massive aggregated exit poll, 13/15 highest placing characters wound up with some notable role in the game. And one of the two that didn't was Bandana Dee, who has that whole non-Sakurai Kirby thing going against him.
Dies that mean Lloyd got high on the official ballot if he was able to get a mii costume

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What poll is this, exactly?
I thought there weren't any official results released. Is there a link?

These aren't official results, they're results of many exit polls aggregated together.

Dies that mean Lloyd got high on the official ballot if he was able to get a mii costume
Possibly. Some of the Smash 4 DLC costumes were owing to popularity, but many weren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom