• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Are you the guy that keeps shilling for Kawase on 4chan lol?
Nope.

Give me an open world sonic game, im down for it 100%
Right...even though Sonic games are at their best when they're tightly constructed running courses and at their worst in open world segments...

I'm sure it'll be...great...

Sonic is all about movement, and giving him a proper sandbox to mess around in and explore is a nice idea on paper. The question is if Sonic Team can pull it off without compromising Sonic’s feel or proper level design.
They can not.

Assuming we get the Arceus Trainer then. What would his/her 3 Pokemon be?
Hopefully we never get another Trainer type. But if we did:
Cyndaquil, Dewott, Decidueye

Castlevania was also stated to be picked due to the ballot iirc.

Which, as far as I remember, was never reflected on any fan polls.
I voted for him.

And Sakurai knows 1 DEX vote = 1 million normal votes!

Shroob

Sup?
Ya know.

I have to wonder how Smash is being handled internally as opposed to literally everything else with Nintendo nowadays.

Obviously, they've cracked down hard on leaks yeah, but are they like, sending Smash stuff separate of their Direct news as well?

Like, look at PracticalBrush12 for a moment. The dude leaked literally everything in the last Direct, so it's obvious he has information, but when someone asked him about Smash, he made it clear he didn't have Smash news due to it being hard to get.

It kinda makes me laugh that a single DLC character is like, kept lock and key tight nowadays, while 99% of the rest of the stuff like make? Eh, **** it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ya know.

I have to wonder how Smash is being handled internally as opposed to literally everything else with Nintendo nowadays.

Obviously, they've cracked down hard on leaks yeah, but are they like, sending Smash stuff separate of their Direct news as well?

Like, look at PracticalBrush12 for a moment. The dude leaked literally everything in the last Direct, so it's obvious he has information, but when someone asked him about Smash, he made it clear he didn't have Smash news due to it being hard to get.

It kinda makes me laugh that a single DLC character is like, kept lock and key tight nowadays, while 99% of the rest of the stuff like make? Eh, **** it.
The funny thing is that we were told to ask Brush for Smash leaks. It's funny as Brush's leaks are primarily about Capcom whereas with Nintendo, as you said, he didn't know, implying the character may have leaked after all
68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f...gif

The costumes we got last time should tell me no but my heart says yes please

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

These aren't official results, they're results of many exit polls aggregated together.

Possibly. Some of the Smash 4 DLC costumes were owing to popularity, but many weren't.
I see.

So you mentioned 13/15 of the highest ranking characters got a notable role. I presume you mean Assist Trophy or Mii Costume by that?

King K. Rool
Isaac
Banjo Kazooie
Wolf
Snake
Inkling
Bandanna Dee
Shovel Knight
Paper Mario
Bayonetta
Shantae
Ice Climbers
Geno
Krystal
Ridley

I marked playable characters as green, ATs (that may or may not have Mii Costumes) as blue, Mii Costumes that don't have ATs as orange, and Spirits only as red.

I'm guessing Dee and Paper Mario are the 2 characters you said don't have a notable role in the game (compared to the rest), and Shantae is a special exception since she's 3rd Party even though she also only has a spirit?

Shroob

Sup?
The funny thing is that we were told to ask Brush for Smash leaks. It's funny as Brush's leaks are primarily about Capcom whereas with Nintendo, as you said, he didn't know, implying the character may have leaked after all
View attachment 316863
The costumes we got last time should tell me no but my heart says yes please
Wouldn't that be the opposite?

If Brush is a big Capcom leaker, wouldn't that give them privy info in regards to Capcom? From what it seems, Smash has had its info locked up tight, while literally everything else is tossed out as is.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I see.

So you mentioned 13/15 of the highest ranking characters got a notable role. I presume you mean Assist Trophy or Mii Costume by that?

King K. Rool
Isaac
Banjo Kazooie
Wolf
Snake
Inkling
Bandanna Dee
Shovel Knight
Paper Mario
Bayonetta
Shantae
Ice Climbers
Geno
Krystal
Ridley

I marked playable characters as green, ATs (that may or may not have Mii Costumes) as blue, Mii Costumes that don't have ATs as orange, and Spirits only as red.

I'm guessing Dee and Paper Mario are the 2 characters you said don't have a notable role in the game (compared to the rest), and Shantae is a special exception since she's 3rd Party even though she also only has a spirit?
yep

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Wouldn't that be the opposite?

If Brush is a big Capcom leaker, wouldn't that give them privy info in regards to Capcom? From what it seems, Smash has had its info locked up tight, while literally everything else is tossed out as is.
That's what I mean, if Brush has Capcom info and knows about Smash, then we may get a Capcom character

Shroob

Sup?
That's what I mean, if Brush has Capcom info and knows about Smash, then we may get a Capcom character
Except.... they don't?

Brush said Smash info is hard to get, they didn't leak Pyra/Mythra, and as far as I remember, the only thing they leaked IRT Smash was Steve, something ZhungeEX did as well, meaning the info was out there.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
Have Pokémon and Digimon ever appeared together, in any way? Like even a commercial or something?

Sakurai has said before that Gamefreak is a GIANT pain in the butt to work with, and are very picky about their characters. That leaves me with two thoughts/questions:

1. Would sakurai really want to devote that time and energy to another Pokémon Trainer? It'd be essentially a 3 for 1 and I don't see them putting that much effort into "one" DLC

2. Would anyone really put it past Gamefreak to forbid Pokémon and Digimon from crossing over in any fashion? I was never into Digimon as a kid, no one I knew really was (Pokémon ruled the playground) so I don't have much recollection of anything about them, but I'm having a hard time even finding like, old kids channel commercials with the two together.

Stratos

Smash Ace
The Professor Layton series has only existed on Nintendo, although it does not belong to it. But that entitles Professor Hershel Layton to come as a newcomer.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
He's also leaked Byleth along with Steve, and these characters have nothing to do with Capcom.

Shroob

Sup?
He's also leaked Byleth along with Steve, and these characters have nothing to do with Capcom.
I don't recall PBrush leaking Byleth, granted, I also only learned of them around Steve's reveal, so that's in part due to my own lack of research.

Twilord

Smash Ace
Have Pokémon and Digimon ever appeared together, in any way? Like even a commercial or something?

Sakurai has said before that Gamefreak is a GIANT pain in the butt to work with, and are very picky about their characters. That leaves me with two thoughts/questions:

1. Would sakurai really want to devote that time and energy to another Pokémon Trainer? It'd be essentially a 3 for 1 and I don't see them putting that much effort into "one" DLC

2. Would anyone really put it past Gamefreak to forbid Pokémon and Digimon from crossing over in any fashion? I was never into Digimon as a kid, no one I knew really was (Pokémon ruled the playground) so I don't have much recollection of anything about them, but I'm having a hard time even finding like, old kids channel commercials with the two together.

Honestly the closest thing to the two crossing over is the Digimon references Bandai Namco snuck into New Pokémon Snap.

I won't share spoilers but let's just say that their choice of legendary and its role in the story was super suspicious to anyone who knows Digimon lore, and the real life mythology connection there.

Also the only time a Pokémon Professor was inexplicably wearing goggles is in the game Bandai Namco made. Goggles are such a Digimon staple that fans wouldn't question it being the franchise logo for Smash Bros.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

I mean. Digimon's well past it's hay day constantly chasing the good old days by rehashing the OG anime constantly whereas Pokemon is the best selling multimedia franchise on the planet. If they were still scared of Digimon then that'd be like being terrified at SMT existing

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
King K. Rool
Isaac
Banjo Kazooie
Wolf
Snake
Inkling
Bandanna Dee
Shovel Knight
Paper Mario
Bayonetta
Shantae
Ice Climbers
Geno
Krystal
Ridley
oh wow, i'd never seen the results outlined like this before! i didn't realize krystal rated so highly, if people keep making noise about her between now and the next game maybe she'll get that promotion. either way, at least all my current favorites feel like safe bets to return - two of em are on this list, two of em are popular pokemon that also came back thanks to fan demand, and the last two are staple characters from the original 8 so they're obviously not going anywhere. reading this makes me hopeful for future installments.

Twilord

Smash Ace
I mean. Digimon's well past it's hay day constantly chasing the good old days by rehashing the OG anime constantly whereas Pokemon is the best selling multimedia franchise on the planet. If they were still scared of Digimon then that'd be like being terrified at SMT existing
The game side of things is going decently well for them to be fair, and that new card game is booming. Bandai Namco seem to have copped on and realised the franchise can do well if they give it good material to work with.

The only issue is Toei don't seem to grasp that anymore which is a shame.

Admittedly it's a bit weird that the old trope of Digimon having the better anime and Pokémon the better games is backwards at the moment.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Brush only reports when the show is imminent anyway, so they're not that useful in the first place.

Shroob

Sup?
Brush only reports when the show is imminent anyway, so they're not that useful in the first place.
Granted, lately so does everyone.

When was the last time we had a big, wide open leak that came out days in advance? Terry? Min Min maybe I guess.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
All the best 3D sonic stages were big open stages with multiple pathways ( Speed Highway , Red Mountain, Final Rush, Seaside Hill(Generations), Rooftop Run) imo
None of those are "open world". Multiple pathways and no roof is not open world.

The terrible hub city in Sonic 06 is open world.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
None of those are "open world". Multiple pathways and no roof is not open world.

The terrible hub city in Sonic 06 is open world.
Im not saying those examples were open world, im saying that big open areas with multiple pathways works well with 3D sonic.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The game side of things is going decently well for them to be fair, and that new card game is booming. Bandai Namco seem to have copped on and realised the franchise can do well if they give it good material to work with.

The only issue is Toei don't seem to grasp that anymore which is a shame.

Admittedly it's a bit weird that the old trope of Digimon having the better anime and Pokémon the better games is backwards at the moment.
Yeah but not nearly well enough to be considered a threat by Pokemon, which is my point. Also, quick question
I won't share spoilers but let's just say that their choice of legendary and its role in the story was super suspicious to anyone who knows Digimon lore, and the real life mythology connection there.
Can you elaborate on this in a spoiler tag? I'm curious as hell

Twilord

Smash Ace
The closest an open world Sonic level gets to really working is, Ironically, in Shadow The Hedgehog

The only thing that game had more of than great ideas was cartoonish edge; unfortunately a the few bad ideas it had were overpowering.

Been modding it lately; unbelievably the game's code has behaviour in it which only makes sense if the "kill X many" nonsense was originally going to be SA1 Gamma style timer missions.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Granted, lately so does everyone.

When was the last time we had a big, wide open leak that came out days in advance? Terry? Min Min maybe I guess.
I would say the same about similar leakers as well. If you're going to report the day or two beforehand, just let people have it. Even more so when you pop in like 30 mins before the presentation.

Twilord

Smash Ace
Yeah but not nearly well enough to be considered a threat by Pokemon, which is my point. Also, quick question
Can you elaborate on this in a spoiler tag? I'm curious as hell

Mythologically speaking... Xerneas IS Yggdrasil. Tree of Life, World Tree, World Server... it's all the same Norse myth. They took the Yggdrasil Pokémon and gave them their own Royal Knights.

Shroob

Sup?
I would say the same about similar leakers as well. If you're going to report the day or two beforehand, just let people have it. Even more so when you pop in like 30 mins before the presentation.
That's been my stance lately as well, at least, in regard to day before leaks.

Granted, it may be hypocritical for me to enjoy leaks that are like, a month/several weeks in advance and I acknowledge that, but people who leak stuff like, a day/several minutes before.... really? At that point, is the clout really worth it.

Twilord

Smash Ace
I think that's a stretch as it's a pretty common tale to use for inspirations I'm afraid
It's not that the two happen to exist and share that root, it's that Bandai Namco (who must have known that) chose that legendary in particular. There is another Legendary who could easily have represented the same stuff without that connection.

Ho-Oh would make equally good sense for the rainbow and life-force symbolism. They even have a history of empowering other Pokémon. - Whether or not it's deliberate Bandai Namco chose the one who had that pre-existing mythological connection out of every Legendary Pokémon.

One of two things happened; either they essentially completely forgot that Yggdrasil is one of the most important characters in their own Mon Games, and chose the matching Legendary Pokémon out of the fifty nine at random, before giving them their own version of the Royal Knights and not one person caught it...

Or it was a silly Easter Egg on purpose.

It's faaar more of a stretch for me to expand that and argue that they included an Armour Evolution (Steelix/Magnamon), two acting as one (Volcarona/Omnimon - a Digi-Fuse), a true combination (Wishiwashi/Examon - a Jogress), and the fully evolved version of the third season's first revealed starter/partner (Meganium/Gallantmon).

Last edited:

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
I'm not saying it's totally logical, it just seems like the kind of thing they'd do.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'm not saying it's totally logical, it just seems like the kind of thing they'd do.
If that's the case, wouldn't they also want to ban Pokemon crossing over with something that crossed over with Yokai Watch? That being FF7? I'm also not sure if there's any legal grounds to say "We forbid you from letting an IP you partially own cross over with this IP", not like TPC can remove Nintendo's ownership if Sakurai wants Digimon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom