• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
This talk of weapons is also forgetting the giant amount of Smash fighters who use things as weapons that aren't actually weapons. Y'know, Peach and her frying pan, Villager and their bowling ball, Mr. Game & Watch's everything. We even got a bit of that in our DLC with Steve.

One weapon that isn't conventionally a weapon that we are sorely missing though is wands. Wands are iconic! But all our magic users cast from staffs (or is it staves), tomes, or just from their hands. Reimu's gohei probably count as wands, so that's one of our better bets for that.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Reminder that this same guy compared Sakurai to a domestic abuser after Steve got in.

...nope. I’m done. I just can’t anymore

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
This talk of weapons is also forgetting the giant amount of Smash fighters who use things as weapons that aren't actually weapons. Y'know, Peach and her frying pan, Villager and their bowling ball, Mr. Game & Watch's everything. We even got a bit of that in our DLC with Steve.

One weapon that isn't conventionally a weapon that we are sorely missing though is wands. Wands are iconic! But all our magic users cast from staffs (or is it staves), tomes, or just from their hands. Reimu's gohei probably count as wands, so that's one of our better bets for that.
Do we have any Staff wielders on the roster? I can’t think of any right now.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Reminder that this same guy compared Sakurai to a domestic abuser after Steve got in.

Okay... didn't know about THAT one...

SharkLord

Smash Hero

1615922814767.png

Wikipedia says yes

SKX31

Smash Master
If banjo's a bombshell every one was a bombshell (cept terry he jut isn't big enough to compete with the rest)
Umm....

With KOF XIV, SNK noted the series' popularity was still dominant in South America and China, leading to the creation of teams composed of characters from those areas.
Sauce (Famitsu article, so in Japanese.). And that's carried over to Terry to a large extent - he's gotten prominent roles in SNK stuff that's been produced or released in China. Like the anime KOF Destiny, where he's a major character.

Using the template so kindly provided by DevaAshera earlier, I made one for a Civ rep.
Originally I wanted to have the series' icon be an hourglass imposed over a compass rose, but I found myself too inept at logo design. Also I believe Tomyris, who is a Spirit here, would be an equally good fighter candidate.
Using Mansa Musa's Civ IV appearance instead of his Civ VI one? Well, both designs are fine IMHO, so it ain't a huge issue either way.

Also, props for getting Mongolia's theme in the hypotheoretical pack: that throat singing is amazing. And an unique genre in Smash would be a really welcome bonus:

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

What about Rosalina?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Aww, I'm gonna miss him.

He was the first person to ever comment on my animated moveset video up on Youtube, call it trash and dislike it.
I believe he also got very angry that I drew a nice piece of support fan art of Crash, Spyro and Captain Toad since he didn't approve of the latter.

I never knew he had such colourful opinions of everything else Smash related. I'm morbidly fascinated by him.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Does Palutena count?
Yes, thank you. I really just couldn’t think of one. That works.
Yeah, but the original owner of the thread sorta, uh, announced their abandonment of Smash entirely, is the issue.
The people in this thread seem to really not like this guy haha. Not like its not warranted though.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
What about Rosalina?
Ahhh true true, she does use it to lead Luma around and whack people in her neutral air. So it's almost more like an orchestra conductor's wand than a magical casting wand in that sense, but I guess it still counts.

Edit: That does make me think, if you don't count Luma as a weapon because they're living beings, then 2B would bring a new type of weapon in the form of her pod.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I really couldn't care less what you think. I'm not sorry for anything I said and I stand by every single word. I'm disgusted by people like you who enable Nintendo to keep up their mental/emotional abuse and enslavement, you might think I'm being dramatic but that is literally what it is. It is emotional manipulation to the highest degree. Smash fans have what is undoubtedly a form of stockholm syndrome, where through repeated blows to the face, black eyes and choking back on their blood, they still tell themselves that Nintendo loves them and that the next character will prove it. I hate to break it to you but Nintendo just sees you as a wallet with legs and they don't care about having any sort of standards of quality control or even appeasing you in the slightest. Smash doesn't exist to make you happy it exists to bleed characters dry of all their monetary worth. You realize that if Smash didn't exist we would've had a new F-Zero by now? A new Wario Land? All these series go to Smash to die because they realize they can save money and still appease a broader audience by just taking Captain Falcon and updating his model/animation a little bit every few years, much easier than spending money developing a brand new F-Zero game that would only appeal to a subset of the same audience. They don't care. Always chase the money. Don't waste time on small people and the things they actually want because all money is the same, and anything that would cost them more for less is a waste of time. You actually apologize for this mentality because you've confused corporate interest for your own interest and fallen into the same trap as any Smash fanboy.

There's no pettiness in any of my words, Steve being included in Smash is the absolute worst thing that could have happened and we are now in uncharted waters. I don't care how it brings "joy to millions of people for all ages for years", the same could be said about eating boogers. That doesn't make it any less repulsive and vile. And the truth is all the signs were there that Nintendo doesn't care and just sees you as wallets, the idea that a worthless character like Steve is on the same level of quality and deserves the same recognition as Terry or Banjo is absolutely disgusting in every way and just shows that it sees all people's opinions as equally disposable walking money envelopes young or old, they don't have any standards, in fact they keep constantly insulting the audience and know that they can get away with it because of people like you. You and I both saw the Byleth trailer, that encapsulates everything about how they regard their fans, they made fun of the idea of "too many swordsmen" being in Smash (a common complaint) and they hung a lampshade on it by adding another swordsman anyways. It's a slap in the face, it's basically telling people "we've heard your complaints, we just don't care", which is the same reasoning they used to put Steve into the game. So you have it wrong from the start, its developers ARE bad and malicious people because they KNEW that Steve would receive a huge negative backlash, and theystill put the effort in to reprogram EVERY SINGLE STAGE IN THE GAME to work with his gimmick, nothing like that comes out of a pure desire to make people happy but a desire to actively sow more seeds of disgust and loathing in the community.

What's it going to take to get you to realize they have nothing but contempt and mockery for you? Steve's inclusion is a sign announcing this to the heavens, it's like they're holding a big neon sign saying "I ed your mom" yet here you are still apologizing for their behavior. How much more blood can they draw from the stone? The arrogance and contempt you've displayed for me just because I go against the status quo of blindly swallowing every piece of bull that Nintendo craps out just because they put the effort in isn't really bothersome to me because it says everything I need to know about you.

This has never been about what I want. I haven't ever gotten a SINGLE THING I've wanted out of any of the DLC characters and I probably never will, and I've accepted that a long time ago. This is about the death of standards and the relentless trolling that comes from the top. Smash's community will never be anything but a toxic one and the reason is because Nintendo does most of the trolling themselves - as I said, they insult and berate their audience with their character choices while we scream into the wind. They don't care. First insult was Piranha Plant. Then Byleth with the "haha too many swordsmen" troll. And now Steve, the absolute worst character choice, the rock bottom metric by which all other scenarios could be judged, has now come to pass. Tell me how can Smash be anything BUT a toxic community when the toxicity comes from the VERY TOP? Nintendo does the trolling themselves so how can their community be expected to be anything but trolls? Nintendo has basically said that it's all okay to be angry and at each other's throats all the time. It's not like they don't know what they're doing because they're one of the biggest companies in the world. Yet they turn a blind eye to the constant trolling and infighting and even the problem of child grooming within the community because as I've said countless times they do not care in the slightest. If you do not see how Smash is a poison upon the earth then I pity you.
Why is my newborn crying? - Motherly

corprate wants you to find the difference between these two pictures

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So here's a theory: Month Theory. Every DLC character came out on a different month and never overlapped on one(Piranha Plant technically overlapped with Byleth for January for people who got the early release bonus, but as a formal release for everyone else it was on February) so basically each month a character got released:

January: Byleth
February: Piranha Plant
March: Pythra
April: Joker
May:
June: Min Min
July: Hero
August:
September: Banjo
October: Steve
November: Terry
December: Sephiroth

May and August are the last two months unaccounted for.

Coincidentally there's exactly 2 characters left and May would be around the time CP10 would be released at the rate of DLC releases right now.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So here's a theory: Month Theory. Every DLC character came out on a different month and never overlapped on one(Piranha Plant technically overlapped with Byleth for January for people who got the early release bonus, but as a formal release for everyone else it was on February) so basically each month a character got released:

May:
August:

Coincidentally there's exactly 2 characters left and May would around the time CP10 would be released at the rate of DLC releases right now.
Haven't we been talking about this one for a while now?

Technomage

Smash Champion

May:
August:

Coincidentally there's exactly 2 characters left and May would be around the time CP10 would be released at the rate of DLC releases right now.
You forgot to add November, which is the month that Terry was released on.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
yeah but, Hero, Byleth and the others (cept for terry) all kind of eclipse him in terms of popularity, Banjo isn't that well known now.

Hero was the biggest of fp1 though by far.
Saying that Joker and especially Byleth eclipses him in popularity is a stretch as Joker, Terry and Banjo are pretty much in a similar lane of icon status at worst and Byleth wasn’t even the most popular Three Houses character let alone the most popular FE character that wasn’t in Smash before he was picked in 2018 (hi, Lyn). He’s the “smallest” character in FP1, though ultimately none of the FP1 characters (except Hero in Japan) were all that big. Recency =/= notability.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

May:
August:
November: Terry

Just imagine waiting until August for the final character. It's going to be painful... but not as painful as the wait for Min Min.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Reads post from Earthworm Jim thread creator

Holy ****, and I thought I wasn't crazy about Steve joining Smash lol.
I remember one time he argued Steve couldn't join, and I argued with him over it. It was in an old Newcomer Speculation thread that wasn't as active as the recent ones have been, at least for a while (it had a few hundred-something pages, but was very slow for a good while iirc, back before Ultimate's release).

He seemed cool about it though tbh; while his arguments confused me and he didn't like Steve, he didn't seem very hateful, and even said he'd like Steve if he had the design Doc made (an artist Notch hired in Minecraft's early years, but he left the team and so his designs were scrapped). He argued that he was making arguments against Steve because he didn't want Steve fans to feel down if he doesn't get in, which y'know, sounds okay I guess.

Then I saw him in the Banjo & Kazooie thread once, since I'm a B-K fan too, and he seemed like he hated Steve fans simply because we liked Steve, showing his true colors there and in the Steve thread later down the line when B&K got in, crapping on us/saying Steve wouldn't get in and Master Chief is next (and apparently he was toxic previously in the Steve thread, too, I just didn't see 'til afterwards) >_>

Oh, but a Tetromino would be SO much better than Steve, even though his reasons against Steve fit a Tetromino much better smh. He didn't want/hated Steve to the point of toxicity, but a frickin I-block is perfection? I'd like Tetrominos too but GEEZ...

And reading his posts...he really thinks the Minecraft and Smash devs are malicious because they knew Steve would receive a huge negative backlash (and maybe really just because he didn't get what he wanted)? How lol. And huge negative backlash? I guess he wanted to pretend the majority doesn't exist.

I don't really like discussing like this over people but MAN I wanted to vent a little...hope he's doing good though, maybe he'll get better.

ngl though, between him and the twitter Steve haters acting like childish jerks, I was feelin' smug on Steve's reveal day after a while of focusing on my immense joy, though I know I shouldn't feel smug and I didn't rub his entry in anyone's face...

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I mean, this PsychoJosh guy seemed like a colorful character

But to be honest (and this goes for Smash speculation as a whole), I don't mind if people do be hating on Characters, even to extreme degrees like PsychoJosh with Steve, or that Shokio reaction with Steve (even if he was being very hyperbolic according to him).

If they really want to express their opinions like that, I think that is fine, As long as they are willing to accept the potential consequences and responses in return of course, and also as long as they aren't putting people in Danger.

Though yeah I think it would be preferred if people were less extreme about some of their hate towards characters, even if Raging like that can be entertaining at times. Not being that extreme is honestly good for both the person hating, their wellbeing, and also the other people around, and the community at large

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Project M EX Remix, a decently popular Brawl Mod, recently got an update, and it got me thinking: how would speculators feel about the roster of the game.

It's roster has some... odd choices.
Elizabeth Bathory from the mobile videogame Fate/Grand Order is the most based choice.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Cats have claws and paws.
That would mean my adorable wickle snookums who's sleeping on the couch doesn't have bean pads but claws and I refuse to accept that reality for he is baby and is literally terrified of birds.
Project M EX Remix, a decently popular Brawl Mod, recently got an update, and it got me thinking: how would speculators feel about the roster of the game?

It's roster has some... odd choices.
Why in the goddamn is the ArcSys character ****ing Nu?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
  • Nintendo isn't as chummy with Activision as they have been with Microsoft
  • DLC characters need to be more complex
  • They always blow their hype load early, and we already got :ultsteve::ultsephiroth:.
I was going to debate this, but then I realized you don’t argue in good faith so nah. 1 and 2 are blatantly wrong, and 3 you can argue against easily due to E3 being a prime time to reveal stuff for smash they could reveal something bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom