• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivander

Smash Legend
You ever just... see a Twitter post that fills you with pain and suffering?

Why am I still here? Just to suffer?

Anyway, potential first parties? Is this the part where I mention Euden again?
Wonder if it's from the same person who made that youtube video about how all the DLC characters suck.

As for how it fills me...

Last edited:

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400

Y'know Dragalia Lost is one of the few mobile games i'd like to give a try...IF ONLY THEY RELEASED IT IN GERMANY!

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Because most Jump fans are inexplicably satisfied with getting terrible arena fighters.
Most Jump fans I've seen who pay attention to the crossover games will tell you Jump Force sucks ass and the DS games kick the ever-loving **** out of it

Honestly this is what kinda frustrates me the most about Jump Force is not even the game itself, but the fact that it was the Jump game that got the most coverage and attention over the actually good ones, and now any potential future one is gonna have to carry the stigma of being "Jump Force 2" and provoke "oh it's like that bad anime game again" reactions from people and god ****ing dammit does it make me sad

kylexv

Smash Master

Yes, why add characters nobody knows like Steve and Sephiroth when you can add Geno from Super Mario RPG.

Honestly, Geno's whole situation of popularity is bizarre to me. How did a deuteragonist from a spinoff Mario game that came out more than a decade prior to Brawl manage to become one of the most requested characters in that era? I think his popularity rekindled for Ultimate due to the ballot, the Mii costume, and Ridley and K. Rool's inclusions, but how did he start becoming such a popular pick?

Shroob

Sup?
I think BotW2 is something to consider. I know it's sort of hard to support a specific character when there's so little we know, but I think a Zelda character would be a pretty hype addition for a lot of people.

Just depends on whether or not Nintendo would want a Zelda character badly enough to where they'd ask Sakurai to work with BotW2's development team so he could add it in time.
The issue I have with a potential 1st party pick now is, at the very least, we seem to see this MO in regards to 1st party picks.

Ignoring Plant for a second, since Plant is sorta the odd duck of DLC, 3/3 of our 1st Party Pass characters have been from Switch Titles, and assuming that DLC Spirit Events mean you're out, then that doesn't leave a whole lot of options. Astral Chain, Paper Mario, etc.

The only two games that really feel open are Pokemon and BotW2, and both have issues.

For Pokemon, the Spirit event doesn't do much for me, because if ANY series were to get preferential treatment, it'd be Pokemon, but at the same time, unless it's an extremely out of left field pick(Like say, Dracovish, which Ash actually got recently in the anime), it's a bit of a wet fart to end on, especially if D/P remakes get announced soon.

And BotW2... well, we don't know anything about it. We already have BotW Link, meaning our options are..... BotW Zelda, which Sakurai already turned down? On top of meaning that'd give us 3 Links, 3 Zeldas, and 1 Ganon in terms of representation? Considering BotW2 still seems a ways out, I seriously doubt we'll get Ganoncorpse as a rep.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm open to the possibility, but who would you suggest? I just have a hard time thinking of anyone who makes much sense at this point, especially with Nintendo's latest lineup of new games and IPs being particularly skim (and the likes of Astral Chain and Ring Fit having been spirited).

There's a Gen 8 Pokemon which is a bit of a polarizing discussion that I could go either way on, maybe a fan favorite like Bandana Dee and... Waluigi. I can't think of too much else beyond that but I'd love to be blindsided by a super cool out of nowhere first party.
A pretty risky pick, but maybe, just maybe, Ayumi. She was considered as far back as 64, making her the oldest dropped character to not be made a fighter yet. I don't believe we got a reason for why she was dropped in 64, but we do know she was dropped from Melee due to "Not being recognizable to Western audiences." Thing is, FDC is getting localized with the remakes in May, which circumvents that issue. In addition, the remakes were announced as far back as 2019, so they would presumably be released in the right timeframe for a promotional pick in advance without COVID.

With the seeming theme of tying up loose ends and the fact that FP2 is looking to be the last of Smash for a while, it's possible Ayumi could end up getting another shot to tie a bow on things. Still, as I said before, this is taking a rather large risk, and relies on what-ifs and a reasoning that might not cross the minds of Sakurai and the Nintendo devs. That, and like all new releases, FDC is prime Spirit fodder. But hey, Smash is all about risks, so I'm gonna take that chance.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Made the mistake of looking through Nintendo Twitter before the direct for old times sake. Remembered why I stopped doing so.

Funny story, the first post I saw on the direct tweet was... Asking for Rex. Wonder how that guy feels right now.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Yes, why add characters nobody knows like Steve and Sephiroth when you can add Geno from Super Mario RPG.

Honestly, Geno's whole situation of popularity is bizarre to me. How did a deuteragonist from a spinoff Mario game that came out more than a decade prior to Brawl manage to become one of the most requested characters in that era? I think his popularity rekindled for Ultimate due to the ballot, the Mii costume, and Ridley and K. Rool's inclusions, but how did he start becoming such a popular pick?
People really like SMRPG I guess. I agree that Geno is a completely unique and bizarre case for Smash fandom

A pretty risky pick, but maybe, just maybe, Ayumi. She was considered as far back as 64, making her the oldest dropped character to not be made a fighter yet. I don't believe we got a reason for why she was dropped in 64, but we do know she was dropped from Melee due to "Not being recognizable to Western audiences." Thing is, FDC is getting localized with the remakes in May, which circumvents that issue. In addition, the remakes were announced as far back as 2019, so they would presumably be released in the right timeframe for a promotional pick in advance without COVID.
With the seeming theme of tying up loose ends and the fact that FP2 is looking to be the last of Smash for a while, it's possible Ayumi could end up getting another shot to tie a bow on things. Still, as I said before, this is taking a rather large risk, and relies on what-ifs and a reasoning that might not cross the minds of Sakurai and the Nintendo devs. That, and like all new releases, FDC is prime Spirit fodder. But hey, Smash is all about risks, so I'm gonna take that chance.
If the reaction to Dragon Quest was bad here, I can only imagine how bad Famicom Detective Club will be (except for with Nintendo purists I guess, if they're still around). Not that I wouldn't be down for her, a murder mystery character in Smash sounds cool as heck.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

It's one of nature's many mysteries...
Oh that's just every day twitter then, no different from every day Smashboards

Aye, fair enough. drinks drink

(If I had a nickel for everytime I made that joke, I'd have two nickels. Which isn't a lot, but it's pretty weird that it's happened twice).

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
"Anime" stuff never really bothered me in Smash. It's always been a character by character type of deal. Really no different than western cartoon styles, there's enough variety in those styles. I like Toriyama's and Araki's styles for example. And for western comics, I really like Ryan Stegman's and Jim Lee's art, but not Rob Liefeld's or Erica Henderson's.

You could argue that Ryu and Terry are pretty damn anime depending on the game, but they look pretty cool if you ask me. Hell, Mega Man's one of my favorite series and that's got a lot of Astroboy and Casshern(might be spelling that wrong) influence.

Granted, XBC2's artstyle isn't my cup of tea when talking about its main cast. Even then, until I see more of the moveset, I think the character(s) seem alright.

I get there's some overlap between guys like Marth, Shulk and Joker, but they still look distinct enough from one another.

But if you want COOL anime characters, then Mega Man X or Sol or Dante would be good choices.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
The whole "hoes mad" or "salt" shtick is starting to feel forced in the case of Pyra and Mythra (the only time it really didn't feel forced is Byleth, whose reception was lukewarm at best.) It's kind of - uh -

1613940413827.png

You're drinking the tears of people that don't exist. These additions have been very well recieved.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace

Honestly the comment about Geno and the reply about having only jrpgs that copy Persona 5 makes me think that this twitter post is ironic and meant to take the p*ss out of smash fans.
It's just hits too many bad smash fan stereotypes to not be intentional.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord

Just one post?

1613737833930.jpg

Try not to stare at the pic for too long, it might start staring back at you (that's not even half of the whole thing)

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Honestly the comment about Geno and the reply about having only jrpgs that copy Persona 5 makes me think that this twitter post is ironic and meant to take the p*ss out of smash fans.
It's just hits too many bad smash fan stereotypes to not be intentional.
What really makes it funny is the disjointed, misaligned text in blocks makes me think of the DK EXPAND memes and that instantly propels it into top-tier comedy.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'm open to the possibility, but who would you suggest? I just have a hard time thinking of anyone who makes much sense at this point, especially with Nintendo's latest lineup of new games and IPs being particularly skim (and the likes of Astral Chain and Ring Fit having been spirited).

There's a Gen 8 Pokemon which is a bit of a polarizing discussion that I could go either way on, maybe a fan favorite like Bandana Dee and... Waluigi. I can't think of too much else beyond that but I'd love to be blindsided by a super cool out of nowhere first party.
You forgot Dixie.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Were they satisfied though? I thought everyone said the game looked (and played) like ****.
Yeah, but they WERE satisfied with crap like Xenoverse, Ultimate Ninja Storm, One's Justice, etc. Which look better, but play just as ****ily.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
The whole "hoes mad" or "salt" shtick is starting to feel forced in the case of Pyra and Mythra (the only time it really didn't feel forced is Byleth, whose reception was lukewarm at best.) It's kind of - uh -

View attachment 304423
Assuming the "hoes mad"/"salt" shtick wasn't feeling forced at all, after Incineroar, Joker, Hero, Terry, Byleth and Steve respectively. Seriously, it's tiring at this point, but you can't really stop them when you have almost the same amount of people losing their stuff over the characters getting in like that one twitter post.

That said, it's nice when you find a couple gold posts/images in the salt hill.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah, but they WERE satisfied with crap like Xenoverse, Ultimate Ninja Storm, One's Justice, etc. Which look better, but play just as ****ily.
I mean, Xenoverse's customization levels are absurd and the Ninja Storm series has often been stated of being the best way to enjoy Naruto instead of reading the manga or watching the anime due to pacing improvements and presentation.

One's Justice is just crap though lmao they didn't even dub it or add subtitles for the character interactions

Shroob

Sup?
Assuming the "hoes mad"/"salt" shtick wasn't feeling forced at all, after Incineroar, Joker, Hero, Terry, Byleth and Steve respectively. Seriously, it's tiring at this point, but you can't really stop them when you have almost the same amount of people losing their stuff over the characters getting in like that one twitter post.

That said, it's nice when you find a couple gold posts/images in the salt hill.
"They've got swords!"

"You idiot, we ALL got swords!"

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU

View attachment 304423

You're drinking the tears of people that don't exist. These additions have been very well recieved.
I still remember when a wide selection of people on Twitter all of a sudden started making fun of Bandana Dee fans for three straight days specifically because they were apparently the only ones who didn't like Sephiroth and thought that Bandana Dee was cooler than him. (When in reality, I only saw a few, insignificant posts sprinkled here and there). So help me if someone tried to pull that for Pyra/Mythra as well for whatever reason.

I just want to hope for my character in peace without people making blind or meaningless assumptions, man.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
You forgot Dixie.
I didn't forget Dixie, I just think it's extremely unlikely that we'll get additional DKC content at this stage with K. Rool already supplying a good amount of it and fellow Rareware icon Banjo having gotten into FP1. I feel like priorities would be elsewhere so I don't see her as much of a possibility rn.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Hey guys, we will interrupt your daily speculation to remind you that this happened

View attachment 304427

So that's why smash deserves to give Chunners a shot. Or else she will shoot back /s
Not that it needs reiterating due to the countless crossover appearances Chun-Li already have, but this is yet another indication of how important she is to Capcom. Even Ken doesn’t get nearly this great amount of crossover love.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Most Jump fans I've seen who pay attention to the crossover games will tell you Jump Force sucks ass and the DS games kick the ever-loving **** out of it

Honestly this is what kinda frustrates me the most about Jump Force is not even the game itself, but the fact that it was the Jump game that got the most coverage and attention over the actually good ones, and now any potential future one is gonna have to carry the stigma of being "Jump Force 2" and provoke "oh it's like that bad anime game again" reactions from people and god ****ing dammit does it make me sad
The DS games were fun as hell. Give me a sequel with Ultimate Gohan and either Josuke and I'm set.

His popularity does kind of baffle me. He's not particularly interesting, and there's plenty of cooler looking characters in the larger scope of gaming. Like, I don't hate the dude either, but I'm typically filled with apathy towards him at best, and annoyance at a few of his fans at worst. Would it be rude to say he's far more of a "Meme Character" than Steve Minecraft and Waluigi?

Then again, most popular franchises have "that" character. Someone that's really unimportant in the grand scheme of things, but people gravitate towards for some reason. Launch from Dragon Ball's a good example too I think.

View attachment 304423

For the most part. Obviously not every character is gonna be unanimously loved. Hell, even Hero and Banjo's got hating ass ****** on their case. Maybe its because I see more people getting mad at people getting mad at anime swords(though I still see both, to be clear.), don't know. But I think only Byleth was Real Sad Hours for a noticeable amount of people.

But people love being spiteful, even towards a smaller group. Maybe getting stuff out of spite is super hype or something. I dunno.

I guess in my case, most characters that I don't like mostly give me a feeling of utter apathy. Which I think Joker, Byleth and Steve fall into. But Hero, Banjo and Min-Min are pretty neat. Sephiroth is kind of cool. And Terry's still the G.O.A.T. of DLC for me.

Kind of hard to be mad when the game has a lot of cool stuff as it is.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I didn't forget Dixie, I just think it's extremely unlikely that we'll get additional DKC content at this stage with K. Rool already supplying a good amount of it and fellow Rareware icon Banjo having gotten into FP1. I feel like priorities would be elsewhere so I don't see her as much of a possibility rn.
There is only two Tropical Freeze tracks and some spirits, so I guess that is one avenue that Dixie has going for her. But hey, it’s safer to be skeptical and be proven wrong than the other way around.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
His popularity does kind of baffle me. He's not particularly interesting, and there's plenty of cooler looking characters in the larger scope of gaming. Like, I don't hate the dude either, but I'm typically filled with apathy towards him at best, and annoyance at a few of his fans at worst. Would it be rude to say he's far more of a "Meme Character" than Steve Minecraft and Waluigi?

Then again, most popular franchises have "that" character. Someone that's really unimportant in the grand scheme of things, but people gravitate towards for some reason. Launch from Dragon Ball's a good example too I think.
People have a lot of nostalgia for SMRPG and that manifests as a desire for playable representation in the form of Geno. It's really as simple as that.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I’m not honey, I’m blue fire.
This likely sounded better in your head

Or we can discuss Fortnite again...
I think a Fortnite character is inevitable...for the next Smash...if the next Smash continues off what Ultimate built instead of starting over. It's similar to Minecraft, but has a much smaller legacy as of now. In a few years, it'll likely be considered the "next" Minecraft in terms of being a hugely popular game that mainly draws on a young audience.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

View attachment 304423

ladies and gentlemen: the "twitter smash fans don't make a "haha salt drinking tears" meme for every goddamn new character that's directed towards a too-small-to-matter group of angry people for 5 ****ing minutes" challenge

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

From what I can gather, it went something like this:
  • Geno debuts in SMRPG and becomes a hit for being one of the few legitimate "badass" archetypes in a Nintendo game
  • His popularity is sustained by a remix of Beware the Forest's Mushrooms, I think...?
  • He drops off a little, then rebounds after the ballot and base game Ultimate developments, as you mentioned
Though, it does feel like he's become more of a Smash character than a Mario character now, at least in terms of speculation.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
You're moving goalposts here. Your first point was that those franchises weren't very family friendly, but when people gave you Ridley killing Mario and Mega Man you move it to that he's Nintendo and gets a pass ignoring the counterpoint, and now you're hyperfocusing on it being exclusively an E3 problem, despite that event having no problems showcasing darker games (hell, the RE ports were a part of the same Nintendo presentation that showcased Hero and Banjo).

In the end, you're not answering the question and you're trying to gatekeep on characters using issues that were never a problem in the first place.
Let me just try and explain it a little better then...

Basically. There are Five Different Times we see Smash Characters Get Revealed.

1. The General Direct
Introduced Here: :ultcloud::ultisabelle::ultlucas::ultpyra::ult_terry: :ultrosalina: :ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt:
Debatable: :ultminmin:ultinkling:

Characters you see revealed in General Directs are either First Party Characters or Family Friendly (Teen and Under) Heroic and Recognizable Third Party Picks.

2. The Smash Direct
Introduced Here: :ultbayonetta::ultbowserjr::ultcorrin::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultkrool::ultmewtwo::ultryu::ultroy::ultpiranha::ultchrom::ultken::ultdarksamus::ultsimon::ultrichter:
Debatable: :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultzss::ultsheik:

Characters revealed in Smash Directs tend to normally be somewhat darker and/or villainous characters, echoes, realistic characters, or B Tier First Party Characters.

3. E3 Directs
Introduced Here: :ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultpacman::ultpalutena::ultmiifighters::ultbanjokazooie::ulthero:
Debatable: :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsteve::ultdarkpit::ultsnake:

Originally I had forgotten about the Smash Wii U E3 Picks, but from what we have, there is a pattern. (Small Sample size, but E3's don't come often.) While Daisy, Wii Fit, and the Mii's are the generally accepted "Forgotten Picks" Of these Reveals. What we're left with is A Retro Characters Generally more popular in the West (:ultmegaman::ultbanjokazooie::ultpacman::ultridley:) Paired with a Modern Characters Generally more popular in the East (:ultvillager::ultinkling::ultpalutena::ulthero:).

It's not anything I feel confident in locking in, but from the limited Data we have. That does seem to be the working pattern. Of course that'll be different this time since we're probably only getting one reveal, but more on that later...

4. Solo Events: (Edited)
Introduced Here: :ultbyleth::ultlucina::ultrobin:
Debatable: :ultsteve::ultfalcon:

Now that I've corrected this... Well Solo Events tend to be mainly for Fire Emblem. Simple as that.

5. The Big Stage (VGA)
Introduced Here: :ultjoker::ultsephiroth:

Simply put, these are character reveals that appeal to those WAY Outside of Nintendo Circles, and more to the Casual Gamer at Large. But unless CP11 is a VGA Reveal, I doubt this will really matter.

So to sum things up.
- The Ridley Situation: Yes, he technically is an E3 Reveal, but if you look back on the 2018 Nintendo Direct. Roughly 60% of that was about Smash Ultimate, and I'd go as far to say that the reveals for everyone there counted as a Smash Direct. Unlike other characters at General Directs and E3's where they show the character and then move onto other games. Nintendo's 2018 E3 was Basically a Smash Direct. So that's why I'm counting Ridley in both categories.

- 2021 E3 Solo Reveal: Unlike the other E3's. We're probably just getting one character, and the big question is who? We have two distinct categories for what we're likely to see, but which one is it? Now like the rest of this post, this too is speculation, but I believe that Pyra/Mythra were the "Hero" of this year. They very much fit into the "Modern Character Generally More Popular in the East" Category, which leads me to assume that the E3 character will be the other side of the coin. The " Retro Characters Generally more popular in the West (:ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultbanjokazooie::ultridley:)" Category

Is it a bit too specific? Probably, but considering Leaks are hardly reliable. The way I'm going about things is looking at the patterns, and while its impossible to be like "The Last character was X, therefore the next character is Y". So I'm looking at the ways in which Nintendo Reveals their characters and looking for patterns there. Could very easily be proven wrong, but this is the theory I'm testing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom