• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Apparently not even a piece of black attire underneath her usual clothes ain't enough for them eh? Fine censoring Palutena and Corrin apparently though.
To be fair, Palu, Corrin, and Bayo are fully-fledged fighters and the team would have to be prepared to run through different interpretations if something doesn't work. Mai would just be a randomly-decided stage cameo, and I don't think she'd get as much priority in this situation

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
^ this

I know, I know, FFVII but technically the music Cloud had was brought over from 4; Sephiroth just added more. if a new series/installment had their music added before a playable IN ULTIMATE ITSELF, it doesn't bode well imo
Those aren't every single Metal Slug song in existence, it's odd that one of SNK's bigger franchises would get such tiny representation, and they can even use Ikari team themes from KoF if they want.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I hope the next character in the pass is either a brawler or gunner type character. Especially a gunner character because the roster is definitely lacking in that department. In fact the next 3 characters should all be gunners.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Since I suspect Lloyd will returning as a Mii as well I think one of the other three will be a swordfighter.

Whether it's Yuri, Nightmare, or just some other swordsmen who might not even be Namco is up to question.
I'd worry about Zero and X being Mii costumes more tbh, unless they have plans to help Mega Man's representation include more X content.
They'll probably also come with the supposed Capcom rep as with Monster Hunter.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Not that it's likely, but what are the chances that they might put a 2nd SNK rep in the game? Mai can't appear in the game in any form because of being too naughty for good bois and gurls and the rest of the notable Fatal Fury/King of Fighters/Metal Slug/ect are either Mii costumes or Spirits. So if they did go with another SNK rep, they would probably have to go with someone more obscure which I don't see happening.
We’re definitely not getting another SNK character. But if we did it’d be Kyo. He’s the face of the King of Fighters series & was strangely absent from the Mii costumes.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
They'll probably also come with the supposed Capcom rep as with Monster Hunter.
They were already released. The only hope they really have is if the lack of an X stage/Maverick spirits/more than 3 songs from the X series is something they want to fix.
We’re definitely not getting another SNK character. But if we did it’d be Kyo. He’s the face of the King of Fighters series & was strangely absent from the Mii costumes.
That seems to be because Sakurai's more of an Iori fan. Besides, Metal Slug has less content than KoF.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Perhaps Lloyd could be this Pass’s “Smash fan pick” similar to Banjo? His support isn’t as strong as Banjo’s was, but it’s been around for a long time & was pretty strong back in 2018. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think that there could be a choice that’s had a big presence in Smash fan polls again.

I honestly don’t think Namco would be that picky about the Tales character, they seem really chill when it comes to Smash. They just seem happy to be here.

I don’t have any experience with the Tales series (I just bought Vesperia though, I’ll try to play it soon) but I lowkey want a Tales rep to see who they’ll pick. There’s a lot of good arguments for both Lloyd & Yuri. It’d be interesting to see Sakurai/Namco explain why they went with whoever got in.
Yeah, Lloyd could fill that niche. He wouldn't be someone who got in primarily through fan support like Banjo, what with how big Tales is, but if there isn't any other major "fan-favorites" like, say, Isaac, I think we could count him as one.

And yeah, it doesn't seem like Bamco is too picky. They'd probably just go "Hey Nintendo, can you get Sakurai to put a Tales character in Smash?" and Nintendo will go to Sakurai and go "Hey Sakurai, Bamco wants a Tales character in Smash. Surely it can't be too much work to make it happen, right?" Sakurai probably wouldn't have much issue with a Tales character, and assuming his mind hasn't changed since the Lloyd Mii, he'd probably go with Lloyd.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Despite Waluigi being the more popular Assist Trophy character, I could see Isaac getting promoted first from the snow globe over him. It could go either way or some other Assist Trophy like Krystal, Skull Kid, or Shovel Knight will get that honor. Oh! Or Bomberman. I can't believe I forgot about Bomberman.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Slight rant, but "Good boys and girls" has probably become my least favorite excuse in speculation as of late

Just because there's characters showing a notable amount of skin or cleavage doesn't mean an automatic no-go. Ultimate has the "Suggestive Themes" (Not "Mild Suggestive Themes", mind you) ESRB descriptor fo a reason. And if characters need to be censored, they will do so, as seen with the likes of Corrin and Bayo.

I do think think Mai was a bit of an extreme case. It was either due to her cameo not being high priority enough to meddle with, and/or SNK might've had some pushback in order to keep her image as a sexy character intact. I don't think this'll be the norm for every case.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Slight rant, but "Good boys and girls" has probably become my least favorite excuse in speculation as of late

Just because there's characters showing a notable amount of skin or cleavage doesn't mean an automatic no-go. Ultimate has the "Suggestive Themes" (Not "Mild Suggestive Themes", mind you) ESRB descriptor fo a reason. And if characters need to be censored, they will do so, as seen with the likes of Corrin and Bayo.

I do think think Mai was a bit of an extreme case. It was either due to her cameo not being high priority enough to meddle with, and/or SNK might've had some pushback in order to keep her image as a sexy character intact. I don't think this'll be the norm for every case.
Yeah... But CERO is more controlling than the ESRB from what I've heard.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I’m willing to bet it’s the latter personally

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Yeah... But CERO is more controlling than the ESRB from what I've heard.
Krystal (Like if they wanted they could have put her in her suit when she joined StarFox)? Phosphora? And those are just assists.

Zero Suit Samus' last two alts?

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Yeah, I think we're taking that comment a bit too seriously. Mai's an extremely fanservicey character with very little coverage-Especially in taboo areas-Who would've been a cameo anyways. She might not have been worth the effort to try and redesign, and I feel like it's a bit shallow to shoot down someone like, say, Morrigan or 2B based on that. Not only are they much more covered-Closer to Bayonetta rather than Mai-They would be a fighter rather than a cameo, and the dev team would most likely work harder to make sure CERO would let them through

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Seems like the general consensus here is a Capcom Rep, a Bamco Rep, and a wildcard of some kind.
If one were to assume at least two more third parties, I'd guess Sega and Capcom feel like the frontrunners, followed by Konami and Namco as having decent chances, with the likes of Ubisoft, Bethesda, and Activision as the less probable wild cards.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Despite Waluigi being the more popular Assist Trophy character, I could see Isaac getting promoted first from the snow globe over him. It could go either way or some other Assist Trophy like Krystal, Skull Kid, or Shovel Knight will get that honor. Oh! Or Bomberman. I can't believe I forgot about Bomberman.
I mainly see them trying to go for characters whose challenger packs can fill out notable gaps in their series' representation, like ARMS having no fighter, stage, or music, or FF having only two songs and no non-Cloud spirits. For example, GS has no new songs, stage, or fighter, and Mega Man X has barely anything as I've previously stated, while Mario has plenty of songs and spirits already.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah, I think we're taking that comment a bit too seriously. Mai's an extremely fanservicey character with very little coverage-Especially in taboo areas-Who would've been a cameo anyways. She might not have been worth the effort to try and redesign, and I feel like it's a bit shallow to shoot down someone like, say, Morrigan or 2B based on that. Not only are they much more covered-Closer to Bayonetta rather than Mai-They would be a fighter rather than a cameo, and the dev team would most likely work harder to make sure CERO would let them through
they have like literal art festivals for Mai in Japan. she's pretty much a sex symbol and pop culture icon there so it wouldn't surprise me if they saw her as a Sacred Cow in that aspect

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
They had Ratchet from Ratchet & Clank too? (I’m assuming that’s him)

OMG MASTER CHIEF??

...and is that heckin GladOS lmao
Yep - they were exclusive to the PS4, Xbox One, and Steam versions, respectively. (the character on the far right isn't GLaDOS, but it's one of the co-op robots from Portal 2. Having a playable GLaDOS would be great, though)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Honestly, it feels like a misogynistic dogwhistle. You see female characters get shot down for that ASAP despite having multiple depictions be perfectly fine in children's media, especially when it's used on characters who're less fanservicey than stuff already included in Ultimate

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I mainly see them trying to go for characters whose challenger packs can fill out notable gaps in their series' representation, like ARMS having no fighter, stage, or music, or FF having only two songs and no non-Cloud spirits. For example, GS has no new songs, stage, or fighter, and Mega Man X has barely anything as I've previously stated, while Mario has plenty of songs and spirits already.
I somewhat agree with you. But I think if we are getting another Nintendo rep in this game that isn't Assist Trophy, it's going to be a 2nd Xenoblade rep like Elma or Rex & Pyra. Xenoblade has been hot since before the base game and it is one of the relevant Nintendo franchises missing a new rep in this game. Plus it's long overdue for a 2nd rep

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Unfortunately, Bomberman was butchered and skinned to create his Mii Costume.

In terms of upgrades, I'm eyeing character who have enough content to support a full Challenger Pack; Specifically, Isaac and Shovel Knight. The former is more of a darkhorse, kept afloat by the possibility of a fan-favorite character, while the latter is self-explanatory, being an icon of the indie scene.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Closest I see to us getting "assist promotions" are those Mii costumes like Bomberman.

Otherwise,they wouldn't have gone out of their way to making the Bomberman Mii looking exactly like his assist counterpart and actually promoted him up instead.

Last edited:

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
As someone who`s never played a Tales game and isn`t very familiar with the fanbase, I`m wondering why people on here are thinking that Yuri would be a more likely rep than Lloyd. Prior to the Chun-Li/Tales discussion, I was seeing Lloyd being more heavily favoured as a potential Tales rep, or maybe I missed the Yuri support, so I'm wondering why the discussion has shifted so much.

From what I understand, Lloyd seems to be more well known overall, but Yuri is more popular within the actual Tales fanbase, which seems pretty accurate to me seeing as I'm not super familiar with the series but I know more about Lloyd than Yuri. Also, I know there are other popular Tales characters too but those are the one's I see being most talked about.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
As someone who`s never played a Tales game and isn`t very familiar with the fanbase, I`m wondering why people on here are thinking that Yuri would be a more likely rep than Lloyd. Prior to the Chun-Li/Tales discussion, I was seeing Lloyd being more heavily favoured as a potential Tales rep, or maybe I missed the Yuri support, so I'm wondering why the discussion has shifted so much.

From what I understand, Lloyd seems to be more well known overall, but Yuri is more popular within the actual Tales fanbase, which seems pretty accurate to me seeing as I'm not super familiar with the series but I know more about Lloyd than Yuri. Also, I know there are other popular Tales characters too but those are the one's I see being most talked about.
Because of the returning trend of Sm4sh Miis. They've all returned with only Monster Hunter and Lloyd left. I'm feeling those two are also gonna return coming with a Capcom rep and swordsman character/Namco rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom