• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Monkey's Paw situation

Sonic Does get a revamp in the next Smash game.

...But his moveset is based off of this game:

Sonic with a sword
1617768727312.png

I will never be able to get over the intro to Sonic and the Black Knight. Magicians, knights, pillars of light... And then in drops Sonic the %$#@ing Hedgehog, falling from the sky
Amazing. Truly amazing.

Last edited:
Smash characters don't really get big changes (unless your name is Pit). Ganondorf is still mostly Falcon derived, despite years of campaigning. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, I'd be upset if my main played completely different in a new game, but it's a consistent rule of smash.
What's wrong with him after the buffs? His dilemma felt more like a balancing issue than a moveset one, unless there's some major issue I'm not privy to.

Samus is the one I want to get some attention. She works as a fighter, but she feels so clunky to me. I don't even know what I would change, but buffing dash attack isn't it.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
What's wrong with him after the buffs? His dilemma felt more like a balancing issue than a moveset one, unless there's some major issue I'm not privy to.

Samus is the one I want to get some attention. She works as a fighter, but she feels so clunky to me. I don't even know what I would change, but buffing dash attack isn't it.
I was referring to the Brawl --> smash 4 transition. He got a bunch of new moves, including 3 specials. He's the only character I can think of that got a true overhaul between games, in the same vein people want for Samus, Sonic, Ganon, ETC.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
This thread has been very chaotic recently, I can't keep up, or maybe that's my "I've been working on a project for hours throughout the night and my mind has shut off" brain being slow.

D

Deleted member

Since E3 2021 is officially a thing, I do not expect the next FP2 reveal to happen before Nintendo's E3 presentation.

Ideally we would get a new Roy/Ryu-like situation, as both are revealed during said presentation but at least one of them will be available the same day.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Since E3 2021 is officially a thing, I do not expect the next FP2 reveal to happen before Nintendo's E3 presentation.

Ideally we would get a new Roy/Ryu-like situation, as both are revealed during said presentation but at least one of them will be available the same day.
Keep in mind that Sakurai mentioned in the Byleth character presents that the localization teams didn't know they were happening until that presents, and so they needed time to be able to prepare them for international release. That's likely something they've been doing to avoid leaks, so I doubt we'll get a shadow drop like we used to.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Double post
Crash might be, but I sincerely doubt Arle would be an E3 reveal. There's a significant portion (most) of casual gamers who have no idea wtf that is.
Arle (20th Anniversary onward).png

This is Arle. Enough said.

Noooooo don't let the best Sonic OST get more bangers in Smash
I'm sorry, did you mean: Sonic & The Secret Rings (that game released three days after my second birthday in fact)?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Noooooo don't let the best Sonic OST get more bangers in Smash stoooop we can't allow the last good story in Sonic get praised like it deserves to be
It's really too bad the game was too difficult for child me. I was shown a clip of a later scene a while back and I have to agree with the guy who showed me; That's the best Sonic moment I've seen.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It's really too bad the game was too difficult for child me. I was shown a clip of a later scene a while back and I have to agree with the guy who showed me; That's the best Sonic moment I've seen.
Sadly I think if a game was too difficult for child me, it is probably still too difficult for adult me. You would think over 30 years of experience gaming would cause me to improve but I think I might actually be worse now than when I was a kid lol. It’s probably because I don’t play nearly as often as an adult as I did growing up.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Sadly I think if a game was too difficult for child me, it is probably still too difficult for adult me. You would think over 30 years of experience gaming would cause me to improve but I think I might actually be worse now than when I was a kid lol. It’s probably because I don’t play nearly as often as an adult as I did growing up.
Honestly I don't think the part I got stuck on was all that difficult. I just needed a better reaction time so I could do the quick time events so that Sonic would just give the rings to the villagers.

As far as improving at games goes, I think my skill is sometimes determined by my mood. Like, I played Sonic Mania when I was bored, died a lot, didn't like it. Then picked it back up a few months later, beat it, loved it. I don't think I got any better at video games during that time though.

I also did this with Mega Man X, but I think the initial issue was because they changed they made the dash button a face button, which meant you had to use your thumb in the most awkward fashion in order to jump, shoot, and dash at the same time. After fixing the controls I actually found the game to be pretty easy (except for Sigma's 2nd phase. Screw that phase), although, I then found out that there was still a dash macro; it was just double tapping a direction instead of down + jump, which makes total sense and definitely won't send me off of a cliff at some point.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Smash characters don't really get big changes (unless your name is Pit). Ganondorf is still mostly Falcon derived, despite years of campaigning. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, I'd be upset if my main played completely different in a new game, but it's a consistent rule of smash.
Bowser did get some pretty big changes in Smash 4 too. His moveset wasn't completely change, but the fact that he's faster and the new N-air and B-air makes him feels way more mobile and is imo way more fun to play. I think a lot of characters in the roster would benefit a lot for simpler change like that. Characters like Samus doesn't really need the whole moveset change, just change some basic attacks. I would change at least her jab, f-tilt, down smash and maybe down special (or at least makes it stronger).

Personally, I think the only characters that would need really big changes would be Ganondorf, Donkey kong, Toon Link and Sonic (and maybe Dark pit and Dark Samus so they're more different like Ken). There's other characters I would change, but it would mostly be small changes (like Mario, Samus, Kirby, Luigi, Dr. Mario). I think aside from the clones none of the characters from Smash 4 or Ultimate really need changes.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord

View attachment 308600

Phil Spencer has teased upcoming announcement with background items. So far, most if not all of them have been spot on.
This guy pointed out at Switch at the background. So perhaps, stars are aligned.
Do you guys think it will happen during E3?

Gengar84

Smash Hero

View attachment 308600

Phil Spencer has teased upcoming announcement with background items. So far, most if not all of them have been spot on.
This guy pointed out at Switch at the background. So perhaps, stars are aligned.
I’m going to be unrealistically optimistic and just choose to believe this means Battletoads and Fulgore are the last two DLC characters and will be a double reveal at E3. That seems like a totally reasonable conclusion and there is no way I’ll be let down in the end.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Could be something else as well. There have been rumors regarding Halo on the Switch for a while now, no?

That said, if it was Chief in Smash, it would absolutely be an E3 reveal. Assuming we only get one character, I think Chief has to be next or he's not in at all. I can't see Nintendo ending DLC on him. Though to be fair this also applies to a number of other "big" characters, especially western ones.

Regardless, the next time someone calls the Smash fanbase crazy for overanalyzing backgrounds in presentations, I'm swiftly pointing them to this. :roll:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

View attachment 308600

I... don't think we're getting Master Chief this late in the game. If that really IS hinting at something, I doubt that's it.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
You know I might actually yeet myself from this site until E3. Depression over a lot of things, including the passing away of my father last December, a job that while I mostly enjoy it is also stressful, the pandemic and not knowing if some friends are safe (a few caught COVID and became “long haulers” and idk if they’ll ever be okay again), and other things. The fact I to this day haven’t gotten even one of my most wanteds (Min Min was a “she’d be nice to have”) didn’t help.

At the very least, with Hayabusa out I don’t have to worry about the person who mistreated me being I guess “validated” (long ass story there). But I also wanna try to get some personal affairs in order that I’ve put off for quite some time. Including but not limited to psychiatric help.

I may make a post in the Elma thread and/or social thread later when I’m ready to announce my departure. I think it’ll be better for me for now.
Do what you feel is right for your mental health.

SKX31

Smash Master

Bowser did get some pretty big changes in Smash 4 too. His moveset wasn't completely change, but the fact that he's faster and the new N-air and B-air makes him feels way more mobile and is imo way more fun to play. I think a lot of characters in the roster would benefit a lot for simpler change like that. Characters like Samus doesn't really need the whole moveset change, just change some basic attacks. I would change at least her jab, f-tilt, down smash and maybe down special (or at least makes it stronger).

Personally, I think the only characters that would need really big changes would be Ganondorf, Donkey kong, Toon Link and Sonic (and maybe Dark pit and Dark Samus so they're more different like Ken). There's other characters I would change, but it would mostly be small changes (like Mario, Samus, Kirby, Luigi, Dr. Mario). I think aside from the clones none of the characters from Smash 4 or Ultimate really need changes.
I'm not sure what I would change either (outside of jab). I can kinda see calls for a rework, but her original gameplay style isn't really far off her lore (outside of her being relatively slow, that's why it might feel clunky. Especially to those used to the mobility upgrades in 2D Metroids). She could use a second look in case there are stuff that could be incorporated into the moveset, but it would have to be a careful process.

Honestly, she's a case where I was a bit more in favor of changing her during the Brawl and 4 era when she felt kinda stagnant. I'm okay with where she is now, especially when several key aspects of hers like her grab game and projectiles were improved. Now both she and fellow classic projectile user Link are able to play consistently to their strengths and can play well-rounded "Mighty Glacier" styles - this is also a major reason why I liked her Melee counterpart. That's why I feel it would have to be a kinda careful process.

I'm curious though Capitaine, I guess you have specific attacks in mind when you mention F-Tilt, D-Smash and her Bombs (stronger makes me think Power Bombs, which could be interesting)?

Chances are decent - to say the least - this won't come to pass, but hey, I do agree that Chief would be one of the best characters as an E3 reveal IMO. Especially since his moveset would be really interesting to look at, but the whole Challenger Pack would be an amazing opportunity to include a lot of great stuff.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I still don’t expect them but it is kind of funny how things are seeming to line up to actually get the Battletoads in Smash. First, we got Banjo, showing that Microsoft and Rare are willing to work with Nintendo in Smash. Next, Ryu Hyabusa looks to be out of the running in this game, eliminating their strongest competition as another NES rep. Finally, we have this hint that Microsoft may have some news coming up on the Switch. Until recently, I never thought the Battletoads had much if any chance to make it in but I’m starting to believe there may actually be a chance this time. They are my brother’s favorite characters ever and I would be really happy for him if they somehow finally made it. Their moveset seems like a perfect fit and their classic designs are really cool so I’d love to see them for myself as well. Like I said, I’m still not expecting it to happen but it doesn’t feel totally hopeless anymore.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I disagree with this almost completely. Remember that Ridley, King K rule, Banjo and to a lesser extent Simon all got in because of fan interest. I think the entire reason they're was so much hype around Geno is that Nintendo was finally adding characters based on fan-demand. I do think popular characters have a much better shot at getting selected. The majority of the non-first partly DLC prove this.
The thing is, Geno was never as massively popular as the other characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom