• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Quote, Reimu, Shovel Knight, Shantae, the Knight, Cadence

I don't think Nintendo would be keen on a character whose most iconic attack (aside from his basic attack) is a laser made of blood. Or the possibility of having to add a spirit based on Satan.
though i wish they were okay with these i'd love isaac
Did somebody miss that Cuphead spirit event?

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
If Shadow ever gets into Smash, I would love it if he has a Magic Burst-esque Chaos Blast. I like to imagine ending stun combos with it.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I'll just embed the full tweet here.

2000 Today, "The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask" is on sale !! It was an era when I didn't see many words like "time leap". It feels like you're doing a spectacular spoiler in the picture, but don't worry. #Smash Bros SP

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Ys IX: Monstrum Nox now has a release date for Switch and PC; June 6th. If you haven't tried out the series yet, I implore you to do so before IX releases. It's arguably the most continuity-heavy game in the series, and you're expected to understand what happened in at least Ys I, II, and VIII. Best get into the series now while you have enough time.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Young Link in general is a missed opportunity. Even if he had to retain his base as Link's clone they could've done more to separate him from both Link and Toon Link, especially since the latter exists under a similar concept. Yet they kept him almost completely the same from Melee outside of the necessary additions needed for the jump between games. Even Toon Link got something new in his Forward Smash, so it's weird that for a comeback Young Link is virtually untouched even in terms of picking up more MM references.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Young Link in general is a missed opportunity. Even if he had to retain his base as Link's clone they could've done more to separate him from both Link and Toon Link, especially since the latter exists under a similar concept. Yet they kept him almost completely the same from Melee outside of the necessary additions needed for the jump between games. Even Toon Link got something new in his Forward Smash, so it's weird that for a comeback Young Link is virtually untouched even in terms of picking up more MM references.
It's probably because the other 2 Links got changes that they decided to keep Young Link relatively safe and familiar.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

1997 "Star Fox 64" released today !!
The second movie of "Star Fox", the appearance of Great Fox and Star Wolf is here.
With 3D sticks and Rumble Pak support, I enjoyed high-quality shooting. #Smash Bros SP

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I feel like Sakurai is afraid to do anything drastic to existing characters just because it might upset fans.

Sometimes it works out well. Other times... Well, other times we're left with three Links who fight very similarly to each other despite all three being from three different decades. There's a treasure trove of moveset potential, but unfortunately Link #2 and Link #3 exist because they were easy clones.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'll continue to defend the bulk of Kirby's moveset. What he really needs is an aerial speed buff, and for them to finally give him his slide (still a baffling exclusion, and would really do wonders for his already strong momentum-based combo potential), but otherwise Kirby's moveset being simple makes perfect sense. Not to mention a significant chunk of that moveset is based off of the two biggest no-brainer copy abilities to implement into Smash - Fighter and Suplex. I rarely hear anyone acknowledge that for some reason.

I don't think giving Kirby a whole bunch of random copy abilities to use where he ends up a jack of all trades like Game & Watch / Villager is a good idea at all (which is what I assume most people want from a redesign / overhaul). Kirby is, by design, barebones without his copy ability and gets his flashiest moves when he sucks someone up. His moveset is fun as is and already implements a good amount of attacks from the games without feeling overbearing or silly - just fix Kirby's movement and we're good.

As far as 64 vets go, I personally think Samus is in much more dire condition. Would be nice to give her a more versatile blaster that can shoot both rapidfire short shots and charged shots (maybe short shots like Mega Man and Charge Shot can stay Neutral Special), and she should really be able to roll around as a morph ball. Just for starters - honestly, taking some inspiration from Mii Gunner would be nice too. Genuinely a much cooler moveset for an archetype that Samus should really own up to harder.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I agree that a lot of the characters in the second-to-last tier don't have movesets very reflective of their character. However, in my experience (which is doing a full Ganondorf rework and thinking up concepts for a reworked Little Mac), some major overarching changes can make the moveset more accurate while letting you keep more than you'd think.

For instance: when I did Ganondorf, I gave him two swords like in Wind Waker (and like Ganon from Ocarina of Time), as well as a trident used for particular attacks. While you definitely could just chuck the old moveset, I actually looked at it more like Bowser's animation change from Brawl to Smash 4. For most moves, his swords would hit at the same angles and covering the same areas as before, but have obviously been buffed in range. Some of his moves, namely his smash attacks, are basically entirely new, but not more than some other characters have gotten.
Then, I made his neutral special Dead Man's Volley, but imagined it as sort of a projectile Warlock Punch that could be reflected - but not from point-blank range. Effectively, this builds another move on top of Warlock Punch instead of replacing it.
While I changed his up-B into a ALttP-inspired trident toss teleport, his side-B remained the same and his down-B was "replaced" (but was basically the same move with a trident).
Oh, and while this isn't that important, I also wanted to maintain his "King of Disrespect" title, so I looked for new ways to add to that reputation. In the end, I made his down-air a magical palm strike that, if it spikes, gets the pause and crazy electric effects of his old up-B. Also, I gave him a damaging taunt - a dismissive wave of the hand that references that vicious backhand he does during Wind Waker.
Overall, while obviously you can't play as this version of the character, I feel like if you could it would manage to simultaneously still feel like Smash Ganon while being far more based on the source material. And no Falcon animations remain at all!

Now, Little Mac has basically the opposite problem. His animations are fine. They're boxer stuff because he's a boxer. That makes sense to me. Rather, while I gave Ganon's playstyle a new set of sword-based animations to work with; I think I would need to give Mac's animations a new playstyle to work with. I haven't thought this one through nearly as much, but we should definitely ditch the "ground character" idea and the super armor. Mac should be weaving around enemy attacks and punishing them when they miss, not armoring through it and getting lamed out. Ditch the K.O. meter and instead give him the Star Punch, which rewards him for hitting opponents in windup or endlag. Buff his movement and frame data.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
we should definitely ditch the "ground character" idea and the super armor. Mac should be weaving around enemy attacks and punishing them when they miss, not armoring through it and getting lamed out. Ditch the K.O. meter and instead give him the Star Punch, which rewards him for hitting opponents in windup or endlag.
Couldn’t have said it better myself. That’s exactly what Mac should have been. The problem, aside from the obvious unnecessary polarizing gimmick, is that Mac simply doesn’t feel like a proper implementation of the core ideas behind Punch-Out into Smash.

KO Punch is okay (although Star Punch is better) but yeah please reward Mac for punishing rather than taking hits.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, I don't like Shulk's moveset at all.

He fights really awkwardly with it, putting his sword away before and after every single swing with it and he lacks all of his real Monado Art attacks like Cyclone, Purge, and especially Buster.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
This is peak Majora's Mask Link

As he is in-game he's really just more Ocarina of Time content
Pretty much, and lets be honest, Young Link with a Majora's Mask design would just make more sense since thats the game where Young Link actually uses the Bow, Fire Arrow, Hookshot, has a Fire Proof Shield, etc. It would also allow for more entry representation in general that way since then we'd have..
:ultlink: - Breath of the Wild
:ultzelda: - Mixture of A Link to the Past & A Link Between Worlds
:ultsheik: - Mixture of Smash 'Twilight Princess' design and the Sheikah Armor from Breath of the Wild
:ultganondorf: - Ocarina of Time
:ultyounglink: - Majora's Mask
:ulttoonlink: - Wind Waker

Honestly, had Sheik kept her design from the previous two games, they would each be representing different entries had Young Link been based on his Majora's Mask appearance.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Well, this was the last thing I expected.
Super Mario Party rose from the grave and online support was added for some more minigames.

EDIT: Apparently, the entire game is online now. Neat.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Couldn’t have said it better myself. That’s exactly what Mac should have been. The problem, aside from the obvious unnecessary polarizing gimmick, is that Mac simply doesn’t feel like a proper implementation of the core ideas behind Punch-Out into Smash.

KO Punch is okay (although Star Punch is better) but yeah please reward Mac for punishing rather than taking hits.
I disagree with both this and ahemtoday ahemtoday stated to be honest

Little Mac is a proper representation of Punch Out. You can still punish mistakes from the opponent with Mac, and it's actually more viable to do that then just Super Armor through everything. Most of Little Mac's Attacks are really unsafe on shield, and because he has very bad disadvantage, Little Mac needs to play really patient and wait for openings, just like in Punch out. You can Super Armor through things, but it requires timing, and if they catch you in the very startup of the Smashes, or it's baited, you can get easily bodied

He also doesn't just represent himself, but also the Boss elements of the game as well, with the Super armor, and just the high damage he can deal

With that being said, I do see Little Mac needing changes to be honest. You don't need to change the overall gimmick of Little Mac being a grounded fighter. He should keep that as it separates him from the cast and it's a very interesting take on the Fighter, it just need some changes to make him more viable, while still keeping fundamental moveset

-As Much as I Love it, and I just defended it in this post, I do think it might be in the best interest to Get rid of the Super Armor on the Smash attacks. This is the biggest reason Mac is so annoying to fight against and hard to challenge. While it can be baited and shielded and such, the fact that it's still high killing moves you can't Punish like most other attacks is very demoralizing for the opponent and a big reason Camping is encouraged against Mac

-Instead I would Put all the Super Armor in Straight Lunge (Neutral B). Buff it to have Infinite Armor and perhaps a Slightly Faster Charging time to make the move more deadly, along with Making it Jump Cancelable to help with Disadvantage. However compared to the Smash attacks, you can much more easily react to the activation of Straight lunge, and the actual Attack doesn't come out as Fast as the Smash attacks

-Mac's Aerials should be buffed in terms of Startup and Endlag, and perhaps make it so Every aerial launches towards the Ground, including Up aerial. This would better compliment his Ground game as catching air opponents with the Aerials would force them to a grounded position, where Mac wants to be, and they could be better used as Combo Extensions as well. However they still would be bad in terms of Damage, range, Knockback, so his Grounded game still is the focus

-Shave off endlag off of both Up tilt and Down tilt, so they can be better used as Combo tools, and also for more pressure.

-Bring back the Jab Combos he had in a previous patch. However I do think they should make the timing for Comboing strict, just to have that rhythm element. Perhaps make it close to Frame perfec

This would keep the Core Concept of Little Mac's Current moveset, But I think it better makes him more of a Complete character, as well as make him not such an annoying character.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'll say it a thousand times if I need to, Mac needs a ****ing Dandy Step special

Also, it seems we'll need to keep something in mind in the future, Automata wasn't a lucky break so 2B and Nier may be serious contenders for another SE character

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Reminder this statement from 2019 still stands to this day which is crazy.
I can't imagine these characters are actually banned, it's just coincidence

Sakurai: I want to add Crash, Arle, and Alberto
Haruda: No, they were mean to me on Twitter.com
Sakurai: OK, guess I'll add Min Min and Sephiroth.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I can't imagine these characters are actually banned, it's just coincidence

Sakurai: I want to add Crash, Arle, and Alberto
Haruda: No, they were mean to me on Twitter.com
Sakurai: OK, guess I'll add Min Min and Sephiroth.
Alberto isn’t a character, he’s just the douchebag who tagged harada during the other accounts’ meme sharing in their thread

That’s right

this started over MEMES

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Alberto isn’t a character, he’s just the douchebag who tagged harada during the other accounts’ meme sharing in their thread

That’s right

this started over MEMES
Man Alberto's a fantastic criminal mastermind in the world of Smash speculation, we should put them in Smash for that

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Here’s how I’d change Link and Young Link

Link
B: Ancient Bow / Bow;
Link charges a powerful Ancient Arrow that explodes in an area after full charge. It uses up a specific Stamina meter, so Link switches to a normal bow after the Stamina for the Ancient Bow is fully drained.
B + Forwards: Ripping Boomerang; One of Link’s customs from Smash 4.
B + Up: Spin Attack / Paraglider; On the ground, Link performs his famous Spin Attack. In the air, Link unfurls the Paraglider and floats up high for a bit.
B + Down: Remote Bomb; Same as is.
Final Smash: Flurry Rush; Basically a Triforce Slash reskin, but Link uses Stasis on the opponent in front of him and unleashes a Flurry Rush.

Young Link
B: Fire Arrow;
Same as is.
B + Forward: Double Cutters; Young Link dons a Zora mask and throws two Zora fins like boomerangs.
B + Up: Deku Flower Flight; Young Link dons a Deku Mask and uses two flowers to fly upwards. Mostly similar to Link’s Paraglider, except Young Link can drop one Deku Nut during the flight.
B + Down: Goron Roll / Goron Pound; by constantly tapping B, Young Link dons a Goron Mask and rolls forward uncontrollably. By jumping while rolling or starting up, Young Link instead pounds the ground with tremendous force.
Final Smash: Fierce Deity; once again, a Triforce Slash reskin, but with Young Link as the Fierce Diety.

In Young Link’s case, the Spin Attack would be his neutral aerial attack. Sadly, he doesn’t transform in any of the moves that use a mask, save for Fierce Deity.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Reminder this statement from 2019 still stands to this day which is crazy.
If none of those characters ever show up in Ultimate, I hope Harada follows this up and says "See? I told you I'd tell Sakurai! Now your most wanteds are never gonna be in Smash lol."

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
And this is the part where we joke about the horrifying prospect of a 150+ character League of Legends guessing game
Man, can't believe I missed the memes yesterday.

Can you imagne the ARMS guessing game thumb, but like this?

And people think the "Everyone is Here!" banner is impressive... :4pacman:

Also, fun fact: LoL can technically be called a 2000s rep in the same way Minecraft could - the betas for both games released around 2009. And though the official release date is listed as 2010, Riot themselves seem to acknowledge the beta as the anniversary date - the 10 year one was in 2019, after all.

D

Deleted member

Man, Smashboards is moving a lot slower as of late. I feel like all 'games' have been played (which generally just involves writing your wishlist using different wording each time), all speculation has been run into the ground, and no leaks to really keep us here.

D

Deleted member

I’m subscribing to the theory that the Mario Party update is a test for whatever Nintendo’s new online infrastructure is. Remember those articles from a few months back about Nintendo replacing its 20 year old server system? Unless Nintendo just randomly decided to update this dead game, it’s probably a secret tech demo.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I’m subscribing to the theory that the Mario Party update is a test for whatever Nintendo’s new online infrastructure is. Remember those articles from a few months back about Nintendo replacing its 20 year old server system? Unless Nintendo just randomly decided to update this dead game, it’s probably a secret tech demo.
The fact that Nintendo went back to working on a game that involves Waluigi means Waluigi will be our bonus fighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom