• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
As if Nintendo cares about patterns. We ended up with 3 JRPG characters in the first pass with Joker, Hero, and Byleth.
Did you read what I wrote? Yeah we had three JRPG characters, but they all played radically different. They didn't all fit the same functional archetype, where Sephiroth, Pyra and Nightmare would all be power sword users. I don't see that happening

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Did you read what I wrote? Yeah we had three JRPG characters, but they all played radically different. They didn't all fit the same functional archetype, where Sephiroth, Pyra and Nightmare would all be power sword users. I don't see that happening
As I mentioned, patterns have been broken.

Also does it matter anyways? They're still of the same game genre JRPG.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Look, I pointed out Nightmare as a cheeky way to mention him. I do think he has a good chance, but yeah I am expecting Crash a character with a different way of fighting.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Look, I pointed out Nightmare as a cheeky way to mention him. I do think he has a good chance, but yeah I am expecting Crash a character with a different way of fighting.
Well I’m gonna go on a crazy ass limb and say the Lloyd costume will return with Reimu ****ing Hakurei

why? I DONT KNOW THEY BOTH WEAR RED I GUESS. SCREW LOGIC.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
As I mentioned, patterns have been broken.

Also does it matter anyways? They're still of the same game genre JRPG.
You're really blinded by the this JRPG thing huh? You can't think pass that?

Also about ending Smash on a high note. If its between Bayonetta and Corrin then ending on Bayonetta was the right choice. And when Byleth was revealed we already knew that wasn't the end of the characters. And I think Nintendo learned from the backlash, because they didn't save the second Nintendo character for the end this time.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Also about Smash on a high note. If its between Bayonetta and Corrin then ending on Bayonetta was the right choice. And when Byleth was revealed we already knew that wasn't the end of the characters. And I think Nintendo learned from the backlash, because they didn't save the second Nintendo character for the end this time.
Except they might not. We'll never know until they get revealed.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I remember Papagenos latest video he says we could end up with a Capcom character and that the Capcom Miis were meant to come with said Capcom character and decided to release it with Pyra & Mythra to commemorate Monster Hunter Rise and Ghosts n' Goblins.

Dante perhaps? He wields a sword as does Lloyd and they also wear red.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Also about Smash on a high note. If its between Bayonetta and Corrin then ending on Bayonetta was the right choice. And when Byleth was revealed we already knew that wasn't the end of the characters. And I think Nintendo learned from the backlash, because they didn't save the second Nintendo character for the end this time.
I want to add to this that I think that Byleth was never intended to be the end of Smash Ultimate. I think they knew that a second pass (or at the very least, more characters) was going to come after pass 1.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I don't feel nearly bold enough to make exact predictions for 10 and 11, but there are a few conditional elements I'll put out:

-If its a Western character, then Crash or Dovahkiin.
-Konami, Capcom, Namco, or Sega will get another fighter
-No further first parties unless its a Gen 8 Pokémon
-No likely assist trophy promotions

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Like LiveStudioAudience, at this point I don't have specific predition, but my guess is that:

-One of the fighter will be pretty big worldwide, but not necessarily Western (like Crash, Dante, Eggman etc.)
-The other is going to be more niche or sigificantly more popular in Japan (could be Arle, Wright, Adol Christin, Jibanyan, Reimu etc.)

I think that at least one of the two fighters will bring a new developpers (Activision, Falcolm, Level 5 etc.). Maybe the two fighters will be from new developpers, but I think it's also possible that Sega, Capcom or Namco have something. And I also think that we're not getting more first party.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Yeah keep in that Nintendo knew that the pass would cover two years and they planned out the fighters before Covid so they must have figured that E3 would happen like usual (Which it is happening this year with some changes). Looking at past E3 reveals, I do think CP10 is going to be western. If so then it's going to be either Crash or Dragonborn. My money is on Crash.

As for CP11, who the heck knows, that will be the wild god dam west at that point. I keep switching around between Phoenix, Arle, Hayabusa, Bill Rizer, Reimu, Lloyd/Yuri, Falcom rep, Gen 8 Pokemon or a first party shill pick for a game that either has been in the works for a while like BOTW 2 or Metroid Prime 4 or a new game that isn't announced yet. My gut says Arle but my pessimism says to expect something that I don't care about at all.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Imagine if we somehow get a Character Revealed in the Rivals Direct lol. I doubt it would happen, but it would be absolutely hysterical and change up speculation a ton.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I remember Papagenos latest video he says we could end up with a Capcom character and that the Capcom Miis were meant to come with said Capcom character and decided to release it with Pyra & Mythra to commemorate Monster Hunter Rise and Ghosts n' Goblins.

Chun-Li as well. Street Fighter has 0 mii costumes despite every other 3rd party series in Smash with playable character having them(Gil is a Namco Arcade character which Pac-Man mainly represents).

D

Deleted member

I don't really have anything specific in mind when it comes to who might come next, although I feel a dark horse pick would be Agumon, especially when Bandai hasn't had a slice of the DLC pie yet despite helping with Smash. Could be a Tales of character though, which I wouldn't mind, but I would much prefer a Digimon. Mostly cause I know literally nothing about the Tales of stuff :4pacman:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Chun-Li as well. Street Fighter has 0 mii costumes despite every other 3rd party series in Smash with playable character having them(Gil is a Namco Arcade character which Pac-Man mainly represents).
Metal Gear, Bayonetta, Castlevania, Banjo-Kazooie, and Fatal Fury also have 0 Mii Costumes from their respective franchises.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I don't feel nearly bold enough to make exact predictions for 10 and 11, but there are a few conditional elements I'll put out:

-If its a Western character, then Crash or Dovahkiin.
-Konami, Capcom, Namco, or Sega will get another fighter
-No further first parties unless its a Gen 8 Pokémon
-No likely assist trophy promotions
I can vibe with these conditions. I don't really agree with of Dovahkiin I think the Fall Out Boy Vaultboy Mii costume kinda killed Bethesda's chances in my eyes. I also think Namco's chances were killed with the Mii costumes as well. But I do agree that same company mii costumes are a lot grayer when it comes to disconfirmations

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I do think a Double Reveal is possible. Especially if they wanted to make sure Challenger Pack 11 doesn’t cause too much salt. Maybe even a Double Reveal of Zacian and Jonesy, for example. Like, they both share a reveal trailer for example.

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman

Amaterasu? She wields a sword as one of her Divine Instruments and is commonly associated with the color red.

Nah, she ain't happening :(. I'd still be down for basically any Capcom rep tho.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I don't know what it is but I'm definitely feeling Master Chief for some reason.
What a coincidence! I've been watching a video that uses Glitch Theory to theorize Master Chief (and Ryu Hayabusa).

Speaking of Glitch Theory, has it gotten any of the previous DLCs right?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
What a coincidence! I've been watching a video that uses Glitch Theory to theorize Master Chief (and Ryu Hayabusa).

Speaking of Glitch Theory, has it gotten any of the previous DLCs right?
Apparently it has... although it usually only occurs in hindsight instead of immediately. The only two updates without any glitches to hint at a character were 4.0 and 5.0... and even then we knew who was next.

That said, if the current glitches do mean anything, I think it has to be Reimu.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Well I’m gonna go on a crazy ass limb and say the Lloyd costume will return with Reimu ****ing Hakurei

why? I DONT KNOW THEY BOTH WEAR RED I GUESS. SCREW LOGIC.
If one of the last characters is an Indie character, I Imagine their Mii Costume wave might be Indie based. Lloyd would probably come with whoever the other character is to be honest

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah keep in that Nintendo knew that the pass would cover two years and they planned out the fighters before Covid so they must have figured that E3 would happen like usual (Which it is happening this year with some changes). Looking at past E3 reveals, I do think CP10 is going to be western. If so then it's going to be either Crash or Dragonborn. My money is on Crash.

As for CP11, who the heck knows, that will be the wild god dam west at that point. I keep switching around between Phoenix, Arle, Hayabusa, Bill Rizer, Reimu, Lloyd/Yuri, Falcom rep, Gen 8 Pokemon or a first party shill pick for a game that either has been in the works for a while like BOTW 2 or Metroid Prime 4 or a new game that isn't announced yet. My gut says Arle but my pessimism says to expect something that I don't care about at all.
I don't expect any more Western characters.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Glitch Theory is one of those things that only works in hindsight, Coding is hard and anything from a programmer screwing up in the code to pressing menu buttons in a certain order can cause glitches, and trying to use glitches to identify characters is hard as people have not had a good track record in predicting it "Bayonetta has a glitch that must mean it's Twintelle and Bayonetta is being used as a base" it was Min Min and Captain Falcon was used as a base

I also think people are putting too much stock in trying to match up Mii costumes with characters, I think they are tangentially related a best I don't think they are going out there and thinking "Damn we can't put in this Mii costume because this costume doesn't have a Blue sword or a Red shirt." I do think things like a costume and character being from an RPG or others of that ilk are potentially considered.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Ok well that's what you think. But I'm going off of precedence, not to mention both Crash and Dragonborn have a lot of merits.
Except I believe that they could reveal a Japanese character at E3, or perhaps two. I expect both characters to be more low key Japanese characters.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Glitch Theory is one of those things that only works in hindsight, Coding is hard and anything from a programmer screwing up in the code to pressing menu buttons in a certain order can cause glitches, and trying to use glitches to identify characters is hard as people have not had a good track record in predicting it "Bayonetta has a glitch that must mean it's Twintelle and Bayonetta is being used as a base" it was Min Min and Captain Falcon was used as a base
Hmm, well Glitch Theory was somewhat right about an ARMS rep, so I do see your point on hindsight. Though what were the rest of its past predictions, and their respective outcomes?

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I do feel that having a bigger character at E3, being revealed in the same Trailer as someone more tame would be a great way to end Smash Ultimate. Like, someone the industry at large recognizes, but isn’t necessarily that speculated for Smash, like John Marston, and some “lame” First Party also getting revealed as well. Like, Zacian or Ayumi Tachibana. Like, imagine a Projectile Fight Trailer with Zelda, Wolf, and Robin, Ayumi Tachibana gets revealed by being stuck in the Crossfire, until Wolf gets into a Duel with John, and loses, explodes in Smash Style as John Marston Shoots the Competition! Imagine how cool that would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom