• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staarih

Smash Master
So Switch got a new multi-million seller (as we all expected):

World sold 5m in a similar time frame but that was between two platforms. Either way, great success and will grow on to become huge.

Last edited:

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
Oh, really? Mind saying that twice in a single page? I don't think I heard you the last 800 times.
Honestly I feel like the only reason we got Banjo and Steve is just for the opportunity of working with Microsoft and getting the biggest game in Smash

If we want a Western fighter I think we might as well wait for a Playstation Allstars Round 2 as they have the potential to be the Western Smash wih their legacy and connections.

Sounds like a joke but I genuinely believe it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I like how damn near everyone is willing to scoff at Blocked Content yet PapaGenos does the exact same thing he does and myltiple people go "omg you guys see his latest video where he talks about 4chan rumours and glitches? I think we should listen to him!"
Hmm, well Glitch Theory was somewhat right about an ARMS rep, so I do see your point on hindsight. Though what were the rest of its past predictions, and their respective outcomes?
How the hell was it somewhat right? The only reason people guessed Twintelle was because we already knew an ARMS character was coming.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I like how damn near everyone is willing to scoff at Blocked Content yet PapaGenos does the exact same thing he does and myltiple people go "omg you guys see his latest video where he talks about 4chan rumours and glitches? I think we should listen to him!"
Lol, who says we should listen to him? Certainly he doesn't. Like, most of the time he's like "Here's the new theory people are talking about. I don't believe it though."

Found this new official remix of Rules of Nature.
Official how?

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Guess who's next in line for a high quality FE statue?
View attachment 309145
That's right, it's ya boi, Marth.

Marth, Ike, and Lyn... all the core FE characters I want for the next Smash.
Fingers crossed.
Maybe one day, seeing as Chrom's popularity was a factor for him being chosen. Lyn might get lucky in that sense.

Man, if getting figures actually mattered to getting characters, Mega Man X and Zero could've both been in by now. Cause I'm pretty sure they've got the most out of any Mega Man characters, outside of maybe Rock himself. Chun too, if we're talkin' Street Fighter.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I do think a Double Reveal is possible. Especially if they wanted to make sure Challenger Pack 11 doesn’t cause too much salt. Maybe even a Double Reveal of Zacian and Jonesy, for example. Like, they both share a reveal trailer for example.
I think a double reveal of Sarah Kerrigan from Starcraft and Bill Rizer from Contra would make for a really cool trailer featuring Samus. All three series take a lot of inspiration from the Alien franchise and it could be really fun to see them all interacting in the same trailer. It could start with Samus exploring an alien cave and is ambushed by Kerrigan. It leads to gameplay of Kerrigan. Then just as Samus is about to be defeated, Bill Rizer could join and save her showing his gameplay.

What two characters do you guys think could make for a fun double reveal trailer? What would you want their trailer to be like?

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I think a double reveal of Sarah Kerrigan from Starcraft and Bill Rizer from Contra would make for a really cool trailer featuring Samus. All three series take a lot of inspiration from the Alien franchise and it could be really fun to see them all interacting in the same trailer. It could start with Samus exploring an alien cave and is ambushed by Kerrigan. It leads to gameplay of Kerrigan. Then just as Samus is about to be defeated, Bill Rizer could join and save her showing his gameplay.

What two characters do you guys think could make for a fun double reveal trailer? What would you want their trailer to be like?
Dante and Vergil.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Smashboards has really hit a deadline it seems. I see the same recycled topics and arguments every time I see this thread. Honestly, it's why I don't even bother to click it most of the time.

Yup, Smashboards definitely peaks when a new Smash is announced and why I'm now starting to be sick of Ultimate and this tedium assed Fighters Pass. I just want a new Smash to be in development and Ultimate to be over and done.

Like what Gwen said, this whole thread turned into an echo chamber. I bet most of you don't even know what to talk about anymore.

I'll be supporting new and fresh auditions like Mr. Resetti and Johnny Gat and I'll suggest you all find some back up underrated characters to support, otherwise your all really just beating at a dead horse. (Not dissing you)

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Smashboards has really hit a deadline it seems. I see the same recycled topics and arguments every time I see this thread. Honestly, it's why I don't even bother to click it most of the time.

Yup, Smashboards definitely peaks when a new Smash is announced and why I'm now starting to be sick of Ultimate and this tedium assed Fighters Pass. I just want a new Smash to be in development and Ultimate to be over and done.

Like what Gwen said, this whole thread turned into an echo chamber. I bet most of you don't even know what to talk about anymore.

I'll be supporting new and fresh auditions like Mr. Resetti and Johnny Gat and I'll suggest you all find some back up underrated characters to support, otherwise your all really just beating at a dead horse. (Not dissing you)
Tbh there is virtually nothing going on in speculation right now. No big leaks at all.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Smashboarss has expired. Better throw it away

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Hey, I always try to bring up new topics and characters that don’t get discussed much. Recently I’ve been advocating for Battletoads and Illidan, which almost never get brought up. Most characters I talk about are pretty ignored in the overall Smash community. I do agree that it does get a little tiring hearing about the same 5-10 characters that the community sees as most likely, but if you want to talk about someone or something else, just try to start a conversation about them. You never know, someone else might share your interest and just not bring it up themselves because they aren’t the popular choice.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean, I get it though. I too tire of hearing the same talk about the same “safe” picks over and over, like Master Chief, Ryu Hayabusa, and before their deconfirmations, Rex (we got Pythra instead), Monster Hunter and Geno. I get it, I really do.

which is why I LOWKEY WANT SOME KIND OF LEGIT SURPRISING LEAK SOON TO SHAKE THINGS UP PLEASE IM DYING HERE

Mamboo07 Mamboo07 you also tagged the wrong person, you meant UserKev

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I mean, I get it though. I too tire of hearing the same talk about the same “safe” picks over and over, like Master Chief, Ryu Hayabusa, and before their deconfirmations, Rex (we got Pythra instead), Monster Hunter and Geno. I get it, I really do.

which is why I LOWKEY WANT SOME KIND OF LEGIT SURPRISING LEAK SOON TO SHAKE THINGS UP PLEASE IM DYING HERE

Mamboo07 Mamboo07 you also tagged the wrong person, you meant UserKev
We need another interesting leak like Negotiations Leak a few months back.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
This may be a super hot take

but legit

I’m SO tired of the Hayabusa talk that part of me hopes he’d be Spirited away in an event or Mii’d next wave just so y’all wouldn’t go back and forth as to whether that PR statement was a deconfirm or not

I don’t even LIKE Hayabusa. At all. part of it is for personal reasons...

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Speaking of characters that never really get talked about, I would love it if we got a darker fantasy character that isn’t really human. Someone like Illidan (Warcraft), Zeratul (Starcraft), Diablo (Diablo), Fulgore (Killer Instinct), Raziel (Soul Reaver), or Death (Darksiders). I’ve always loved these types of characters and it would be really refreshing to get a non human character that isn’t a cartoony platformer. Nothing against those types of characters but Smash already has lots of them and some variety would be nice.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Pray then we at least get news next month (Which is in a few days).
This may be a super hot take

but legit

I’m SO tired of the Hayabusa talk that part of me hopes he’d be Spirited away in an event or Mii’d next wave just so y’all wouldn’t go back and forth as to whether that PR statement was a deconfirm or not

I don’t even LIKE Hayabusa. At all. part of it is for personal reasons...
Careful there, for all we know tomorrow could be a TWEWY spirit event.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Maybe one day, seeing as Chrom's popularity was a factor for him being chosen. Lyn might get lucky in that sense.

Man, if getting figures actually mattered to getting characters, Mega Man X and Zero could've both been in by now. Cause I'm pretty sure they've got the most out of any Mega Man characters, outside of maybe Rock himself. Chun too, if we're talkin' Street Fighter.
The thing is that Chrom worked as an echo. Lyn... I don't really think she works as an echo. I always imagined her sword style to be quite different. If Fire Emblem Warriors and her assist trophy are any indication, she would be kinda more similar to Vergil than Marth and company.

So unless they push hard a potential Fire Emblem 7 remake in the future, if that ever happens, I don't see her making it to be honest, seeing how they have operated so far with character picks for Fire Emblem. I'd like to be proven wrong though.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Pray then we at least get news next month (Which is in a few days).

Careful there, for all we know tomorrow could be a TWEWY spirit event.
fair

but at the same time they usually do third party spirit events around releases or anniversaries, i don't think TWEWY's anniversary is close and NEO releases in summer

though I am curious. when the Warframe spirit (Lotus) was included in the Black themed event, was there an anniversary of some sort for Warframe, or did it just release on Switch or something?

Technomage

Smash Champion
We're close to the end with these final two... weird. Prediction Time!

Challenger 10: Crash with a possible Coco echo fighter.
I don't think you need to hear from someone for the billionth time why they think Crash is likely. (Mii wave includes Lloyd as he and Crash both have spiky hair, blue pants, red shoes, multiple magical abilities, and a blonde female ally.)

Bonus: They throw in a few echo fighters for good measure since they had extra time. (Dixie, Shadow, etc.) Echo/clone characters are always made by the end of development as a bonus so I could see this actually happening. This is only if this is truly the end and they don't start making some other Smash game right after like Smash 4 which would be very unlikely.
I know, I know. Smash doesn't always have the strongest endings (Though some of you don't give Bayonetta, Piranha Plant, or the World of Light reveal enough credit for ending on something big.) This may be the true end of Smash Bros, unlike other Smash games especially 4 which led directly to Ultimate. Nintendo understands ending things well considering they sometimes do the "One more thing..." bit.
Assuming the "Character Select Screen Limit" theory is true, and considering that we'd have room for 91 characters with separate echo spaces, Mii Fighter spaces, and the Random space on the screen, and with the Coco echo as part of the Crash pack, then we'd only have enough room for 3 echoes from the Echo pack.

How the hell was it somewhat right? The only reason people guessed Twintelle was because we already knew an ARMS character was coming.
Ah my bad; I completely forgot about the ARMS guessing game. ^^;

I think a Crash and Spyro double reveal would be a great theme to do, as well as cause a truckload of hype and break the Internet.

True, though I think that if a new Smash game were announced, as well as more info on it gets released to the public, etc., we'd be getting a lot more new topics.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Tbh there is virtually nothing going on in speculation right now. No big leaks at all.
I for one am thankful we haven’t had any leaks since Terry. It’s allowed me to have genuine reactions for the 5 characters we’ve had since, instead of sitting there blankly looking at a trailer for a character I knew was coming and had people describing possible movesets for. With (true) leaks, a character becomes stale before I even get to see them in action.

Smashboards has really hit a deadline it seems. I see the same recycled topics and arguments every time I see this thread.

I also agree with this.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Assuming the "Character Select Screen Limit" theory is true, and considering that we'd have room for 91 characters with separate echo spaces, Mii Fighter spaces, and the Random space on the screen, and with the Coco echo as part of the Crash pack, then we'd only have enough room for 3 echoes from the Echo pack.

Ah my bad; I completely forgot about the ARMS guessing game. ^^;

I think a Crash and Spyro double reveal would be a great theme to do, as well as cause a truckload of hype and break the Internet.

True, though I think that if a new Smash game were announced, as well as more info on it gets released to the public, etc., we'd be getting a lot more new topics.
hmmm, i think Coco's best bet is Semi-clone, not Echo since she doesn't fit the proportions, and definitely not alt. i do agree with the idea of a potential fighter being bundled with their echo though since two differently numbered fighters, Pyra and Mythra, were bundled in the same pack (yes I know they’re a transformation idc). One of my ideas is KOS-MOS with a T-elos echo and Elma with a Ken-style Mecha-Fiora echo let me dream :crying:

as for character select theory, that depends if they wanna go up to 91 with Echoes or unique individual DLC or both

SKX31

Smash Master
Hey, I always try to bring up new topics and characters that don’t get discussed much. Recently I’ve been advocating for Battletoads and Illidan, which almost never get brought up. Most characters I talk about are pretty ignored in the overall Smash community. I do agree that it does get a little tiring hearing about the same 5-10 characters that the community sees as most likely, but if you want to talk about someone or something else, just try to start a conversation about them. You never know, someone else might share your interest and just not bring it up themselves because they aren’t the popular choice.
Hey, it's a good thing to do. To use an anecdotal example: I'm someone who also grew up on the Blizzard games spanning from StarCraft to WoW (even more so than Nintendo games). So I would absolutely love to see a Blizzard character and - hot take(ish?) - prefer them over Crash (even as I'd be fully okay with Crash). Then again, I had the (mis)fortune of having Wrath of Cortex be my first Crash game, so that's a major reason I suppose.

Also, between Kerrigan, Zeratul and Raynor, I'd honestly prefer Zeratul. Partly because the Protoss are really interesting to work with within the context, partly because Zeratul as a Dark Templar is not only a ninja-esque character. but a ninja-esque character that relies a lot on the Protoss' trademark shielding and can screw around with space-time. Now, slows are already in Smash (Witch Time, Foresight), but I do think that the area can be explored further. Kerrigan could be cool too, as a heavy grappler / commander hybrid character mainly.

One last thing: If you were to choose Illidan, would you mostly pull from his WC3 self or his WoW self? I haven't played beyond Classic WoW, so I couldn't tell between the two.

*While I never expect say the Lost Vikings (because they had the misfortune of predating Blizzard's rapid rise) them getting in as Spirits or cameos at the very least would be nice.

though I am curious. when the Warframe spirit (Lotus) was included in the Black themed event, was there an anniversary of some sort for Warframe, or did it just release on Switch or something?
I'm not sure on that honestly. Warframe's Switch release Nov 20 2018 (my 28th birthday coincidentally) - before Ultimate released, mind. So it can't be that.

I don't think there was any event: the Lotus Spirit was released February 28th last year, some days after WarFrame's Operation: Orphix Venom event had concluded.

Ownership does not turn out much of anything either. Warframe's devs, Digital Extremes, are mostly-owned by Hong Kong-based game / tech firm Leyou. Now, Leyou was in the news this past year due to both Tencent and Sony expressing interest in acquiring them, but that was after the Lotus Spirit was released. Tencent did close in and secured the acquisition by Dec. 23rd 2020, under one of their subsidiaries.

In short, I'm thinking that the Lotus spirit was added because Sakurai thought it'd be cool and Digital Extremes agreed.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
But it is kind of true. Go to Classic Mode and without the Miis the whole screen is filled.

Expecting any new echos at this point even is wishful thinking.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Hey, it's a good thing to do. To use an anecdotal example: I'm someone who also grew up on the Blizzard games spanning from StarCraft to WoW (even more so than Nintendo games). So I would absolutely love to see a Blizzard character and - hot take(ish?) - prefer them over Crash (even as I'd be fully okay with Crash). Then again, I had the (mis)fortune of having Wrath of Cortex be my first Crash game, so that's a major reason I suppose.

Also, between Kerrigan, Zeratul and Raynor, I'd honestly prefer Zeratul. Partly because the Protoss are really interesting to work with within the context, partly because Zeratul as a Dark Templar is not only a ninja-esque character. but a ninja-esque character that relies a lot on the Protoss' trademark shielding and can screw around with space-time. Now, slows are already in Smash (Witch Time, Foresight), but I do think that the area can be explored further. Kerrigan could be cool too, as a heavy grappler / commander hybrid character mainly.

One last thing: If you were to choose Illidan, would you mostly pull from his WC3 self or his WoW self? I haven't played beyond Classic WoW, so I couldn't tell between the two.

*While I never expect say the Lost Vikings (because they had the misfortune of predating Blizzard's rapid rise) them getting in as Spirits or cameos at the very least would be nice.

I'm not sure on that honestly. Warframe's Switch release Nov 20 2018 (my 28th birthday coincidentally) - before Ultimate released, mind. So it can't be that.

I don't think there was any event: the Lotus Spirit was released February 28th last year, some days after WarFrame's Operation: Orphix Venom event had concluded.

Ownership does not turn out much of anything either. Warframe's devs, Digital Extremes, are mostly-owned by Hong Kong-based game / tech firm Leyou. Now, Leyou was in the news this past year due to both Tencent and Sony expressing interest in acquiring them, but that was after the Lotus Spirit was released. Tencent did close in and secured the acquisition by Dec. 23rd 2020, under one of their subsidiaries.

In short, I'm thinking that the Lotus spirit was added because Sakurai thought it'd be cool and Digital Extremes agreed.
I think Zeratul is probably the coolest choice they could go with for Starcraft. I agree that the Protoss are awesome and his design is really great and unique. The main reason I usually advocate for Kerrigan over him is that I think she fits the type of moveset I want to represent an RTS game. Being the Queen of Blades, it makes perfect sense for her to be summoning Zerg units to help her in battle. I was thinking she could use Vespian Gas as a resource similar to Hero’s MP.

As for Illidan, I would honestly be fine with any version they go with.The funny thing is that I’ve always loved the character so much but I’ve never even played World of Warcraft. I’ve never really wanted to play games that have monthly fees. I did play a fair amount of Warcraft 3 (mostly just the campaign and hero arenas).

Honestly, I think I would be down for almost any character from Warcraft, Starcraft, or Diablo. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I love badass fantasy races and Blizzard is one of the best in designing really cool and unique characters that are of other races. Another game I feel does a great job in this is League of Legends. Even though I’ve never played a single game I would totally be down for a character like Kha’Zix or Nocturne.

Last edited:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman

Truth be told, this might be what happens to speculation when the options get too wide. Speculation literally can talk about the biggest third-party out there to the most minor of side characters in Metroid, but that seems to create some kind of lull in what can be justified for a Smash inclusion. Without any guidance for what the Smash team is looking for, there's ironically little room for discussion. Its like a western wilderness of ideas without much room for validation.

Unless you want to hear my argument on why the missing spirits debacle is still a big problem that just got swept under the rug.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
So, It seems you all might want some less likely and more obscure characters, perhaps even some that are traditionally deconfirmed?

Look no further than all of my most wanteds!

Porky, Pyramid Head, Phoenix Wright. I’ve been championing them ever since I got here and all of them have slim to none chances of appearing!

*sobs quietly

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So, It seems you all might want some less likely and more obscure characters, perhaps even some that are traditionally deconfirmed?

Look no further than all of my most wanteds!

*sobs quietly
That makes two of us...ONE GOT SHOT DOWN DAY ONE AT ULTIMATE’S REVEAL. That was Fiora who got Chrom’d. Neku has a very slim chance of happening now, Pythra means no Elma...

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I do think it's fair to say that speculation has hit it's burnout phase. We've been speculating about Ultimate for like what, three years now? And we still have half a year more to go until we know the final two characters. We've exhausted all possible topics to discuss, even new franchises that haven't been discussed in Smash speculation before like Halo and Ys/Trails are fresh out of juice at this point.

I still pop up whenever I can to see what you're all discussing about, but yeah I'll admit that stuff has gotten monotonous. Even Jones got bored of speculation. :nifty:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I do think it's fair to say that speculation has hit it's burnout phase. We've been speculating about Ultimate for like what, three years now? And we still have half a year more to go until we know the final two characters. We've exhausted all possible topics to discuss, even new franchises that haven't been discussed in Smash speculation before like Halo and Ys/Trails are fresh out of juice at this point.

I still pop up whenever I can to see what you're all discussing about, but yeah I'll admit that stuff has gotten monotonous. Even Jones got bored of speculation. :nifty:
It's ok bro we can talk about When They Cry content, after all, both Higurashi and Umineko are on the Switch. Boom, brand new topic as I've never ****ing seen Higu get discussed here

Technomage

Smash Champion
But it is kind of true. Go to Classic Mode and without the Miis the whole screen is filled.

Expecting any new echos at this point even is wishful thinking.
Ugh, I wasn't talking about Classic Mode, since it doesn't have as many spaces as the normal screen with separate echoes (such as multiplayer offline Smash). Plus, even with two more chars, it wouldn't be filled, since an uneven row would indicate another space.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

That’s why I’ve always preferred to talk about who I think would be the most fun or who I would personally love rather than speculate who is most likely. If we only limit discussion to the few characters that we see as most likely, we quickly run out of things to talk about. My personal belief is that if people talk about what they are more personally passionate about it will often lead to more interesting conversation. Most of my most wanted characters are pretty unlikely but I think part of the fun with Smash speculation is getting the chance to talk about our favorite characters and try to imagine what they could bring to Smash.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
It's ok bro we can talk about When They Cry content, after all, both Higurashi and Umineko are on the Switch. Boom, brand new topic as I've never ****ing seen Higu get discussed here
Kinda funny how Higurashi never got discussed here before, I'm guessing it's due to more people associating it with the anime than the VNs it started as. WTC did inspire a lot of games after it. Bravely Default was outright stated by the devs to have been inspired by Higurashi, and a composer who worked for Omori said on social media that their tracks were inspired by Umineko's soundtrack.

Now it is time for me to remind everyone to play Higurashi and Umineko :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom