• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Is Talbain REALLY that important to Darkstalkers?

Dude been missing every big crossover possible, and while he is really cool & a top tier in 3, he is not a very important to the main story of Darkstalkers, and he doesn't get much focus in other media, like the OAV from what I remember.

If anything, I say Jedah, despite being introduce in Darkstalkers 3, as become one of the most important & well-know character that the franchise as. While he isn't Morrigan level of crossover, he did get in MvC: Infinite, Cross Edge, Project X Zone &....sigh.... Capcom Fighting Evolution. He isn't playable in all 4, but it's better than poor Jon, who always get small cameo at best. (Jdeah biggest problems is how gory his moves are, but even then, Infinite kinda resolved the problems...as long you like purple goo)

I'm not trying to act like a ass btw, I love Darkstalkers & I think Jon deserve more than he got, i'm just curious why you choose him of all characters to be on the same level as Dimitri, who still got some love here and there despite losing his role as the main character & face of the franchise due to Morrigan ridiculous popularity. (let me know too if i'm missing context on you take, really don't want to look rude or the like)
Just because he doesn't show up in crossovers doesn't mean he's not important.

With that logic, the Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings didn't matter until the mid-2010s since that's when they were brought to Smash, despite Junior having been a consistent major antagonist since Sunshine and Koopalings being frequent sub-bosses if you forget the hiatus between Superstar Saga and New Soup Wii.

If crossover appearances really matter that much to you though... Amaterasu's DLC costume in Marvel 3 is a Jon Talbain reference.

1610192939056.png

So it's not like he never mattered.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

With that logic, the Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings didn't matter until the mid-2010s since that's when they were brought to Smash, despite Junior having been a consistent major antagonist since Sunshine and Koopalings being frequent sub-bosses if you forget the hiatus between Superstar Saga and New Soup Wii.

If crossover appearances really matter that much to you though... Amaterasu's DLC costume in Marvel 3 is a Jon Talbain reference.

View attachment 298715

That costume makes me sad because we know for a fact that if they could make 2 more characters they'd be Dock Ock and Talbain

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

View attachment 298715

Correct me if i'm wrong, but Bowser Jr never had a period of just being not being used contrary to Jon since his debut. Like he was the main big bad of Sunshine, which came in 2002, and after it, he became a recurring playable character in various spin-off games & a more or less important bad guy depending of the games.

Plus, ya know, Mario isn't a dormant franchise without any new game beside ports of the same 3 games for how know many years. Darkstalkers is a pretty niche series, so any appareance it's character get in official product matter much more than Bowser.Jr or the Koopaling appareing in any games those day. (for The Koopaling, there was a time, where they weren't used and it was indeed pretty long, but they more then make up that lost time now those days & were making a comeback thanks to NSBWii like you mentionned. Plus they were in alot of shows & spin-off back in the 80'-90', before suddenly dropping out of the map of the Earth. Due to how small Darkstalkers was & still is tho, Jon didn't have the same spotlight back in the day)

Also, take that what you will, but Bowser Jr & the Koopaling almost didn't made Smash 4 (and it shown in places), so if a reccuring & quite populars characters(I remember Bowser Jr was quite high on peoples most wanted list, pre-confirmation) like Bowser.Jr had problem getting to Smash 4, imagine Jon odds of making it over others characters of his own series.

And yeah, I knew about the MvC3 costume, but again, compared to other Darkstalkers character, it's still quite low imo. Not as low as sayyy, Rikuo or Sasquatch, but it could be better. (like Lord Raptor as apparear in every Namco X Capcom/Project X Zone game as a antagonist, yet Jon didn't apparear in person for some odd reasons!)

I swear i'm not trying to be a **** to Jon, but I just don't see him in the same rank as Jedah, Dimitri, etc...I love for him to get in Smash & finally get the love he deserve, but if he get in, I won't say it was because he was loved by many peoples working at Capcom beforehand.

EDIT: Also, when did I say he never mattered? Think closest I said is that was always quite a low profile characters compared to others when it came to appareances in various games, not that nobody on earth cared about him.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
That costume makes me sad because we know for a fact that if they could make 2 more characters they'd be Dock Ock and Talbain
Has Doctor Octopus ever even been in Marvel game? I don't think he has. That seems like a big character to miss, to be honest...

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I swear i'm not trying to be a **** to Jon, but I just don't see him in the same rank as Jedah, Dimitri, etc...I love for him to get in Smash & finally get the love he deserve, but if he get in, I won't say it was because he was loved by many peoples working at Capcom beforehand.
If for some kind of super sephilike miracle morrigan gets in.. a brawler jhon talbain costume with a big wolf like mane would be sweeeet.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
If for some kind of super sephilike miracle morrigan gets in.. a brawler jhon talbain costume with a big wolf like mane would be sweeeet.
Ya know, I be cool with that.

Any love for Jon is good in my book, and Mii Brawler would fit him quite well.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Even though I'm a big Lord Raptor and Jedah fanboy, the only Darkstalker character I can honestly see happening in Smash is Morrigan honestly. She IS Capcom's Ms. Crossover after all, happily wed to her husband Mr. Crossover who is already in Smash.

Has Doctor Octopus ever even been in Marvel game? I don't think he has. That seems like a big character to miss, to be honest...
He was actually planned for MvC3, but they didn't finish him. There were in fact traces of both his and Frank West's names being found in the code for base Marvel vs Capcom 3, and with only Frank West being made playable in the upgraded Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, they must've abandoned the idea for a playable Doc Ock somewhere in development which is seriously disappointing. Well, there's always the possibility of a proper MvC4..... Let's hope he gets his deserved spot in there if that ever does happen.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

The 7-11 gods have spoken. Sephiroth is not actually a part of this game. We've been hallucinating him this whole time.
we all collectively took the good stuff and all had a vision of Sephiroth while high

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Probably not much.

It mostly means that Level 5 is not in a position to ask for big bucks if Nintendo wants the license of Professor Layton... which likely was never the case, to begin with.
It's actually the other way around. A Smash character could potentially reverse Level 5's current financial situation and thus they would happily accept an offer to have one of their characters join Smash.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Talbain has never been in any crossovers, and he was also cut in one of the ds3 versions. (Hunter 2 or savior 2 cannot remember.) He is popular, but never enough to escape the darkstalkers gravitational pull.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
What motivates you guys to keep coming back here to speculate? After things go back to normal following a reveal, I lose enthusiasm until more Smash news comes out.
I mostly keep coming back here to see the thread gush about different video games. Sometimes the passion is super infectious and I feel the urge to check out some of said games, possibly becoming a fan in the process.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
What motivates you guys to keep coming back here to speculate? After things go back to normal following a reveal, I lose enthusiasm until more Smash news comes out.
It's mostly the interesting conversations and debates we have on here. Also I will tend to go on small breaks then I will play Ultimate again and be reminded why I love it. Oftentimes just staring at the stage and character select screens while listening to different music reinvigorates my passion for this game. I will also try out different modes since I play 8 Player Smash all the time. Which is so much fun, it's the definition of chaotic.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I mostly come on here to talk about my favourite obscure characters and see how people respond to them. I talked about characters like:

Ark from Terranigma
Erik, Baleog and Olaf from the Lost Vikings
Cormano from Sunset Riders
John Raimi from Geist
Tomba from... Tomba
and of course

Sgt. Cortez from TimeSplitters!

Time to Split compressed.gif

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Neither does the thief from DQ11. I'm assuming you never as much as heard of the character before today
Oof looked it up. Seems I goofed off and thought you were referring to Erdrick.

Doesn't help I'm not knowledgable or haven't played Dragon Quest.

D

Deleted member

I just come in here and watch all the arguments 😎
not really super into spec(or gaming in general tbh) but it's interesting to hear ya'll opinions of certain topics related to it

Last edited by a moderator:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Wendy doesn't count because she's freaking Wendy.
Fixed. :4pacman:

On the topic of a second arms rep, it would likely be ninjara.
Nah he'd be the fourth. If ARMS is staying in Smash I doubt it would be without it's mascots for too long.

That being said I'd imagine they'd add them all at the same time due to their similarities so it doesn't really matter.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
If Springman got in Smash 6, I'd probably expect a Springtron echo fighter. Yeah Springtron has unique abilities to himself but their hitboxes would match and Dark Samus could have been hella more unique but the echo slots are different from full fighters and it'd probably be a way they'd make the ARMS roster in Smash easier without having to make another whole fighter.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
On the topic of a second arms rep, it would likely be ninjara.
I don’t think we can confidently say anything like this until an eventual sequel and how it handles the rest of the cast, but I feel like Spring Man would get precedent. If they decide to focus on a stronger narrative next time I imagine he would play a major role and will continue to be the “posterboy”. He’s the Chrom of ARMS, right down to being poked fun at in the promo art lmao.

I’d probably push for Max Brass myself though. Now that we have one of the main protagonists of ARMS I feel it’d be nice to have a rival of sorts, the head of the ARMS league and more of a boss styled character. Important to the story (probably will continue to be) and will offer something more unique than Spring Man / Ninjara. Would be a nice foil and play very different from Min Min as a superheavy with nutty armor and stuff. I could probably see that being very annoying but still would be cool.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The only characters I'm certain we'll see in Smash 6 potentially are Isaac, Spring Man, Rex (If he's not part of Pass 2), and Waluigi.

I can also potentially see Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, and Shadow.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Y’all are really sleeping on Tom Nook when these Smash 6 conversations pop up, you could genuinely make a case for him being one of the most significant / recognizable characters absent from the roster. There’s plenty of potential to differentiate there too with mechanics involving tanooki abilities (tail attacks, maybe a little hover-down float), utilizing bells and stuff like furniture placement. I think he’s inevitable, personally.

Octoling is probably the biggest no-brainer though.

Rex (If he's not part of Pass 2)
I have a hard time seeing Rex make it unless he stars in another Xenoblade game. At that point priorities and support will likely shift toward the newest protagonist whoever that will be.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Did something happen with Rex?
Feels like most people are on the same page with DLC Mii costumes and Spirits deconfirming characters.
Yet Rex seems to be the only character of that nature speculated on.
Rex is in a bit of a grey area because his costume was available at launch and is technically free, being a bonus for getting the first Fighter's Pass. Some think Nintendo thinks of him like any other DLC costume, while others argue it was determined during the base game and there's been enough time to go back and make him a fighter.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Feels like most people are on the same page with DLC Mii costumes and Spirits deconfirming characters.
Reason some assumes he's still in the reason are two reasons.

Pass 2 seems like it might be adding some characters who might have missed the cut in Base in this case an ARMS character.

The Rex Mii was exclusive to Pass 1, unlike other Mii costumes.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Rex is not going to be a permanent frontrunner - his popularity will decline and his place as a fixture of expectation will cease whenever the next Xenoblade materializes. Which is probably in the next year or two.

Some people seem to overlook this.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
People wrongfully think he's a special exception from literally every other Mii Costume because apparantly Nintendo didn't know they'd do more DLC despite still negotiating for Steve after having finalized the first pass

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
That said as I mentioned, I suspect Rex will have his chance in Smash 6. At this point, I feel his chances have dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom