• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roguewolf

Smash Lord
Ya know, before you posted this, I wasn't sure if you were trolling or not, but after reading this, think this image summarize my thoughts pretty well:
View attachment 298187
If by trolling you mean joking then you should know I’m joking for 90 percent of my life

Except about yellow Kirby and Pac-Man making me wolf whistle so hard my head becomes a steam whistle and then my legs turn to literal jelly and i fall into the sewage system

Unless I am joking about that
Which I probably am
Except I’m not
Unless

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
If by trolling you mean joking then you should know I’m joking for 90 percent of my life

Except about yellow Kirby and Pac-Man making me wolf whistle so hard my head becomes a steam whistle and then my legs turn to literal jelly and i fall into the sewage system

Unless I am joking about that
Which I probably am
Except I’m not
Unless
I was joking too.

So really, we're all a bunch of jokerz.
reyn time (2).png

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'm finding myself curious about when Nintendo will begin to roll out news again. While I don't expect anything Smash related until March, given there are some notable winter/spring releases coming, I would expect some gradual efforts a reveals/showcases relatively soon.
I think we could expect a mini direct at the very least near the end of this month that goes into detail about Super Mario 3D world's Bowser's fury mode.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Speaking of Wii U ports...

gee I sure do hope a certain epic open world RPG leaves its Wii U confines soon...

we got a freakin TOKYO MIRAGE SESSIONS port before it, so yeah do the thing Nintendo. XCDE exceeded sales expectations too so
Broke: Sexy Pyramid Head

Woke: Chibi Pyramid Head

View attachment 298191
Why does he look like he’d fit right in in Puyo Puyo?

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I find the Loyd vs Yuri argument kinda funny. We’ve been talking almost exclusively about Loyd since the beginning of DLC speculation and now suddenly he has massive competition.

It really just comes down as to whether or not Nintendo goes for the most iconic character, or the most popular character. Its kinda like Min Min Vs Spring Man, Min Min was vastly more popular, but Spring Man was the dude plastered all over the boxart and such.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
I find the Loyd vs Yuri argument kinda funny. We’ve been talking almost exclusively about Loyd since the beginning of DLC speculation and now suddenly he has massive competition.

It really just comes down as to whether or not Nintendo goes for the most iconic character, or the most popular character. Its kinda like Min Min Vs Spring Man, Min Min was vastly more popular, but Spring Man was the dude plastered all over the boxart and such.
I would say that it is rather the most popular in the Smash community vs the most popular in the Tales community.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I mean an actual head yeah, maybe. But still incredibly deformed. The “block of meat” is still his head and is likely what he would look like underneath all of his different forms.

This glob on the back of his neck comes directly from SH2. His head even designed by “Ito” is not what one would consider a normal head.
Well, now we fall into the category of interpretation. Ito never actually sketched the head. He never even clarified the importance of the “neck pillow” as the person he replied to called it.
My personal belief is that the head underneath is simply James head, considering the symbolism and all that.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
While I would never say popularity doesn’t matter, it seems very often that it’s used as a reason for a character to be chosen over another, sometimes without other support.

“If we get an upgrade, it’ll definitely be Waluigi, Isaac, or Geno!” We got Min Min. Granted, Min Min was among the most popular ARMS characters.

Like I see the argument with Lloyd vs. Yuri, and Yuri being the more popular pick among Tales fans. But Lloyd is the character non-Tales fans recognize at a higher level. While obviously not at the same scale based on the size of the series, SharkLord SharkLord has mentioned in the past that Lloyd is similar to Cloud in terms of TOS being the FF7 of the series. That said, Cloud himself is among the most popular, if not THE most popular Final Fantasy character.

Basically, sure. Yuri is popular. But it doesn’t mean Lloyd isn’t popular, and that popularity alone would put Yuri in the game. I’m not necessarily anti-Yuri as much as I am pro-Lloyd, and that could change if I play Tales of Vesperia. I just don’t know if popularity on its own is a reliable factor when it comes to character probability.
Personally I don't think the Cloud-Lloyd comparison works at all.

I mean I get what SharkLord was trying to explain with that, but while Tales of Symphony was the first JRPG or the first Tales games for a good amount of people, that game was a GameCube exclusive back in the day. Meaning that probably not a lot of people experienced it back in the day. Which is pretty much the opposite of what Final Fantasy VII was, which released in a much more succesful console and therefore reached a lot more of people. Not to say Final Fantasy was already decently popular in the West before VII. Besides that, Final Fantasy VII became basically one of the most iconic games of all time and for a lot of people it's the JRPG game.

I know the comparison wasn't about Lloyd or Tales of Symphonia being as known/succesful as Cloud/FFVII, but for that same reason I don't think Lloyd over Yuri is that of a given. Tales, while it's clearly an important and decently sized series, isn't a massive juggernaut worldwide as Final Fantasy. Maybe I'm alone with this take but Lloyd isn't really more recognizable than other protagonists in the series among non-Tales fans. He is, though, among Smash fans and to an extent, the general Nintendo crowd. That's for sure.
But if we speak of the general gaming audience, I'm pretty much sure Lloyd isn't more recognizable than Yuri or other Tales characters by a good margin.

As I said, I could be wrong, but I don't think non-Tales fans would recognize Lloyd first (or any Tales character for that matter). Again, when I say this, I'm talking about your regular gamer, who might own a Xbox, a Playstation or a PC. Not necessarily a Nintendo fan.
I agree that in Smash context Lloyd is definitely more popular and recognizable. To an extent, he's also probably more known among regular Nintendo fans who maybe aren't into Smash, though I don't think the difference here would be impressive.

In other words: would Nintendo want to please the hardcore Smash fans in this case? I don't know, maybe, but looking at all the DLC characters we have gotten so far, I wouldn't say "pleasing hardcore Smash fans" is their first priority.

I still think it's pretty much a 50-50 situation, and how Nintendo would approach Sakurai about including a Tales character would be a key part of the result, in my opinion.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I would say that it is rather the most popular in the Smash community vs the most popular in the Tales community.
Thats fair, I really don’t know much about Tales as a series. All I heard was the name Loyd for forever and now suddenly this new dude is here with massive popularity from the same series.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
Thats fair, I really don’t know much about Tales as a series. All I heard was the name Loyd for forever and now suddenly this new dude is here with massive popularity from the same series.
Understandable Yuri only started getting considered by the smash community recently in large part because more Tales fans are talking and speculating and giving the points of Yuri's popularity in the Tales community.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think it's largely because of Vesperia Definitive Edition putting Yuri in the spotlight, causing people to go "Oh hey this guy's actually pretty popular" after checking out his game.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think it's largely because of Vesperia Definitive Edition putting Yuri in the spotlight, causing people to go "Oh hey this guy's actually pretty popular" after checking out his game.
And the fact that Yuri is literally banned from popularity polls because he won too much.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Pfft, y'all with your shirtless alts.

call me when your character is shirtless by default
View attachment 298193
Pfft, we already got Bowsers Sr. and Jr., Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Mete Knight, the Pokemon reps (excluding the Trainers, of course), Mr. Game & Watch (?), R.O.B., Duck Hunt, Sonic, Pac-Man, Prianha Plant, K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo-Kazooie.

Ivander

Smash Legend
What’s Square Enix’s equivalent of “innocent outside, disturbing inside”?
God, when I first thought this, I was really thinking hard about this one, but couldn't really find any contenders. Than at some point, I finally remembered a game that Square Enix now technically owns, but the game was originally done by Taito for the DS. This works as a contender for Taito too, but since Square Enix now technically owns it, this is actually a great contender for Square Enix now.

The game is called Lost Magic for the DS. It's basically an Tactical RPG-like game where you use the Touch Screen to create symbols to unleash magic on your foes, sort of like Okami where you use the Brush for some moves, but for this game, it's practically used for all of your attacks. But you also control a huge array of monsters that you use to protect your Mage character. In terms of the artstyle, it is very chibi and cutesy. But anyway, for the story:

You play as a young prodigy who is caught up in helping a young girl trying to stop the main antagonist, her sister, who ends up slowly becoming insane and wants to become the new Creator and kill all humans because All Humans are ******** and it doesn't help that the monsters in the game were created from humans. The main antagonist has brainwashed almost of the Sages, including your father who is the Sage of Light. Only 2 are still okay. You and the girl, who is eventually revealed to be the Sage of Wind, eventually team up with the Sage of Dark to un-brainwash the other sages, in which after you help them, they give you a Duo Rune.
At the half-way point however, you then have to make a choice. A 1 out of 2 choice. And you would think, what could something disturbing come out of a 1 out of 2 choice? If you make the correct choice, then it plays out as normal. Everything is still innocent and fun and nothing wrong and it plays out like what you would expect out of an RPG that looks very cutesy and chibi-like............................
If you make the wrong choice, however...........good frickin' lord. Be warned because this choice makes Telltale choices look like frickin' bunny rabbits. Go into the Inline spoilers if you dare...

Basically, the main antagonist has managed to capture her sister and you have to make a choice of giving her the last Staff she needs to bring up the Tower of Balance where she can start her plans to rescue the girl. If you listen to the main antagonist and give her the staff in exchange for the girl's life, it plays as normal. The main antagonist becomes the new Creator, but you get the legendary Trio Runes as well as a new staff capable of fighting the New Creator and you pull a "Did you beat Cthulhu" moment. But if you listen to the girl you've been working with and Don't give her the staff, it results in something where the girl is suddenly gone and the main character thinks he ended up killing her.
This allows the main antagonist to mind control you. And what does she make you do? She has you start killing all of the Sages that you rescued from her brainwashing, as well as others in the crossfire. Like not in a cutscene fashion. You don't watch a cutscene where you kill them, no. You actually play this entire route, level by level, killing all of the Sages in total "Would You Kindly" fashion. That also includes your father and the Sage of Dark whom you were working with. You, the player, can only watch horrified as you are forced play the main character, who is mind controlled, and kill all the people you helped.

Eventually you find that the girl who was working with you miraculously survived, but the main character is still brainwashed and the girl is the last stand for humanity. You are forced to fight her. When you defeat her, you then get one last choice. To either kill her or stop yourself from killing her. If you stop yourself from killing her, the game just ends with the main antogonist as the new Creator, but the two of you are still alive. If you choose to kill her, the main antagonist kills the main character shortly after and becomes the new Creator.
Basically, make the right choice and everything is a-okay. Make the wrong choice, and good lord, does it get dark. And all this in a kid's game with chibi, cutesy art and developed by frickin' Taito of all companies.
And you get all this because of one choice. ONE CHOICE! Most games that give you multiple choices usually have the different endings decided by the amount of which choices you've done. In most cases, one choice can give you a new character or item, but overall mean nothing for a game with one ending. In other cases, it's just the one choice that decides simply which simple ending you want, like Streets of Rage and Demon Souls and etc. Here, it's frickin' one choice that decides whether you play the game as normal or you play an entire route where you end up killing everyone against your will. And to think this choice is called "The Sadistic Choice" when you are encouraged by the characters who were working with you to not give the last Staff to the main antagonist. Good lord...

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
God, when I first thought this, I was really thinking hard about this one, but couldn't really find any contenders. Than at some point, I finally remembered a game that Square Enix now technically owns, but the game was originally done by Taito for the DS. This works as a contender for Taito too, but since Square Enix now technically owns it, this is actually a great contender for Square Enix now.

The game is called Lost Magic for the DS. It's basically an Tactical RPG-like game where you use the Touch Screen to create symbols to unleash magic on your foes, sort of like Okami where you use the Brush for some moves, but for this game, it's practically used for all of your attacks. But you also control a huge array of monsters that you use to protect your Mage character. In terms of the artstyle, it is very chibi and cutesy. But anyway, for the story:

You play as a young prodigy who is caught up in helping a young girl trying to stop the main antagonist, her sister, who ends up slowly becoming insane and wants to become the new Creator and kill all humans because All Humans are ******** and it doesn't help that the monsters in the game were created from humans. The main antagonist has brainwashed almost of the Sages, including your father who is the Sage of Light. Only 2 are still okay. You and the girl, who is eventually revealed to be the Sage of Wind, eventually team up with the Sage of Dark to un-brainwash the other sages, in which after you help them, they give you a Duo Rune.
At the half-way point however, you then have to make a choice. A 1 out of 2 choice. And you would think, what could something disturbing come out of a 1 out of 2 choice? If you make the correct choice, then it plays out as normal. Everything is still innocent and fun and nothing wrong and it plays out like what you would expect out of an RPG that looks very cutesy and chibi-like............................
If you make the wrong choice, however...........good frickin' lord. Be warned because this choice makes Telltale choices look like frickin' bunny rabbits. Go into the Inline spoilers if you dare...

Basically, the main antagonist has managed to capture her sister and you have to make a choice of giving her the last Staff she needs to bring up the Tower of Balance where she can start her plans to rescue the girl. If you listen to the main antagonist and give her the staff in exchange for the girl's life, it plays as normal. The main antagonist becomes the new Creator, but you get the legendary Trio Runes as well as a new staff capable of fighting the New Creator and you pull a "Did you beat Cthulhu" moment. But if you listen to the girl you've been working with and Don't give her the staff, it results in something where the girl is suddenly gone and the main character thinks he ended up killing her.
This allows the main antagonist to mind control you. And what does she make you do? She has you start killing all of the Sages that you rescued from her brainwashing, as well as others in the crossfire. Like not in a cutscene fashion. You don't watch a cutscene where you kill them, no. You actually play this entire route, level by level, killing all of the Sages in total "Would You Kindly" fashion. That also includes your father and the Sage of Dark whom you were working with. You, the player, can only watch horrified as you are forced play the main character, who is mind controlled, and kill all the people you helped.

Eventually you find that the girl who was working with you miraculously survived, but the main character is still brainwashed and the girl is the last stand for humanity. You are forced to fight her. When you defeat her, you then get one last choice. To either kill her or stop yourself from killing her. If you stop yourself from killing her, the game just ends with the main antogonist as the new Creator, but the two of you are still alive. If you choose to kill her, the main antagonist kills the main character shortly after and becomes the new Creator.
Basically, make the right choice and everything is a-okay. Make the wrong choice, and good lord, does it get dark. And all this in a kid's game with chibi, cutesy art and developed by frickin' Taito of all companies.
And you get all this because of one choice. ONE CHOICE! Most games that give you multiple choices usually have the different endings decided by the amount of which choices you've done. In most cases, one choice can give you a new character or item, but overall mean nothing for a game with one ending. In other cases, it's just the one choice that decides simply which simple ending you want, like Streets of Rage and Demon Souls and etc. Here, it's frickin' one choice that decides whether you play the game as normal or you play an entire route where you end up killing everyone against your will. And to think this choice is called "The Sadistic Choice" when you are encouraged by the characters who were working with you to not give the last Staff to the main antagonist. Good lord...
I

i

WHAT THE EVER LOVING #{^}{+~{+$&?!?!!???

AND ITS RATED E FOR EVERYONE. NOT T. NOT E10+. REGULAR. ASS. E.

im

I need to sit down wtfffffff

OffBrandANON

Smash Cadet

for some reason, i am vaguely reminded of neptunia with that sort of "playable bad end" thing.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Who needs a shirtless alt when you're already shirtless AND got some sicks demonic tatoos?
Well mine's completely nude, and has sick divine tattoos (probably not tattoos but youknowwutimean)!

1609783874674.png

EDIT: Erm...Not that I find her attractive in that way. I just noticed the implications of this joke. -_-

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
for some reason, i am vaguely reminded of neptunia with that sort of "playable bad end" thing.
I got the Conquest ending in Re;Birth 2 and it doesn’t hold a candle to THIS lmao

this is more akin to Genocide in Undertale but even more dismal

Technomage

Smash Champion
Ah ****

And what about characters with swords too
Okay, I'll count their numbes, too. But first, do Peach and Daisy count, since they have a tiny chance of plucking a lightsaber from the ground? And what about Zelda's Phantom, Sheik and Joker's knives?

Anyways, moving on: The amount of chars with sword in their movesets is 28.

Anymore counting challenges? I could do this for quite a while, dude. XP

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Okay, I'll count their numbes, too. But first, do Peach and Daisy count, since they have a tiny chance of plucking a lightsaber from the ground? And what about Zelda's Phantom, Sheik and Joker's knives?

Might seem a bit random but,
How many characters who primarily have swords have a "brawling" move? Can be a slide kick like Cloud, a punch or a kick as part of their jab combo like Shulk and Ike, etc. Note that the throws don't really count in this situation.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
:ultbrashthebear:

#RareBear2021

Peach and Daisy can no longer pluck Beam Swords in Ultimate and have thus been decloned from Marth

osby

Smash Obsessed

I hope you're counting Villager and Isabelle, too.

You can poke someone's eye out with that umbrellas, I say that's as good as a sword.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I hope you're counting Villager and Isabelle, too.

You can poke someone's eye out with that umbrellas, I say that's as good as a sword.
don't even get why sakurai added byleth, villager had the weapon master thing down. They've got swords, axes, bows (slingshot), rocket launchers, and, of course, a club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom