• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
What would be some of the overly negative ones?
It'd have to be indies that are infamous for low quality... And with that reputation, it's unlikely they'd get high enough to be on Nintendo's radar in the first place. Stuff like Mighty No. 9 and YIIK (Which, fun fact, was supposed to be pronounced "Y2K" but ended up officially becoming "Yeek").

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It'd have to be indies that are infamous for low quality... And with that reputation, it's unlikely they'd get high enough to be on Nintendo's radar in the first place. Stuff like Mighty No. 9 and YIIK (Which, fun fact, was supposed to be pronounced "Y2K" but ended up officially becoming "Yeek").
YIIK would be an interesting choice in that so many would be united in their utter disdain for a character from that perceived trash fire getting in. In all likelihood, it would amount to the kind of genuinely moving display of shared sentiment in mutual hatred for one figure from a usually divided community not typically seen outside a Sonic forum talking about Ken Penders.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Fun fact about Yikes: Toby Fox made a track for the game, and to show suport to the creator, he tweeted about it and said that he was exicted to play it when the game comes out.

He deleted the tweet the day the game came out.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
YIIK would be an interesting choice in that so many would be united in their utter disdain for a character from that perceived trash fire getting in. In all likelihood, it would amount to the kind of genuinely moving display of shared sentiment in mutual hatred for one figure from a usually dived community not typically seen outside a Sonic forum talking about Ken Penders.
Like that one Tweet that tried to imply that no fictional character had been through more suffering than Ellie from The Last of Us?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Okay, I think with YIIK, we've found the one thing that will be truly hated by the majority, and transcend mere divisiveness.
I mean the game also literally made light of the death of Elisa Lam, who was suffering from mental illness soooooooo

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Most Miis don't come with music tracks because it's probably much much cheaper to license indie game music than the alternative, and the budget isn't there for those kind of extras.
Really makes me hope that sometime in the distant future we'll see more substantial Undertale content, since I'm sure it couldn't be so hard to get more of those tracks / some spirit representation at the very least. I'd kill to get a Death by Glamour remix.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I think the only one it would have to be to not be inundated with as much backlash is Lyn. And even then she'll still get it pretty bad, just not nearly as bad as any other FE character. Even the ones that don't primarily use swords.

And I don't even know who Reginn is. I'm speaking about FE characters that are actually plausible additions were we to get another.
I think that, in addition to Lyn, there's one other FE character who would have a somewhat OK response: the Black Knight from the Tellius games. He's a villain, he wouldn't be promotional, he has a decent chance to not be Completely Despised.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Fun fact about Yikes: Toby Fox made a track for the game, and to show suport to the creator, he tweeted about it and said that he was exicted to play it when the game comes out.

He deleted the tweet the day the game came out.
Oh wow, I need to hear a rundown for why this game is such a dumpster fire. Never heard of it until right now. Was it just really bad and broken or did it do something else despicable for something like that to happen?

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Oh wow, I need to hear a rundown for why this game is such a dumpster fire. Never heard of it until right now. Was it just really bad and broken or did it do something else despicable for something like that to happen?
To keep a very long story short.

Creator is a jerk, The gameplay is a mess, The story is not only convoluted but also directly references a real life murder with no tact and essentially fetishizes it.

I think I got the main points, obviously i'm missing some details.

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Really makes me hope that sometime in the distant future we'll see more substantial Undertale content, since I'm sure it couldn't be so hard to get more of those tracks / some spirit representation at the very least. I'd kill to get a Death by Glamour remix.
It remains to be seen what will come of Undertale's mindshare when the game is a decade or more removed from its release, and resulting peak of relevance and popularity. If the popularity and attention endure I suspect it will continue to get some sort of content in the next Smash, but it's a situation that we really have to see unfold should it receive no actual sequels.

I think that, in addition to Lyn, there's one other FE character who would have a somewhat OK response: the Black Knight from the Tellius games. He's a villain, he wouldn't be promotional, he has a decent chance to not be Completely Despised.
Well the thing that would elevate Lyn's reception would be her popularity. Ironically Black Knight would probably be criticized less for being anime because he's completely armoured, but I don't think people would take kindly to a FE character no one really asked for.

Getting first-parties that people don't ask for is already tenuous enough without them also being from FE.

Hmm.....

The git gud hotline

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

Creator is a jerk, The gameplay is a mess, The story is not only convoluted but also directly references a real life murder with no tact and essentially fetishizes it.

You know the self indulgent, pretentious, and faux meaningful nature that many people often mistakenly think a lot of indie games have?

YIIK is all that and worse.

Technomage

Smash Champion

Interesting; I've now been inspired to learn more about that garbage.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Hmm.....

Imagine being a casual player loading up Darker Souls IV: Yeah You're Definitely Going To Die Edition, getting stuck on Facerender the Nob Destructor aka the unskippable boss of the tutorial area, spending hours trying to get help from an "expert" player on the Stationline, and then when you finally get one and tell them that you're stuck on the tutorial boss, the only answer you get is a "git gud u filthy casul."

And the player hangs up before you can even reply.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Bro just look up a walkthrough lmao
Coincidentally, the ability to look up a walkthrough, is the reason why the original Nintendo Power hotline was shut down to begin with.
I get the impression that it's mainly aimed towards multiplayer games like your CoD, Fortnite, EA Sports' online modes etc. Games where walkthroughs are not really applicable and guides are instead general to the most common situations. Also games - like Smash - where a lot of players default to a certain playstyle no matter what and make common mistakes like hard-commiting to a certain option by default or not taking more subtle aspects of the game into account.

You know the self indulgent, pretentious, and faux meaningful nature that many people often mistakenly think a lot of indie games have?

YIIK is all that and worse.
That sounds like a future "What Happened?"... but given that the background sounds pretty horrible, yeah it's making me uneasy.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I get the impression that it's mainly aimed towards multiplayer games like your CoD, Fortnite, EA Sports' online modes etc. Games where walkthroughs are not really applicable and guides are instead general to the most common situations. Also games - like Smash - where a lot of players default to a certain playstyle no matter what and make common mistakes like hard-commiting to a certain option by default or not taking more subtle aspects of the game into account.

That sounds like a future "What Happened?"... but given all that has been talked about, it's making me uneasy about what such an episode would talk about.
Oh, so like Gamer Sensei?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Guys I think I have found leaked footage of one of the victory screens for our next fighter

That’s pretty cool. I’d totally be down for Sol. It makes me wish that was at least a mod.

I haven’t played much Guilty Gear and I’ve never played Blazblue but I think they both have some cool character designs and great soundtracks. I’d love to see either Hakumen or Susanoo from Blazblue going by their design alone. Both of those characters look awesome.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Well, we ARE lacking in playable whales...
This is how Bubble Bobble wins...
1620176184095.png

I do wonder whether or not Reimu would actually be a Premium Mii, or just a regular old Mii. General agreement is that PreMiiums cover the entire body and actually look like the character; The likes of Black Knight and Creeper don't count because even though they hide the Mii, you can still easily tell it's a Mii because of the proportions. I feel like Reimu would just be a regular Mii, with a wig and a costume.
But...can you have a non-premium mii with a music track? Cause you can't do a Touhou mii without a song!

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master

Next spirit event is themed after singers and dancers.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Am I allowed to make a Masked Singer joke?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

:azura: isn't even featured on this header
Okay, I know "singers and dancers" is a broad term, but it felt like such a n

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

[Spirit event] "Sing, dance and liven up!" Will be held for 3 days from 5/7 (Friday)! During the period, characters who are good at singing and dancing will appear on the spirits board. If you win the battle, you can get additional snacks. #Smash Bros SP

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

No squid sisters?

also this clearly means our next fighter is Ahri with K/DA alts :4pacman: SKX31 SKX31 3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus

inb4 this actually happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom