• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Unfortunately, Bomberman was butchered and skinned to create his Mii Costume.

In terms of upgrades, I'm eyeing character who have enough content to support a full Challenger Pack; Specifically, Isaac and Shovel Knight. The former is more of a darkhorse, kept afloat by the possibility of a fan-favorite character, while the latter is self-explanatory, being an icon of the indie scene.
Skull Kid could bring a lot with him too with a Clock Town stage, ton of Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time music and Spirits.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
As someone who`s never played a Tales game and isn`t very familiar with the fanbase, I`m wondering why people on here are thinking that Yuri would be a more likely rep than Lloyd. Prior to the Chun-Li/Tales discussion, I was seeing Lloyd being more heavily favoured as a potential Tales rep, or maybe I missed the Yuri support, so I'm wondering why the discussion has shifted so much.

From what I understand, Lloyd seems to be more well known overall, but Yuri is more popular within the actual Tales fanbase, which seems pretty accurate to me seeing as I'm not super familiar with the series but I know more about Lloyd than Yuri. Also, I know there are other popular Tales characters too but those are the one's I see being most talked about.
It's a case of whether pandering to Smash fans with Lloyd due to Symphonia being a big deal back in the Gamecube days, or pandering to Tales fans as Yuri's so popular he's banned on popularity polls so that he doesn't take up the number 1 spot all the time.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Because of the returning trend of Sm4sh Miis. They've all returned with only Monster Hunter and Lloyd left. I'm feeling those two are also gonna return coming with a Capcom rep and swordsman character/Namco rep.
Hmmm, I for some reason doubt a Capcom rep this pass and they might drop the MonHun costumes with whomever

Lloyd could be with a general Namco rep like KOS-MOS, a sword fighter from namco like a SC or non-symphonia tales rep, or even someone who wields twin swords in general

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Lloyd could be with a general Namco rep like KOS-MOS, a sword fighter from namco like a SC or non-symphonia tales rep, or even someone who wields twin swords in general
As much as I'd love another female in this pass I'd lean more towards the Lloyd costume coming with Yuri or Nightmare (Leaning towards Yuri).

SharkLord

Smash Hero
As someone who`s never played a Tales game and isn`t very familiar with the fanbase, I`m wondering why people on here are thinking that Yuri would be a more likely rep than Lloyd. Prior to the Chun-Li/Tales discussion, I was seeing Lloyd being more heavily favoured as a potential Tales rep, or maybe I missed the Yuri support, so I'm wondering why the discussion has shifted so much.

From what I understand, Lloyd seems to be more well known overall, but Yuri is more popular within the actual Tales fanbase, which seems pretty accurate to me seeing as I'm not super familiar with the series but I know more about Lloyd than Yuri. Also, I know there are other popular Tales characters too but those are the one's I see being most talked about.
I mentioned this before, but I think people started pushing him more after Vesperia Definitive Edition put him in the spotlight, so people latched onto him out of recency or want. The increased focus on Yuri brought the Tales polls to light, and the pattern of the Mii Costumes coming back made a lot of people hesitant on Lloyd (Though I will point out that Smash has a habit of breaking the patterns that it starts). Now it's a debate on Smash fanbase vs Tales fanbase.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Tagging Hinata Hinata just because I want to ask again about music mods: can a song be in two or more categories at once?

No particular reason I'm asking this.

(For real tho, I'm wondering if, say, CvS music could play on both Suzaku Castle and King of Fighters Stadium. Or the F-Zero rendition of Rainbow Road on both F-Zero and Mario stages.)

Also, what about songs with multiple "phases", like the SF themes that change during the last stock? Do they require special coding as well?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The wait until March is going to be a long one. And for those that don't know, the next Amiibo wave comes out literally at the very end of March. The Mario 35th anniversary celebration also ends near the end of March as that's when they're going to take down all of those Mario 35th anniversary games off of the Eshop forever.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The wait until March is going to be a long one. And for those that don't know, the next Amiibo wave comes out literally at the very end of March. The Mario 35th anniversary celebration also ends near the end of March as that's when they're going to take down all of those Mario 35th anniversary games off of the Eshop forever.
There's also the 30th anniversary for Street Fighter II so that's three anniversaries to look out for.

Last edited:

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
Tagging Hinata Hinata just because I want to ask again about music mods: can a song be in two or more categories at once?

(For real tho, I'm wondering if, say, CvS music could play on both Suzaku Castle and King of Fighters Stadium. Or the F-Zero rendition of Rainbow Road on both F-Zero and Mario stages.)

Also, what about songs with multiple "phases", like the SF themes that change during the last stock? Do they require special coding as well?
Sephiroth with Donkey Kong's face has an overpowering and threatening aura.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Yuri's game just got rereleased on all modern systems in 2019 so he has a recency angle going. To play Lloyd's game you have to go back to a 6th or 7th gen system or the PC.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

I feel very threatened by that video

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

SKX31

Smash Master

I have not clicked on that video, even as it's popped up in my Recommended feed countless times. But I can't help but to think:

"Has Science gone and Expanded Dong too far? (Yes is the only possible answer here.)"

Firox

Smash Master
With all the talk about Lloyd being relatively dated (Tales of Symphonia came out in 2003-04) compared to Yuri, I decided to remind myself when Tales of Vesperia came out. I remember playing it on my old XBOX 360 but come to find out that it released in 2009. Kinda crazy to think that Yuri is already 12 years old. Have there been no notable Tales characters released since then?

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
With all the talk about Lloyd being relatively dated (Tales of Symphonia came out in 2003-04) compared to Yuri, I decided to remind myself when Tales of Vesperia came out. I remember playing it on my old XBOX 360 but come to find out that it released in 2009. Kinda crazy to think that Yuri is already 12 years old. Has there been no notable Tales characters released since then?
It's not that there haven't been any more notable Tales protagonists, but that both Lloyd and Yuri are competing to be the series' Cloud.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
With all the talk about Lloyd being relatively dated (Tales of Symphonia came out in 2003-04) compared to Yuri, I decided to remind myself when Tales of Vesperia came out. I remember playing it on my old XBOX 360 but come to find out that it released in 2009. Kinda crazy to think that Yuri is already 12 years old. Have there been no notable Tales characters released since then?
There's her.

The Trauma of Velvet Crowe: Finding myself in Tales of Berseria - Anime  Feminist

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Velvet's pretty popular. I even whipped up a theory based on the negotiation rumor that a Tales rep was intentionally held off to gauge the success of Berseria and see if Velvet would be a viable candidate. It's just that Lloyd and Yuri are the most popular characters with the Smash fanbase and Tales fanbase respectively, so they end up getting the most attention.

Firox

Smash Master
It's not that there haven't been any more notable Tales protagonists, but that both Lloyd and Yuri are competing to be the series' Cloud.
Ah, I see. Well, didn't Tales of Symphonia get a direct sequel with Dawn of the New World? Did Tales of Vesperia ever get a sequel? I'm wondering if Namco would consider Symphonia as their FFVII...or in the case of a sequel, maybe FFX/FFX-2?

There's her.

The Trauma of Velvet Crowe: Finding myself in Tales of Berseria - Anime  Feminist
NICE. I'd be down for that.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think Sakurai sees Lloyd as Tales' Cloud:

"Lloyd:

The Tales series has 20 years of history, how did you decide on Lloyd for the costume?

Sakurai: I’m not sure if there was any other appropriate choice?

For example, how about the protagonist of the first game, Cress? [TN: From Tales of Phantasia]

Sakurai: I really think it has to be Lloyd here (laughs). I could have gone down the route of choosing from the first entry in the series, but for old games it’s somewhat common for the editorial supervision from the original creator to make the process difficult."

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
There's so many notable anniversaries this year that it's almost pointless to try using them as a means to narrow down our options.

Even when you look at Nintendo alone, there's still a ton of anniversaries. Technically, all three of Nintendo's AAA franchises (Mario, Zelda, Pokémon) are celebrating anniversaries during this year.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I think Sakurai sees Lloyd as Tales' Cloud:

"Lloyd:

The Tales series has 20 years of history, how did you decide on Lloyd for the costume?

Sakurai: I’m not sure if there was any other appropriate choice?

For example, how about the protagonist of the first game, Cress? [TN: From Tales of Phantasia]

Sakurai: I really think it has to be Lloyd here (laughs). I could have gone down the route of choosing from the first entry in the series, but for old games it’s somewhat common for the editorial supervision from the original creator to make the process difficult."
Of course, that interview was before the release of Vesperia's Definitive Edition.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You think Sakurai might have changed his mind because of the sales of a Definitive Edition?
Probably, the original release was an Xbox exclusive outside Japan and Bamco made the baffling decision to not localize the ps3 version which had added content. You'd think Sony fans loving JRPGs would convince them when compared to Xbox fans typically not playing JRPGs but nope.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Ah, I see. Well, didn't Tales of Symphonia get a direct sequel with Dawn of the New World? Did Tales of Vesperia ever get a sequel? I'm wondering if Namco would consider Symphonia as their FFVII...or in the case of a sequel, maybe FFX/FFX-2?

NICE. I'd be down for that.
Dawn of the New World is a sequel to Symphonia, but it focuses on a new protagonist. The cast of the first is there, but in a disappointingly limited fashion. The game is pretty rough overall aside from the combat and visuals. Vesperia doesn't have a sequel, but Japan was very unhappy with it being a 360 exclusive, which led to the enhanced PS3 port. The Definitive Edition is just the PS3 version ported to modern machines.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Prior to that the only way to play the game internationally was on the Xbox 360. Being released on all main consoles in 2019 really expanded the playerbase that got exposure to the game.
And to think Yuri was so popular he got banned from Tales' polls beforehand. Imagine how much more popular he will become now that his game is on a bunch of different consoles.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I've seen some people question Sakurai's statement on Lloyd based on how Geno turned out, so I'm requoting this from another thread. Felt it was worth mentioning.
To be fair, the Geno statement was a bit less definitive. For Geno, Sakurai just said "I like this guy, his hand is a gun and I thought he could fit pretty well." For Lloyd, he was the sole representation of his series, and Sakurai was prioritizing him above multiple other candidates, whereas Geno is just himself and that's it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
And to think Yuri was so popular he got banned from Tales' polls beforehand. Imagine how much more popular he will become now that his game is on a bunch of different consoles.
I'm pretty sure that's why Yuri actually gets brought up nowadays compared to the Smash 4 days where it was nothing but Lloyd

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sometimes a character gets in that isn't from an RPG...

those are the good times.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Tales of Vesperia did get the same treatment as Tales of Symphonia, where I think they were the only two 3D Tales games to get a ported version with more features. Basically, Tales of Symphonia got a PS2 version in Japan that had more content than the Gamecube version and the same happened with Tales of Vesperia where it was released on Xbox 360 first, than got a PS3 version that had ALOT more content.
But compared to Tales of Symphonia, which I think only got more costumes and some extra non-story cutscenes, Tales of Vesperia PS3 added 2 new characters to play as, gave more Artes for the characters, had a lot new extra features and bonus scenes, and even added alot of new story scenes that took place during the main story. Like Tales of Vesperia's definitive version was frickin' packed.

Tales of Vesperia also got something rare compared to the other games. Whereas other Tales series got an anime that is basically the game, but in anime episodes, Tales of Vesperia didn't get an anime in the same vein, but it did get a Prequel anime that showed Yuri's time in the knights and how he met Repede before the events of the game. As far as I've checked, no other Tales series got the same treatment where they got an anime that was a prequel or sequel to the game. It didn't get a sequel like Tales of Symphonia or Tales of Xillia, but Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition, with how much new story it added, might as well have been Tales of Vesperia 2.0. So Tales of Vesperia did get quite alot of attention from Namco Bandai.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Well, now we fall into the category of interpretation. Ito never actually sketched the head. He never even clarified the importance of the “neck pillow” as the person he replied to called it.
My personal belief is that the head underneath is simply James head, considering the symbolism and all that.
Ito’s design of Pyramid Head was still very deformed. It’s meant to be the James to the Nurses Mary in the same way that Maria is Mary to James in his head. And just like the nurses the in game appearances are monstrosity.

Pyramid Head and Nurse are the monsters of them and the other two, player James and Maria, are meant to be the good of them. It’s just that as James psychological structure breaks down his so to does perception of Maria and himself.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Bah, bah. I forgot about this place. Did I miss anything? Any spicy breadcrumbs to warrant not crawling back under my rock?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Sometimes a character gets in that isn't from an RPG...

those are the good times.
I see no problem with RPG characters as it really all depends who it is for me. But I do wish they would add more characters from underrepresented genres like FPS, Puzzle, Visual Novel Games, ect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom