• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
What a coincidence that it's Sonic related given the current conversation.
Speaking of, here's my two cents:
  • Shadow got snubbed of an Echo spot
  • Tails and Knuckles (the latter being an Assist Trophy) are DLC Mii Costumes
So ergo, Eggman would make just as much sense as anyone

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Reject Tails, Knuckles and Eggman

Embrace Amy, Blaze and Zavok

:yeahboi:
I'm only half joking, Zavok is so wide he counts as 2

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Do you guys think we’ll be getting a fighter from an already included series? We’ve double dipped in FF and XBC this pass so I’m curious as to whether another franchise will be boosted.

As for the Sonic discussion, Eggman seems to be the clear frontrunner. Shadow is an assist, Tails is a DLC Mii Costume, Knuckles is both. Eggman is the outlier. I think he has a pretty decent shot all things considered.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I'm curious, on the topic of Sonic, how do you guys feel Tails fares overall?

I had counted him out for a while, and I imagine most people did on account of his Mii Costume, but since he was part of the first wave of the first pass... every pack was handled quite a bit different than Joker's, which was back in April 2019 anyway. I think if any costumes were gonna get promoted, it would be that one since I feel like FP2 wouldn't have been 100% locked in at the time. In my eyes this is a bit of a debatable grace period. We already know that Rex's costume was a non-factor, assuming that Sakurai didn't cook up these concepts way ahead of time.

There are a few factors that are having me take Tails more seriously - as I addressed before Sega is in a pretty comfy place to get another character, but on top of that we have three characters in this pass coming from series that already had some content in-game. It's not a guarantee that we get another, although that's a pretty significant chunk right? 3/4 of these characters overlap with some content that we already had. I've been struggling to figure out who (up until now, I guess?), but I feel like we may get one more character who falls under that umbrella.

The biggest competition another Sonic character has is Arle - who I want significantly more, and think she at least does still have a fighting chance - but I will be honest and accept that more Sonic would appeal to the Smash audience a bit more directly, plus more obvious moveset potential that the potentially surface-level-thinking Nintendo could see more clearly. I would be disappointed but not upset to see another Sonic character chosen over Arle.

And then I opt for Tails over Eggman because... well, it seems arbitrary but with how much of a focus Sephiroth had on being a big bad boss, I'm not very confident that we have another villain in tow. Couple that with Eggman being a little bit more difficult to envision over the much more clear cut Tails. I guess it kinda depends whether or not Nintendo would approach Sakurai and say "we want Tails" or if we'd have a situation where Sakurai gets to select whatever Sonic character he likes. But even then, Smash tends to lean in the direction of sidekicks over villains when applicable.
Tails is a popular character, People know who he is. They love him. He's also been a frequent character in Sonic, even when the time after Sonic 06 where Sega didn't want to use other characters that were Sonic, Eggman and Tails

Any of the 4 Sonic characters would be a good choice since they really have no downsides to why they shouldn't be in. Even if Sonic isn't very big in Japan, it has and still kind of has a presence there

I think they will Add Shadow though because reasons.

D

Deleted member

This is your CP10

View attachment 307309

Discuss.
232FF1CD-6858-4EBD-8897-DE467D1D4D58.png

I want to live in a world where there is unironic discourse about there being too many potted plants on the roster. :ultpiranha:

For real though, on the off chance we do get a PvZ character I’d much prefer Peashooter to Crazy Dave. Having it morph between all the different peashooter variants for various moves would be really cool.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
A PvZ character would be cool, either Peashooter being a ranged-type with some melee if not pure-range or maybe Sunflower playing as a summoner supporting/attacking with other plants (idk iirc all the sunflowers do is get energy so you can plant more plants).

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'd actually argue Kiryu would make a bigger splash over here than Hero, did 'cause Yakuza is actually growing pretty steadily over here. It's not a huge household name or anything like that, but it's building an audience for sure.
I kinda agree. Yakuza is popular in Japan, though Like a Dragon, the latest game, seems to haven't sold very well. My curiosity comes from, do japanese Smash fans speculate about Kiryu in Smash? Or that's more a western thing? Even if Kiryu's has a decent popularity over there, something tells me the japanese Smash community has barely considered him lol

Anyway. Yakuza as a series has been growing decently in the West in the past years. It isn't a household name but it is definitely gaining a sizable community, I'd say, in a similar way to Persona.
Like I guess it's because I'm into the series but from time to time I find Yakuza memes going very viral on Twitter and reaching a lot of people who doesn't know or hasn't played Yakuza. Yeah I know, memes are memes, but at the same time that's still exposure.

It has also become a series that gets more attention and coverage from big magazines and websites, which definitely helps.

Even with that, not gonna lie, I don't believe Kiryu would be a showstopper for a supposed E3 reveal. I could see him getting a lot of people on his side thanks to his charisma and all, plus getting a good and hype trailer reveal would also help. But still. Maybe it's because when we always talk about E3 reveal we think of big and super popular names such as Crash or Sora, so maybe I'm wrong, but I don't know.

I think he would get better reactions from western Smash fans than Hero, but nothing crazy.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
One thing I think Crazy Dave could benefit from is using various items for weak, low/no-cost moves, like the Rake and the Lawnmowers. Aside from that, he can plant the... Well, the plants more naturally, being a person and not one of the plants himself. Granted, I believe the other plants can pull that off too in Garden Warfare, but they'd still most likely focus on their own abilities more than summoning.

Also, W A L L N U T B O W L I N G

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
So, I got bored and decided to make another Newcomer thing..this time for the Octolings.
I imagine them having mostly different moves from Inklings, using newer weapons from Splatoon 2, such as the Splat Dualies or using some of the weapons differently, such as slamming down the Ink Roller. This would also be used to add in Octo Expansion content, such as new Spirits, including the Octo Expansion designs for some characters, along with a stage for the Deepsea Metro that transitions between the main subway and different levels, including the Final Boss area. They would also have the Enemy Octolings as costumes, including the Zombie-esque 'Sanitized Octoling'. Ideally, they would also use different Ink Colours from Inklings, even if only by shade differences for some. We'd also get some Octo Expansion music.
SmashTemplateOctoling.png

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
So, I got bored and decided to make another Newcomer thing..this time for the Octolings.
I imagine them having mostly different moves from Inklings, using newer weapons from Splatoon 2, such as the Splat Dualies or using some of the weapons differently, such as slamming down the Ink Roller. This would also be used to add in Octo Expansion content, such as new Spirits, including the Octo Expansion designs for some characters, along with a stage for the Deepsea Metro that transitions between the main subway and different levels, including the Final Boss area. They would also have the Enemy Octolings as costumes, including the Zombie-esque 'Sanitized Octoling'. Ideally, they would also use different Ink Colours from Inklings, even if only by shade differences for some. We'd also get some Octo Expansion music.
View attachment 307313
Gah this is too cool and I need something like it for real now lol. Octoling is right up there with guys like Monster Hunter as my 100% getting in eventually picks, even if it has to be a far future game.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
View attachment 307313
Yeah, this makes a big heap of sense. I like it!
Can I have a link to a template, please? There's a few certain somebodies that I'd like to take a crack at.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Gah this is too cool and I need something like it for real now lol. Octoling is right up there with guys like Monster Hunter as my 100% getting in eventually picks, even if it has to be a far future game.
Thanks and I completely agree..I'm half surprised they weren't included as an Easy Echo, but I guess that at least lets us get Octolings that could rep Splatoon 2 and 3 for weapons and such in the next entry.
Yeah, this makes a big heap of sense. I like it!
Can I have a link to a template, please? There's a few certain somebodies that I'd like to take a crack at.
Thank you~
Sure, I have two versions, I forget who did the original template, but I cleaned up the first one and did an alternate version for Alt Costumes instead of Spirits, so enjoy~
SmashTemplate.png SmashTemplate2.png
Just click them for full views~

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Sega themselves consider Yakuza a niche franchise, and it has nowhere near the requisite sales numbers (thus audience size) to be considered "pretty big" in the west, nor the Smash demand to compare to past popularity-related bombshells.
As others have mentioned, there are worse selling franchises in Smash already.

Does anyone have a situation where aside from the main character of an unrepresented game, they also want one of the supporting characters?
Arthur AND Firebrand from GnG.

Also wouldn't mind it if both Dante and Vergil got in.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Does anyone have a situation where aside from the main character of an unrepresented game, they also want one of the supporting characters?
Scorpion and Sub-Zero for me (though neither of them are really the “main character”). Luckily, they could work as semi-clones of each other, but having them both as unique characters would be amazing.

In terms of side characters that I would actually want more then the main character...well going back to the Yakuza discussion, Majima is easily my favorite character in the series, but there is no reasonable way we would get him over Kiryu. If we could somehow get both of them, then that would be fantastic.

Oh also Chrono Trigger! I like Crono well enough, but he’s far from the most memorable character. There are so many great side characters. Honestly, while this would never happen, if we somehow got Frog or Lucca instead of Crono I would be very happy.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Sudden idea:
Does anyone have a situation where aside from the main character of an unrepresented game, they also want one of the supporting characters? If we're going for an example with an already-represented series, an example would be wanting Mega Man and Zero at the same time before the former was revealed in 4. Does anyone have a similar situation now? I think this could help shake things up a bit; Look at some more unlikely choices.
I honestly would like to see Apollo more than Phoenix. I love Ace Attorney so I’ll take either, but yeah I want Apollo

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Sudden idea:
Does anyone have a situation where aside from the main character of an unrepresented game, they also want one of the supporting characters? If we're going for an example with an already-represented series, an example would be wanting Mega Man and Zero at the same time before the former was revealed in 4. Does anyone have a similar situation now? I think this could help shake things up a bit; Look at some more unlikely choices.
My most wanted is Reimu, but if I'm being honest I want Sakuya even more.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
Here's an interesting question, if indeed the rest of the pass is in fact only in companies that were in the first (Nintendo, Sega, SE, Microsoft, SNK) how would you fill the last two spots with just those five as choices?

Gonna go with some dark horse choices with mine, with Beat from Jet Set Radio from Sega & the Battletoads from Microsoft.
I’d go for Dr. Eggman and Paper Mario. Funnily enough, FP2 feels like base game picks.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Here's an interesting question, if indeed the rest of the pass is in fact only in companies that were in the first (Nintendo, Sega, SE, Microsoft, SNK) how would you fill the last two spots with just those five as choices?

Gonna go with some dark horse choices with mine, with Beat from Jet Set Radio from Sega & the Battletoads from Microsoft.
Gonna go with Bandana Dee and Dr. Eggman.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
A Mega Charizard form as an Echo of Charizard that just gives it back Rock Smash would've been an easy addition and preserved the Smash 4 mvoeset for those who liked it. Echoes could've been a way to provide those kinds of options too. Everyone goes on about "ooh Chrom has a new Up Special!!" so it's not like people would complain either.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Thanks to the templates provided by DevaAshera DevaAshera , I decided to play along and make my own little newcomer cards for two characters I'd love to see make it one day. Each took about an hour each, so they're a bit sloppy in some parts, but I think I got the gist of photoshop down pretty good over the past few years.
crash_smash_ideas_small.png

Aku Aku logo by EvilWaluigi on Deviantart
asuka_smash_ideas_small.png

Sorry, Deva, I wanted to include Hikage on the Spirit Board... who's to say there can't be more?

Geno Boost

Smash Master
A Mega Charizard form as an Echo of Charizard that just gives it back Rock Smash would've been an easy addition and preserved the Smash 4 mvoeset for those who liked it. Echoes could've been a way to provide those kinds of options too. Everyone goes on about "ooh Chrom has a new Up Special!!" so it's not like people would complain either.
Plus blue fire would be epic alongside Ike

Shroob

Sup?
Hot take.

Shoulda given Dark Pit Brawl Pit's moveset.

Still don't like how they basically tossed out a bunch of moves between Brawl and 4 and just, entirely got rid of them.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Thanks to the templates provided by DevaAshera DevaAshera , I decided to play along and make my own little newcomer cards for two characters I'd love to see make it one day. Each took about an hour each, so they're a bit sloppy in some parts, but I think I got the gist of photoshop down pretty good over the past few years.
View attachment 307320
Aku Aku logo by EvilWaluigi on Deviantart
View attachment 307321
Sorry, Deva, I wanted to include Hikage on the Spirit Board... who's to say there can't be more?
Nice~ Funnily enough, I'd made these last year.
SmashTemplateAsuka.png

SmashTemplateYumi.png

I had actually created the costume version for Yumi lol
Although I adore Hikage, I know she'd never make it in over one of the team leaders, probably Asuka, the original main, or Yumi, the one Marvelous pushes more often now due to her popularity...and I don't know why I had so few characters as Spirits..probably a 'they're too sexy to appear' and I forgot they could be censored somehow lol
I do like the idea of Hanzo Academy as the stage rather than the one I took from BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle since I made these when I was only just really getting into the series..or perhaps have Hebijo Academy and end up having it transition into a destroyed version due to Orochi.
For Crash, I would have included Crash with Japanese Crash as his alternate, since Japan would prefer that version..so they'd probably swap the defaults between the two regions like with ROB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom