• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
You made some good points

-I know about Sakurai being a Massive Fan of SNK and it's franchises, Though it could also have the effect of getting more purchases on the Eshop. I do think this was mostly to get the audience watching the presentation to be more familiar with Terry and SNK as a whole, like Sakurai is

-the Sephiroth point is actually a Good Point. I don't think the Trailer was created specfically for TGA, but I could see a Scenraio where there was a change of plans or something like that

I recall that Dorito Pope himself asked Nintendo if they had any Smash trailers they wanted at TGA's, which suggests that it wasn't intially apart of the plan, but Nintendo might have saw that FF7R was gonna have a presence there and decide now is the best time to reveal the trailer

Nintendo could have just did a Separate thing on their own like they did with Byleth and Steve.

I think with most of the characters, advertising is not apart of the reasons a character was chosen, but I do think if Nintendo does see an opportunity to perhaps make a reveal coincide with another event that involves the franchise to get more eyes on the Smash reveal, they probably will do it. There's no harm in doing that and only benefits by having more attention on the Smash reveal. Again I don't think it's a reason most characters get picked or anything like that

Who do you think will win the Sega War for a spot in FP2, if we get a Sega Character?
I'd say Kazuma Kiryu is in a great place but assuming that he's out of the running in the light of his developer's recent interview, a Puyo Puyo character probably has the best chance. Dr. Eggman and Tails are possible but I just have a hard time seeing them in.

Also, not gonna happen but it'd be hilarious if we end up getting the protagonist of SMT V.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Who do you guys think are an eventuality for Smash?
They might not be the next challenger pack, or this pass, or even next game, but they will come.
I think Issac, Waluigi, and A second Sonic Character are gonna come eventually.
Dread it...

Run from it...

Waluigi still arrives.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
How would he play like? I only know that ge rolls huge eggs around and has elemental properties on certain attacks.

I doubt it. After Steve, it's pretty much a given that Smash 6 will kick Mario out and replace him with Hatsune Miku.
To be honest, it's a little hard to say. What you mentioned is more or less what Billy has (though I should probably mention his elemental abilities come from Egg Animals he can hatch, some of which are other Sega characters), but given that the point of the game is that you want to have an Egg on you as much as possible, it would at least provide some interesting scenarios to be incorporated into Smash.

At least, I would assume so. I'm not good at coming up with Smash movesets...

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I don't know what's better, the fact that Eliwood is no longer part of the FE7 gang or the implication that Surtr even has a shot
If I remember correctly the picture is a reference to an event that was completely bungled in Fire Emblem Heroes. The devs let the players vote for a free hero from the 'green' pool (axes, wind magic, green bows/daggers) by scrolling through a map containing all the heroes and picking one. However due to the fact that a lot of people didn't know how to scroll the map, they picked one of the first heroes that popped up which was Lyn (Green Bow). This was met with anger and hilarity as the most OP green units didn't even make the top 5 because most people couldn't find them on the map.

Anyways on the actual topic of Smash characters, Lyn feels like a character that's just on the edge of likely for me. She's always popular and a long-term AT, but by whenever the next Smash game comes out the FE18 protag/lord may be just as popular and more relevant.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Looks like 7-11 Theory is going to die because this is far too early for CP9's reveal.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
They might not be the next challenger pack, or this pass, or even next game, but they will come.
I think Issac, Waluigi, and A second Sonic Character are gonna come eventually.
Obviously I'm gonna sound biased given they're my most wanteds, but I truly do think that both Octolings and Waluigi are inevitable. Octolings are at the barest minimum an easy Echo, and Waluigi is in the exact same place Ridley was back in 4 where there was massive fan outcry at him getting snubbed again and is just an easy fan favorite choice at this point.

...Of course, I don't think they'll be in Ultimate, but next time around? I'd be shocked if they didn't just finally put funny purple man in, and again, assuming Echos become a series staple, Octolings are one of the most obvious choices for one.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Looks like 7-11 Theory is going to die because this is far too early for CP9's reveal.
Probably meant to be posted before Sephiroth's reveal, but the guys making it forgot they were supposed to put it up between the end of November and Sephiroth's reveal. Because Sephiroth is nowhere to be seen on that ad.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The 7-11 gods have spoken. Sephiroth is not actually a part of this game. We've been hallucinating him this whole time.
Guys, Sephiroth is coming on the 24th. Get hyped!

Or it could be an exception due to an outdated poster. shrugs

MooMew64

The 7-11 gods have spoken. Sephiroth is not actually a part of this game. We've been hallucinating him this whole time.
...Huh.

I...Don't know what this means.

If it means what 7-11 ads usually mean, I'd put my money on a February reveal, but the lack of Sephiroth is weird. I might be inclined to believe the ad is outdated, or quite possibly a mistake.

February gonna be real interesting. :nifty:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
...Huh.

I...Don't know what this means.

If it means what 7-11 ads usually mean, I'd put my money on a February reveal, but the lack of Sephiroth is weird. I might be inclined to believe the ad is outdated, or quite possibly a mistake.

February gonna be real interesting. :nifty:
It's possible that they meant to put it up earlier, but they forgot until now, thus explaining Sephiroth's absence.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
From what it seems like, this was meant to be posted back last year (December) but was apparently postponed for some reason. Evidence given Sephiroth not being on there.

We're still likely waiting until March.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

We've been so desperate for more FFVII songs and spirits that we began to imagine they'd make a DLC fighter that fixes that.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Premium costumes are kinda painful, seeing a character get so close to getting in as an actual fighter only to fall short.
Not sure how that's really close.

The amount of development resources required to make a Mii costume(even a premium one) is nothing compared to a character.

Hell, Assist Trophies are closer than Miis. They take unique models, animations, and sounds.

The fact that that and Black Mage were listed here as potential Final Fantasy reps and not Cloud is pretty much all you need to know lol
That's because that was back when people thought Cloud couldn't get in because he'd never been in a Nintendo game.

Some people want Black Shadow as an excuse to declone Ganon, iirc.

Otherwise, he'd never get this many requests.
Yes and yes.

If not for the Ganondorf thing, Samurai Goroh would be the frontrunner for next F-Zero character.

he really does. my problem is that he usually goes way too far with the refrences, creating unnecicarily complex movesets. His Steve moveset literally has him do a run of minecraft, including a mob farm.
You say that like Steve's ACTUAL moveset wasn't almost as bad.

My thought process with character movesets is that I tend to start by nailing down a playstyle, a few traits I want to convey, and/or a few specific moves I want them to have. Then, I fill in the rest from there.
My process would be to take a Mii's moveset, then replace each of its moves with something the character does in its own games. The end.

I legit never thought of that. It would genuinely be such a good idea to add Black Shadow, give him Ganondorf's moves and give Ganondorf his own moveset. I wonder if this is still possible now that Ganon has been "de-cloned" a bit already with his sword and everything.
Probably not in Ultimate, but REALLY hoping for Smash 6.

If it does happen, I expect him to emulate an older 'dorf moveset, like Melee or Brawl.

The hard part here is determining where one starts hitting diminishing returns by pursuing Nintendo archival picks.
For retro characters, if they never got a 2nd game, they don't deserve it. Doubly so if that game wasn't good.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Ichiban actually is my bias pick. I love that goofball and him interacting with DQ Heroes would be so wholesome.
I've been playing YLAD almost non-stop all week. I'm at chapter 8 and I have to say...I want him just as much as Kiryu and as long as the game sticks the landing he easily lands in my all-time favorite protagonists list and this game is going to sit alongside my favorite games of all time.

His final smash would have be Essence of Mayhem, and yeah, I would love to see him interact with the Heroes! After all, he's a Hero himself!

Louie G.

Smash Hero

Here! Here is one of Shorts' bigger polls.
I was looking this over before and it's actually got me reconsidering some of those things I said about Phoenix Wright the other day.

I still stand by him being outclassed by the other Capcom frontrunners by most metrics, but I didn't recognize just how much more popular he was than his competition... at the time, at least. He breaks the top five most popular third parties at the time, only 9 votes behind the literal "ballot winner" (out of realizable characters, of course). Out of the five top placing third parties, Ace Attorney is the only one absent from the game entirely. Three of the others (Banjo, Castlevania, Bayonetta) have playable characters and one (Bomberman) has an AT and a snazzy Mii Costume.

Granted the ballot was a long time ago, but more and more I'm thinking that our DLC was decided a good while back too, based on what we've heard about Steve and then Sephiroth being part of the "Square Seven" as far back as when Hero was being decided. With the ballot having played a big part in our base roster + Banjo, at the very least, I still think it's a viable metric for which characters Nintendo and Sakurai may deem to be popular.

In any case, I stand by most of what I said about Phoenix but underestimated his popularity a bit. I'm not sure if it's enough to compete with characters who Nintendo may deem more profitable, and furthermore I recognize this as a relic of a time where we thought tight Nintendo bonds was the be all end all, but it's some food for thought that has me rethinking something I was pretty firm in.

Also... god, was Black Shadow really that popular? I just totally forgot about that. Then again I kinda split before DLC speculation was going down, but man.

Chun-Li, Tom Nook, Octoling, and probably Waluigi if his massive support continues.

Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee feel like obvious choices too, but they've felt that way for two games now so... I dunno. Ring Fit also feels like a fresh new IP worth keeping an eye on, especially if it continues. It was a pretty good success for Nintendo and I'm sure that won't be forgotten.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
What motivates you guys to keep coming back here to speculate? After things go back to normal following a reveal, I lose enthusiasm until more Smash news comes out.
All you guys. Couldn't ask for better friends. Especially Zinith, Mamboo, Lesley, and JDCabera. Expect me to still be here even after the DLC ride ends.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Here! Here is one of Shorts' bigger polls.

This was right after Mewtwo was revealed but before Lucas was.
I love how one suggestion that got 34 votes isn't even a character but literally 'NO THIRD PARTY CHARACTERS!', especially when you remember that this site didn't allow support threads if the character wasn't Nintendo enough back in those days.

Also I like how Brawlfan1's most common criticism is how he makes overly complex movesets yet my biggest gripe is his Alucard moveset's down b being "**** if I know just make this move an exact copy of the Belmonts"

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I know it's late for Pros and Cons but I've been wanting to do one for the Doomslayer for a while now and I'm going to do it now.

Doom Slayer/Doomguy

Pros
Bethesda is friendly with Nintendo
Very iconic to the FPS genre and PC gaming
Got a successful revival in 2016
Very active fan community, with modifications for the original game still being made to this day

Cons
Interview with Bethesda employee makes it sound like he's not in
Doom, and by extension the FPS genre itself, isn't very popular in Japan

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Sorry if I'm poking at an old controversy but as someone coming back from hiatus, what happened to the Geno thread? Is it gone or moved or what?

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
What motivates you guys to keep coming back here to speculate? After things go back to normal following a reveal, I lose enthusiasm until more Smash news comes out.
I am hear because I like smash. I love platform brawlers. I like smash, Playstation all stars battle royal, rivals, etc. They are all good party games to me. So it is something fun for me speculate on.

Also do enjoy seeing others talk about their favorites (even if I do like to talk smack about some of their choices from time to time)

Sorry if I'm poking at an old controversy but as someone coming back from hiatus, what happened to the Geno thread? Is it gone or moved or what?
My understanding is that there were particular users in that thread that were manipulating people. and when Geno was disconfirmed they closed it up and banned unruly users.

Last edited:

MooMew64

Best way to ask for info on this would be DMing site staff for this: I think the mods would prefer we keep that out of this thread as it can derail the conversation.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think it got closed because of all the inherent drama surrounding it like the Smash 4 Ridley thread and I believe it happened to a Waluigi thread. Not too surprising as I remember that around this time last year a highly respected regular there made an entire post dedicatinf to tagging me and start **** leading to my one and only post there telling people to literally not do that if you don't want drama.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I believe it got shut down due to the increasingly touchy and divisive status of the character, which would've hit critical mass after the Mii Costume had nothing been done. It's not the first to be in this situation; Apparently the same had been done with Ridley and K. Rool in Smash 4 and Waluigi in base game Ultimate. I believe Ridley was in base game SSB4 and K. Rool in the DLC, so I suppose each phase of Smash spec needs a divisive character who's thread gets shut down.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
OK thanks, let's steer the conversation away then (didn't want to rile up an old wound)

To this day even though I main Corrin myself, I think Azura should've been the Fates rep. Water lancer with dance and song moves > the typical sword and dragon associations with FE. Her animations would've been so sick as well.

az.png

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
In terms of my created movesets I usually create the Special Moves and Final Smash first, which are usually references to their games, like my moveset for Reese Worthington.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
OK thanks, let's steer the conversation away then (didn't want to rile up an old wound)

To this day even though I main Corrin myself, I think Azura should've been the Fates rep. Water lancer with dance and song moves > the typical sword and dragon associations with FE. Her animations would've been so sick as well.

View attachment 298704
I dont understand the Fire Emblem hate. I know I was very much against Byleth when she joined, but that was more about wanting pizazz and a super cool FP5. I think she is good now. Honestly would be fine with another FE rep, I want Celica mainly. I liked her as an option WAAAAYYY back in brawl speculation. Problem we have with FE characters is that it usually falls to the player avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom