• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Anyway, newer Mii predictions for this pack:
  • Mecha-Fiora
  • Lora
  • Zeke
  • Both Monster Hunter Miis
  • Hollow Knight (w/Sealed Vessel remix)
Oh man Mii Costume predictions. Guess it's time to post mine:

-Gramps Hat
-Kunio
-Both Monster Hunter Costumes
-Lloyd
-Hollow Knight

3 new items and both costumes return which will guarantee the last 2 characters will come with only new Mii Costumes.

D

Deleted member

I will eat my shoes if Lora doesn't get a Mii costume this wave. Torna was an absolutely beautiful expansion to an already amazing game, and there's no way Sakurai doesn't bring it up when discussing Pyra and Mythra going solo. Also it would be a crime if we don't get the Torna battle theme because that is a BANGER. Then again so are all Xeno songs.

I.D.

Smash Lord
I will eat my shoes if Lora doesn't get a Mii costume this wave. Torna was an absolutely beautiful expansion to an already amazing game, and there's no way Sakurai doesn't bring it up when discussing Pyra and Mythra going solo. Also it would be a crime if we don't get the Torna battle theme because that is a BANGER. Then again so are all Xeno songs.
I'd be wary of predicting too many Xenoblade costumes considering Min Min only came with one ARMS costume. Torna battle theme I'd say is almost guaranteed since Mythra uses at least one move from Torna.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Given how popular Pyra and Mythra are I wonder if this’ll boost sales of this pass even further than Steve and Sephiroth have. Who knows pass 2 may even outsell pass 1.

you think so?
I would say the inverse.
I think Pyra and Mythra's inclusion in Smash Ultimate would see a boost in sales for Xenoblade 2.
We saw this happen to the original Xenoblade Chronicles (and later Definitive Edition) with Shulk's inclusion to Smash 4.

7NATOR

Smash Master

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
Here, my mii prediction:

• Addam, if Rex is a costume, so should Addam. That way, the driver for both Pyra and Mythra are costumes.
  • Cross or Elma
  • Xeno characters like KOS-MOS or Fei Fong Wong
  • Raymond Bryce
  • Returning costumes like Monster Hunter or Lloyd
  • Third party or indie party. I guess Reiji Arisu (Namco x Capcom) or Lea (Crosscode)

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I would say the inverse.
I think Pyra and Mythra's inclusion in Smash Ultimate would see a boost in sales for Xenoblade 2.
We saw this happen to the original Xenoblade Chronicles (and later Definitive Edition) with Shulk's inclusion to Smash 4.
XC2 jumped straight to like #40 on Amazon Japan's video game top 100 after the reveal after not being there for, well, quite a while. Now it's gone though, sold out maybe? (see above)

Sadly ARMS didn't seem to get a similar boost after Min Min, then again, JRPG's are more up Japan's alley anyway.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

It's already happening
It may be due to them not restocking the game in a while though, which could've given scalpers an extra incentive.

In terms of direct sales, I don't think XC2 will see a huge spike. Both 3H and ARMS were hardly effected by Smash, so I think this will probably be more of the same. I'd assume the next XC game will rake in the benefits of Pyra being in Smash more than XC2 will.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I would say the inverse.
Yeah, this. I’ve seen plenty of tweets from people as well talking about how they’re going check out XC2 now.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Costume predictions for the Pyra/Mythra Direct:
  • Elma
  • KOS-MOS
  • A Xenoblade 1 costume (probably Melia)
  • Lloyd or Monster Hunter (leaning towards MH since it'd be a great shoe-in for Rise which releases in March)
  • A new deluxe costume. I don't think it'll be Xenoblade related but if it is I'm guessing Poppi gunner.
  • Honorable mentions: Lora, Jin, and Malos
Personal wants: Morag, Brighid, deluxe Poppi costume, Lora, Sharla. Any of those costumes will do.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The possibility of us not getting a Terry-esque character is beginning to sink in for me. It's funny, because Rex (XC2 in general, really), was part of my predictions before then, and I was holding out for more niche picks back then too. Admittedly, those predictions were rather biased; I had that feeling we'd get a big pick for E3, but never actually thought of one.

Based on past precedent, we're likely to get a big showstopper at E3 and a "boring" pick from a recent Switch release, which leaves no room for a Terry-level character. Furthermore, Terry is the only character of his level; The other more niche characters (:ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ultbanjokazooie:) had something going for them that got them through, be it Nintendo promotion, recent success, or insane popularity. There's a very real possibility that Terry is just a one-off occurrence, and that... Really sucks, because my most wanteds, Adol and Reimu, fit squarely into the category of Terry-tier picks.

So this is what reality feels like

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
The possibility of us not getting a Terry-esque character is beginning to sink in for me. It's funny, because Rex (XC2 in general, really), was part of my predictions before then, and I was holding out for more niche picks back then too. Admittedly, those predictions were rather biased; I had that feeling we'd get a big pick for E3, but never actually thought of one.

Based on past precedent, we're likely to get a big showstopper at E3 and a "boring" pick from a recent Switch release, which leaves no room for a Terry-level character. Furthermore, Terry is the only character of his level; The other more niche characters (:ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ultbanjokazooie:) had something going for them that got them through, be it Nintendo promotion, recent success, or insane popularity. There's a very real possibility that Terry is just a one-off occurrence, and that... Really sucks, because my most wanteds, Adol and Reimu, fit squarely into the category of Terry-tier picks.

If it makes you feel better, they could always have the Terry-esque character at E3. Remember, they thought Palutena was E3-worthy...

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
If it makes you feel better, they could always have the Terry-esque character at E3. Remember, they thought Palutena was E3-worthy...
And Pac-Man was revealed behind closed doors.

Based on past precedent, we're likely to get a big showstopper at E3 and a "boring" pick from a recent Switch release
What actual first-party picks from recent Switch titles do we have left? Most of them seem either extremely unlikely given Mii costume situations or disconfirmed due to spirit events.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Fair point there lol, but there was a big divide between the FGC and DBZ, the latter was used to games with rosters in the 100s iirc. So imagine if you get a community used to say, 30 characters on launch going to 15. Remember, BBTag and MVCI were always under heavy fire for launching with 20 characters
Maybe.

Personally, I'd rather a game launch with an underwhelming roster, and eventually build up to an acceptable size, while looking incredible...than launch with an acceptable roster size, while looking like crap.

You can improve a game's roster size after launch. You can't really change it's visual style.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Personally

I Expect the last 2 characters to both be 3rd party

I would say it's suggested that most of the Potential 1st party picks are implied to not be happening

-Pokemon had the Spirit event and Team Rocket Mii costume (added in same wave where Extra DLC was announced), of course Pokemon is usually considered an exception, and it was interesting it was the only Spirit event that was added around the actual release of the game, but still

-Zelda is implied to not happen, with Ancient Armor bonus costume and Age of Calamity Spirit event

-Astral Chain and Ring Fit got Spirit Events

-Paper Mario got more Spirits through new Spirit events

-Metroid, Donkey Kong, and Mario (along with Pokemon) all already got 1 Unique Newcomer already. Granted it's not impossible of course, but something to consider. Also Mario being revealed around this time would have been great for anniversary, but even then It's not out of the realm where we could get something like Waluigi at E3

-Kirby is possibility

-Other franchises like Golden Sun and Rhythm Heaven are not relevant to the Switch and are currently out of Commission. even if there was a New game planned (like how Famicom Detective Club is getting Remake) I doubt a DLC Fighter simply because they haven't been proven to be success yet (which is opposite of Fire Emblem, and why they keep getting DLC Fighter slots)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
That was a bit of an exception; Remember, she was revealed alongside the Miis. That E3 had a theme going on with customization, what was a decently large part of 4, I think. SSBU doesn't have that, just the packs.
Assuming we're discounting Mario reps after the big tournament, I think the only really big Switch releases around now are Monster Hunter Rise and the Famicom Detective Club remakes. Maybe that Kirby game from the KF2 files, but that's still up in the air. I suppose you could count Dragalia too if you stretch it enough, considering how it's an ongoing, regularly updated game that has absolutely nothing so far.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Assuming we're discounting Mario reps after the big tournament, I think the only really big Switch releases around now are Monster Hunter Rise and the Famicom Detective Club remakes. Maybe that Kirby game from the KF2 files, but that's still up in the air. I suppose you could count Dragalia too if you stretch it enough, considering how it's an ongoing, regularly updated game that has absolutely nothing so far.
You forgot Luigi’s Mansion 3, DKC Tropical Freeze and Kirby Star Allies as prominent successful first-party titles.

Last edited:

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
Palutena is also a Nintendo Character. I think its possible but unlikely that they do a Terry-esque 1st Party Character. But for a 3rd Party Pick. Given what we've seen... Seems very unlikely.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Maybe.

Personally, I'd rather a game launch with an underwhelming roster, and eventually build up to an acceptable size, while looking incredible...than launch with an acceptable roster size, while looking like crap.

You can improve a game's roster size after launch. You can't really change it's visual style.
Ngl this is kinda funny considering how KoF14 kinda just... did patch the game's look up after everyone agreed it initially looked like crap

Pillow

Smash Lord
I can mention names as one guy legit had Stefan Molyneaux as an avatar here but I know mods wouldn't be happy if I did that, especially as some aren't banned. It's a disturbing overlap that happens too much to be a coincidence.

Joker was mostly warmly received like literally every other character, but you still saw "HOW DARE THEY ADD THIS ANIME FILTHY" a lot, and what a surprise, people I've seen on this site, discord servers and twitter who are white supremacists just so happened to throw fits and Joker being an anime swordsman
While I'm sure there exists people like who you describe, I haven't personally witnessed any here, and it's a very small minority among those who are tired of seeing anime swordsman. Disliking a particular art style does not make one a white supremacist. Making hyperbolic descriptions about people criticizing certain types of character does not really help the situation.

You can have different art styles, while using the same graphical methods. Guilty Gear and Dragon Ball FighterZ don't have the same art style, but they both use the same ArcSys techniques to look incredible.
KoF and SamSho were always very anime-styled games in the past. Street Fighter has been anime off and on over the years. There's no reason they shouldn't be adopting this to try and be the best looking games they can be.

Like, all I want from SF6 is for them to make a game that looks just like the SF2 Anime movie...
Seeing this talk just reminds me of how horrifically ugly that Jump crossover fighting game looks. Like how is it the anime crossover fighting game decided to go with this ugly ass 3D style instead of good looking 2D style look that shares a genre with its entire cast of characters? Unbelievable

D

Deleted member

Pac-Man of all characters was shown behind the scenes at E3. Just because there’s a big event doesn’t mean there’s gonna be a big character shown off.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

I don't necessarily think that the Pass has to end on a 1st party from a recent Switch release. FP1 has no bearings on what characters FP2 will have.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I’m not sure this point really matters.
It's just a pattern I noticed

No franchise in Ultimate currently got 2 or More Unique characters. If a Franchise got more than 1 character, than it was with an Echo Fighter or in Mythra's case, as part of a transformation deal

Of Course like with all patterns it could be easily broken. In terms of the actual logic of the proposed pattern, there's ways to look at it

I don't think they would throw away a character like Waluigi or Geno, or something like a Gen 8 Pokemon just for the reason that those franchises got a New character in the game already. Of course with many franchises represented in Smash already, with their own audiences and such, you got to find the balance in terms of the Newcomers. They might find it more substansial to give something like Xenoblade a Newcomer in this DLC, than something like more content for Mario, since Mario did already got appealed to in Base roster compared to Xenoblade

Of course that's just speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom