• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Tales of Vesperia did get the same treatment as Tales of Symphonia, where I think they were the only two 3D Tales games to get a ported version with more features. Basically, Tales of Symphonia got a PS2 version in Japan that had more content than the Gamecube version and the same happened with Tales of Vesperia where it was released on Xbox 360 first, than got a PS3 version that had ALOT more content.
But compared to Tales of Symphonia, which I think only got more costumes and some extra non-story cutscenes, Tales of Vesperia PS3 added 2 new characters to play as, gave more Artes for the characters, had a lot new extra features and bonus scenes, and even added alot of new story scenes that took place during the main story. Like Tales of Vesperia's definitive version was frickin' packed.

Tales of Vesperia also got something rare compared to the other games. Whereas other Tales series got an anime that is basically the game, but in anime episodes, Tales of Vesperia didn't get an anime in the same vein, but it did get a Prequel anime that showed Yuri's time in the knights and how he met Repede before the events of the game. As far as I've checked, no other Tales series got the same treatment where they got an anime that was a prequel or sequel to the game. It didn't get a sequel like Tales of Symphonia or Tales of Xillia, but Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition, with how much new story it added, might as well have been Tales of Vesperia 2.0. So Tales of Vesperia did get quite alot of attention from Namco Bandai.
Tales of Vesperia HD: 1.5 Definitive Final ReMix.

Really though, the amount of additional content is matched by very little. The Final Mix versions of Kingdom Hearts titles is the only applicable comparison I can think of. There are GotY Editions that offer even more, but most of that content is available separately as DLC initially.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Currently I think the topic is Tales rep discussions, largely revolving around Yuri and Lloyd.
I doubt we're getting a Tales rep. But if we do get one, it'll definitely be Lloyd. The main man is on record seeing him as the only viable option. Game, set, and match. I don't get why this is even a debate.

That's all, bye, I'll come back when something interesting happens.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Bah, bah. I forgot about this place. Did I miss anything? Any spicy breadcrumbs to warrant not crawling back under my rock?
i wish we had something... all we (still) have are the Chun-Lloyd rumor, the KOS-MOS/Reimu/Crash rumor and.... discussing potential not leaked deviations and thats it lmao

Firox

Smash Master
If we were to assume that Lloyd (and all of the Tales series) gets the shaft, who would you say are Namco's top three remaining contenders?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If we were to assume that Lloyd (and all of the Tales series) gets the shaft, who would you say are Namco's top three remaining contenders?
i guess their most popular non-tales characters overall? in no order:
  • Nightmare (or Soul Calibur in general, I'd like to see a female like Sophitia)
  • KOS-MOS (I KNOW her series is dead, jeez, but Namco sees her as one of their mascots all the same)
  • Haruka Amami Dark Souls character
i don't have any faith in Tekken after Heihachi's mii returned

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
  • Nightmare (or Soul Calibur in general, I'd like to see a female like Sophitia)
  • KOS-MOS (I KNOW her series is dead, jeez, but Namco sees her as one of their mascots all the same)
Namco doesn't, Monolith Soft does.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
  • Agumon
  • Nightmare
  • Heihachi
  • Jin or Kazuya
(In reverse order)

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I really hope that if Soul Calibur gets representation that we don't get Nightmare. I know he's the poster boy of the franchise and all but I completely refuse to buy another big guy with an over-sized sword. Sophitia would definitely be welcome. I'd also go for Ivy or Taki. Ivy's whip sword could be cool and still unique from Byleth's and Taki could fill the pseudo-realistic ninja slot whether Ryu H ends up happening or not.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Whoops. Youre right on the Capcom thing.

But spirit shmirit. It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.
Maybe if it didn't take until FP2 to promote one, and she wasn't from the base game.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I really hope that if Soul Calibur gets representation that we don't get Nightmare. I know he's the poster boy of the franchise and all but I completely refuse to buy another big guy with an over-sized sword. Sophitia would definitely be welcome. I'd also go for Ivy or Taki. Ivy's whip sword could be cool and still unique from Byleth's and Taki could fill the pseudo-realistic ninja slot whether Ryu H ends up happening or not.
“man screw that big sword, I prefer sword, whip sword, or daggers.”

taki could be cool, ivy and sophitia are just as derivative as Nightmare would be. also, there’s a running trend in your 3 choices, lol.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
To be honest, I don't see a Bamco character happening this pass with these Namco mii costumes dropped unceremoniously in the first two packs. Could Lloyd/Yuri or some other Bamco character still happen? It's not impossible, but the chances seem low if you ask me. Maybe in FP3 if Nintendo change their mind about ending DLC development with FP2.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
The Lloyd vs. Yuri debate isn't exactly something new, it's pretty similar to what when Sakurai considered which Final Fantasy and Castlevania characters to add respectively. On the one hand, you have Cloud, Alucard, and Yuri, the protagonists of the most popular entries within their respective franchises. On the other hand, you have Terra/Bartz, a playable Belmont, and Lloyd, protagonists with a strong Nintendo connection and longer legacies than their competition.

Obviously, in Final Fantasy's case, Cloud won out. According to Sakurai, it seems the issue that Cloud was too iconic for both the general public and too popular among the Smash fanbase to pass up. There was concern that people wouldn't recognize Terra or Bartz, while Sakurai notes that was Cloude up 1/3 to 1/4 of overall requests for an FF character in Smash (presumably the most of any candidate).

In Castlevania's case, Sakurai once again mentioned that more people would be the most recognizable possible character, but clarified that he felt a Belmont would make "fans" happier. Now, Sakurai never really clarified if he was referring to Smash fans or Castlevania fans (or both). However, I honestly think he's talking more about Smash's fanbase than Castlevania's, simply because the Castlevania fanbase still holds Alucard (and SotN) in very high regard.

So, how does this factor into Yuri vs. Lloyd? I think it paints a better picture for Lloyd than Yuri. The difference in recognizability between Yuri and Lloyd is far closer Alucard and Simon than Cloud and Terra. Cloud is one of gaming's most iconic and popular characters, period. He's the face of the 12th best selling series in all of gaming, has appeared in countless crossovers and spin-offs, and even had his own theatrical film. Yuri's simply not at that level.

Similarly, it's worth noting that Sakurai took how requested a character was in the context of Smash when deciding on both Cloud and the Belmonts. Lloyd has, historically, outperformed Yuri in most Smash fan polls. For example, Lloyd ranked 23rd in Source Gaming's 2020 Mega Smash Poll, while Yuri ranked 66th. While no fan poll is perfect, they are the best method we have available of gauging the overall fanbase's attitudes towards certain characters. As such, it really seems like Lloyd is more popular in the context of Smash than Yuri.

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
1. Dark Souls
2. Soulcalibur
3. Tekken

Honestly, a potential Dark Souls character doesn`t get as much discussion as it should. Its popularity easily rivals or overtakes other Namco series like Tekken and Soulcalibur. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we got Chosen Undead or someone as the Namco rep.

Aside from that, I thought Tekken would have been super likely to be the next Namco series represented in Smash, but after that Heihachi mii... I dunno. Even if Heihachi wasn`t going to be the Tekken rep, it just seems weird the costume wasn't announced with a Tekken character. Who really knows though, stranger things have happened.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Which reminds me, having played 3 Houses, I have HUGE doubts as to this “Byleth’s moveset is just Monster Hunter reskinned” theory going around. Byleth’s moves are pretty direct references to specific attacks in 3 Houses, minus the tether.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Tagging Hinata Hinata just because I want to ask again about music mods: can a song be in two or more categories at once?

No particular reason I'm asking this.

(For real tho, I'm wondering if, say, CvS music could play on both Suzaku Castle and King of Fighters Stadium. Or the F-Zero rendition of Rainbow Road on both F-Zero and Mario stages.)

Also, what about songs with multiple "phases", like the SF themes that change during the last stock? Do they require special coding as well?
Yes, you can add a song to as many categories as you want. And songs with multiple phases are called "pinch songs", which the program can handle for you.

If you're interested, the program to add songs is public now, and I wrote up a tutorial on how to use it. https://gamebanana.com/tuts/13677

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yes, you can add a song to as many categories as you want. And songs with multiple phases are called "pinch songs", which the program can handle for you.

If you're interested, the program to add songs is public now, and I wrote up a tutorial on how to use it. https://gamebanana.com/tuts/13677
pinch songs
so like... for example, a track from F-Zero GX shifting to the FINAL LAP portion when there's one minute remaining, or the SwSh gym theme shifting to the Dynamax portion when the first combatant is down to one stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom