• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Exp shared throughout the entire party is the norm and usually this is done well because the game is balanced around it. Pokemon games are balanced around single party level ups and when the exp share was an item, it was all balanced around that. XY, ORAS and SM were balanced the same way but the exp share was changed and made over levelling way too easy. Fortunately you could turn it off and IMO still have a decent run. I'd even go as far as to say SM and USUM are generally moderately difficult if you don't use the exp share. It's a non-explicit difficulty option. SWSH on the other hand just forces it on you which is blergehegrgh.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
The issue with the EXP share is that despite being mandatory, the game's still balanced as if it doesn't exist, add in difficulty options goddammit.

In other news I played Bloodstained's DLC characters and hey, 3 characters for the pass left, Miriam, Zangetsu and Bloodless. Eh? Eh?
Nah, we need O.D. as a compromise for Alucard not being playable.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'd even go as far as to say SM and USUM are generally moderately difficult if you don't use the exp share. It's a non-explicit difficulty option.
I wouldn't recommend doing Pokémon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon without the Exp. Share on. Most of the game goes fine but as soon as you hit Ultra Necrozma it becomes abundantly clear how much stronger you were meant to be, and by that point it's too late.

Or maybe that's what I get for using an Arbok, a Beheeyem, a Wigglytuff, a Magnezone, an Alolan Marowak, and a Primarina since the majority of them are weak to the next three bosses...

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I wouldn't recommend doing Pokémon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon without the Exp. Share on. Most of the game goes fine but as soon as you hit Ultra Necrozma it becomes abundantly clear how much stronger you were meant to be, and by that point it's too late.

Or maybe that's what I get for using an Arbok, a Beheeyem, a Wigglytuff, a Magnezone, an Alolan Marowak, and a Primarina since the majority of them are weak to the next three bosses...
Wait until I tell you I did USUM using a mono-dragon theme before I knew anything about Ultra Necrozma. :slime:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

Tbh though Ultra Necrozma's still super hard even with Exp Share on outside of Zoroark cheese.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Look, I'm sorry, but can you PLEASE stop trying to use moveset potential against Euden? I get that you're not that knowledgable about Dragalia Lost, but A) plenty of people have come up with movesets, and B) we all know Sakurai will do everything in his power to make Euden as enjoyable as possible. Just look at Steve!

Sorry for calling you out specifically, this is just something I wanted to get off my chest.
I actually played Dragalia Lost for months up to the first Fire Emblem collaboration, and I like it as a game. For a good time it was the only gacha game I played on my phone, and I still keep up with it casually now (I'll probably come back for the upcoming Persona 5 collab because I'm a sucker for Persona crossovers). In the future, I'd appreciate it if you didn't make baseless assumptions about me to justify your argument.

I know about the game and it's core mechanics, and I honestly have to ask if we've played the same game. Please tell me how Euden could have an interesting or unique moveset to distinguish him from the other DLC fighters. The comparison to Steve is unjustified as Steve is a character brimming with moveset potential, but fans simply couldn't conceptualize a proper moveset for him, thus he was written widely out.

Yes, I know Sakurai added Piranha Plant so he can do anything but I simply don't see why he'd add Euden when other characters have a lot more to bring.

And also have games that are available in Europe. That tends to help too.

Last edited:

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
The thing is though, they're not just going to pick any random character. Even if the objective was to add an easier to add character from a licensing standpoint, why would they add a character trapped on the Wii U when there are 2 (technically 3) other games in their series on the Switch? Unless that port miraculously comes this year, I really think the options are limited to Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna ~ The Golden Country.
Yeah, like Tatsu.
:troll:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
this may be fun.

what's the most "niche" character you want in smash?
originalIcons.png

MysterySolver.png

Well. I guess some have been heard of. but still, I want a bunch of these characters. would be nice. So, I made icons. same size as that on the website, being 200x200.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
"x was obvious in hindsight"

Stopitrightnow
If you have to use hindsight to say a character was obvious, then they weren't obvious to begin with.

It's basically the entire point of the word "hindsight"; understanding what happened after it happened, so it couldn't possibly have been obvious.

That's my take on it, at least.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I know about the game and it's core mechanics, and I honestly have to ask if we've played the same game. Please tell me how Euden could have an interesting or unique moveset to distinguish him from the other DLC fighters. The comparison to Steve is unjustified as Steve is a character brimming with moveset potential, but fans simply couldn't conceptualize a proper moveset for him, thus he was written widely out.

Yes, I know Sakurai added Piranha Plant so he can do anything but I simply don't see why he'd add Euden when other characters have a lot more to bring.
If you don't think Euden can bring an interesting moveset and your excuse is "other characters have a lot to bring", then asking if we've played the same game is appropriate. Because Euden is just as brimmming with potential as any other realizable candidate.

Source Gaming has you covered. I want you to read the whole article and study it carefully.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Please tell me how Euden could have an interesting or unique moveset to distinguish him from the other DLC fighters.
Dragon meter turning him into a dragon and completely changing his moveset.

It's practically a transformation Final Smash without the Final Smash part.

Not sure if it'd be fun, but you asked for something "interesting", and that's interesting to me :p

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I actually played Dragalia Lost for months up to the first Fire Emblem collaboration, and I like it as a game. For a good time it was the only gacha game I played on my phone, and I still keep up with it casually now (I'll probably come back for the upcoming Persona 5 collab because I'm a sucker for Persona crossovers). In the future, I'd appreciate it if you didn't make baseless assumptions about me to justify your argument.

And also have games that are available in Europe. That tends to help too.
Okay, sorry about accusing you of not being knowledgable. I've had to deal with plenty of people who were like that, so I kinda jumped to a conclusion...

But yeah, I suggest you look over the Source Gaming article about Euden's moveset potential. Trust me, he's got plenty of it.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I can see one more character who isn't one of those smaller ones for the upcoming E3.

Will it top Steve and Sephiroth? Maybe not, but I don't expect them to give something obscure for E3, of all places.
Well technically, it’s all down hill from here anyway. Minecraft & Final Fantasy are the biggest realizable third parties. The only series above them are stuff that’ll never happen like COD, GTA & Sims.

You know characters like Byleth and Sephiroth were in a way obvious in hindsight because of their content missing earlier on and Nintendo or more less deliberately holding back their content to be included with a DLC character. In which case the Three Houses content for Byleth when people were expecting a spirit event around the game's release and the lack of FF content in the Base game which only came later with Sephiroth's inclusion. I guess I'll call this the "Deliberate omissions theory."

Tales Of may be a part of this. Pretty much every DLC mii costume in 4 had some form of representation in Ultimate. Besides the background characters like the Megaman and Sonic costumes who were made into costumes, you had the Black Knight, Akira, Knuckles, and Rathalos made into ATs and a boss for the latter, King K. Rool, Inklings, Chrom, and Isabelle were made into playable characters, Heihachi and Gil are in Pac-Man's taunt, and pretty much nearly every costume was made a spirit except for the Namco ones. This leaves Lloyd and pretty much Tales Of the only series without anything in the base game. And the 5ch rumor if it's true said that a Tales Of rep was in the planning stages but vanished like Sephiroth and Steve.

Of course this is just a theory of course to pass this boredom, since if there's no General Direct happening soon, we would probably have to wait until the end of February or the beginning or middle of March for the character.

I guess my point is probably keep an eye out for characters who series's content is suspiciously missing from the base or lacks a spirit event based on Byleth and Sephiroth. But of course this has a good chance of not panning out.
I’ll throw my hat into the conspiracy theory ring & say that no Microsoft Mii costumes besides Minecraft is odd. Especially since they were apparently easy to work with.

Ori, Battletoads, Perfect Dark & Killer Instinct all have history with Nintendo & are relevant to Microsoft currently; they would’ve been great Mii costume choices for Banjo. So why didn't they happen?

this may be fun.

what's the most "niche" character you want in smash?
Haggar, Fulgore & Joanna Dark. Joanna Dark might be leaving the niche category soon if the new Perfect Dark is big.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
As for Reese, I came up with some moveset ideas for him and even a Classic Mode route.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Especially since they were apparently easy to work with.
I would say "maybe it's easier to work with one division at a time?", seeing as how Minecraft costumes did eventually come with Steve, but even then they didn't include any Rareware costumes with Banjo's wave.
So, uh... remember when I posted One-Winged Kong last week?

Well, it's one step closer to becoming real.

Jokes aside, I had no idea people could already do this with modding. Maybe we're not that far off from the more complex stuff.
You never realize just how tall Sephiroth is until you see him distort to perform Falcon's taunts.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Pokemon who didn't get into Smash weren't kicked out of Gamefreak's marketing.
And this is why I still have hope for Meowth (especially after Alolan Meowth, Galarian Meowth, and Gigantamax Meowth) and now Jessie and James (especially after Pokemon Let’s Go, Pokemon Masters, and Pokemon GO).

Meowth & Team Rocket for Smash!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Going back on my "hindsight" post, the funny thing is that there's actually a way to use that word without sounding like a pretentious asshole.

"In hindsight, we should have expected X" is far more clear and honest than "X was obvious in hindsight"
In hindsight, we should have expected Wii Fit Trainer and Piranha Plant.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Going back on my "hindsight" post, the funny thing is that there's actually a way to use that word without sounding like a pretentious asshole.

"In hindsight, we should have expected X" is far more clear and honest than "X was obvious in hindsight"
Okay.
  • In hindsight, we should've expected Captain Falcon :4pacman:
  • In hindsight, we should've expected Mr. Game & Watch :4pacman:
  • In hindsight, we should've expected Olimar :4pacman:
  • In hindsight, we should've expected Duck Hunt :4pacman:
  • In hindisght, we should've expected every character we say we don't expect :4pacman:
Don't worry, I didn't do this out of malice or anything.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

In hindsight, it was obvious that we shouldn't have had this conversation.

:troll:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
My opinion on Euden's moveset is... it could be cool, at least conceptually, but I'm personally not really "wow"ed by anything he does.

Euden does have a lot to draw from when it comes to attacks.
The issue is they're not terribly interesting attacks nor are they very much unique either:
He's got the game standard 5-hit combo
1610237613721.png
Right to left swing
1610237639942.png
Left to right swing
1610237682017.png
Spins around and does another left to right swing.
1610237780697.png
Does a backflip slash
1610237795947.png
Slams down
The Force Strike
1610237877835.png
Another right to left swing except he dashes forward a short distance
Blazing Circlet
1610237943214.png
A spinning fire slash
Exalted Fire
1610238101523.png
An aerial flaming blade beam

And if you want to include his Gala version, he does everything as before except the last 2 but with a light element instead of fire.
Instead he'll get:
Rising Circlet
1610238234673.png
Creates a zone where he does more damage
Exalted Glory
1610238369432.png
Summons all his friends to attack one area in a big rainbow explosion
He can also turn into a dragon, probably Midgardsormr the wind dragon as it is the first one he gets, which could be a pretty unique gameplay concept, but his moveset isn't all that interesting either, playable or boss.

In short he does retread a lot of old ground, but he does have some unique actions and they could make him stand out if they wanted to, especially if Sakurai just takes Euden as an excuse to add more random cool sword moves.
It's just personally, I'd rather go for someone who's a bit more fleshed out in their own games and doesn't require concerted work on part of the devs to make unique...

Someone who already makes me go "oh, what they're doing is pretty cool, put that in Smash!"
Someone like Gran and Djeeta, the protagonists of Granblue Fantasy, Dragalia Lost's sibling franchise both run by Cygames, whom Nintendo would presumably negotiate with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom