• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
inb4 Rex gets Mii costumed again but with his Master Driver outfit this time :4pacman:
Now that you mention that, I really hope he would come with that look as one of his alts.

I Asked Gamefaqs a Similar Question to this, so I'll ask Smashboards as well

Would Another Sonic Character (Eggman, Tails, Shadow, & Knuckles) actually be more hype (on a Majority basis) than Sephiroth? Would you say Those 4 Characters are more Iconic than Sephiroth, and therefore perhaps garner a reaction bigger than him?
Those four are probably more known than Sephiroth. I don't think there's much discussion there, and I'm not downplaying Sephiroth here. Sonic characters are easy to recognize even if it's because of their particular designs.

Those four having a bigger reaction than Sephiroth? I honestly doubt it. Not saying they would be poorly received, but if you asked any Smash fan what was more likely a few months ago between getting Sephiroth or Tails/Knucles, almost everyone would have answered "a second Sonic characters feels more likely", myself included.

7NATOR

Smash Master
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
To be fair, When Humans are concieved, they don't start in humanoid form either. We have Fetus Form, Cell Form, and more Alien looking forms before we become humanoid

Even if you don't want to count that
, Technically Female Robin could be looked at as a Villain

No, it was a typo. Plain and simple.

Because clearly Sephiroth, one of gaming's most iconic villains, needs shilling to be justified into being in Smash :rolleyes:
No, but Nintendo likes revealing Characters when they be the most relevant. That's the whole deal with Steve being Revealed near Minecon, and Sephiroth being at TGA because FF7R was receiving Awards

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I wouldn't really consider this humanoid.

What do you think Dark Samus looks like under that helmet? : Metroid
Humanoid- having an appearance or character resembling that of a human.

She (They?) have the basic Structure of a human, though anotomity heavily seems to differ (With having no mouth, a third eye, and a transparent body).
Its does seem like Dark Samus is a form of humanoid

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I wouldn't really consider this humanoid.
1610163761442.png

By definition, yes, Dark Samus is humanoid.

No, but Nintendo likes revealing Characters when they be the most relevant. That's the whole deal with Steve being Revealed near Minecon, and Sephiroth being at TGA because FF7R was receiving Awards
Explain every other DLC and every base game newcomer now.

I'll be waiting until you tell be about all 20 of them. Because yes, we're at 20 right now.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I wanted her to laugh. I get that an echo couldn't use her unique abilities, but having her laugh as a taunt shouldn't be off the table.
Yeah, same.

I know she was only able to get in as an echo but the laugh and 2-3 unique moves would have been great. I was surprised she didn't have the Phazon attack she used when she was an AT in Smash 4. Throw her ability to create clones of herself in some way and that would have been 10/10. I'm not even asking for an unique Final Smash lol

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Humanoid- having an appearance or character resembling that of a human.

She (They?) have the basic Structure of a human, though anotomity heavily seems to differ (With having no mouth, a third eye, and a transparent body).
Its does seem like Dark Samus is a form of humanoid
View attachment 298695

By definition, yes, Dark Samus is humanoid.
Having somewhat similar proportions doesn't necessarily mean it "resembles" a human? The creature's body is shaped after the suit of armor, not Samus herself. It's not Samus without no mouth and a third eye, it's Samus's Armor with no mouth and a third eye. I would say the definition is being quite stretched.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I really hope Dark Samus gets decloned eventually, I’m glad shes here (They were my most wanted after Ridley), but she really doesn’t do much.
She has plenty to draw from, I personally think a “corruption” mechanic of sorts could work great for her.
The best Ganondorf can get that completely strays from Captain Falcon is his sword smash attacks. Just imagine how bad it'll be for an echo.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Having somewhat similar proportions doesn't necessarily mean it "resembles" a human? The creature's body is shaped after the suit of armor, not Samus herself. It's not Samus without no mouth and a third eye, it's Samus's Armor with no mouth and a third eye. I would say the definition is being quite stretched.
And the suit itself also has a humanoid shape since a human is supposed to wear it.

Ergo, humanoid suit. Therefore, Dark Samus is a humanoid.

Humanoid =/= Human

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Having somewhat similar proportions doesn't necessarily mean it "resembles" a human? The creature's body is shaped after the suit of armor, not Samus herself. It's not Samus without no mouth and a third eye, it's Samus's Armor without no mouth and a third eye. Again, I would say the definition is being quite stretched.
Well suits of armor are humanoid. They "resemble" the "shape" of a "human."

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Who do you guys think are an eventuality for Smash?
They might not be the next challenger pack, or this pass, or even next game, but they will come.
I think Issac, Waluigi, and A second Sonic Character are gonna come eventually.
Prepare for trouble!
Make it double!
Meowth! That’s right!

DD392A5E-7ED6-4A1C-8A90-3200761161A7.jpeg

Team Rocket for Smash!

You know everyone around the world would lose it if they heard the first few lines of the motto in their Smash reveal trailer.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
The armor itself is humanoid, it has the shape of a human.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Who do you guys think are an eventuality for Smash?
They might not be the next challenger pack, or this pass, or even next game, but they will come.
I think Issac, Waluigi, and A second Sonic Character are gonna come eventually.
There are only 2 certainties in life:
Death and taxes,
Pokemon and Fire Emblem.

Regarding that, Lyn is the most popular Fire Emblem girl of all time so yeah, I think her arrival is... inevitable.
jeb.png

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
The best Ganondorf can get that completely strays from Captain Falcon is his sword smash attacks. Just imagine how bad it'll be for an echo.
I think DS being an echo might actually work in her favor. Echos like her are admitted by Sakurai that they’re appearance is solely because they are easy to make, this can’t be said for Semi-clones like Ganondorf (I remember Sakurai saying something like Wolf taking 70% of the resources of a new fighter).
If Sakurai decided for whatever reason that DS deserved more than an echo, he wouldn’t be hung up on her old appearance.
Combine that with the fact she doesn’t have a Smash Legacy like Ganondorf, and decloning her seems feesible.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I wanted her to laugh. I get that an echo couldn't use her unique abilities, but having her laugh as a taunt shouldn't be off the table.
We are also missing her Theme Song/Boss Song from the Prime Series. It really does seem like Dark Samus was rushed

Explain every other DLC and every base game newcomer now.

I'll be waiting until you tell be about all 20 of them. Because yes, we're at 20 right now.
Well Isabelle is the best example from Base Roster, since she actually tied her reveal to New Animal Crossing for Switch

For the other Base roster characters, I'm not sure, but honestly I treat Base Roster Speculation and DLC Speculation differently

Plant: don't know
Joker: Was revealed at TGA's because the Audience was familiar with Persona 5 (since it was nominated there in previous year(s)

Hero: DQ11 was advertised not only in the Same Direct Hero was revealed (the Trailer was right after his Smash Reveal), but was also advertised in the Presentation

Banjo: I don't know

Terry: I don't know, Though Sakurai did recommend some of the Neo-Geo ports on the Nintendo Switch

Byleth: Revealed Same day as the 1st DLC Expansion

ARMS/Min-Min: A New ARMS Character was revealed along with the free trial for the game, though Min-Min herself was revealed 2-3 months later, around the Anniversary date (But not on it)

Steve: Revealed and Showcased around Minecon, and Minecon was explicitly tied to the presentation

Sephiroth: FF7R was being nominated at TGA, Sephiroth revealed there. Sephiroth's Presentation (and early release) was on Final Fantasy anniversary

They are not gonna choose characters just because they can advertise games (though Byleth, and Arguably Min-Min do have aspects of this in their reasonings of being chosen), but if there is an opportunity to tie a Smash reveal to where that Character/Franchise will be very relevant, Nintendo would likely do it

Those four are probably more known than Sephiroth. I don't think there's much discussion there, and I'm not downplaying Sephiroth here. Sonic characters are easy to recognize even if it's because of their particular designs.

Those four having a bigger reaction than Sephiroth? I honestly doubt it. Not saying they would be poorly received, but if you asked any Smash fan what was more likely a few months ago between getting Sephiroth or Tails/Knucles, almost everyone would have answered "a second Sonic characters feels more likely", myself included.
By that Logic, I'd say Shadow and Knuckles would have massive reactions that rival Sephiroth, since Alot of people still believe Assist rule is in play, and even if they don't, Alot of people feel only Waluigi can break it

add on to the fact of how Memeable Knuckles is, and how Controvirsial of a Character Shadow is

Eggman and Tails might have more "relative lukewarm" reaction compared to Sephiroth, Especially Eggman since alot of people are riding on him right now

SharkLord

Smash Hero
There are only 2 certainties in life:
Death and taxes,
Pokemon and Fire Emblem.

Regarding that, Lyn is the most popular Fire Emblem girl of all time so yeah, I think her arrival is... inevitable.
View attachment 298697
I don't know what's better, the fact that Eliwood is no longer part of the FE7 gang or the implication that Surtr even has a shot

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Plant: don't know
Because there aren't any

Joker: Was revealed at TGA's because the Audience was familiar with Persona 5 (since it was nominated there in previous year(s)
I guess that makes sense? But the audience is familar to it even outside of the VGAs due to how much Internet presence it has had even to this day, so any time could have worked for Nintendo.

It was likely just a direct callback to Persona 5's original reveal. Wasn't on a VGA, but it was still the same idea of Joker interrupting the show.

Hero: DQ11 was advertised not only in the Same Direct Hero was revealed (the Trailer was right after his Smash Reveal), but was also advertised in the Presentation
Coincidence considering how ****ing annoying Nintendo was about DQ XI S for that entire year.

Ever since the first Direct they made a trailer for it, it hasn't missed a single Direct until release. And it was virtually the exact same trailer too.

Banjo: I don't know
There aren't any

Terry: I don't know, Though Sakurai did recommend some of the Neo-Geo ports on the Nintendo Switch
There aren't any. Sakurai is just a SNK fanboy and I'm surprised you never got that with how passionate he was when showing Neo-Geos or Terry in general.

Byleth: Revealed Same day as the 1st DLC Expansion
First off, it was the last DLC expansion.

Second, I think that was more Nintendo taking advantage of the Byleth reveal than the other way around.

Because it would be extremely weird to decide to keep Byleth for the end of Pass 1 just to tie in with a DLC that has no representation whatsoever in Smash.

It's a massive stretch is what it is.

ARMS/Min-Min: A New ARMS Character was revealed along with the free trial for the game, though Min-Min herself was revealed 2-3 months later, around the Anniversary date (But not on it)
Same case as Byleth, being Nintendo taking advantage of the ARMS reveal to throw in a free trial.

As for the anniversary date thing, the fact that it was never mentionned tells me it never mattered.

Or are you one of those tinfoil hat folks who thinks the sole reason Min Min was delayed was just to make it to the anniversary month?

Steve: Revealed and Showcased around Minecon, and Minecon was explicitly tied to the presentation
That I can't argue. But just because you got one right doesn't mean it's a pattern.

Sephiroth: FF7R was being nominated at TGA, Sephiroth revealed there. Sephiroth's Presentation (and early release) was on Final Fantasy anniversary
Sephiroth being revealed there has nothing to do with this. He likely would have been revealed there even if FF7 Remake wasn't nominated because animating Smash trailers, especially one as huge as Sephiroth's, can take a long time. Hell, the Remake wasn't even released when the trailer was storyboarded, which is a reason why it has callbacks to Advent Children instead.

The only realistic ways it could be timed for VGA because of VGAs is either having way more employees than necessary, which would be utter chaos in a work-at-home situation, or to put everyone working on it on 7-day work weeks with crunch time so they can rush out a perfectly polished trailer that usually requires weeks if not months of work in only 5 weeks, since nominees were only announced in November.

Both of those situations are the "realistic" ways this could be a VGA shill, and both of these are completely insane.

It's a coincidence is what it is.

Presentation might be true though, but I can't really say.

hey are not gonna choose characters just because they can advertise games (though Byleth, and Arguably Min-Min do have aspects of this in their reasonings of being chosen), but if there is an opportunity to tie a Smash reveal to where that Character/Franchise will be very relevant, Nintendo would likely do it
Of course first-party will market stuff. They're first-party picks. Actual Nintendo stuff that Nintendo can freely market.

Most first-party picks tend to be for marketing recent games, especially Smash 4.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
im not really an "expert" per se but he does have electric plasma chains he used in one F-Zero GX cutscene, you could draw from that

i never watched the full anime so im only familiar with the WATASHI WA SHINEN SHINENZUUUUU scene but if he has any unique abilities in the anime you can draw from that too ig
I watched the anime, Black Shadow doesn't do much fighting. He doesn't do much of anything except sitting and laughing evilly.

The big secret ability introduced in the anime is to yell "Boost Fire!" and spin around like a Beyblade (no I'm not making this up)

osby

Smash Obsessed
I looked it up and couldn’t find anything, whats the difference?
Sex is determined by DNA (which would make Dark Samus a female) while gender is self-identified and doesn't have to agree with sex (I assume Dark Samus would not have a gender as she's not part of a society that requires one).

Also, this is going off-topic so, uhhh... I hope we get another SEGA character for Smash.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Sex is determined by DNA (which would make Dark Samus a female) while gender is self-identified and doesn't have to agree with sex (I assume Dark Samus would not have a gender as she's not part of a society that requires one).

Also, this is going off-topic so, uhhh... I hope we get another SEGA character for Smash.
I nominate Billy Hatcher!

Please...

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

Thanks for explaining.
I personally think the next Smash game will have Nintendo characters in it.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Because there aren't any

I guess that makes sense? But the audience is familar to it even outside of the VGAs due to how much Internet presence it has had even to this day, so any time could have worked for them.

It was likely just a direct callback to Persona 5's original reveal. Wasn't on a VGA, but it was still the same idea of Joker interrupting the show.

Coincidence considering how ****ing annoying Nintendo was about DQ XI S for that entire year.

Ever since the first Direct they made a trailer for it, it hasn't missed a single Direct until release. And it was virtually the exact same trailer too.

There aren't any

There aren't any. Sakurai is just a SNK fanboy and I'm surprised you never got that with how passionate he was when showing Neo-Geos or Terry in general.

First off, it was the last DLC expansion.

Second, I think that was more Nintendo taking advantage of the Byleth reveal than the other way around.

Because it would be extremely weird to decide to keep Byleth for the end of Pass 1 just to tie in with a DLC that has no representation whatsoever in Smash.

It's a massive stretch is what it is.

Same case as Byleth, being Nintendo taking advantage of the ARMS reveal to throw in a free trial.

As for the anniversary date thing, the fact that it was never mentionned tells me it never mattered.

Or are you one of those tinfoil hat folks who thinks the sole reason Min Min was delayed was just to make it to the anniversary month?

That I can't argue. But just because you got one right doesn't mean it's a pattern.

Sephiroth being revealed there has nothing to do with this. He likely would have been revealed there even if FF7 Remake wasn't nominated because animating Smash trailers, especially one as huge as Sephiroth's, can take a long time. Hell, the Remake wasn't even released when the trailer was storyboarded, which is a reason why it has callbacks to Advent Children instead.

The only realistic ways it could be timed for VGA because of VGAs is either having way more employees than necessary, which would be utter chaos in a work-at-home situation, or to put everyone working on it on 7-day work weeks with crunch time so they can rush out a perfectly polished trailer that usually requires weeks if not months of work in only 5 weeks, since nominees were only announced in November.

Both of those situations are the "realistic" ways this could be a VGA shill, and both of these are completely insane.

It's a coincidence is what it is.

Presentation might be true though, but I can't really say.

Of course first-party will market stuff. They're first-party picks. Actual Nintendo stuff that Nintendo can freely market.

Most first-party picks tend to be for marketing recent games, especially Smash 4.
You made some good points

-I know about Sakurai being a Massive Fan of SNK and it's franchises, Though it could also have the effect of getting more purchases on the Eshop. I do think this was mostly to get the audience watching the presentation to be more familiar with Terry and SNK as a whole, like Sakurai is

-the Sephiroth point is actually a Good Point. I don't think the Trailer was created specfically for TGA, but I could see a Scenraio where there was a change of plans or something like that

I recall that Dorito Pope himself asked Nintendo if they had any Smash trailers they wanted at TGA's, which suggests that it wasn't intially apart of the plan, but Nintendo might have saw that FF7R was gonna have a presence there and decide now is the best time to reveal the trailer

Nintendo could have just did a Separate thing on their own like they did with Byleth and Steve.

I think with most of the characters, advertising is not apart of the reasons a character was chosen, but I do think if Nintendo does see an opportunity to perhaps make a reveal coincide with another event that involves the franchise to get more eyes on the Smash reveal, they probably will do it. There's no harm in doing that and only benefits by having more attention on the Smash reveal. Again I don't think it's a reason most characters get picked or anything like that

Who do you think will win the Sega War for a spot in FP2, if we get a Sega Character?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I nominate Billy Hatcher!

Please...
How would he play like? I only know that ge rolls huge eggs around and has elemental properties on certain attacks.

Thanks for explaining.
I personally think the next Smash game will have Nintendo characters in it.
I doubt it. After Steve, it's pretty much a given that Smash 6 will kick Mario out and replace him with Hatsune Miku.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom