• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
The one year anniversary of these reveals.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Byleth Reveal Trailer - YouTube
Byleth Recruits ...Byleth! by CherryR95 on DeviantArt

For all the controversy it may have gotten, it was, however, the last reveal we got before everything went into lockdown hell. I can't deny I at least have some nostalgia for those precious first few months of 2020 before everyone's non-online social life went to sh**. They were technically the last DLC characters that we got to experience at large in person Smash gatherings too.
And a year later, they're still one of my more favorite reveals.

I'm one of those people who loved everything about how they were revealed. :p

SKX31

Smash Master
Somewhat curiously looking forward to it, I have kind of always heard about MOBAS before on PC and in recent years Mobile and wondered what the big deal it is with them, But I have always been a console gamer and personally don't find the popular ones you always hear about appealing from a setting and style stand point.

But If it has Pokemon in it, Then you got my attention.
A large reason why the genre got so big is that MOBAs are typically really good social games. Akin to say a group of friends deciding to do a MMO raid, except with the competition element of other human players involved. Since a MOBA match is generally up to an hour, it's also easy to "pop in, get into a match, pop out" - even as there's inherent variability to how long a game lasts. MOBAs also typically come with at least one side mode (Dota 2's gone as far as adding a custom scenario creator), which is partly due to the main map being the standard.

Now, there are potential downsides to it of course like rage and troll-related issues (as any online game suffers from) - MOBAs arguably suffer more from it because of the team setup and how a big mistake can start - or continue - a snowball.

Mobile MOBA matches are typically shorter to account for the portable nature (10 - 15 mins IIRC is common), and Unite will seemingly have a time limit since it's not "Destroy the opponents' towers and base before they destroy yours" but is focused around control points. Those two factors should reduce the above mentioned downsides in Unite's case.

And hilariously enough given the dead silence from people at Nintendo New York store, the one that ended up likely being the most anti-climatic DLC character (barring maybe Plant) in Ultimate.

Honestly a year later, my feelings haven't really changed. Byleth is fairly enjoyable fighter to play as, but I still maintain they did everything wrong with their reveal; from the dubious placement as the last in the first pass, the lack of notable Smash news besides their showcase, the poorly paced trailer, and the unfortunate choice to make them them a mystery reveal, thus making the news fall even flatter for many that it would have done otherwise.

In the long term they're a solid addition in Smash, but given how badly the execution of their reveal was, it serves as the most prominent example in how not to show off a character. The one upside is that its unlikely any future fighter will ever get receive that level of antipathy, if only because enough fans learned from this to keep expectations in check.
You know what?

I've come around to the idea that Byleth should've had Divine Pulse or something else. If only because (s)he'd have something more unique to stand out and perhaps wouldn't have as strong of a focus on "BIG MOVES" (it feels like half of Byleth's moveset is that).

I can understand if they thought it was too much work to include though (especially the time stop aspect - which would've likely been extended parry or whatever). But if it was an extended parry it would have expanded on a heavily under-utilized mechanic (the parry system didn't work as intended until 9.0):

Prior to update 9.0.0, perfect shielding's advantage against both direct and indirect projectiles was 3 frames lower, so that the user could act 11 and 2 frames later (respectively) than shielding them normally, making it less effective against camping. Although update 3.0.0 allegedly increased these advantages to match the current versions, which was (vaguely) documented on Nintendo's official patch notes, it was discovered nearly a year after the update that these changes only applied to Training mode, and were thus irrelevant in competitive play; it was not until 9.0.0 that they applied to every game mode.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
French amiibo shipment quantity
Joker: 10000 units
Hero: 8000 units
Banjo: 12000 units
Terry: 8000 units
Byleth: 8000 units
Let's go Banjo, guh-huh on em with your irrelevance

Ivander

Smash Legend
Also, what series are there in which the villain is bigger than the hero? I can only think of SC.
-I guess for Monster Hunter, the monsters themselves tend to be more noteworthy then the hunters themselves, but that depends on whether you look at the monsters as villains or just, you know, territorial beasts.
-Tekken could be considered. Heihachi and Kazuya are often the main faces of the series.
-Valkyria could be considered, as Selvaria tends to get alot of attention compared to the protagonists. But I don't know much about her role in other games aside from the first one.
-GLADOS from Portal may be one, considering the first game was practically all about you trying to survive her and I don't think Chell herself got any big attention until Portal 2.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

It seems in this case that the power of pretty anime people couldn’t stand up to the power of cartoon animals. :p

Jokes aside, this is pretty interesting.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Despite the fact that after the reveal, I kinda determined that I thought Byleth was a buns character pick, I couldn't help but basically laugh the entire trailer. I think their reveal overall would have been something people might have been more excited for had Ultimate not gotten Chrom in basegame but 4's DLC also didn't consist of Corrin. I can't say it didn't frustrate me a bit since Xenoblade is an up and coming franchise and Zelda could use a little boost with a non Triforce trinity character but yet Nintendo went for the whipsword axelancebow man. It's all context really, I can't blame people.

It's why I loved Sephiroth because it gave love to Final Fantasy who only had one character and my mantra is that generally big games having 2 fighters is great because if you love the series, it's even better to have a choice between which character you want to play.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
In SwSh's case, the Spirit event could've been made for the sole purpose of promoting the launch of the games so they didn't have to wait a long time before the relevant content was ready. Even if they waited until the release of the character, June would've been the absolute earliest they could've released them. Realistically though, it probably would've much later.

Plus, there's nothing stopping them from recycling the existing Spirits like they did with some of ARMS' Spirits.
I don't think they'd care that much about promoting the release date considering it's Pokemon, everybody's gonna know about there being a new game. Not to mention, every other Spirit Event has been far from its respective game's release so clearly it isn't a priority. November to June isn't that long a period of time to wait, it's, what, two months more than Three Houses to Byleth in Smash? And that's without getting into speculation on potential COVID complications, the peculiarities of Min Min's moveset in particular, and the effect of E3 2020's early cancellation, which could push a hypothetical release either way.

Tl;dr they could totally have made a Pokemon FP6, and it makes little sense to have it be FP9-11 if the goal is to promote Sword and Shield in a timely manner

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Alright, Amaterasu is done! I actually did the normals first this time, but I think it might have been fore the worse since without a visual, I think going over the Specials first better helps give context to the character's playstyle. Oh well, I'll keep that in mind for later. I'll probably cool it on the essays for a bit though. I've been on the computer a lot and now my fingers hurt sometimes.

Amaterasu is the goddess of the sun, and mother of all of the Celestial Brush Gods. In her past life as Shiranui, she aided the legendary warrior Nagi in killing the 8 headed beast known as Orochi. After Orochi was released from its resting place due to ignorance, Amaterasu was called upon to help defeat it once more, and cleanse the land. However, that is not where her story ends, as Orochi’s second death unleashed even more evils upon the world.

In Super Smash Bros., Amaterasu is an agile fighter who wields three Divine Instruments alongside her Celestial Brush techniques in order to overwhelm her opponents.

Amaterasu’s bread and butter comes from her first Divine Instrument, the Divine Retribution. The reflector grants her swift attacks that often either combo natively, or into other attacks. However, the range they offer is sub-par compared to the other weapons.

Her Neutral Attack is a 5 hit combo with the reflector, which is much more than what most Neutral Attacks have. She also advances slightly with each hit, so she can use this attack to pressure her opponents. You do have to be careful when using it though, as she is left wide open when the attack ends, and the attacks are spaced out enough that you can get punished for trying if you get too predictable.

Her up and down tilts are simple sweeps with the Divine Retribution. Her up tilt can catch opponents above and in front of her, while her down tilt can be used as a more reliable poke. Both can start combos, but it is important to note that her Up Tilt does not cover her entire body, leaving her vulnerable from attacks that hit behind or directly on top of her.

The Divine Retribution is also used in Amaterasu’s Neutral and Down Aerial attacks. Her Neutral Aerial has her front flip with the reflector extended. This attack doesn’t do very much damage or knockback, but it is very quick, and if you land the first hit, you can combo into the next two attacks in the chain, with the third one knocking the opponent away. Her downward momentum is completely halted when doing so as well. Her Down Aerial is a simple downward sweep with the reflector. It covers her entire body, so it can be used to help her escape from pressure from below.

These next two attacks don’t use the Divine Retribution, but have a similar use case. Amaterasu’s Dash Attack and Forward Aerial are headbutt attacks. The Dash Attack doesn’t combo on opponents with high percents, but it is her most mobile attack option. Her Forward Aerial has utility in her recovery, but it has a lot of ending lag, so she can’t solely rely on it.
The Devout Beads are Amaterasu’s first rosary. It’s categorized by its long range and multi-hit properties, but in Super Smash Bros. this usually comes at the cost of speed. Amaterasu’s Forward Tilt is a strike with the Devout Beads. She takes a bit to ready the attack, so she can be interrupted if the opponent isn’t caught off guard, but it covers a lot of space in front of her.

Her Back Aerial is similar, except instead of one multi hit strike, she whips around with the rosary twice. Like with the other attack, there is a lot of startup so you can’t use it in combos, but it is decently strong if you do land the attack. Her Up Aerial is the odd one out, being much faster, but its range is much more limited. Instead of a whip like strike, she spins, twirling the beads above her. It makes for an amazing juggle tool.
Amaterasu’s Smash Attacks all use the Tsumigari, a glaive reborn from Tsukuyomi, the original blade that slew Orochi. Glaives have the unique ability to be charged up, so it was a natural fit for the role.

Amaterasu’s Forward Smash is a simple slash with the Tsumigari. It’s her fastest Smash Attack, but it is still decently slow, so it’s not something to just throw out. Use it when you know your opponent will be right next to you. The initial slash’s power is actually quite low for a Smash Attack, but it can be followed up with two more slashes for more damage. In order to have this attack be particularly useful for K.O.s though, you will have to charge it, removing the combo potential in exchange for the damage and knockback you would expect of a Smash Attack.

Amaterasu’s Up Smash is a leaping uppercut with the Tsumigari. This attack is quite slow, but if Amaterasu is beneath a relatively low platform like the two on the sides of Battlefield, she will land on it, which might allow her to escape retaliation if the opponent isn’t expecting it. Her Down Smash sees her jump up, flip, and slam the Tsumigari to the ground. Unlike the Up Smash, which has high end lag, this has high startup lag. However, it can hit opponents trying to grab the ledge.
Amaterasu’s Side and Down Specials use the Tsumigari, and Devout Beads respectively as sub weapons, and they’re named accordingly. Tsumigari sees Amaterasu leap on the blade and charge forward. You can charge this attack for distance and power, but regardless, using this attack in the air will put Amaterasu into freefall, so choose your recovery options wisely. The Devout Beads fire off beads in rapid succession in a similar manner to Fox’s Laser. Its use is quite niche, but it can sometimes pester your opponent into taking an action they’ll regret.
Amaterasu’s major mechanic is her Celestial Brush, and the ink it uses. She has 10 ink pots that refill over time, and can be seen on the UI, and her Celestial Brush Techniques use different amounts of it. These techniques are mostly used through use of her Neutral Special: Celestial Brush. The move freezes Amaterasu in place (if you use it for a second time in the air or hold the button too long, Amaterasu will simply just fall slower), overlays a parchment filter over her, and allows the user to paint various shapes with the brush, each with different effects:

• Power Slash
    • Drawn with a horizontal line. This, and other techniques that require lines, can be quickly executed by flicking the control stick. For a horizontal line, you’ll want to flick it left or right.
    • Ink Cost: 2 pots.
    • A slash attack occurs in front of Amaterasu. It doesn’t do a particularly high amount of damage, but it covers a decent amount of ground, and deals extra shield damage.
  • Cherry Bomb
    • Drawn by making a circle with the control stick.
    • Ink Cost: 4 pots.
    • A bomb as large as Amaterasu is tall appears in front of her. This bomb can be pushed around by players, and launched by all attacks that aren’t fire based. It will detonate after a set period of time, if Amaterasu hits it with Power Slash, or if anyone hits it with fire. The explosion isn’t particularly powerful, or even as big as something like Steve’s TNT, but it doesn’t hurt Amaterasu, so she can use it as a trap or pressure tool without worry. Unless it gets reflected that is.
  • Water Lily
    • Drawn by making a circle with the control stick while Amaterasu is swimming.
    • Ink Cost: 1 pot.
    • Creates a platform underneath Amaterasu’s feet that floats on the water.
  • Veil of Mist
    • Drawn by making two horizontal lines.
    • Ink Cost: 6 pots.
    • Surrounds Amaterasu in a purple mist that lingers for a bit. This mist completely obscures Amaterasu, and other characters as short, or shorter than her (for reference, she’s about a head shorter than Mario, maybe a little taller). If an opponent enters the mist, they will be slowed down slightly. Not as much as with the Timer item or Witch Time, but enough to put them at a disadvantage. It’s pretty costly, but the reward can be quite good.
  • Deluge
    • Drawn by making two vertical lines.
    • Ink Cost: 1 pot.
    • Adds a rain effect to the stage. The only time this has an actual effect in battle is when it’s used on the Distant Planet stage, though I’m sure the residents of the Living Room won’t be happy when they get home.
  • Galestorm
    • Drawn by making a loop motion with the control stick.
    • Causes green swirls to fly past Amaterasu, blowing away opponents directly in front of her. She can use this to mess with recovering opponents, though it does not hit under her, so low recoveries can be safe if she doesn’t jump down to meet you.
  • Whirlwind
    • Drawn by making three horizontal lines.
    • Ink Cost: 8 pots.
    • Creates a tornado originating from Amaterasu that lingers for a second. This attack only hits airborne opponents, but will deal a lot of damage, and can K.O. if it does. The attack also doesn’t protect Amaterasu, so projectiles and other attacks will ignore it. Due to the high ink usage this attack has, you will need to be sure that it will be useful in the moment you decide to use it, or you could be left stranded.
  • Fireburst
    • Drawn by making the infinity sign with the control stick.
    • Ink Cost: 5 pots.
    • Creates a burst of flames around Amaterasu. This attack is a powerful K.O. move, and can even act as a decent edge guarding tool, or comboed into with her multi-hit attacks with the Divine Retribution. However, like with the other big elemental techniques, its cost is quite high, so don’t miss.
  • Thunderbolt
    • Drawn by making a lightning bolt symbol with the control stick.
    • Ink Cost: 6 pots
    • Creates a lightning bolt a bit short distance in front of Amaterasu that deals multiple hits. It doesn’t deal as much damage as Whirlwind or knockback as Fireburst, but it does open up opponents for combos if you can hit with it.
  • Ice Storm
    • Drawn by making three slashes to make a snowflake symbol.
    • Two icicles are summoned above Amaterasu; one to the left of her, and one to the right. Once they form, they drop, freezing any opponents they hit. This attack is the least costly of the big elemental techniques, but it offers the least damage, K.O. power, or utility.
These attacks have no right to be near instantaneous, so to account for the fact that pro thumbs go brrrrrrr, there is a minimum amount of frames that the Celestial Brush will be active before executing the technique. This time isn’t particularly long, and is dependent on the technique.

Amaterasu’s Up Special is Vine & Bloom. Just like in the Neutral Special, it will give you access to the Celestial Brush, but this time, you can draw free form wherever you like, limited only by the amount of ink you have. When you’re done, an upside down flower will appear where your line ended, and the line becomes a vine that whisks Amaterasu away through the path you drew. Vine & Bloom grants a ton of distance if you have the ink for it, but it also leaves you open to attack both before and during your trajectory. However, it doesn’t put you into freefall, so you can mix things up with the Tsumigari.

One last thing to worry about with these attacks is that if you run out of ink, three ink pots will recharge at the same time, but you have to wait until they do before using the Celestial Brush again. To make things worse, you will be completely unable to use the Divine Instruments during this time, making all of your attacks quite pitiful, and turning your Side Special into the same thing as your Forward Aerial.
Amaterasu grabs the opponent in her mouth, so her range is quite short. Her Forward and Back Throws are nothing of note, just normal throw attacks, but her Down Throw can lead to combos, and her Up Throw has her take the opponent high into the air, and slams them down for a potential K.O., and it’s decently reliable at doing so.
Amaterasu uses the Sunrise technique, summoning the sun as it appears in Ōkami in front, and a little above her. If it hits, it starts a cutscene where Amaterasu, her son Chibiterasu, and her past life Shiranui lay the smackdown on the caught opponents, making use of Shiranui’s powerful Power Slash technique (his version of it causes a bunch of slashes to happen), and Chibiterasu’s Magnetism technique to group the opponents back together so Amaterasu can deal the finishing blow with the Solar Flare, her most powerful reflector.
Amaterasu is a fairly balanced character in terms of playstyle. She is quite fast, and can rush you down with her Divine Retribution, she can use the Devout Beads and various Celestial Brush techniques in order to control space, and she has big dumb hitboxes on her Smash Attacks and certain Celestial Brush techniques for when she just needs a powerful K.O. move.

Due to the slow speed of her more powerful attacks, Amaterasu can have trouble K.O.ing her opponent, though it’s not her biggest issue due to the fact that she has so many. Instead, it’s the fact that her recovery can use a lot of ink if you’re far away, and it uses the same resource as a major part of her gameplan. Not only can her ink run short in her recovery, but if she does run out of ink due to this, or simple carelessness, she is severely neutered in every aspect. Also, while she isn’t particularly tall, her body is the longest of the quadruped fighters and her fall speed is quite fast, which means that she can be comboed fairly easily despite her weight being on the lighter side.

All in all, Amaterasu has a very demanding presence on the battlefield, but she can be punished way harder than most characters for slipping up, which can lead to some very snowbally gameplay due to her weight.

This is a traveling stage that moves throughout the various locations in the titular Shinshu Field. The first location is in front of the Guardian Sapling at its center. This is a simple flat area with walk-offs on both sides. The Guardian Sapling isn’t in bloom, and the right side of the stage is grey, with red mist seeping out of it. After a bit, a scroll flies over and changes the background to Ōkami’s battle background as two imps appear. After defeating these imps, the tree begins to bloom, and a platform rises above the land so you can get a good look as it is restored back to life. If a more uplifting tune (such as The Sun Rises) was selected to play for the current match, this is when it kicks in. After this, the stage can go to one of a few random locations:

One area is a wooden structure built next to the bridge in front of Hana Valley with a view of it, and the Nameless Man’s house and Kiln. This structure wasn’t here in the original game, but it’s here to keep things interesting. The river splits the area in two, and is otherwise completely flat, with walk-offs. The structure is built across the river, adding a raised area that players can stand on over the river, or hit opponents from below if their character is good at swimming. There are two more platforms a little higher than the big one, and they’re a bit farther out similar to the ones found in Kalos Pokémon League. This area cannot be the first one to be visited after leaving the Guardian Sapling because watching the cursed area being lifted and then moving in the opposite direction would just feel bad.

Another is in front of the Dojo. The area consists of a hill overlooking the Dojo that meets a wall on the left, and runs into a pond on the right that players can swim in. On the far right is more land that makes a walk-off, but there isn’t too much room for fighting there.

A third location is on top of the Moon Shrine gate. As the platform touches down, the Moon Shrine will appear in the background. Despite the foreboding aura surrounding it, the area looks quite pretty. This area is a long platform that curves up at the edges. There are two more platforms that jut out from the sides of this one. They’re a little lower, and are curved at their edge just like the one in the center. They also each have one more platform just like them jutting out from the sides. The whole area is quite large.

The last location is near Tama’s house. The battle here takes place on a cliff, with a walk-off to the right side. There is a wooden platform built just under the cliff face that players can stand on, and another platform above and a little off to the side of that one. These weren’t present in the original game either, but for the sake of unique and interesting stage design, it’s here now. If it is night time, fireworks will explode out the chimney.

With each area you go to, there is a random chance that you will be attacked by Imps, Red Imps that can block your attacks with their instrument and are weak to attacks that do increased shield damage, Yellow Imps that can burrow into the ground and fire projectiles at players using their drums as cannons (though they don’t do this at the same time), and Dead Fish that fly around until struck, then proceed to try and latch onto the nearest player and explode…Yeah the Dead Fish is a really weird enemy from start to finish, and knowing Japan and its Yokai, it’s probably based off of some horror that can be found in just about every lake or something.

There are also a few different platform layouts over the main platform that the traveling portion of the stage can appear with. For example, there is one that is an inverse of one of the Skyloft layouts; a higher center platform with two platforms on the sides that slant toward it rather than away from it. There’s also one arranged in a diamond shape, with two larger platforms at the top and bottom, and two smaller ones on the sides.

The Guardian Sapling can be visited again after landing in another area, and as alluded to before, there is a day/night cycle that lasts every two areas. So it will start off as day, and after two visits to an area it will become night for the next two areas. You are more likely to be attacked during the night unless you’re at Tama’s house, in which case you will never be attacked so you can see the fireworks.

• Amaterasu: Amaterasu is a white wolf with red markings. I’d suggest that she looks like she came out of an oil painting, but that might just be drawing her in Okami’s style rather than Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’s, so maybe not. If it can work, then they should do it though.
  • Brown: Amaterasu’s fur is now a dark brown, and the markings become a light tan color. This is based off of Tei’s color pallet. Tei is one of the legendary canine warriors that Amaterasu must seek out at the beginning of the game. Gi, Shin, and Ko also have similar color pallets.
  • Tan: Amaterasu’s fur is now tan, and the markings become a light green color. This is based off of Rei’s color pallet. Rei is one of the legendary canine warriors that Amaterasu must seek out at the beginning of the game.
  • Pink: Amaterasu’s fur is now pink, and the markings become a light tan color. This is based off of Jin’s color pallet. Jin is one of the legendary canine warriors that Amaterasu must seek out at the beginning of the game.
  • Purple: Amaterasu’s fur becomes purple, and her markings become green. This is based off of Issun’s color pallet. Issun is Amaterasu’s main companion throughout the entire game.
  • Grey: Amaterasu loses any fur texture she has, and her body becomes grey with dark red markings. This is based off of the statue Karmic Transformation that can be earned in Ōkami.
  • Dark Navy: Amaterasu’s fur is now a dark navy, but the markings stay red. This is based off of Oki, a major character that you follow during your time in Kamui (the region in Nippon, not the half-dragon in Super Smash Bros.).
  • Black: Amaterasu’s fur is now black, with the red markings seeming to glow, and the eyes turning yellow. This is based off of Chibiterasu’s Dark Sun Spell.
  • Dark Samus (Distant Planet)
  • King K. Rool (Unova Pokémon League)
  • 8 Ridleys (Spear Pillar)
  • Link (Brinstar)
  • Fox (Find Mii)
  • 2 Falcos (Umbra Clock Tower)
  • Bonus
  • Ridley, then Roy, then Mr. Game & Watch, then R.O.B., then Crazy Hand (Final Destination)
This is based off of the major bosses of Ōkami. Some of them are looser in connection than others.
Ōkami has a great soundtrack, but it does lean to the peaceful side of things, so I’ll be suggesting a bunch of remixes here.
  • Title (Ōkami)(Remix)
    • Ōkami’s title theme. It’s a no-brainer to get a remix.
  • Shinshu Field
    • The theme of the first large area in the game. Well…after you restore it that is.
  • Issun’s Theme(Remix)
    • The theme of Issun, your partner throughout the game. Probably one of the first partner characters that isn’t at all annoying as well.
  • Exorcizing Evil
    • Okami’s regular battle theme. It’s quite long, but it’s also made to be listened to for short battles just as much as it is long ones, so I’m not sure if they’d chop it up or not.
  • Cherry Blossom Shower
    • One of the themes that plays in Kamiki Village (the first town). The other Kamiki Village themes are more ambient, so this one shall be the one to get into Smash.
  • The Konohana Shuffle
    • The music that plays when you and Mr. Orange help the Konohana Tree bloom through the power of the Celestial Brush, and a ludicrously silly dance!
  • Enter Waka(Remix)
    • One of Waka’s themes. Waka is a very important player in the plot, and appears all throughout the game.
  • Kushi’s Ride
    • The theme that plays as you bring Kushi straight to Orochi, ready to defeat him once and for all.
  • Moon Cave
    • The theme of the Moon Cave, which is where Orochi resides.
  • Orochi Battle Theme Medley(Remix)
    • A medley of the two Orochi battle themes.
  • Susano’s Real Power
    • The triumphant theme of Susano as he rushes in to save the day in the battle against Orochi
  • Sei-on City (Commoner’s Quarter)(Remix)
    • One of the themes of Sei-on City, another major city in the game.
  • Oki’s Theme(Remix)
    • The theme of another notable character in the game, Oki. A remix of this song would be fantastic.
  • The Sun Rises(Remix)
    • Yeah no way this song isn’t getting a remix.
  • The Sun Rises
    • The original’s here too because it’s perfect and doesn’t need a remix dangit! Let’s just hope they don’t chop it up too badly, or better yet, leave it alone completely.
  • Chibiterasu (Novice)
    • Spirit Battle: You battle a small Amaterasu in Shinshu Field with no special effects. Shinshu Field is the music for this battle.
    • Effect: Support Spirit. Grants Fog Immunity.
  • Issun (Novice)
    • Spirit Battle: You battle Young Link in the Garden of Hope with a faster Final Smash Meter. Issun’s theme is the music for this battle.
    • Effect: Support Spirit. Grants weapon attack up.
  • Oki (Novice)
    • Spirit Battle: You battle a blue Wolf that starts with a Killing Edge on Summit. Oki’s Theme is the music for this battle.
    • Effect: Primary Spirit. Is Attack Type, and has 2 slots.
  • Waka (Advanced)
    • Spirit Battle: You battle a red Marth on Dream Land with no special effects. Enter Waka is the music for this battle.
    • Effect: Primary Spirit. Is Neutral Type, and has 3 slots.
  • Sakuya (Or a Guardian Sapling if a “for good boys and girls” edit is impossible) (Advanced)
    • Spirit Battle: You battle Peach with a fast Final Smash Meter on Shinshu Field. The Konahana Shuffle is the music for this battle.
    • Effect: Support Spirit. Grants Critical Health Healing.
  • Ninetails (Advanced)
    • Spirit Battle: You fight Fox on Unova Pokémon League. Fox is distracted by items, and certain items like the Ore Club, the Fire Bar, and Lip’s Stick are common drops. Exorcizing Evil is the music for this battle.
    • Effect: Secondary Spirit. Grants Special Move Power Up.
  • Susano (Ace)
    • Spirit Battle: You battle a purple Chrom that Smash Attacks and Up Specials a lot on Shinshu Field. Susano’s Real Power is the music for this battle.
    • Effect: Primary Spirit. Is Attack Type, has 3 slots, and grants weapon attack up.
  • Orochi (Ace)
    • Spirit Battle: You battle 8 Ridleys, each with their own elemental item on Spear Pillar. Orochi Battle Theme Medley is the music for this fight.
    • Effect: Primary Spirit. Is Attack Type, has 3 slots, and grants Magic Attack Up.
  • Shiranui (Legend)
    • Spirit Battle: You battle Amaterasu with a huge attack power boost on Fountain of Dreams. The Sun Rises is the music for this fight.
    • Effect: Secondary Spirit. Grants Godhood up, which makes you invincible to the first attack you get hit with.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I don't think they'd care that much about promoting the release date considering it's Pokemon, everybody's gonna know about there being a new game. Not to mention, every other Spirit Event has been far from its respective game's release so clearly it isn't a priority. November to June isn't that long a period of time to wait, it's, what, two months more than Three Houses to Byleth in Smash? And that's without getting into speculation on potential COVID complications, the peculiarities of Min Min's moveset in particular, and the effect of E3 2020's early cancellation, which could push a hypothetical release either way.

Tl;dr they could totally have made a Pokemon FP6, and it makes little sense to have it be FP9-11 if the goal is to promote Sword and Shield in a timely manner
Pokemon doesn't need to be promoted in a timely manner, though: It's an evergreen seller that Nintendo continually pushes throughout a console's lifespan. They can pretty much drop a Pokemon whenever and it would promote a Pokemon product just fine, similar to how ARMs, another evergreen title, was seen as a viable pick on their part even after 3 years.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord

I can't remember if you say this but so I will say, there is the Team Rocket costume which is brand new and is something I could have seen included with a hypothetical SWSH fighter. It's not SWSH related sure but if you're gonna make something like that way late into when the hypothetical SWSH fighter was decided, wouldn't people be more inclined to buy it when Pokemon is the front of everyone's thinking Smash-wise?

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
The one year anniversary of these reveals.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Byleth Reveal Trailer - YouTube
Byleth Recruits ...Byleth! by CherryR95 on DeviantArt

For all the controversy it may have gotten, it was, however, the last reveal we got before everything went into lockdown hell. I can't deny I at least have some nostalgia for those precious first few months of 2020 before everyone's non-online social life went to sh**. They were technically the last DLC characters that we got to experience at large in person Smash gatherings too.
Last NY reaction had boos, it was an ill omen for the rest of the year.
Anyways, Byleth sucks.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
So. One year since Byleth, eh

I made a much more memey post about the occasion in the social thread but here's somethin a lil more detailed

Basically, y'all know the "conflicted Steve Harvey" meme? That was me when I first saw Byleth's reveal trailer. A "HAHA funny lmaoooooooo people are gonna be so salty", followed shortly by a feeling of "oh- oh ****, this really is what we got, huh...".

Since then I've come to accept them. I can't deny that I was disappointed, and in all honesty I still dislike their reveal trailer, but it's like - whatever, it's been a year, they're in the game, ain't nothing I can do about that. Plus, since the Fremblem Treehouse did turn out to be a critical and commercial hit, they turned out to be a quality pick in retrospect even if that's not why they were chosen intitially.

At this point, I can't find myself giving much of a crap either way.
68QKIjNU-noscale.jpg

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Somehow, everything always circles back to waifus.
This is Shirtless Sephiroth erasure.

A large reason why the genre got so big is that MOBAs are typically really good social games. Akin to say a group of friends deciding to do a MMO raid, except with the competition element of other human players involved. Since a MOBA match is generally up to an hour, it's also easy to "pop in, get into a match, pop out" - even as there's inherent variability to how long a game lasts. MOBAs also typically come with at least one side mode (Dota 2's gone as far as adding a custom scenario creator), which is partly due to the main map being the standard.

Now, there are potential downsides to it of course like rage and troll-related issues (as any online game suffers from) - MOBAs arguably suffer more from it because of the team setup and how a big mistake can start - or continue - a snowball.

Mobile MOBA matches are typically shorter to account for the portable nature (10 - 15 mins IIRC is common), and Unite will seemingly have a time limit since it's not "Destroy the opponents' towers and base before they destroy yours" but is focused around control points. Those two factors should reduce the above mentioned downsides in Unite's case.
You know, your post made me think about something, regarding the whole "troll/rage" aspect:

Which Pokémon is gonna be our Yasuo? Who is gonna be our Teemo/Techies? And how long until we get the montage videos with stupid builds? :roll:

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Now, there are potential downsides to it of course like rage and troll-related issues (as any online game suffers from)
There's also the downside of being developed by a company that has a shady past involving illegal personal information collecting but it seems everyone will ignore that for Pokemon in cute cosmetics.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Pokemon doesn't need to be promoted in a timely manner, though: It's an evergreen seller that Nintendo continually pushes throughout a console's lifespan. They can pretty much drop a Pokemon whenever and it would promote a Pokemon product just fine, similar to how ARMs, another evergreen title, was seen as a viable pick on their part even after 3 years.
Sure they can! The question isn't whether they would add a Pokemon fighter as DLC (of course they would), but rather whether they would add both a fighter and a Spirit Event. In my opinion it makes no sense to have both.
What if we do get a Pokémon fighter, but it’s not a Gen 8 ‘mon; instead, it’s...

TODD MOTHERFRICKIN’ SNAP, BABY!
Now this, this is the quality pick

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It kinda sucks that Cuphead was the last Mii outfit to come with an extra music track.
It's always weird to me when they have music tracks in the Mii Trailers but not in the actual game. Like, Vault Boy, Travis, Bomberman, Geno, etc., they all could've easily come with the music that came with their reveals, but no? One would think that if they acquired the rights to use it in the trailer they could've gotten it in the game.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

Clearly people see it as the best deal of the bunch.

Why pay for just 1 character ? When you can get 2 great characters for the exact same price.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It kinda sucks that Cuphead was the last Mii outfit to come with an extra music track.
It's always weird to me when they have music tracks in the Mii Trailers but not in the actual game. Like, Vault Boy, Travis, Bomberman, Geno, etc., they all could've easily come with the music that came with their reveals, but no? One would think that if they acquired the rights to use it in the trailer they could've gotten it in the game.
I have so many more ideas for costumes with songs. Gunvolt with Eternal Blue; Ori with Light of Nibel; Monokuma with a Danganronpa medley etc.

Tbf, I wonder if we’ll get that rumored Hollow Knight sword fighter with that one remix...

SPEAKING OF RUMORS.

Ah **** here we go again:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I imagine there is a notable difference in cost between licensing a song for a few seconds in a trailer and licensing a full song for perpetual use within a game. It's probably not something Smash has allocated much of a budget for, unless they start selling song packs or upping the costs of the Miis that come with music.

I mean, it could be a bit telling that the only two "extra" DLC songs we've received have been for indies, who presumably charge significantly less licensing-wise than bigger publishers.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I have so many more ideas for costumes with songs. Gunvolt with Eternal Blue; Ori with Light of Nibel; Monokuma with a Danganronpa medley etc.

Tbf, I wonder if we’ll get that rumored Hollow Knight sword fighter with that one remix...

SPEAKING OF RUMORS.

This is fake (it seems like they are actively avoiding showing the whole screen which means that they did not change the name of the costume) but it is a pretty damn good mod.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

SPEAKING OF RUMORS.

Kill all the highly speculated! More blood for the Blood God! MORE SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom