• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You know I don't even know if Xeno X needs any sort of "relevancy" going forward if she would be Fighter 10 or 11. I'm mostly going on a limb but it's safe to assume that via the season pass system over just selling DLC individually means that they can afford to pick cheaper characters they own because by the time it comes to the last 2 fighters to be revealed, a majority of Smash fans will have already bought all the DLC in pass form. It might be anecdotal to say this but I don't personally know a whole lot of Smash fans (me included) that haven't bought the pass over buying the DLC singularly.

The first fighters pass makes sense with this thinking. Persona 5 was a worldwide hit that even got recognition at TGA, Dragon Quest is a Japanese icon and Banjo & Kazooie are fan favourite Smash picks. Terry on the other hand appeals to a more niche market but is still well liked by the FGC and then Byleth was probably just a cheap option that Nintendo owns an uh, well, you can see how that went with people.

So what I'm getting at is that with an X port, Elma would probably be picked from relevancy and without a port, she could still have a chance to be picked as a later character due to easiness to get not caring about how "hype" she will be for people to buy her because most people will have already bought the fighter's pass. I can imagine that Smash's development at the moment is composed of a DLC skeleton crew over the massive undertaking that was developing Ultimate. Anyway frick yeah, Elma for Smash.
The thing is though, they're not just going to pick any random character. Even if the objective was to add an easier to add character from a licensing standpoint, why would they add a character trapped on the Wii U when there are 2 (technically 3) other games in their series on the Switch? Unless that port miraculously comes this year, I really think the options are limited to Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna ~ The Golden Country.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Whether Diamond / Pearl remakes are next, Lets go Johto
I would be excited as hell for either, I really enjoyed Let's Go Pikachu and I haven't played both Silver and Pearl for quite sometime probably since high school.

In celebration of Pokemon 25th's Anniversary, I'm planning on replaying through all the generations 1-8 this year and I would love for either of these remakes to be a part of my playthrough of the entire franchise.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So, I haven't made one of these for an entire year before (or since 2018), usually just for E3, but who knows how that'll play out this year, so, a little past a week into the year, here's my bingo sheet for Nintendo's 2021.

I certainly don't think all of these will happen, I just think each could happen. And I left out easy ones like a new Switch, BotW2, and a FE remake.

Nintendo21Bingo.png

Some clarifications: for the Zelda one, if we get a collection that comes with multiple titles, that still just counts as one game. I mean three separate releases. And we are already getting a new IP (Buddy Mission BOND) and a revival (Famicom Detective Club) this year, so those don't count. This is on top of that.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I would be excited as hell for either, I really enjoyed Let's Go Pikachu and I haven't played both Silver and Pearl for quite sometime.

In celebration of Pokemon 25th's Anniversary, I'm planning on replaying through all the generations 1-8 this year and I would love for either of these remakes to be a part of it.
All of them? Best of luck, I hear the older games had some problems with certain mechanics, namely TMs (or was it HMs?).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
All of them? Best of luck, I hear the older games had some problems with certain mechanics, namely TMs (or was it HMs?).
Both. TM's used to be one-shot usage.

HM's could not have the move replaced by another, until later games let you have a move deleter.

They basically were poorly implemented, though cool ideas. Gen VII made HM's into a summonable Pokemon who uses the move, freeing up a slot. TM's are not infinitely usable since Gen V. So they fixed both issues overall, though whether people like the roadblocks or not is a different issue in itself that HM's were used to create new paths. Some of the worst ones were when Rock Smash was just a TM, meaning you had one Pokemon who could use it, period, in order to find Shuckle or find special items(or even explore the entire game). Another really bad one is the remakes of Gold and Silver having 8 freaking HM's. That's 8 moves you had to throw onto Pokemon, and since they have 4 moves each, that's 1/3 your moveslots dedicated to those at that point, only leaving 16 good moves total of pure choice. If that.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Pokemon began once Exp Share was introduced.

Edit: I mean, when it became the default, instead of an item introduced partway through the game.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Yup, I did the same thing last year with Mario for his 35th Anniversary, From NES - SNES Classic and just barely wrapped up Super Mario 3D All-Stars recently.

But for Pokemon I'm probably planning on playing the remakes more so than the original games just because their more up to date and overall look at lot nicer.

(Let's Go Pikachu and Omega Ruby for example)

If I have any extra time I can probably play some of the DKC games for Donkey Kong's 40th Anniversary.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So they fixed both issues overall, though whether people like the roadblocks or not is a different issue in itself that HM's were used to create new paths.
If the path through Alola wasn't a straight line (or rather, if there was actually anything to explore within the routes), this would have been a non-issue in that generation.

Pokemon began once Exp Share was introduced.
The item or the thing most people want to turn off?

EDIT: Personally, I like not having to worry about certain team members getting underleveled, but it should be customizable in the future, perhaps even beyond just on or off. I also like Exp. Candies for similar reasons, but they could do with a level cap of whatever your highest level Pokémon is so you can't just overlevel all your Pokémon with the click of a button.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Pokemon was already easy enough before Exp Share started taking steroids.

In two or three gens I bet the boxed Pokemon will get exp as well.

In all honestly, if it wasn't for technical issues, I think Inkling would have been the most logical choice for Smash 4 DLC over Corrin, Splatoon was the Wii U's big hit.
I think it was less conjectural technical issues and more that Inkling was saved to headline the sequel.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So, I haven't made one of these for an entire year before (or since 2018), usually just for E3, but who knows how that'll play out this year, so, a little past a week into the year, here's my bingo sheet for Nintendo's 2021.

I certainly don't think all of these will happen, I just think each could happen. And I left out easy ones like a new Switch, BotW2, and a FE remake.

View attachment 298741

Some clarifications: for the Zelda one, if we get a collection that comes with multiple titles, that still just counts as one game. I mean three separate releases. And we are already getting a new IP (Buddy Mission BOND) and a revival (Famicom Detective Club) this year, so those don't count. This is on top of that.
If you don't mind me asking, is there a certain reason why you chose these particular topics? I mean, some are a given (of course we're gonna get more cease & desists), I was just curious if wny of these had any major backing.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
It's ironic to me that something that used to be a cheat is now a feature. Makes me wonder when we'll see a Mario game with a dedicated levitation button.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
At first I thought that was it, but in that case, how come Ryu and Cloud weren't saved for Ultimate, either? They could of been big headliner reveals there.
Because the newcomer MO seems to be, with some exception but not much, big first-parties in base, big third-parties as DLC.

I'm sure the latter is in part because is affords the third-parties more freedom in the backend versus a likely flat rate, which many find preferable.

Plus I'm fairly sure Ryu and Cloud were acquired before the roster for Ultimate took shape, considering Ryu definitely and Cloud probably were licensed before the ballot started - which we know greatly influenced Ultimate's base.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If you don't mind me asking, is there a certain reason why you chose these particular topics? I mean, some are a given (of course we're gonna get more cease & desists), I was just curious if wny of these had any major backing.
Some have been rumoured, some we're just overdue. Playing it too safe would be boring.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
You know characters like Byleth and Sephiroth were in a way obvious in hindsight because of their content missing earlier on and Nintendo or more less deliberately holding back their content to be included with a DLC character. In which case the Three Houses content for Byleth when people were expecting a spirit event around the game's release and the lack of FF content in the Base game which only came later with Sephiroth's inclusion. I guess I'll call this the "Deliberate omissions theory."

Tales Of may be a part of this. Pretty much every DLC mii costume in 4 had some form of representation in Ultimate. Besides the background characters like the Megaman and Sonic costumes who were made into costumes, you had the Black Knight, Akira, Knuckles, and Rathalos made into ATs and a boss for the latter, King K. Rool, Inklings, Chrom, and Isabelle were made into playable characters, Heihachi and Gil are in Pac-Man's taunt, and pretty much nearly every costume was made a spirit except for the Namco ones. This leaves Lloyd and pretty much Tales Of the only series without anything in the base game. And the 5ch rumor if it's true said that a Tales Of rep was in the planning stages but vanished like Sephiroth and Steve.

Of course this is just a theory of course to pass this boredom, since if there's no General Direct happening soon, we would probably have to wait until the end of February or the beginning or middle of March for the character.

I guess my point is probably keep an eye out for characters who series's content is suspiciously missing from the base or lacks a spirit event based on Byleth and Sephiroth. But of course this has a good chance of not panning out.

Last edited:

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
Tbh if ARMS gets a second fighter in the future I still really want Dr. Coyle

we need more female villains dang it
Any future ARMs fighter will probalby depend on what they will look for. If its a semiclone, or a character with prominence/popularity or an actual unique moveset. If the latter I'd like Helix to be the next one, very unique, and we dont have a proper slime creature.

People have already pointed out Rex, but I really don't see Isaac happening unless Golden Sun gets a revival that's really successful and comes out right around the time Sakurai plans the roster for the next game.

I feel like, barring miracles, Ultimate marks the end of the road for most of these long time requests that didn't make it.
What about as a retro pick? The previous smash games seemingly used NES only for that but its been years, anything before the Wii could be retro now right?

You know characters like Byleth and Sephiroth were in a way obvious in hindsight because of their content missing earlier on and Nintendo or more less deliberately holding back their content to be included with a DLC character. In which case the Three Houses content for Byleth when people were expecting a spirit event around the game's release and the lack of FF content in the Base game which only came later with Sephiroth's inclusion. I guess I'll call this the "Deliberate omissions theory."

Tales Of may be a part of this. Pretty much every DLC mii costume in 4 had some form of representation in Ultimate. Besides the background characters like the Megaman and Sonic costumes who were made into costumes, you had the Black Knight, Akira, Knuckles, and Rathalos made into ATs and a boss for the latter, King K. Rool, Inklings, Chrom, and Isabelle were made into playable characters, Heihachi and Gil are in Pac-Man's taunt, and pretty much nearly every costume was made a spirit except for the Namco ones. This leaves Lloyd and pretty much Tales Of the only series without anything in the base game. And the 5ch rumor if it's true said that a Tales Of rep was in the planning stages but vanished like Sephiroth and Steve.

Of course this is just a theory of course to pass this boredom, since if there's no General Direct happening soon, we would probably have to wait until the end of February or the beginning or middle of March for the character.

I guess my point is probably keep an eye out for characters who series's content is suspiciously missing from the base or lacks a spirit event based on Byleth and Sephiroth. But of course this has a chance of possibly panning out.
Luigi Mansion 3 got nothing but would be quite weird to do it now. What about third parties that got something in the base game but went nowhere after that? Meaning adding more should be "easy" maybe: like Rayman, Shovel Knight, Shantae

If the path through Alola wasn't a straight line (or rather, if there was actually anything to explore within the routes), this would have been a non-issue in that generation.
Haina Desert, Malie garden, Ten Carat Hill, the entirety of the fourth island, Lush Jungle etc. Alola had a decent amount of explorable routes, much better than the previous two regions at that too, and the routes were more labyrinthal than Unova's roads, so please dont spread misinformation.
While at the time there was a circle*** about it from "fans" who didnt played the game but were quite nostalgic about other entries, its sad to see the misinformation of the time still persist as I remember many gaming sites had users proud of spreading them to "take down a game", weird times, but actually playing the game the richness of Alola really shows, so its a shame people who didnt may be tricked still.

Personally I also much rather the rides and the rotombike than hms forcing moves on the pokemon, the roadblocks existed with or without them anyway both when they existed and after them to begin with.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I guess my point is probably keep an eye out for characters who series's content is suspiciously missing from the base or lacks a spirit event based on Byleth and Sephiroth. But of course this has a chance of possibly panning out.
To be fair Chocobo wasn't in the base game, though seeing as they've come back with Sephiroth that's a moot point.

But yeah, I do remember Lloyd not being part of Pac-Man's Namco roulette while Heihachi and Gil are. It could give more credence to the negotiations rumor; Tales character was going to get something but got delayed, Pac-Man didn't get a Tales character in his roulette to avoid overlap when they finally came, Tales character ended up shoved back really far and so there's just a long time without a Tales character. That could also lead into the theory I had about a Tales rep being planned to be revealed around the upcoming Tales livestream in March like Steve and MineCon.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
You know characters like Byleth and Sephiroth were in a way obvious in hindsight because of their content missing earlier on
I can somewhat understand thinking that way for Byleth but in no ****ing way was Sephiroth "obvious in hindsight". Most, if not all people attributed the meager amount of FFVII content to Square Enix supposedly being stingy, not because they were holding it for later.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Obvious isn't really the correct word I was looking for with those two. I guess a more appropriate term would be pretty subtle foreshadowing that everyone especially hardcore smash fans overlooked and dismissed at the time.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Obvious isn't really the correct word I was looking for with those two. I guess a more appropriate term would be pretty subtle foreshadowing that everyone especially hardcore smash fans overlooked and dismissed at the time.
i'm pretty sure everyone thought we were getting Byleth, just not in the first fighter's pass.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Most people want leveling to take 5 times longer for no real benefit?

I'm...gonna need a source on that.

Or is "most people" just most people in, like, the hardcore Pokemon community that makes up about 2% of total Pokemon players?
well the mechanic is counter intuitive for what Pokemon should be. You're meant to raise the pokemon and grow with them on a journey, not raise one pokemon and have the others get strong without doing anything.

Whilst I personally hate the EXP share (the whole party variety) it is less of an issue compared to other things. I guess me disliking the EXP share may also be because I enjoy grinding in RPG's for some reason.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

WHERE THE INTERESTING MOVESET AT?

Finally the dragon meter will be added and it will be fun :^)
Look, I'm sorry, but can you PLEASE stop trying to use moveset potential against Euden? I get that you're not that knowledgable about Dragalia Lost, but A) plenty of people have come up with movesets, and B) we all know Sakurai will do everything in his power to make Euden as enjoyable as possible. Just look at Steve!

Sorry for calling you out specifically, this is just something I wanted to get off my chest.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
EXP share is something that most RPGs have today anyways. I know most longtime fans probably want EXP to stay the same, but I think the silent majority is happy with the change. Training Pokémon one at a time does increase the bond you have with them, but it's also ridiculously time-consuming. Lots of people don't have the time nor the patience to battle Wild Pokémon over and over and over again every time they get a underleveled Pokémon.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
EXP Share is an odd one. It's nice not having to level each one up separately, but balancing your levels was always an issue likewise, and kind of a pain at times.

Having it as a held item did not help either. Black/White actually did something to make the experience even out(though take way longer) in return. IMO, what I think they should do is have both EXP Share items available(one that you can turn on/off and a held version), but also have the option for balanced experience as well to make things easier. Overall, there's no real easy way to find a balanced alternative while avoiding excessive grinding. It's a weakness of the basic experience system. On the other hand, you can have story-based progression where monsters are far more balanced and easy to take care of, but not not too tedious. This means you always have a fair chance to win.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
EXP share is something that most RPGs have today anyways. I know most longtime fans probably want EXP to stay the same, but I think the silent majority is happy with the change. Training Pokémon one at a time does increase the bond you have with them, but it's also ridiculously time-consuming. Lots of people don't have the time nor the patience to battle Wild Pokémon over and over and over again every time they get a underleveled Pokémon.
yeah honestly going back to the older pokemon games after playing the newer ones is a pain because you have to spend so long grinding to increase levels of each pokemon. a lot of times my starter ends up being way higher level then the rest of my team.

don't like that iirc sword/shield they made it mandatory though, the option to turn it off should be there.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Haina Desert, Malie garden, Ten Carat Hill, the entirety of the fourth island, Lush Jungle etc. Alola had a decent amount of explorable routes, much better than the previous two regions at that too, and the routes were more labyrinthal than Unova's roads, so please dont spread misinformation.
While at the time there was a circle*** about it from "fans" who didnt played the game but were quite nostalgic about other entries, its sad to see the misinformation of the time still persist as I remember many gaming sites had users proud of spreading them to "take down a game", weird times, but actually playing the game the richness of Alola really shows, so its a shame people who didnt may be tricked still.
As someone who's played the games 3 times, it's really not. Lush Jungle is just a minigame area, and areas like Malie Garden don't have much to them. There are a few routes that are more open, but they certainly aren't labyrinthine in design (aside from things like Haina Dessert). Granted, it's no Galar reigon, and it's a step up from Kalos, but it's definitely not better than Unova (sequel Unova at least. I don't really have a frame of reference for the base reigon because I'm weird and only played the sequel).

Most people want leveling to take 5 times longer for no real benefit?
...but it's also ridiculously time-consuming
It's really not though. In my experience, you don't even have to grind so long as you make sure you consistantly use all of your team members (and why would you not?).

EDIT: Granted, the oldest game I've played is Black 2 so it might have been something that got better over time, and Pokémon Ultra Sun actually accounts for your higher overall levels with the Exp. Share so not using it is just...pain.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
To be fair, it would be nice to at least have the option to turn it off.

Personally, the newer games just feel way too easy even when Nuzlocked. I get that it's what the largerst part of the Pokémon playerbase wants, but I would like to have the choice to make it harder, tbh.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
In all honestly, if it wasn't for technical issues, I think Inkling would have been the most logical choice for Smash 4 DLC over Corrin, Splatoon was the Wii U's big hit.
Yeah Inkling ink would probably look rough on the 3ds especially but there's also the fact that Corrin didn't need a stage and come with only 2 music, while Splatoon would have need a stage and probably more music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom