• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That said as I mentioned, I suspect Rex will have his chance in Smash 6. At this point, I feel his chances have dropped.
By the time of Smash 6, there will probably be at least two new Xenoblade games in the interim. Assuming they feature new casts, or at least casts that don't include Rex, he will long be a thing of the past, a candidate only plausible in an earlier era.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
By the time of Smash 6, there will probably be at least two new Xenoblade games in the interim. Assuming they feature new casts, or at least casts that don't include Rex, he will long be a thing of the past, a candidate only plausible in an earlier era.
True, slipped my mind apparently.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
If ARMS were to get a second fighter, it would most likely depend on the direction that the series takes.

If ARMS 2 did what literally every other fighting game is doing and is including a big cinematic story mode as a major selling point, whoever the protagonist of that is will likely be the next fighter in Smash. I imagine that would most likely be Spring Man, not only because he's the series' mascot, but he has already has a relatively developed backstory (up and comer who inherited a title that has been used by two previous fighters in the past) and he is implied to have connections to Max Brass and possibly Dr. Coyle, if Springtron is anything to go by.

If ARMS 2 follows the ensemble cast rule and technically doesn't have a main character, it could really be whoever Sakurai and Yabuki think would be the most interesting. Given how he was the runner-up, I'd assume Ninjara would be used for this role.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah. It's now or never when it comes to Rex, and it appears that he will never get in.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
The only characters I'm certain we'll see in Smash 6 potentially are Isaac, Spring Man, Rex (If he's not part of Pass 2), and Waluigi.
People have already pointed out Rex, but I really don't see Isaac happening unless Golden Sun gets a revival that's really successful and comes out right around the time Sakurai plans the roster for the next game.

I feel like, barring miracles, Ultimate marks the end of the road for most of these long time requests that didn't make it.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
People have already pointed out Rex, but I really don't see Isaac happening unless Golden Sun gets a revival that's really successful and comes out right around the time Sakurai plans the roster for the next game.

I feel like, barring miracles, Ultimate marks the end of the road for most of these long time requests that didn't make it.
Yeah, especially considering that the next game might have a smaller scope.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 298707
Not this conversation again please..... I beg of thee
I'm not saying MIn Min won't stay in Smash.

I'm just saying Spring Man is probably gonna join her if ARMS continues to be a success.

Me saying Min Min was a Morrigan was a compliment.

Don't get defensive.
I think a good part of the "Min Min rendered Spring Man and Ribbon Girl obsolete" comments stem from a plain projection.
Wow, um...yikes, didn't realize talking about Min Min and the completely hypothetical future of ARMS prefaced with the phrase "I think" was going to hit this big a nerve haha.

I'm just guessing here. The director said "Hey, here's my favorite", so wouldn't it make sense to just think she would have a more prominent role in some kind if sequel? Relating it to enormous, long-lasting franchises like Pokemon and Fire Emblem is kind of silly. We don't even know if ARMS will ever come back, much less spawn a franchise.

More people own or have played Smash Ultimate than ARMS. Min Min in the ambassador between the two. Putting her on the box art would just be smart business, not Spring Man erasure.

I forgot how reactionary these boards can get sometimes haha.

Even if Min Min gets a rise in prominence, that doesn't mean Spring Man would lose prominence.

Min Min is essentially the Morrigan of ARMS. And in Darkstalkers, Dimitri and Talbain are still REALLY important.
This makes the most sense and I think is just a better phrased version of what I was saying...

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Honestly, to me the only one to really be confident to get in Smash 6 is a Splatoon rep. Be it Octoling or the idols or some other prominent character. There's no way that success story is stuck with only one character.
Another similar series, Pikmin, is also currently with a single character, with Alph even turned into an alt for Olimar rather than his own separate character.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Wow, um...yikes, didn't realize talking about Min Min and the completely hypothetical future of ARMS prefaced with the phrase "I think" was going to hit this big a nerve haha.
Between the ARMS guessing game and Steve's reveal, we had about six months of ARMS being the most recent thing; Three waiting for Min Min and another three reacting to her.

Six months of ARMS

I'm lucky to have joined halfway through. If I hadn't I'd probably be suffering from intense trauma like everyone else.

Staarih

Smash Master
Another similar series, Pikmin, is also currently with a single character, with Alph even turned into an alt for Olimar rather than his own separate character.
Alph being an alt is a shame, sure, hopefully he'll get even the Echo treatment in the future. But I personally wouldn't place Pikmin and Splatoon on the same level let alone "similar".

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I mean in fairness there is a bit of a gulf in popularity and status between Splatoon and Pikmin. The former did big numbers for a Wii U title and has become a bit of a highlighted phenomenon via Splatfests and DLC campaigns. It has the kind of popularity in just Japan alone (let alone the West) that would lead me believe another character is likely. Doesn't mean its guaranteed but in comparison even after 20 years Pikmin is still fairly niche.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Honestly, to me the only one to really be confident to get in Smash 6 is a Splatoon rep. Be it Octoling or the idols or some other prominent character. There's no way that success story is stuck with only one character.
And certainly Waluigi.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Metroids have queens, FYI.
It's only called that because it lays eggs. Metroids basically evolve like Pokemon, and any Metroid that evolves to the fifth stage can become a Queen. There are no males and females.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
I doubt Spring Man and even Ribbon Girl are suddenly going to be pushed aside for Min Min. I mean, yeah, the latter is probably going to get featured more often just because people who play Smash will recognize her, but I don't think Smash alone dictates who's gonna be center stage going forward.

Spring Man and Ribbon Girl are both pretty generic representations of male and female ARMS fighters, and that's what makes them so great for promotion.
well Min-Min Did win the tournament for the most popular character also Yabuki's favorite character is Mi-Min and now Min Min is in smash probably making her more recognizable than spring-man.

I mostly keep coming back here to see the thread gush about different video games. Sometimes the passion is super infectious and I feel the urge to check out some of said games, possibly becoming a fan in the process.
Try Playing Rhythm heaven (or style savvy both are cool)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think a good comparison of what the Spring Man/Min Min situation will grow into is Samurai Shodown. When it comes to SamSho, Nakoruru is more popular and recognizable, and is generally the first from the series to be represented. However, Haohmaru is still the main character, he's the most simple and straightforward representation of the game's mechanics, and he's front-and-center on the box art. It's a bit early to make a definitive statement, but I think that could be how ARMS turns out.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
That said as I mentioned, I suspect Rex will have his chance in Smash 6. At this point, I feel his chances have dropped.
unfortunately by the time smash 6/7 is out then Monolithsoft will probably have released their new ip they've been working on and probably like 2 new xenoblades, if he doesn't make it now he probably will never get his chance again.

I think a good comparison of what the Spring Man/Min Min situation will grow into is Samurai Shodown. When it comes to SamSho, Nakoruru is more popular and recognizable, and is generally the first from the series to be represented. However, Haohmaru is still the main character, he's the most simple and straightforward representation of the game's mechanics, and he's front-and-center on the box art. It's a bit early to make a definitive statement, but I think that could be how ARMS turns out.
Or it could be like darkstalkers.

Tbh if ARMS gets a second fighter in the future I still really want Dr. Coyle

we need more female villains dang it
I wonder how her float mechanic would be translated, she basically has peach float but it's always active and it's also permanent.

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice
I personally think Elma has a better shot than Rex of getting a Min Min-style promotion to playability, but that it hinges heavily on whether Nintendo has any future plans for the Xenoblade X continuity (port/sequel) - which remains to be seen.

... Geez, we need a general Direct sometime soon. I get all the real-world reasons we haven't gotten one in a long time but it's starting to show how little we know about what games are coming soon.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I personally think Elma has a better shot than Rex of getting a Min Min-style promotion to playability, but that it hinges heavily on whether Nintendo has any future plans for the Xenoblade X continuity (port/sequel) - which remains to be seen.

... Geez, we need a general Direct sometime soon. I get all the real-world reasons we haven't gotten one in a long time but it's starting to show how little we know about what games are coming soon.
They do at least seem to be gearing up for X DE if not X2 - I think a week ago there was this Xenoblade series news article on switch that for the 2 expansion pass reminded us X still exists with Elma being there

plus her VO, Caitlin Glass’s NDA is still unknown. Lemme pull the stuff up one sec

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

I remember somebody on Twitter just flat out saying a Nintendo Direct was happening this month, and a lot of people got excited. Problem is, I couldn't tell if they were a leaker or not (didn't recognise the username), so I can't really put much stock into it.

For what it's worth, though, I at least expect an update on the 3D World port, given it comes out next month.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I'm fairly certain if we're gonna get a general early this year, it's gonna be in March, or late February at the earliest, going by amiibo theory. Because that's when the next Smash fighter will be revealed and released.

Unless Nintendo is willing to switch back to their 2019 marketing method and reveal a character months before their release. Alternatively, unless they're willing to do a general Direct in January or early February with no Smash present at all, which...I just can't see happening.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It could be the Monster Hunter presentation was indirectly kicking off this season's weekly series of videos. If we get a Twitter drop or a Partner Showcase next week we'll have a much better idea.

I have little faith in general directs coming back this year if at all until there's any compelling evidence to suggest otherwise.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I suggest we settle this with a democratic voting system of sorts. Everyone votes for who they want gone.
Now, I suggest we all comedically point at Min Min now!
No way. If we were to vote for what character we wanted gone, we all know that it would be one of the Fire Emblem cast.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
The earliest direct were likely to get 1st is a Pokemon direct sometime in late January or February in time for Pokemon's 25th anniversary which is February 27th.

I would imagine if we don't get a direct this January from Nintendo than likely it will be sometime in March.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Miles of SmashWiki Miles of SmashWiki here’s the stuff I promised

Caitlin Glass is under #NDA. She gave a suggestion
but not a clear concise answer or announcement as she did at times before such as "liking" a tweet:

There was a problem fetching the tweet
You DEFINITELY wouldn’t say “I don’t even remember” or “maybe” in regard to a NDA.
Needless to say, interesting choice of words for the 2019 NDA question. Almost like she’s still dancing around it cause she cannot reveal it yet

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

This would be the best timeline ever.

Nothing against Rex, I just prefer Elma.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
It could be the Monster Hunter presentation was indirectly kicking off this season's weekly series of videos. If we get a Twitter drop or a Partner Showcase next week we'll have a much better idea.

I have little faith in general directs coming back this year if at all until there's any compelling evidence to suggest otherwise.
Nintendo will likely only get back to regular Directs when vaccines have been widely distributed for weeks if not months. This has been a global pandemic where most governments have not prepared for it (to say the least) and even many governments that did well initially - South Korea as an example - relaxed a bit too much after the first wave and suffered a nasty second wave as a result. So Nintendo will want to be extra-cautious.

The earliest direct were likely to get 1st is a Pokemon direct sometime in late January or February in time for Pokemon's 25th anniversary which is February 27th.

I would imagine if we don't get a direct this January from Nintendo than likely it will be in March.
That Pokemon Direct - assuming it happens of course - will be interesting for multiple reasons:

*Tencent's primary mobile dev studio.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
ARMS doesn't deserve another character in consideration until they make the arms reflectable or don't make them disjoints anymore. If Mewtwo's not allowed a big ass disjointed back air then Min Min shouldn't be allowed to safely edgeguard from centerstage.
Sorry, balancing dictates that they can't be reflectable so that Min Min can actually hit opponents with reflectors, and source material dictates that the ARMS don't have traditional hurtboxes. :4pacman:

Honestly I don't think hurtboxes would really affect much since the ARMS (gloves) would always have a bit of disjoint protecting the ARMS (actual arms).

The only way I see Elma getting in is as a shill pick for a Xenoblade Chronicles X port, the existence of which is highly unlikely, and even if minds were changed on it, it likely won't be finished by the end of the year.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord

You know I don't even know if Xeno X needs any sort of "relevancy" going forward if she would be Fighter 10 or 11. I'm mostly going on a limb but it's safe to assume that via the season pass system over just selling DLC individually means that they can afford to pick cheaper characters they own because by the time it comes to the last 2 fighters to be revealed, a majority of Smash fans will have already bought all the DLC in pass form. It might be anecdotal to say this but I don't personally know a whole lot of Smash fans (me included) that haven't bought the pass over buying the DLC singularly.

The first fighters pass makes sense with this thinking. Persona 5 was a worldwide hit that even got recognition at TGA, Dragon Quest is a Japanese icon and Banjo & Kazooie are fan favourite Smash picks. Terry on the other hand appeals to a more niche market but is still well liked by the FGC and then Byleth was probably just a cheap option that Nintendo owns an uh, well, you can see how that went with people.

So what I'm getting at is that with an X port, Elma would probably be picked from relevancy and without a port, she could still have a chance to be picked as a later character due to easiness to get not caring about how "hype" she will be for people to buy her because most people will have already bought the fighter's pass. I can imagine that Smash's development at the moment is composed of a DLC skeleton crew over the massive undertaking that was developing Ultimate. Anyway frick yeah, Elma for Smash.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Nintendo will likely only get back to regular Directs when vaccines have been widely distributed for weeks if not months. This has been a global pandemic where most governments have not prepared for it (to say the least) and even many governments that did well initially - South Korea as an example - relaxed a bit too much after the first wave and suffered a nasty second wave as a result. So Nintendo will want to be extra-cautious.

That Pokemon Direct - assuming it happens of course - will be interesting for multiple reasons:

*Tencent's primary mobile dev studio.
Also again, Japan just went into its second emergency COVID lockdown

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think X getting ported is an inevitability, though I don't think the timing will line up for a Smash character tie in. If Nintendo has a major JPRG coming this year (beyond Bravely Default) XCX getting the major push for a 2022 release would make complete sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom