• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yes, you can add a song to as many categories as you want. And songs with multiple phases are called "pinch songs", which the program can handle for you.

If you're interested, the program to add songs is public now, and I wrote up a tutorial on how to use it. https://gamebanana.com/tuts/13677
Amazing. Might try my hand at it eventually so I can get some stuff that would probably not make it in otherwise (like the aforementioned CvS as well as niche stuff like Lobotomy Corp).

... And **** like One-Winged Kong and the Ace Attorney x Cheetahmen theme, of course.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
I really hope that if Soul Calibur gets representation that we don't get Nightmare. I know he's the poster boy of the franchise and all but I completely refuse to buy another big guy with an over-sized sword. Sophitia would definitely be welcome. I'd also go for Ivy or Taki. Ivy's whip sword could be cool and still unique from Byleth's and Taki could fill the pseudo-realistic ninja slot whether Ryu H ends up happening or not.
I'd say Mitsurugi is just as much of a poster boy for Soul Calibur as Nightmare (which probably isn't that much of a better option for you).

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If we were to assume that Lloyd (and all of the Tales series) gets the shaft, who would you say are Namco's top three remaining contenders?
  1. Chosen Undead (Dark Souls)
  2. Nightmare (SoulCalibur)
  3. Taiko no Tatsujin

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Man, this is frickin' surreal.

It's weird enough imagining Miis being translated into Breath of the Wild NPCs, but to think of the possibility of Mii characters becoming NPCs or even PCs without looking exactly like Miis is surreal.
Wait, wait.

So that means... we could have had proper, full-bodied and limbed Miis as avatars on the Switch for a while now?

Man...

Firox

Smash Master
“man screw that big sword, I prefer sword, whip sword, or daggers.”

taki could be cool, ivy and sophitia are just as derivative as Nightmare would be. also, there’s a running trend in your 3 choices, lol.
To be honest, it's not really the size of the sword I'm as hesitant about, but rather the size of the character and what that would mean for their frame data. As evidenced by Sephiroth and pretty much all other big-bodies in Smash, their frame data tends to suck in order to balance out their reach and power. While this is a reasonable balancing method, I would rather have something different from what the DLC has already given us, something faster and more agile. The characters I named, especially Taki, would be closer to that. And yes, I'm aware that the three I named are also female, but hey, why not? The first FP was a total sausage fest with only 1/2 of one character being female (technically Kazooie could be another 1/2 of one character, but still). That's not to say we have to have a quota or anything, but it would be nice to spice up the roster a little more than something besides "cool hair muscle man with a sword". lol Ironically, most video game protags seem to fall right into that category.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So I got to ask, If Minecraft did not exist, would we still have gotten Banjo in Smash, or would he have missed the boat?

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
So I got to ask, If Minecraft did not exist, would we still have gotten Banjo in Smash, or would he have missed the boat?
I'm going to guess that Banjo & Kazooie would not happen without Minecraft. Minecraft being something Nintendo wanted and Phil Spencer advocating for Banjo & Kazooie was how it was possible for them to join Smash, otherwise I couldn't see Nintendo bothering.

Eldrake

Smash Lord

7NATOR

Smash Master
Perhaps the thing with Banjo and Steve perhaps does have different conclusions, Even if Minecraft did not exist, it's still possible the Fan demand and Phil Spencer would be enough to get them in, But I just wondered since the main reason Microsoft and Nintendo talked was because of Minecraft.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Actually on that note, Regarding DLC, How Important do you think Fan Demand plays as a factor into a Character's Inclusion? Obviously it's not the only thing at play, looking at the roster choices, but how important of a factor is it?

Last edited:

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Okay, I know that Soulcalibur conversation finished, but if we get a Soulcalibur character, I'd want Yoshimitsu.
YES. the only correct answer. namuuUUuu.
And yes, I'm aware that the three I named are also female, but hey, why not?
I’m more referencing the trend of all three of your choices having comically large boobs haha.

Smash 100% could benefit from more females, as well as further race diversification.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Actually on that note, Regarding DLC, How Important do you think Fan Demand plays as a factor into a Character's Inclusion? Obviously it's not the only thing at play, looking at the roster choices, but how important of a factor is it?
I think they want at least one "fan demand" pick per pass. While expanding and appealing to new markets is important, it's also important to make your pre-existing fans satisfied. Banjo is the blatant one in pass one, I think we might see someone like that in Vol.2 (likely Issac)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think they want at least one "fan demand" pick per pass. While expanding and appealing to new markets is important, it's also important to make your pre-existing fans satisfied. Banjo is the blatant one in pass one, I think we might see someone like that in Vol.2 (likely Issac)
Even with the FE hatedom in the Smash community, I'd also say Byleth is for pre-existing fans. FE and Smash's fanbase are very interwoven thanks to Melee being the reason we got FE localizations.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Couldn't Steve be considered the Fan Demanded character of this pass?

I remember seeing lots of Casual Smash fans on Miiverse, Youtube, etc request him during the Smash 4 Days and Ultimate days, and even some of the hardcore Smash fans started requesting him as well, to the point that he does Really well on Smash Polls

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Couldn't Steve be considered the Fan Demanded character of this pass?

I remember seeing lots of Casual Smash fans on Miiverse, Youtube, etc request him during the Smash 4 Days and Ultimate days, and even some of the hardcore Smash fans started requesting him as well, to the point that he does Really well on Smash Polls
Steve is very popular, but his popularity with the core fanbase didn't start until 2018/9, well after the ballot.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Perhaps the thing with Banjo and Steve perhaps does have different conclusions, Even if Minecraft did not exist, it's still possible the Fan demand and Phil Spencer would be enough to get them in, But I just wondered since the main reason Microsoft and Nintendo talked was because of Minecraft.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Not all-important, but decently so. SSBU's base roster drew heavily from the ballot, and when a series has multiple viable candidates, Smash tends to aim for someone who would please the fans, like Cloud for Final Fantasy and the Belmonts for Castlevania. There's also Banjo in FP1 despite being largely inactive as a franchise and having a lot of competition, so I believe that we'll have another fan-favorite character in this pass.

Sophitia

Smash Cadet
I really hope that if Soul Calibur gets representation that we don't get Nightmare. I know he's the poster boy of the franchise and all but I completely refuse to buy another big guy with an over-sized sword. Sophitia would definitely be welcome. I'd also go for Ivy or Taki. Ivy's whip sword could be cool and still unique from Byleth's and Taki could fill the pseudo-realistic ninja slot whether Ryu H ends up happening or not.
Thing is, Soulcalibur doesn't really have one central protagonist. Sophitia, Taki, Siegfried, Kilik, Xianghua, etc. share it as an ensemble cast. I'd prefer Sophitia, Ivy would be cool too but she's definitely not for good boys and girls.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Even with the FE hatedom in the Smash community, I'd also say Byleth is for pre-existing fans. FE and Smash's fanbase are very interwoven thanks to Melee being the reason we got FE localizations.
Even with the FE hatedom in the Smash community, I'd also say Byleth is for pre-existing fans. FE and Smash's fanbase are very interwoven thanks to Melee being one of the reasons we got FE localizations.

Amazon.com: Advance Wars: Video Games

7NATOR

Smash Master
Steve is very popular, but his popularity with the core fanbase didn't start until 2018/9, well after the ballot.
I don't know though, because Depending on how you define the Core Fanbase, Steve started getting popular as early as 2013 or 2014

I'll use Cloud as an example. Sakurai said like 1/3 or 1/4 of the Requests for a Final Fantasy Character was for Cloud, however if you went to the more Hardcore Fanbases you wouldn't know since Cloud was seen as impossible at the time. Black Mage was the Favorite for a Final Fantasy character to my knowledge, to the point that he was in SSF2. yet Sakurai did not even mention him

So with Steve, Steve was popular among people on Miiverse and such like that, and I would say Miiverse is perhaps the corest of all Core fanbases since Not only was that a site Sakurai used, but The Main audience for that site was kids, and I believe the Primary demographic for Smash is Kids. Along with that, Steve likely did very well on the ballot since I Imagine lots of Miiverse users, Youtube users, etc went to go vote

People meme about how Goku or Shrek likely won the ballot, and they were popular requests on Miiverse, not on here or any of the more hardcore sites. Same deal with Steve

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't know though, because Depending on how you define the Core Fanbase, Steve started getting popular as early as 2013 or 2014

I'll use Cloud as an example. Sakurai said like 1/3 or 1/4 of the Requests for a Final Fantasy Character was for Cloud, however if you went to the more Hardcore Fanbases you wouldn't know since Cloud was seen as impossible at the time. Black Mage was the Favorite for a Final Fantasy character to my knowledge, to the point that he was in SSF2. yet Sakurai did not even mention him

So with Steve, Steve was popular among people on Miiverse and such like that, and I would say Miiverse is perhaps the corest of all Core fanbases since Not only was that a site Sakurai used, but The Main audience for that site was kids, and I believe the Primary demographic for Smash is Kids. Along with that, Steve likely did very well on the ballot since I Imagine lots of Miiverse users, Youtube users, etc went to go vote

People meme about how Goku or Shrek likely won the ballot, and they were popular requests on Miiverse, not on here or any of the more hardcore sites. Same deal with Steve
I was under the impression that Cloud wasn't in SSF2 because he was already in the original. I think they were trying to distance themselves from the first Super Smash Flash, which had an... Interesting roster, shall we say.

cothero

Smash Lord
Not that it's likely, but what are the chances that they might put a 2nd SNK rep in the game? Mai can't appear in the game in any form because of being too naughty for good bois and gurls and the rest of the notable Fatal Fury/King of Fighters/Metal Slug/ect are either Mii costumes or Spirits. So if they did go with another SNK rep, they would probably have to go with someone more obscure which I don't see happening.
Nah. As a SNK games fan myself, i don't see it happening unless Sakurai really wants to. Kyo would be the most obvious choice, since he's one of the most symbolic KOF protags. He's compared to Ryu in Capcom vs SNK crossovers, while Terry is more of a Ken rival:

SNK_vs._Capcom_Chaos_cover.jpg

A Samurai Shodown character like Haohmaru or a Metal Slug character are also possible. Gesee from FF/KOF would be another good candidate, but i don't think they're going to put another third party villain after Sephiroth (dude's a VERY iconic exception).

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
YES. the only correct answer. namuuUUuu.

I’m more referencing the trend of all three of your choices having comically large boobs haha.

Smash 100% could benefit from more females, as well as further race diversification.
LOL Now that you mention it, I guess their bra sizes are pretty epic. I guess Sakurai would really have to nerf those jiggle physics or CERO would have a cow. To be fair, aren't basically all the women in Soul Caliber like that? And yes, I gotta admit, Yoshimitsu does have a certain charm.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
LOL Now that you mention it, I guess their bra sizes are pretty epic. To be fair, aren't basically all the women in Soul Caliber like that? And yes, I gotta admit, Yoshimitsu does have a certain charm.
Speaking of which, do they have their spines constantly reinforced with magic energy? XP

7NATOR

Smash Master
I was under the impression that Cloud wasn't in SSF2 because he was already in the original. I think they were trying to distance themselves from the first Super Smash Flash, which had an... Interesting roster, shall we say.
Interesting you mention that

SSF2 Was planned to be more like SSF1, I don't know in Gameplay (Hopefully not), but definitely in the Roster

We were gonna have More OC's like Azrael and Spike, We were gonna have Characters like Vegeta and Sasuke, And there would be many more returning Characters from the First SSF like Blade, Blue, Knuckles, Shadow, and more. I think Cloud was on that planned roster

There were also "Expansion Based" Characters that were planned like Sephiroth and NES Mario (Expansion meaning after the Base roster I Imagine)

However Starting with Demo 7, That roster was scrapped. That was also the same Demo that had Black Mage interesting enough. This was when Anime Characters started to stop being added (Until Luffy, but he was an special Exception), and the Roster started to be more like a Traditional Smash game

Personally I miss some of the ideas that were in the Back Pocket, Like the Story mode that was planned, Final Smash Transformations that had a seperate gameplay mode where you play as the Transformation for the entire match, The Cut Roster, and more. It would have separated SSF2 more from the Official Smash games, which depending on how you look at it is Good or Bad.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I was thinking about oddball picks some minutes ago, and for some strange reason Garrett from Thief drifted to my mind. I wonder how Sakurai would incorporate the stealth-based loot stealing gameplay in the context of Smash. I can't imagine that it's actually possible to do so in a satisfactory way, but it's fun to think about.

Shalebridge Cradle would be a stage nobody would ever forget, I'd imagine. And it certainly wouldn't forget you.

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
Now a hypothetical question.

If Chun-Li were one of the remaining fighters, which piece of songs would come with her?... More SF2 Chun-Li stage remixes? SF3, 4 and 5 songs?...

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Now a hypothetical question.

If Chun-Li were one of the remaining fighters, which piece of songs would come with her?... More SF2 Chun-Li stage remixes? SF3, 4 and 5 songs?...
3rd Strike music please and thank you. 3rd Strike is the best Street Fighter. I'll say it. One of those GOAT Dreamcast games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom