• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
By also picking a hot character to confuse your opponent: level the playing field.
The year is XXXX.

Everyone use either Shirtless Shulk or Shirtless Sephiroth to win tournaments to make the opponent faint from too much nosebleeds, meaning fight start & end at whoever can select the shirtless costume for either character first.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
The 25th anniversary of Tales of is in March, which is when the next presentation comes according to Amiibo Theory.
Potential shirtless characters it seems...
For the first, although I think that anniversaries are not important when including a character in Smash even if I think that Tales of still has a good chance of having a character, I personally would like Yuri although I would really be fine with anyone.
For the second
1609778918423.png

1609779019380.png

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I can only imagine what speculation will arise if the Spirit event right before the next reveal is related to shirts... :4pacman:
Ultimate's Beach Episode Spirit Event would be, uhm, something else.

The year is XXXX.

Everyone use either Shirtless Shulk or Shirtless Sephiroth to win tournaments to make the opponent faint from too much nosebleeds, meaning fight start & end at whoever can select the shirtless costume for either character first.
Damn it, now I can only imagine what would've happened if Sephiroth's Challenge was instead the Battle Beach mini games in Ehrgeiz:

Especially if the CPU opponent was Shirtless Sephiroth.

cothero

Smash Lord
While I'm not really a Tales fan, as someone who went through the interminable period of waiting to see if a former Mii costume might get upgraded to a fighter (or at least an improved Mii outfit) only to end up after two years of speculation to get the same meh costume as in Smash 4? I'm in no hurry to see another fan get dealt that kind of disappointment themselves, so for their sake I do hope Lloyd can get to the status of an actual fighter.
It's going to be either Lloyd or Yuri. While Lloyd is Sakurai's favourite pick for a character (he said it himself), Yuri is by far the most popular choice between Tales fans. Personally, if i had to bet, Yuri would be the most likely choice for a fighter and Lloyd would return as a costume, alongside other popular Tales characters.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The 25th anniversary of Tales of is in March, which is when the next presentation comes according to Amiibo Theory.
Ah, amiibo theory. Forgot why we consider March to be such a big deal in the first place. Perhaps I won't need my tinfoil hat for this after all.

So Tales 25th Event Theory
  • The Tales 25th Anniversary livestream is being held sometime in March
  • Amiibo Theory dictates that CP9 is probably coming March as well
  • Bandai-Namco is working on Smash could potentially have some sway over the development, at least when it comes to their IPs
  • Steve's reveal and presentation were timed to be around MineCon, with the latter being streamed directly before the show
  • Based on all this, we can come to the conclusion that CP9 could be a Tales character, revealed in March before or during the 25th anniversary livestream

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Y’all haven’t played the OG Dissidia or Duodecim and it shows

aside from Terra, my mains were Sephiroth (usually in his shirtless alt) and Jecht (who’s ALWAYS shirtless) and Lightning sue me she was fun

you eventually get used to it :shades:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It's going to be Lloyd or Yuri. While Lloyd is Sakurai's favourite pick for a character (he said it himself), Yuri is by far the most popular choice between Tales fans. Personally, if i had to bet, Yuri would be the most likely choice for a fighter and Lloyd would return as a costume, alongise other popular Tales characters.
I think it's worth noting that aside from being Sakurai's choice, Lloyd has been a popular request for a while now. I'd presume he started picking up steam around the Brawl-4 interim, but I do remember hearing from someone saying they've wanted him since Melee. Yuri is the most popular with the Tales fandom, but Lloyd is more popular with the Smash fandom, and seeing as Symphonia is what made the series big and broke it out into the West, I'd argue he's the most popular with the general public as well.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Ultimate's Beach Episode Spirit Event would be, uhm, something else.
Well, Alpharad did make a "Beach Episode" for his CPUCS series. Would be fun to have a redo with Sephiroth and the newcomers.

Also, it's a good time as any to embed this. The comment section is amazing.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I think it's worth noting that aside from being Sakurai's choice, Lloyd has been a popular request for a while now. I'd presume he started picking up steam around the Brawl-4 interim, but I do remember hearing from someone saying they've wanted him since Melee. Yuri is the most popular with the Tales fandom, but Lloyd is more popular with the Smash fandom, and seeing as Symphonia is what made the series big and broke it out into the West, I'd argue he's the most popular with the general public as well.
Lloyd already returned as a mii costume right? I didn't imagine that, having a hard time confirming it online.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I remember hearing about Layton a little bit

however nothing will save them at this point

Yo kai watch 2 opened above 1 mil day one and ended up becoming the best selling 3ds game in Japan selling above 6 million

now it's lucky to crack 100k

the only thing they really have left is ni no kuni, its sad to see but multiple bad decisions happened to get to this point.
they recently closed down their overseas branches as well.

I could see bandai-namco or Nintendo trying to buy some of their franchises but at this point I don't think level-5 will be around for much longer
(which is a shame because Fanatasy life 2 would have been amazing)

From a business perspective why would they go for a LEVEL-5 franchise? All of them are dead, and not Banjo dead, Chibi-robo dead

idk maybe things will improve but Level-5 has taken a gigantic nose dive scarily quickly, just 5 years ago they rivaled Nintendo in Japan creating multi million seller after multi million seller.

maybe i'm just pessimistic.
>From a business perspective why would they go for a LEVEL-5 franchise? All of them are dead, and not Banjo dead, Chibi-robo dead
>Chibi-robo dead
Jesus Christ I know the company has been having a number of troubled developments in recent years but they haven't fallen that low, yet...

Besides, Nintendo was apparently more than fine doing business with SN-I-got-filed-for-bankruptcy-twice-and-got-juggled-around-between-China-and-Saudi-Arabia-K...

Not that I like making comparisons like that, but gosh...
Not to mention that 2020 has overall been a pretty poor year for a lot of companies involved.

They had this very recent interview just around the new year with Yo-Kai Watch apparently having reached 16 million now, just 1 million behind Layton, which was quite a surprise to hear, they seem to be slowly getting their footing back together after placing that Inazuma Eleven game in the backburner after being plagued with it the past few years, which is at least somewhat reassuring to see.

Whatever the company's future may be remains to be seen I suppose, but its at least good to know that their at least trying to take a number of measures to keep themselves afloat.

Now whatever any of this means for Smash remains to be seen I suppose, but considering Nintendo's willingness to work with companies who have been under about just as many struggles, if not moreso, so long as the company doesn't go completely defunct, they should be at least somewhat fine for negotiations.

At least for this game's DLC, not sure about future games, but I guess that's up to what the company's overall outlook is by then I suppose...

Last edited:

Roguewolf

Smash Lord
Gotta say, Smash Bros Ultimate balance is a load of horse apples.

How I am supposed to even win when my opponent is shirtless & hot?
How am I supposed to win when my eyes are popping out of my skull my toungue is on the floor and I’m making awooga noises?damm you pac man your so attractive

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
The year is XXXX.

Hot shirtless dudes?
View attachment 298171
Yes, this is the second time I shilled RH today, sue me
Everyone missing out on the hottest shirtless dudes of all.

We have some questions after seeing Wario shirtless - Polygon

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
While I would never say popularity doesn’t matter, it seems very often that it’s used as a reason for a character to be chosen over another, sometimes without other support.

“If we get an upgrade, it’ll definitely be Waluigi, Isaac, or Geno!” We got Min Min. Granted, Min Min was among the most popular ARMS characters.

Like I see the argument with Lloyd vs. Yuri, and Yuri being the more popular pick among Tales fans. But Lloyd is the character non-Tales fans recognize at a higher level. While obviously not at the same scale based on the size of the series, SharkLord SharkLord has mentioned in the past that Lloyd is similar to Cloud in terms of TOS being the FF7 of the series. That said, Cloud himself is among the most popular, if not THE most popular Final Fantasy character.

Basically, sure. Yuri is popular. But it doesn’t mean Lloyd isn’t popular, and that popularity alone would put Yuri in the game. I’m not necessarily anti-Yuri as much as I am pro-Lloyd, and that could change if I play Tales of Vesperia. I just don’t know if popularity on its own is a reliable factor when it comes to character probability.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm late to the Ace Attorney discussion but I want to say that for a series with Ace Attorney's sales numbers, genre and style, it's a lot more iconic and influential than it would have been expected to, and it never gets credit for that. To compare it to the likes of Okami and Viewtiful Joe is really selling it short. While Capcom hasn't always known what to do with it, it's one of their few franchises that never took a break; I wish I could say that about Devil May Cry, which even after selling 4 million copies with V appears to be taking a hiatus until 2025.
Yeah I feel the same. Granted, DMC getting in a hiatus seems logical when it seems that Itsuno is the only one in Capcom who actually would want to direct the series. And according to leaks it looks like he's going to be very busy.

That or maybe Capcom doesn't have enough manpower at the moment to start DMC6, which is also a possibility. DMC games are projects with decent budget and again, according to leaks, it looks like Capcom is going to be very busy in general in the upcoming years, so maybe they don't have enough people to start working on a new DMC for the moment.

Another possibility, I guess, is that there's a new game in development but for whatever reason it didn't appear in the leaks. I think it could be the case, because
Ace Attorney 7 hasn't appeared yet as far as I know despite being mentioned in one of the leaked images, which is a bit strange in my opinion.

What is a God to a Dragon

Shirtless Kiryu would be 100% an alt. Like, I'd refund my copy of Smash Ultimate if we wouldn't be able to look at this beauty ingame:

Also one of Kiryu's victory screens should be him ripping off his suit and exposing his back to the camera, like this (didn't find an appropiate gif of him just ripping off his suit)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Lloyd already returned as a mii costume right? I didn't imagine that, having a hard time confirming it online.
Actually, no. We got Heihachi with Min Min, Gil with Steve, and Chocobo and Geno with Sephiroth.
Interestingly, Sephiroth coming with two means that unless we stretch the two MH costumes out between two different fighters, which wouldn't make much sense, we won't be able to have a Mii costume return with each fighter of FP2. I think a big thing going for Returning Mii Theory is that there were six third-party costumes that had yet to return, counting MH together, so now that Seph got two I think it could hurt that precedent a little. We can't evenly distribute the costumes anymore, so what harm could it be to promote one of them and damage the pattern even further?

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
How am I supposed to win when my eyes are popping out of my skull my toungue is on the floor and I’m making awooga noises?damm you pac man your so attractive
...I mean I don't judge you, but...

Does Yellow Kirby make you feel "things" too?
Everyone missing out on the hottest shirtless dudes of all.

We have some questions after seeing Wario shirtless - Polygon
Someone gonna rant on Twitter Dot Com again, that's for sure.

Roguewolf

Smash Lord
...I mean I don't judge you, but...

Does Yellow Kirby make you feel "things" too?

Someone gonna rant on Twitter Dot Com again, that's for sure.
Dog yellow Kirby makes my heart become elongated from my chest and thump aggressively then I have to hit my head with a hammer and roll my tongue back up like window blinds

In other words yes

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Dog yellow Kirby makes my heart become elongated from my chest and thump aggressively then I have to hit my head with a hammer and roll my tongue back up like window blinds

In other words yes
Ya know, before you posted this, I wasn't sure if you were trolling or not, but after reading this, think this image summarize my thoughts pretty well:
kronk no no he got a point.jpg

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Shirtless Kiryu would be 100% an alt. Like, I'd refund my copy of Smash Ultimate if we wouldn't be able to look at this beauty ingame:
Pffft, an alt.

You should refund if his entrance animation is anything other than him ripping off his shirt like in the games - thus making every alt shirtless. :roll:

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm finding myself curious about when Nintendo will begin to roll out news again. While I don't expect anything Smash related until March, given there are some notable winter/spring releases coming, I would expect a gradual pattern of reveals/showcases relatively soon.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think both Lloyd and Yuri are pretty much equally likely so can't say one of them has more stuff going for them.

But can I say how weird it sounds when some people in this thread are like "well, Yuri is only popular among Tales fans!" Like, since when a character's popularity among the fans of their games is insignificant?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm finding myself curious about when Nintendo will begin to roll out news again. While I don't expect anything Smash related until March, given there are some notable winter/spring releases coming, I would expect some gradual efforts a reveals/showcases relatively soon.
That’d depend on how COVID is improved with this vaccine. If it is. I lowkey expect a new year of Partner Minis to begin and maybe direct minis with the COVID disclaimer still

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If it makes you feel better, he only has the cube of meat as a head in Silent Hill Downpour. In SH2 his designer Masahiro Ito made it clear that under Pyramid Heads Helmet is an actual head.
I mean an actual head yeah, maybe. But still incredibly deformed. The “block of meat” is still his head and is likely what he would look like underneath all of his different forms.

This glob on the back of his neck comes directly from SH2. His head even designed by “Ito” is not what one would consider a normal head.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think both Lloyd and Yuri are pretty much equally likely so can't say one of them has more stuff going for them.

But can I say how weird it sounds when some people in this thread are like "well, Yuri is only popular among Tales fans!" Like, since when a character's popularity among the fans of their games is insignificant?
I mean that's basically Lloyd's thing too, just swap Tales fans for Smash fans and the general audience. I'm leaning Lloyd because I'd imagine Smash fans and the GA are Nintendo's main demographic in this situation and therefore the ones they'd pay attention too, especially considering Lloyd's history of being a popular request.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom