• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The whole "hoes mad" or "salt" shtick is starting to feel forced in the case of Pyra and Mythra (the only time it really didn't feel forced is Byleth, whose reception was lukewarm at best.) It's kind of - uh -

View attachment 304423

You're drinking the tears of people that don't exist. These additions have been very well recieved.
Those people very much exist.

Just because things are generally well liked doesn't mean that there aren't a bunch of obnoxious and stupid people out there.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Let me just try and explain it a little better then...

Basically. There are Five Different Times we see Smash Characters Get Revealed.

1. The General Direct
Introduced Here: :ultcloud::ultisabelle::ultlucas::ultpyra::ult_terry:
Debatable: :ultminmin:ultinkling:

Characters you see revealed in General Directs are either First Party Characters or Family Friendly (Teen and Under) Heroic and Recognizable Third Party Picks.

2. The Smash Direct
Introduced Here: :ultbayonetta::ultbowserjr::ultcorrin::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultkrool::ultmewtwo::ultryu::ultroy::ultpiranha::ultchrom::ultken::ultdarksamus::ultsimon::ultrichter:
Debatable: :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultzss::ultsheik:

Characters revealed in Smash Directs tend to normally be somewhat darker and/or villainous characters, echoes, realistic characters, or B Tier First Party Characters.

3. E3 Directs
Introduced Here: :ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultpacman::ultpalutena::ultmiifighters::ultbanjokazooie::ulthero:
Debatable: :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsteve::ultdarkpit::ultsnake:

Originally I had forgotten about the Smash Wii U E3 Picks, but from what we have, there is a pattern. (Small Sample size, but E3's don't come often.) While Daisy, Wii Fit, and the Mii's are the generally accepted "Forgotten Picks" Of these Reveals. What we're left with is A Retro Characters Generally more popular in the West (:ultmegaman::ultbanjokazooie::ultpacman::ultridley:) Paired with a Modern Characters Generally more popular in the East (:ultvillager::ultinkling::ultpalutena::ulthero:).

It's not anything I feel confident in locking in, but from the limited Data we have. That does seem to be the working pattern. Of course that'll be different this time since we're probably only getting one reveal, but more on that later...

4. Solo Events: (I might be off on a few here)
Introduced Here: :ultbyleth::ultduckhunt::ultlittlemac::ultlucina::ultrobin::ultrosalina:
Debatable: :ultsteve:

These are basically the Wild Card Picks, they're mainly Smash's B Tier Characters: Fire Emblem, Old Retro Characters, Minor Mario Character. Steve of course is the massive outlier to this, but when you look at the possibility he was intended to be an E3 Reveal his situation makes more sense.

5. The Big Stage (VGA)
Introduced Here: :ultjoker::ultsephiroth:

Simply put, these are character reveals that appeal to those WAY Outside of Nintendo Circles, and more to the Casual Gamer at Large. But unless CP11 is a VGA Reveal, I doubt this will really matter.

So to sum things up.
- The Ridley Situation: Yes, he technically is an E3 Reveal, but if you look back on the 2018 Nintendo Direct. Roughly 60% of that was about Smash Ultimate, and I'd go as far to say that the reveals for everyone there counted as a Smash Direct. Unlike other characters at General Directs and E3's where they show the character and then move onto other games. Nintendo's 2018 E3 was Basically a Smash Direct. So that's why I'm counting Ridley in both categories.

- 2021 E3 Solo Reveal: Unlike the other E3's. We're probably just getting one character, and the big question is who? We have two distinct categories for what we're likely to see, but which one is it? Now like the rest of this post, this too is speculation, but I believe that Pyra/Mythra were the "Hero" of this year. They very much fit into the "Modern Character Generally More Popular in the East" Category, which leads me to assume that the E3 character will be the other side of the coin. The " Retro Characters Generally more popular in the West (:ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultbanjokazooie::ultridley:)" Category

Is it a bit too specific? Probably, but considering Leaks are hardly reliable. The way I'm going about things is looking at the patterns, and while its impossible to be like "The Last character was X, therefore the next character is Y". So I'm looking at the ways in which Nintendo Reveals their characters and looking for patterns there. Could very easily be proven wrong, but this is the theory I'm testing.
I kinda get and understand your way of thinking, but these seem like patterns where you have to jump through hoops to justify since you ignore critical outliers. Can we even still use data from the Smash 4 days now? We are closer to 2025 than we are to 2015 when Smash 4 finished. Using what they did 6 years ago to determine what they're doing now is exactly why we never saw some characters coming in my opinion.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Let me just try and explain it a little better then...

Basically. There are Five Different Times we see Smash Characters Get Revealed.

1. The General Direct
Introduced Here: :ultcloud::ultisabelle::ultlucas::ultpyra::ult_terry:
Debatable: :ultminmin:ultinkling:

Characters you see revealed in General Directs are either First Party Characters or Family Friendly (Teen and Under) Heroic and Recognizable Third Party Picks.

2. The Smash Direct
Introduced Here: :ultbayonetta::ultbowserjr::ultcorrin::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultkrool::ultmewtwo::ultryu::ultroy::ultpiranha::ultchrom::ultken::ultdarksamus::ultsimon::ultrichter:
Debatable: :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultzss::ultsheik:

Characters revealed in Smash Directs tend to normally be somewhat darker and/or villainous characters, echoes, realistic characters, or B Tier First Party Characters.

3. E3 Directs
Introduced Here: :ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultpacman::ultpalutena::ultmiifighters::ultbanjokazooie::ulthero:
Debatable: :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsteve::ultdarkpit::ultsnake:

Originally I had forgotten about the Smash Wii U E3 Picks, but from what we have, there is a pattern. (Small Sample size, but E3's don't come often.) While Daisy, Wii Fit, and the Mii's are the generally accepted "Forgotten Picks" Of these Reveals. What we're left with is A Retro Characters Generally more popular in the West (:ultmegaman::ultbanjokazooie::ultpacman::ultridley:) Paired with a Modern Characters Generally more popular in the East (:ultvillager::ultinkling::ultpalutena::ulthero:).

It's not anything I feel confident in locking in, but from the limited Data we have. That does seem to be the working pattern. Of course that'll be different this time since we're probably only getting one reveal, but more on that later...

4. Solo Events: (I might be off on a few here)

Introduced Here: :ultbyleth::ultduckhunt::ultlittlemac::ultlucina::ultrobin::ultrosalina:
Debatable: :ultsteve:

These are basically the Wild Card Picks, they're mainly Smash's B Tier Characters: Fire Emblem, Old Retro Characters, Minor Mario Character. Steve of course is the massive outlier to this, but when you look at the possibility he was intended to be an E3 Reveal his situation makes more sense.

5. The Big Stage (VGA)
Introduced Here: :ultjoker::ultsephiroth:

Simply put, these are character reveals that appeal to those WAY Outside of Nintendo Circles, and more to the Casual Gamer at Large. But unless CP11 is a VGA Reveal, I doubt this will really matter.

So to sum things up.
- The Ridley Situation: Yes, he technically is an E3 Reveal, but if you look back on the 2018 Nintendo Direct. Roughly 60% of that was about Smash Ultimate, and I'd go as far to say that the reveals for everyone there counted as a Smash Direct. Unlike other characters at General Directs and E3's where they show the character and then move onto other games. Nintendo's 2018 E3 was Basically a Smash Direct. So that's why I'm counting Ridley in both categories.

- 2021 E3 Solo Reveal: Unlike the other E3's. We're probably just getting one character, and the big question is who? We have two distinct categories for what we're likely to see, but which one is it? Now like the rest of this post, this too is speculation, but I believe that Pyra/Mythra were the "Hero" of this year. They very much fit into the "Modern Character Generally More Popular in the East" Category, which leads me to assume that the E3 character will be the other side of the coin. The " Retro Characters Generally more popular in the West (:ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultbanjokazooie::ultridley:)" Category

Is it a bit too specific? Probably, but considering Leaks are hardly reliable. The way I'm going about things is looking at the patterns, and while its impossible to be like "The Last character was X, therefore the next character is Y". So I'm looking at the ways in which Nintendo Reveals their characters and looking for patterns there. Could very easily be proven wrong, but this is the theory I'm testing.
Just a couple things to note.

1. I’m pretty sure Duck Hunt was revealed at a Nintendo Direct, I think it was alongside the game Duck Hunt being put on virtual console so yeah, as were Little Mac and Rosalina

2. It’s very possible that Nintendo was straight up not planning on showing up to E3 altogether last year, I recall there being a couple of rumors indicating such, and it very well may happen again. Either way, Min Min was the June announcement, assuming Nintendo was planning on being at E3, she likely would’ve been the E3 announcement.

Last edited:

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
There is only two Tropical Freeze tracks and some spirits, so I guess that is one avenue that Dixie has going for her. But hey, it’s safer to be skeptical and be proven wrong than the other way around.
Honestly, Dixie tying into Tropical Freeze would be a really great scenario in my view.
Not only is she a prominent character in the DKC franchise, but there is also a saddening lack of Tropical Freeze music and we lost our only Modern DK stage in Sm4sh; therefore, I think that there would be some redemption for not only DKC itself, but also one of the best games in the series (in my most humble opinion).

Yes, why add characters nobody knows like Steve and Sephiroth when you can add Geno from Super Mario RPG.

Honestly, Geno's whole situation of popularity is bizarre to me. How did a deuteragonist from a spinoff Mario game that came out more than a decade prior to Brawl manage to become one of the most requested characters in that era? I think his popularity rekindled for Ultimate due to the ballot, the Mii costume, and Ridley and K. Rool's inclusions, but how did he start becoming such a popular pick?
I think it definitely helped when Sakurai himself stated that he wanted Geno at one point as well, potentially reigniting the fire of hope for Geno fans up until now. Realistically speaking, however, there's a clear reason why someone like Sephiroth was chosen over a popularity-focused character like Geno. Perhaps the along the same lines of why characters like Cloud and Hero are in the game as well, and for any potential Square reps in the future who aren't Geno.

Smash Monkey

Banned via Warnings
Since you all were talking about E3.....
Nintendo hasn't said they are going to E3. Yeah, I know, they usually do, but this one is going to be weird, and probably not a lot of companies are going. Who want's to pay to have a two hour keynote when you can just do your own presentation on your time (so not 11AM PST). Nintendo and Square are probably thinking "Man, I can sleep in AND save money. Forget this bullocks".

Nintendo could still go to E3 and you can call me a big dumb idiot when they do, but it doesn't have to mean they have a super massive megaton third party character either. Nintendo showed off Palutena at the end of their E3 presentation in 2014, so a Splatoon or Zelda character will probably be alright by them. I think you all are getting your hopes up a bit too much on there being a banger character in the summer.
you mean Melia right

granted there is a Xenoblade character named Mia but she’s in X and uses a plasma cannon and I think a knife
Nah, I was talking about Mia, Reyn's girlfriend. Uhg, do you all even read the expanded lore.
(but nah, you're right. I meant Melia. Thanks for catching it)

Shroob

Sup?
Nintendo hasn't said they are going to E3. Yeah, I know, they usually do, but this one is going to be weird, and probably not a lot of companies are going. Who want's to pay to have a two hour keynote when you can just do your own presentation on your time (so not 11AM PST). Nintendo and Square are probably thinking "Man, I can sleep in AND save money. Forget this bullocks".

Nintendo could still go to E3 and you can call me a big dumb idiot when they do, but it doesn't have to mean they have a super massive megaton third party character either. Nintendo showed off Palutena at the end of their E3 presentation in 2014, so a Splatoon or Zelda character will probably be alright by them. I think you all are getting your hopes up a bit too much on there being a banger character in the summer.

Nah, I was talking about Mia, Reyn's girlfriend. Uhg, do you all even read the expanded lore.
Yeah, Nintendo probably isn't doing E3.

A June or early July Direct though with all the news that they would have shared at E3? That's more likely.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I will eat my shoes if Lora doesn't get a Mii costume this wave. Torna was an absolutely beautiful expansion to an already amazing game, and there's no way Sakurai doesn't bring it up when discussing Pyra and Mythra going solo. Also it would be a crime if we don't get the Torna battle theme because that is a BANGER. Then again so are all Xeno songs.
I completely agree. He will probably mention Torna at some point, but I'm not really sure if they would add a costume for Lora. People kinda forgets that Xenoblade 2 has a standalone expansion, which is in part natural due it's nature, but still.
I'd take anything to be honest.

I actually enjoyed Torna more than the main game, and for me Torna is the peak of Xenoblade so far.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Just a couple things to note.

1. I’m pretty sure Duck Hunt was revealed at a Nintendo Direct, I think it was alongside the game Duck Hunt being put on virtual console so yeah

2. It’s very possible that Nintendo was straight up not planning on showing up to E3 altogether last year, I recall there being a couple of rumors indicating such, and it very well may happen again. Either way, Min Min was the June announcement, assuming Nintendo was planning on being at E3, she likely would’ve been the E3 announcement.
I'd like to point out that Steve was probably an E3 reveal as well, or at least, he was going to be. It would match up with Hero and Banjo's dates; Double reveal at E3, one releases in Summer, the other releases in Fall. Plus, I kinda doubt Min Min could carry E3 on her own.
The Palutena reveal was an exception, not the norm. That direct had the Miis as the big reveal, as well as the amiibos. Customization was the main draw there.

Every other reveal has had a bit showstopper; Mega Man, Ryu, EVERYONE IS HERE + Ridley, Hero + Banjo and Kazooie. Chances are this year was planned to hold up the pattern, though whether or not that showstopper will actually be at E3 proper is up in the air.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Every other reveal has had a bit showstopper; Mega Man, Ryu, EVERYONE IS HERE + Ridley, Hero + Banjo and Kazooie. Chances are this year was planned to hold up the pattern, though whether or not that showstopper will actually be at E3 proper is up in the air.
This assumes the pass wasn’t orginally meant to end before June 2021 before being delayed due to COVID, which is a possibility.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Whatever E3 happens or not, Nintendo is likely to host a new direct by mid june revealing their august-december lineup and probably 1-2 new 2022 announcements (not counting new splatoon 3 or zelda botw 2 information). This will include a new smash character revealed.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to point out that Steve was probably an E3 reveal as well, or at least, he was going to be. It would match up with Hero and Banjo's dates; Double reveal at E3, one releases in Summer, the other releases in Fall. Plus, I kinda doubt Min Min could carry E3 on her own.
You're not wrong, but Min Min didn't necessarily need to carry E3 on her own... because there are other Nintendo announcements that would presumably be
there. It totally makes sense that Steve would've been an E3 reveal but at the end of the day, we have no way of knowing what Nintendo's intentions were. I just worry that we end up expecting a big and hype announcement for this June and then get disappointed when it is not that. After all, I doubt these characters were picked with an announcement timeline in mind, being earlier in the pass means you have a lot more freedom to move characters around, so maybe there aren't any big characters left? Just something to think about

Last edited:

RGFS

Smash Journeyman

Maybe. Though, they could pull an EA and just do their own thing around the same time. When it comes to speculating for fun to guess what we see, I think it matters to look at what Ultimate has done so far at that time.

E3 2019:
We got Hero from Dragon Quest, one huge series that sold over 81 million units. This was followed by Banjo-Kazooie, a platformer character that mainly appealed to non-Japanese Nintendo fans

E3 2020: Big R.I.P. for that event but during that window, it seems Min Min would've been the pick that mainly appealed to Nintendo fans (seemingly less popular than the sales I found for Banjo-Kazooie overall.). Meanwhile, Steve would've been the big character shown that appealed everywhere including Japan.

E3: 2021: When it comes to this pick for the Nintend-ish choice that appeals mainly outside of Japan, who better than Crash? Crash actually did pretty well in Japan in the old days but the recent games seem to just not be doing as well as the more huge success the classics had. Now, for the big choice that is popular in Japan like Hero and Steve but also has massive sales figures?? Well, I think you can add many characters here but I'm gonna keep championing my boys from the GTA series bringing in a unique gunner moveset. GTA V still does great in Japan and worldwide after many years. The game sold 140 million copies now, the second best-selling game of all time. The entire GTA series as a whole has sold around 320 million copies. In the second half of 2021 GTA is getting a port to new consoles, if it's like LA Noire's 2017 remasters, we're likely getting a Switch port too. I find it suspicious we still haven't seen a gunner character or at least a GTA Mii Costume yet. Like Hero and Steve, this character could disappoint and anger almost as many people as it excites, which makes it a bit more likely in my head.

Otoad64

Smash Lord

I think even if they aren't technically part of E3 this year they will still do something around E3 time and everyone will just lump it in with E3

Shroob

Sup?
Maybe. Though, they could pull an EA and just do their own thing around the same time. When it comes to speculating for fun to guess what we see, I think it matters to look at what Ultimate has done so far at that time.

E3 2019:
We got Hero from Dragon Quest, one huge series that sold over 81 million units. This was followed by Banjo-Kazooie, a platformer character that mainly appealed to non-Japanese Nintendo fans

E3 2020: Big R.I.P. for that event but during that window, it seems Min Min would've been the pick that mainly appealed to Nintendo fans (seemingly less popular than the sales I found for Banjo-Kazooie overall.). Meanwhile, Steve would've been the big character shown that appealed everywhere including Japan.

E3: 2021: When it comes to this pick for the Nintend-ish choice that appeals mainly outside of Japan, who better than Crash? Crash actually did pretty well in Japan in the old days but the recent games seem to just not be doing as well as the more huge success the classics had. Now, for the big choice that is popular in Japan like Hero and Steve but also has massive sales figures?? Well, I think you can add many characters here but I'm gonna keep championing my boys from the GTA series bringing in a unique gunner moveset. GTA V still does great in Japan and worldwide after many years. The game sold 140 million copies now, the second best-selling game of all time. The entire GTA series as a whole has sold around 320 million copies. In the second half of 2021 GTA is getting a port to new consoles, if it's like LA Noire's 2017 remasters, we're likely getting a Switch port too. I find it suspicious we still haven't seen a gunner character or at least a GTA Mii Costume yet. Like Hero and Steve, this character could disappoint and anger almost as many people as it excites, which makes it a bit more likely in my head.
I feel like if we're getting a gunner, and this is 100% tinfoil hat conspiracy with no basis in reality so bear with me here, but isn't it odd that you have Banjo and Steve, 2 Microsoft characters, both(supposedly) E3 drops?..... Master Chief?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
In name, Byleth. They're called the ashen demon sometimes.

I believe Byleth's named after a literary demon, too. I don't know much about it, though.
My god, Sakurai described them as a distance demon too, it all makes sense now!

Wait if Byleth is meant to be this demon doesn't that imply that they're against the church meaning Edelgard's route is the canon one?
I feel like if we're getting a gunner, and this is 100% tinfoil hat conspiracy with no basis in reality so bear with me here, but isn't it odd that you have Banjo and Steve, 2 Microsoft characters, both(supposedly) E3 drops?..... Master Chief?
No you buffoon we're getting Voodoo Vince next

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
honestly I still don't understand why Toad isn't in smash yet
Toad is weird. He deserves to be in, but other characters who would be more unique take priority. Toad doesn't have much to make Sakurai jump out of his chair and say "yes, let's do this".
Just one post?

Try not to stare at the pic for too long, it might start staring back at you (that's not even half of the whole thing)
Is this a crossover episode? CuterChincuhahua, quite possibly the most annoying Gamefaqs user, on Twitter, shown on Smashboards?

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Toad is weird. He deserves to be in, but other characters who would be more unique take priority. Toad doesn't have much to make Sakurai jump out of his chair and say "yes, let's do this".
maybe not normal Toad, but I imagine Sakurai might want to do Captain Toad for the challenge of developing a fighter that can't jump

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
The thing that makes Halo unlikely to me is that Master Chief is not popular at all in Japan. I don't see him in as a fighter to begin with. He doesn't really appeal to the Nintend-ish crowd to be part of the second line of characters for E3.

:ulthero::ultsteve:: Big Boyes (that are also well received in Japan)

:ultminmin:ultbanjokazooie:: Nintend-ish gang (that isn't really very popular in Japan)

My assumptions are big phat speculation too though so I have to stress that. So far though, that's where my confidence lies in how characters get chosen at E3. I'm not confident that we'll see two characters at E3 time that aren't that big in Japan. I'm not even confident we'll get two western characters next. I'm not even that confident that we'll get more than one character by E3 time. I'm not even confident Smash Ultimate is actually a thing...

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The thing that makes Halo unlikely to me is that Master Chief is not popular at all in Japan. I don't see him in as a fighter to begin with. He doesn't really appeal to the Nintend-ish crowd to be part of the second line of characters for E3.

:ultminmin:ultbanjokazooie:: Nintend-ish gang (that isn't really very popular in Japan)

My assumptions are big phat speculation too though so I have to stress that. So far though, that's where my confidence lies in how characters get chosen at E3. I'm not confident that we'll see two characters at E3 time that aren't that big in Japan. I'm not even confident we'll get two western characters next. I'm not even that confident that we'll get more than one character by E3 time. I'm not even confident Smash Ultimate is actually a thing...
Japan hating Min Min was because of her obnoxious toolkit that's seemingly made specifically to break their entire meta, don't think that counts

My god, Sakurai described them as a distance demon too, it all makes sense now!

Wait if Byleth is meant to be this demon doesn't that imply that they're against the church meaning Edelgard's route is the canon one?

No you buffoon we're getting Voodoo Vince next
The thing about that is Byleth isn't actually a demon. That's just a name people gave them for being emotionless.

They're also called the progenitor god, so make of that what you will.

Technically Byleth is half-human, half-homunculus with a transplant from a dragon.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
The thing that makes Halo unlikely to me is that Master Chief is not popular at all in Japan.
No. Halo does have a fanbase in Japan. I know because there was apparently outrage in regards to Halo 4 where the Japanese fanbase was pissed that they changed the voice actors, or at least, they changed Master Chief's seiyuu. So no, Master Chief does have a fanbase in Japan. How big, I'm not certain, but big enough that the voice actor reception was big enough to reach English websites.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

me when i statisically prove what characters can or cant get into smash bros by loosely "researching" their popularity levels right before they get into smash bros

happens every time :4pacman:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom