• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Sudden idea:
Does anyone have a situation where aside from the main character of an unrepresented game, they also want one of the supporting characters? If we're going for an example with an already-represented series, an example would be wanting Mega Man and Zero at the same time before the former was revealed in 4. Does anyone have a similar situation now? I think this could help shake things up a bit; Look at some more unlikely choices.
If saying Mega Man X and Zero doesn't count, then there's a few that come to mind.

Sub-Zero and Scorpion.
Dante and Vergil or Dante and Nero.
Killer Instinct could be Jago and Fulgore.
Streets of Rage could work with both Axel Stone and Blaze Fielding.
Jill and Leon from Resident Evil could work too.

As far as other non-main characters I'd like, but we're pretty much NEVER getting. Vile's one of my favorite villains. Nina Williams is my 2nd main in Tekken after Jin. Yoshimitsu would be awesome in general. Spire from Metroid, if only because I liked using him in Hunter's Multiplayer back in the day.

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Sudden idea:
Does anyone have a situation where aside from the main character of an unrepresented game, they also want one of the supporting characters? If we're going for an example with an already-represented series, an example would be wanting Mega Man and Zero at the same time before the former was revealed in 4. Does anyone have a similar situation now? I think this could help shake things up a bit; Look at some more unlikely choices.
Sol Badguy and Ky Kiske for Guilty Gear - need my Fighting Game boys in this game, having a swordfighter with fighting game inputs would be the typical Smash fan's nightmare and would be hilarious to see

Kiryu and Majima for Yakuza - If Majima's a bit too savage for Smash... Ichiban would be hella rad too

Marco and Fio for Metal Slug - though they'd definitely be Alts/Echoes of each other. Mars People as a potential rep could work along just fine as well honestly

Jill and Leon for Resident Evil - the obvious pick, I don't think making them exact Echoes of each other would work, but semi-clones like Isabelle and Villager? Hell yes

Reimu and Marisa from Touhou - the more Touhou characters, the more Touhou songs if my calculations aren't incorrect?? that's a win-win!!

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Come to think of it, I don't we've ever had an animal themed tourney where you can only use animal like characters. Could be a tournament saved for Crash Bandicoot?

:ultdk::ultyoshi::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultbowser::ultpichu::ultfalco:
:ultmewtwo::ultdiddy::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultlucario::ultwolf::ultgreninja::ultbowserjr:
:ultduckhunt::ultinkling::ultridley::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultbanjokazooie::ultcrash:
I wouldn't count Jigglypuff and Mewtwo as animals.
Jigglypuff is a furry balloon, and Mewtwo is an overgrown fetus.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Do you guys think we’ll be getting a fighter from an already included series? We’ve double dipped in FF and XBC this pass so I’m curious as to whether another franchise will be boosted.

As for the Sonic discussion, Eggman seems to be the clear frontrunner. Shadow is an assist, Tails is a DLC Mii Costume, Knuckles is both. Eggman is the outlier. I think he has a pretty decent shot all things considered.
Not entirely impossible, just kind of improbable. But even then I tend not to fall too heavily into saying one thing is super likely.

- I agree with what your saying with Eggman. I think either him or Tails would be the most likely in that scenario. They are the longest standing of the characters, and Eggman's only a Spirit, something Min-Min and Pyra/Mythra already got and were still chosen. Though if I was extremely biased, I'd say Knuckles should be chosen cause he's the coolest of the bunch.

- We know Rex was considered for season 2 despite his Mii costume, so again, not impossible, but improbable that another character, one who wouldn't get axed for being too complex to work with could get added and Tails seems like a solid choice for that. Not sure if this also applies to Knuckles, Mega Man X or Protoman.

- If we get another Mega Man character, I feel like Protoman, Mega Man X, Zero and/or Mega Man.EXE would make the most sense, since I'm pretty sure they are the most popular dudes other than OG Mega Man. GBA Zero could still dash in, but he's not nearly as popular as his original version(if that's something to worry about). Or Mega Man Volnutt/Geo could pull a Chrom too, as they have no Mii Costumes currently they would seem more viable, Even Bass could. Problem is they aren't as popular as the four I mentioned above. So I'm sure if they would be chosen for that reason.

- Chun-Li's pretty iconic, so if Street Fighter got another character, there's like an 80% chance of it being her, unless they wanted a Villain like M.Bison or Akuma. Though who knows, maybe Ono breaks into Sakurai's house and forces Blanka into the game despite no longer being at Capcom.

- So the only thing I'm pretty much entirely doubting are AT characters, except maaaaaaaybe Alucard. Because we know he was almost chosen as it is. So his moveset is probably roughed out at least.

- Or somehow Waluigi's popularity is acknowledged to have him be the AT upgrade people clamor for.

- Persona could take any of its MCs I guess, but I don't know much about that franchise to say more than that. But that Demi-Fiend dude that Idon mentions looks cooler so if he counts I'd root for him.

- KoF probably isn't getting another character, but if "CERO-Friendly" Mai makes it in, it's one of the saltiest runbacks of all time. Otherwise, I say they should Release the Geese!

- Maybe they add Midna or Skull Kid I dunno.

- Pokemon's almost always on the table. Though the current games to push will probably be Diamond and Pearl related. Though the Legends game has starters from multiple gens.

DynoStretch

Smash Cadet
Sudden idea:
Blaze the Cat from the Sonic series as opposed to Tails or Eggman

Goro from Mortal Kombat rather then Scorpion

Bleu/Deis from Breath of Fire over Ryu

Palico/Felyne from Monster Hunter over a hunter

Kirie Himuro from Fatal Frame 1 rather then one of the protags

Dana Iclucia from Ys 8 over Adol

Estelle Bright from the Trails series instead of Rend

Veedramon from Digimon rather then Agumon

Balrog from Cave Story rather then Quote (huzzah!)

Dracovish, alola Marowak, Xurkitree, Tsareena, Ludicolo, Arctozolt, Grapploct, Gengar, Lycanroc or Melmetal from Pokemon over any of the safe choices, like a starter or Urihifu

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Do you guys think we’ll be getting a fighter from an already included series? We’ve double dipped in FF and XBC this pass so I’m curious as to whether another franchise will be boosted.
Either that or more Nintendo-owned IPs. I really don't see us getting two entirely new third party IPs as the final two characters, so it boils down to doubledipping or Nintendo's own brands.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Sudden idea:
Yeah, most of my favorite video game characters are either supporting characters or villains. One of my very most wanted is Magus from Chrono Trigger. I could name dozens of characters I would love to see that aren’t the main protagonist, many of them from games where we don’t even have the main character yet. Just a few others I would love are Zegram Ghart (Rogue Galaxy), Illidan Stormrage (Warcraft), Sarah Kerrigan (Starcraft), Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors), Fulgore (Killer Instinct), Ansem/Xemnas (Kingdom Hearts), Vincent Valentine (Final Fantasy), Nia (Xenoblade), Zero or Pharaoh Man (Mega Man), and Sub-Zero (Mortal Kimbat) among many others.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

As for the Sonic discussion, Eggman seems to be the clear frontrunner. Shadow is an assist, Tails is a DLC Mii Costume, Knuckles is both. Eggman is the outlier. I think he has a pretty decent shot all things considered.
I can’t say much for third-parties aside from possibly Eggman and Chun-Li are possibilities (MH costumes only disconfirm MH, not every other Capcom character) and maybe Alucard if AT promotions are on the table, but I made a post on potential first party characters from represented franchises.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I wouldn't count Jigglypuff and Mewtwo as animals.
Jigglypuff is a furry balloon, and Mewtwo is an overgrown fetus.
Yeah I was kind of on the fence of putting them in but since Pokemon are just animals and can be treated as pets, it felt right to include them.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
It really does feel like Sephiroth only really happened as sort of a weird deal with Square-Enix. As in, they wanted Cloud to be DLC all over again but Sakurai/Nintendo had to twist their arms for the sake of "Everyone is Here", so they agreed to include Sephiroth later on which would actually have all of Final Fantasy's additional content outside of Cloud/Midgar (spirits, music, Mii outfits).

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
It really does feel like Sephiroth only really happened as sort of a weird deal with Square-Enix. As in, they wanted Cloud to be DLC all over again but Sakurai/Nintendo had to twist their arms for the sake of "Everyone is Here", so they agreed to include Sephiroth later on which would actually have all of Final Fantasy's additional content outside of Cloud/Midgar (spirits, music, Mii outfits).
This theory has no actual evidence backing it up especially considering how good Square Enix and Nintendo’s relationship is, which is the precise reason Sakurai stated why we got the Geno Mii costume in Smash 4 - a one-shot 1996 character.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
This theory has no actual evidence backing it up especially considering how good Square Enix and Nintendo’s relationship is, which is the precise reason Sakurai stated why we got the Geno Mii costume in Smash 4 - a one-shot 1996 character.
I think that the lack of FFVII spirits and music could be an implication. The idea that they would withhold spirits, so that they can be added alongside Sephiroth later sounds possible. Though I bet you that a lot of it had to do with Sakurai’s own desires and not just Square Enix being difficult. With the amount of love put into to Seph’s reveal, it’s very clear that Sakurai’s a fan.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
It just seems to me Square-Enix is more willing to play ball when DLC is involved.

And remember that Sakurai heavily implied that Cloud almost didn't make it back, thus almost preventing Everyone is Here.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
It just seems to me Square-Enix is more willing to play ball when DLC is involved.

And remember that Sakurai heavily implied that Cloud almost didn't make it back, thus almost preventing Everyone is Here.
To be more precise he said that certain companies made it hard to pull off Everyone is Here. We don't know if he was referring to Square Enix or Konami.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Ok, i think i know a potential mii costume that could have the same reaction people had over sans.

Crewmate costume.
Smash assimilated by Red Crewmate just like the weather.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
To be more precise he said that certain companies made it hard to pull off Everyone is Here. We don't know if he was referring to Square Enix or Konami.
Considering how unreasonable Konami was acting in 2015 and Square-Enix’s relationship with Nintendo, it must have been Konami Sakurai was referring to.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Considering how unreasonable Konami was acting in 2015 and Square-Enix’s relationship with Nintendo, it must have been Konami Sakurai was referring to.
Esp since EVERYONE IS HERE showed up when they revealed Snake was returning

that actually makes me worry for Snake/Simon/Richter more so than Cloud/Hero/Sephiroth if the next game doesnt have EVERYONE IS HERE

the FF stuff is probably safe, DQ might be safe especially if Sugiyama... dies before the next game thus no more stingy music rights BS. but I’m worried Konami may be a bunch of pricks again randomly

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I'm thinking both Cloud and Snake were this way. Mostly because Konami Hates Kojima and all of his Properties, and Square refuses to help legally with certain Assets (aka literally EVERYTHING!)

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yeah the only reason to still think SE is hard to handle is Sugiyama who's gonna die soon as he's in his 90's iirc.

Also sidenote, C chocolatejr9
There was a problem fetching the tweet
FINALLY, now people can stop accusing the devs of being ignorant. Granted, I know there are some people who believe the game should be reworked from the ground up, but as someone who actually LIKED the demo, I didn't really care either way. Plus, you'd be surprised by the miracles some Day One patches can bring...

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Sudden idea:
This is a bit of a different scenario, but since fourth parties are impossible anyways, I say I support Spinel from Steven Universe, not Steven himself.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Peashooter or any PvZ character is a Chaotic Good choice for a Smash pick in my eyes.
This comment I made led me to create this...

This is not a character morality alignment this is more about the Alignment of the idea of the smash character pick.

Lawful Good- The most talked about characters and the ones that would please the most amount of people.

Neutral Good- The characters that while not nearly as obscure as other picks, Are picks that a lot of people would be generally okay with and respect, not very controversial, not really ultra groundbreaking.

Chaotic Good- Characters that are unexpected or out there but would get a lot of conversation and make a lot of sense in hindsight and could be controversial.

Lawful Neutral- Characters that are (mostly)obscure but respected and a lot of people can get on board with these characters based on their move set not necessarily their personal attachment. They can get pretty controversial but it's never that loud.

True Neutral- All First Party Picks, some are beloved some are hated. Nintendo picks are expected.

Chaotic Neutral- Characters that get a lot of discussion and are usually controversial, The fact that Sakurai and Nintendo having the gall to add these characters makes them extra notable. these ones can also make sense in hindsight.

Lawful Evil- "Honorary Video Game Characters" characters that are not from videogames but are attached to them enough to not feel out of place with other videogame characters

Neutral Evil- Non-videogame characters that people have wanted as seen through fan polls or previous mentions. Most are Tangentially related to games, but it's not what they are famous for.

Chaotic Evil- MUST KEEP AWAY FROM SMASH FOR THE SAKE OF REALITY!

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
My issue with Ryu Hayabusa right now is that I felt like he would've played like Sheik with a sword because both are ninjas, and that's exactly how Mythra plays.

There's obviously ways of making Ryu unique, but I wouldn't expect two very similar character archetypes right after another.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Still waiting for Fall Guys and Among Us Mii costumes.......and FG music too.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm thinking both Cloud and Snake were this way. Mostly because Konami Hates Kojima and all of his Properties, and Square refuses to help legally with certain Assets (aka literally EVERYTHING!)
Show me proof Square refuses to help, because the way you're saying this has me think you're talking about Square not having total control over the parts they don't fully own

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Show me proof Square refuses to help, because the way you're saying this has me think you're talking about Square not having total control over the parts they don't fully own
Yeah that with Cloud during Base Game before the Final Fantasy VII Content Pack.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah that with Cloud during Base Game before the Final Fantasy VII Content Pack.
That was likely just timing, and that Ryu, Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta were being worked on for smash 4 AND Ultimate at the same time

idr where I saw that claim but it makes sense

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
This comment I made led me to create this...

This is not a character morality alignment this is more about the Alignment of the idea of the smash character pick.

Lawful Good- The most talked about characters and the ones that would please the most amount of people.

Neutral Good- The characters that while not nearly as obscure as other picks, Are picks that a lot of people would be generally okay with and respect, not very controversial, not really ultra groundbreaking.

Chaotic Good- Characters that are unexpected or out there but would get a lot of conversation and make a lot of sense in hindsight and could be controversial.

Lawful Neutral- Characters that are (mostly)obscure but respected and a lot of people can get on board with these characters based on their move set not necessarily their personal attachment. They can get pretty controversial but it's never that loud.

True Neutral- All First Party Picks, some are beloved some are hated. Nintendo picks are expected.

Chaotic Neutral- Characters that get a lot of discussion and are usually controversial, The fact that Sakurai and Nintendo having the gall to add these characters makes them extra notable. these ones can also make sense in hindsight.

Lawful Evil- "Honorary Video Game Characters" characters that are not from videogames but are attached to them enough to not feel out of place with other videogame characters

Neutral Evil- Non-videogame characters that people have wanted as seen through fan polls or previous mentions. Most are Tangentially related to games, but it's not what they are famous for.

Chaotic Evil- MUST KEEP AWAY FROM SMASH FOR THE SAKE OF REALITY!
This is honestly a pretty accurate chart if you ask me. Though it is jarring seeing Sephiroth as Neutral Good.
My issue with Ryu Hayabusa right now is that I felt like he would've played like Sheik with a sword because both are ninjas, and that's exactly how Mythra plays.

There's obviously ways of making Ryu unique, but I wouldn't expect two very similar characters in fighting styles right after another.
Aside from being fast and having a sword, Ryu Hayabusa has plenty of distinctions from Mythra. The way he wields his sword would already be enough to make him feel different. And honestly, his sword doesn’t even need to be all that central to his moveset. In DoA, he mostly specializes in hand-to-hand combat, and I imagine that would be incorporated into his playstyle. Also with bows, shurikens, ninpo, spears, staves, nunchucks, grappling hooks, and the Izuna Drop, Hayabusa would have no trouble standing out.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Wasn't it Square Enix who suggested Eight and Solo to go alongside Luminery and Erdrick as a way to somewhat deal with the music issue? Most of Square Enix seems very willing to allow content for Smash Bros. The main issue appears to be more the copyrights regarding other companies or owners, and possibly some of the more higher suits, than Square Enix.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wasn't it Square Enix who suggested Eight and Solo to go alongside Luminery and Erdrick as a way to somewhat deal with the music issue? Most of Square Enix seems very willing to allow content for Smash Bros. The main issue appears to be more the copyrights regarding other companies or owners, and possibly some of the more higher suits, than Square Enix.
Plus, VIII’s the most popular DQ in the west, being many’s entry point into the series

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord

There's obviously ways of making Ryu unique, but I wouldn't expect two very similar characters in fighting styles right after another.
I'm not a huge Hayabusa advocate but I do know he has such a wide variety of weapons and abilities, it would be unbelievably lame if they just stuck to his katana. From the looks of it, he could have as much moveset potential as Dante or atleast be near his level. I really doubt he would play simillar to Mythra or Sheik.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom