• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I think Dante could have meta breaking potential. He was top tier in MvC3 & top 2 (I think) in MvCI.

But realistically, we’re not getting another Smash 4 Cloud or Bayo. Sakurai’s gotten really good at balance.
Speaking of MvC... Zero.

That's it, that's the post.

(Imagine Sakurai going like "I want to make characters as faithful as possible in Smash. Which is why we had to make Zero broken, it would't be Zero in a crossover fighter if he wasn't broken.")

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I think Dante could have meta breaking potential. He was top tier in MvC3 & top 2 (I think) in MvCI.

But realistically, we’re not getting another Smash 4 Cloud or Bayo. Sakurai’s gotten really good at balance.
Dante's not getting the Jump cancel shenaningas (at least not doable instantly off of a footstool) - that would be nauseating to deal with.

And yeah, they have, which is a good testament to how well they've crafted the game. There are only a few matchups that makes me think:

FTR, those matchups are AFAIK :ultlittlemac: vs. :ultminmin , :ultlittlemac: vs. :ultpacman:, :ultganondorf: vs. :ultpikachu:. and :ultpiranha: vs :ultvillager: / :ultisabelle: . The last one might be a tad surprising;

• Min Min straight up shuts down the ground from Mac.
  • Trampoline / Hydrant likewise screws Mac over.
  • While Ganondorf DORIYAHS all over Pikachu casually, a Pikachu with more practice can just decide to carry Ganondorf to the blastzone.
  • Pocket turns Ptooie into one of the game's best moves and can KO Plant at like 30 %; and while Poison Cloud is more situational, Pocket multiplies Poison Cloud's damage to a bonkers level.

That's out of 7056 possible 1v1 matchups (84*84 - yes I'm including mirror matches, but I did so for simplicity), and the number quickly rises to 2 478 758 911 082 496 possible 8 player FFA combinations if my math's correct.

Speaking of MvC... Zero.

That's it, that's the post.

(Imagine Sakurai going like "I want to make characters asfaithful as possible in Smash. Which is why we had to make Zero broken, it would't be Zero in a crossover fighter if he wasn't broken.")
Think you're forgetting someone. The guy Dante called "King of the Cheap Moves" in Project X Zone 2:

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Pyra and Mythra are the new Bayonetta of Smash Ultimate.
(Already so broken and OP)

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Me in 2019: Honestly, I agree with Sakurai's choice of Incineroar over Decidueye. He could make Decidueye plenty unique, for sure, but we already have a winged archer with an edgy aesthetic. We didn't have anything based on wrestling, nor much in the way of a grappler archetype.

Me two years later when Decidueye is back on the table and there's a glitch involving the fighter that reminds me the most of him: Son of a--!

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Hold up. What's the new glitch? Because it seems like that we always get a new glitch and the next fighter is related to the glitch somehow. Does this have a name? If not, then maybe we should start calling it Glitch Theory, even though it's always tough narrowing it down to a small selection of characters due to the nature of such a wide pool of potential candidates who have similar attacks or mechanics involved in the glitch.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hold up. What's the new glitch? Because it seems like that we always get a new glitch and the next fighter is related to the glitch somehow. Does this have a name? If not, then maybe we should start calling it Glitch Theory, even though it's always tough narrowing it down to a small selection of characters due to the nature of such a wide pool of potential candidates who have similar attacks or mechanics involved in the glitch.
Iirc it's something to do with Pit's neutral b where the arrow gets stuck inside his hitbox

INB4 the next character is Pithree :4pacman:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I wouldn't read into it. We've had plenty of characters who've had random, unexplainable glitches, and nothing ever came out of them.

There was a glitch for Bayonetta prior to Min Min's reveal. Captain Falcon was used as the base for Min Min, and clearly Steve, Sephiroth, and Pyra/Mythra are nothing like Bayo. So why did Bayo have a new glitch? We might never know.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I mean so is :ultsamus::ultzss:and:ultzelda::ultsheik:
Yes an A. they were originally one character each. B None of them work better as a Boss. And C. Shouldn't have happened anyway.

Asking for playable Ganon is like asking for playable Safer Sephiroth.

Their character is already playable. But they want their "final form" to also be playable, even though it's already a boss. That's a **** move.

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Yes an A. they were originally one character each. B None of them work better as a Boss. And C. Shouldn't have happened anyway.

Their character is already playable. But they want their "final form" to also be playable, even though it's already a boss. That's a **** move.
people aren't asking for this though

they are asking for this

one is the final form of Ganondorf, the other is present instead of Ganondorf

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

You have seen OoT Ganon compared to LttP Ganon right? They are nowhere near the same thing.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
View attachment 306238

Ah, but according to the timeline, ALttP Ganon is still Ganondorf, it's just the timeline where he killed Link.

Timelines in Zelda are a *****, ain't they? :4pacman:
I meant the OOT Ganon is pretty much a powered up Dorf, whereas ALTTP Ganon just stays in that form

oh, and the Pokemon timeline makes the Zelda timeline look as simple as the Kirby timeline :4pacman:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace

Safer Sephiroth?

I hardly know her sephiroth.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
I meant the OOT Ganon is pretty much a powered up Dorf, whereas ALTTP Ganon just stays in that form

oh, and the Pokemon timeline makes the Zelda timeline look as simple as the Kirby timeline :4pacman:

i don't care if this is a joke, for the uneducated this is important.

Otoad64

Smash Lord

i don't care if this is a joke, for the uneducated this is important.
oh trust me, I know my Kirby lore. But the timeline itself, as in the placement of the games, is just a straight line, with every game coming after the other.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Do you guys think we're getting another first party or no? I can see the last two being one last big third party around E3 time and ending with a first party who's relatively popular but might be considered underwhelming.

Either way, I'm so happy with our first party picks!
fp.jpg

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Do you guys think we're getting another first party or no? I can see the last two being one last big third party around E3 time and ending with a first party who's relatively popular but might be considered underwhelming.

View attachment 306240
No clue, not a care in the world. I have never once cared about a character's relevancy to Nintendo, whether they're owned by them or have never once been on a Nintendo system whatsoever. If they're good, I'm good.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

View attachment 306240
Maybe? Smash tends to have cycles with promotional first-parties; Corrin, Incineroar, and now Byleth. Granted, Bayo was the last reveal, but Corrin was revealed in the same livestream and dropped in the same update. That being said, there aren't many major first-parties left to fill that niche; We already have ARMS and XC2, Astral Chain, Ring Fit Adventure, and Pokemon have been Spirited, and the Squid Sister Miis indicate that we won't be getting any big Splatoon packs. If we want to include third-party exclusives as well, BD2 got Spirited, Monster Hunter got Mii'd, and Arthur got both. It should also be noted that all the "promotional" characters had about half a year to a full year between their debut release and their DLC, so I doubt we'd be getting any BDSP Pokemon.

Given the promotional trends and the focus on the Switch's library, I think the best bet statistically would be Ayumi. The FDC remakes are coming out early enough for her the be introduced, and given that they were announced as far back as 2019, I'd imagine the original release date would've been early enough as well. That, and the fact that she was planned as far back as the original Smash 64, so she'd tie a nice bow on things-Though admittedly, that's not the most solid of points.

The other notable first-party would be Euden. Dragalia Lost is a decently major new Nintendo game, and their first original mobile IP to boot. Not quite part of the Switch's library, but it's worth keeping in mind. I expect we'll get something from that game in Smash, even if Euden's not a fighter. Or maybe he'll get Chrom'd by Midgardsormr or Mym like Rex and Spring Man

andree123

Smash Ace
I just wondered if anyone can make a height chart of Sakurai's figures of fighters in smash ultimate.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I’m pretty confident Pyra and Mythra are it for our 1st parties. Its just a premonition, but the last 2 being 3rd party just makes sense to me.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
When Fighter Pass 2 finishes, there's still a couple of missing characters that haven't got into Smash as a fighter yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom