• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Y'know, I've kinda been drifting away from writing big writeups. I've been meaning to do this one for a while; Better late than never, I suppose.

For this, I'll be covering Ryza, titular protagonist of Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness and the Secret Hideout, and it's sequel, Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends and the Secret Fairy. Unfortunately, I've only played the first AR, so my essay will have to be limited to that. And yeah, I know she's deconfirmed, but screw it. This is for fun more than anything.

Atelier is pretty simple to explain. It's a JRPG, but instead of heroic swordsmen with crazy hairdos that exist to spite gravity and ancient gods that threaten the safety of the world, it's cute, cozy little experiences focused on personal plotlines. The gameplay's main selling point is the alchemy, where you can go out and collect stuff, then use that stuff in synthesis to create items to help you in battle. The older games used to have a time limit, but recent installments do away with that in favor of a more open world where you can explore at your own pace. The games have never made massive numbers, but aside from the couple years between the second and third games, Gust has been making games every year, plus a sizeable amount of spinoffs. For reference:

Atelier Ryza focuses on the titular Reisalin "Ryza" Stout, a girl growing up on Kurken Island. Kurken is a pretty small island, and she's at that age where she wants to go out and explore rather than remain stuck on the island, even if all the adults tell her "no." She discovers her true calling when she and her friends go to the mainland and are saved by a traveling duo, one of which is an alchemist himself. He takes her under her wing, and it's not long before she surpasses him. There's a bit more plot in there, and it's a bit darker than the standard Atelier fare, but it's not a really shocking or high-stakes one. The bulk of the game is Ryza going around the island and nearby land and using the stuff she finds to synthesize stuff.

Unlike past Atelier games, which operate on a turn-based system, Atelier Ryza shifts to a semi-real-time combat system where each combatant has a cooldown system, and everyone acts on their own instead of waiting for the turn to end. Your allies and enemies act independently, while you choose your next move. Aside from the items, there's also the Action Points, or AP, which can be spent to use skills. Alternatively, you can go to the next level when the gauge fills up, increasing the effects of the normal attacks and skills.

And now, for the moveset potential. Ryza's kit would mostly be her various gathering tools, I think. Her staff that she uses in combat is the default, but there's a couple other stuff she could use.
  • Scythe - A tool for precise cuts and slicing off delicate items that other tools would smash
  • Axe - A heavier tool for tougher items
  • Bug Net - For catching... Y'know, bugs
  • Fishing Rod - Ditto, but for aquatic creatures
  • Bug Net - For catching... Y'know, bugs
  • Hammer - For when the hammer won't cut it and you need to get what's inside the rocks
  • Bomb Rod - Explosives
  • Wind Shoes - Rather than a tool for gathering, the Wind Shoes let Ryza skip across rocks and fly up using patches of wind
It should also be noted that due to the limited carrying space, the game lets you merge tools together, effectively getting the same haul you'd get for using both tools on an item in one swing. Specifically, you can the Scythe's attributes to the Axe, the Fishing Rod's effects to the Bug Net, and the Bomb Rod's explosives to the hammer.

Aside from that, there's the synthesis. You may think, "Didn't Steve take that?", but I think it would also incorporate elements of Hero's MP Gauge and Command List too. Ryza would be able to gather materials and use them at her Cauldron, where she can craft various items that would probably work like an actual throwable item. We could have her just use Smash's items, but if we want to adhere to the source material, here's some examples:
  • Bomb - More or less a stick of dynamite
  • Ice Caltrops - Would cover the ground and bring pain to those that step on them
  • Poison Gas - Probably something like Piranha Plant's side special
  • Thorny Embrace - Something to keep opponents trapped
  • Lightning Bell - An electric projectile, basically
Those are just some of the things you can craft in Atelier Ryza. Anyways, that about wraps it up. Hope I piqued your interest.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Don't you mean Sona? She's the one who sings and plays music.
One of Ahri's skins is an AU where's she's part of a musical group. Said music group also had a music video that actually went viral - As in, in real life, not just in universe. Or at least, that's what I'm told.

Also note that LoL skins are pretty much universes of their own, rather than a quick palette swap.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
So do these Spirit Board Events (not talking about newly made DLC Spirits for Spirit Board Events, but the reusing/theming of base game Spirits), as well as Themed Tourneys, mean anything for deconfirming characters?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
So do these Spirit Board Events (not talking about newly made DLC Spirits for Spirit Board Events, but the reusing/theming of base game Spirits), as well as Themed Tourneys, mean anything for deconfirming characters?
The only times a generic spirit event could mean a deconfirm was as follows:
1. Video Game Heroine spirit event had Peachette
2. Link's Awakening spirit event to celebrate the 2019 title had spirits of the Owl and Link from the remake
3. A event for spirits with a black motif had Lotus from Warframe, which is enhanceable into Natah. The last one is most notable as it occurred during the Pass 2 development. The other two were between Joker and Hero.

That said, generic events/tourneys almost never deconfirm a character.

Pillow

Smash Lord
One of Ahri's skins is an AU where's she's part of a musical group. Said music group also had a music video that actually went viral - As in, in real life, not just in universe. Or at least, that's what I'm told.

Also note that LoL skins are pretty much universes of their own, rather than a quick palette swap.
POP/STARS was the video in case people didn't know. But even if Ahri was one of the final 2 picks, I doubt she'd come with skins beyond the standard color swap affair. League skins tend to be kind of "messy" in terms of portraying the characters in a consistent manner.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Next spirit event is themed after singers and dancers.
DDR Deconfirmed :104:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Next spirit event is themed after singers and dancers.
Wow, Idolmaster was the second Namco series to be added all along.

kylexv

Smash Master
Pic of the Day:

The Tower of Druaga turns 37 today.

EDIT: Sakurai clarifies that May 5th, 1984 is when the location tests for this game started in Japanese arcades. He also comments that the game help kickstart the popularity of strategy guides.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Pic of the Day:

The Tower of Druaga turns 37 today.

EDIT: Sakurai clarifies that May 5th, 1984 is when the location tests for this game started in Japanese arcades. He also comments that the game help kickstart the popularity of strategy guides.
How fitting given the timing of Sony's patent for the live strategy guide lol.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
We had a lightweight tournament right before Sephiroth was revealed, and Sephiroth is just as light as Kirby. Likewise, we had two Spirit Events in 2020 (long haired and sleeveless characters) that featured Mythra as one of the most prominent Spirits.

I don't think many people genuinely believe a singing and/or dancing character is deconfirmed, but even if there were, past Spirit Events suggest that the team making these things really don't care if the event is related to an upcoming character.

Last edited:

PacificFun

Smash Ace
Here's my one hope for CP10 and CP11: Can we get someone with no prominent disjoint?

Outside of Terry (and Joker depending on how you look at it), EVERY single DLC character uses a disjoint for majority of their moveset.

Its getting a little tiresome.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I know I'm late to discussion about hatred toward Fortnite.

It's because Fortnite kids are infamous for disrespecting series that each skin came from.
Those kids were serious that Starwars stole Stormtrooper from Fortnite.
You can see why people wouldn't view Fortnite in positive light.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord

It's because Fortnite kids are infamous for disrespecting series that each skin came from.
Even before the collaboration skins everyone has already distrust Fortnite, now it amplified, idk if this is affecting the Marvel fans since the MCU keep them afloat but god, I felt sorry for X-Men.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

I have never once seen that seriously, and I've seen the dregs of that side of the internet.

I have only ever seen that made up as a joke or to insult children.

If that does exist, They are still kids, They are still growing up and learning.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Idk I feel that if you're this upset about literal children then that's not on the game or the kids but on the people hating the game because children are enjoying themselves. It's not like we all had objectively correct takes on everything as kids either

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace

Yeah that's not true.

Ivander

Smash Legend

Don't know about any other kids, but the one I remember was the one that thought Borderlands copied Fortnite and good frickin' lord........listening to that was like taking a spiked gauntlet with tiny sharp fingertips, but alot of other spikes reaching beside them and scratching and brushing it against a chalkboard. And that is probably more preferable.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What the hell is YIIK

Why does everyone know about it except for me what did I miss
A crap game with a painfully unlikable protag, creepy ass implications, a poorly done Iwata tribute which made it look like it was mocking Iwata and the dev melting down and screaming that he was wrong to assume games are art because people hated the protag and how that meant unlikeable protags can't work despite proof of the contrary

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Nah, you clearly mean Sora :4pacman:
Again... DISNEY.

But anyways, if Capcom DOES end up getting a rep in for DLC, it's gotta be a character from one of their older games or one of their popular characters. And I'm talking about characters like Sakura (the #1 most popular Street Fighter character of all time, no I'm not joking), Makoto (who's the second most popular Street Fighter character and has appeared in only 3 GAMES), Lilith, which is basically a version of Morrigan that came out of left field, Kenji or Strider Hiryu, who are literal NINJAS and since Zeku is pretty much the first Strider, which makes the Strider Hiryu series canon to Street Fighter it makes sense, and I could go ON and ON about many other characters Capcom has left in the dust or is one of their most popular characters.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I mean, when you're litterally one of the biggest games on the planet, there's bound to be at least a couple fans who take things a bit too far.

Anyways, if this is anything like other notable gaming fads, Im sure the perception of Fortnite and it's fanbase will mellow a bit over the years. This seems to be a bit of a cycle. The likes of Minecraft, Undertale, and even Pokemon used to have the same reputation but they've seem to have come into their own.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Again... DISNEY.

But anyways, if Capcom DOES end up getting a rep in for DLC, it's gotta be a character from one of their older games or one of their popular characters. And I'm talking about characters like Sakura (the #1 most popular Street Fighter character of all time, no I'm not joking), Makoto (who's the second most popular Street Fighter character and has appeared in only 3 GAMES), Lilith, which is basically a version of Morrigan that came out of left field, Kenji or Strider Hiryu, who are literal NINJAS and since Zeku is pretty much the first Strider, which makes the Strider Hiryu series canon to Street Fighter it makes sense, and I could go ON and ON about many other characters Capcom has left in the dust or is one of their most popular characters.
There's a lot of confusing stuff about this post.

First off, Sakurai has explicitly stated in the Terry presentation that popularity isn't everything when choosing a character, so using that Street Fighter pool from 2017 not only has a chance of being outdated due to more characters showing up or being fleshed out from then to mid-2019 (the speculated time Pass 2's lineup was finished), but would also completely contradict Sakurai's own philosophies.

Granted, he's not the one choosing the characters, but it's still a point that works because Nintendo chose Terry over... well, any fighting game more popular than SNK's stuff. They also chose Banjo, who is nowhere near as popular as he was in the late 90s, over Crash, another 3D platforming icon who had a recent resurgence at the time with the N. Sane trilogy. Popularity isn't everything, something both Sakurai and Nintendo consider with their picks.

Second, putting literally any Street Fighter female before Chun-Li. Even if she's not the most popular, Chun-Li is one of the most iconic SF characters of all time, so it would be way too strange to skip her entirely.

Third, Lilith before Morrigan. Lilith before Morrigan "I show up in every Capcom crossover" Aensland. I.... I really don't know how to take this.

Kenji and Strider Hiryu......because Strider is canon to SF? What kind of logic is that? That's essentially implying Strider doesn't have enough merits on its own to be in Smash and NEEDS ther SF connection to be considered, which completely contradicts your point.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
For Nintendo dropping news, I can say that either 2nd or 3rd week of May. If not, then the last week of May to prepare for E3's arrival on June 12th.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
For Nintendo dropping news, I can say that either 2nd or 3rd week of May. If not, then the last week of May to prepare for E3's arrival on June 12th.
They are supposed to release the sales info for last fiscal year literally tomorrow... and, according to ZhugeEX, there’s supposed to be “a lot of gaming news this week”. I imagine Nintendo will partake of that

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom