• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pillow

Smash Lord
God, I love this animation so much. I really ought to pick up UNIB at one point. I've seen gameplay, and they always manage to make the attacks in it look extremely cool.
If you just want to look cool without having to actually learn a new complex game, he's also in Blazblue Xtag where you can mash buttons to victory.

What is a scythe but a giant sickle?

Harvest Moon time.
Would actually vibe with this so hard. Sakuna is my farmer character of choice still though.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace

he has a support thread, very few characters have literally nobody supporting them
Yeah, but the original owner of the thread sorta, uh, announced their abandonment of Smash entirely, is the issue.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Why do people think Crash is so likely?
Because a commercial they saw when they were kids told them he was Mario's rival even though he wasn't and his games sucked.

I do think Fortnite has the better Crossover Roster, simply because it tackles more avenues in terms of media. Smash Has good amount of Gaming Icons, but it's just Gaming Icons.
Which is exactly how I want it.

If Smash had 4th Party characters, I wouldn't buy it. Just like none of those characters got me to buy Fortnite.

Last edited:
God, I love this animation so much. I really ought to pick up UNIB at one point. I've seen gameplay, and they always manage to make the attacks in it look extremely cool.
It's pretty great. Every character has dumb stuff. Enkidu has a heavy attack that turns into a command grab when charged. And he can combo off of it.

I will say combo timing can be pretty strict and stuff like holding down a button a couple frames too long can mess up what you're trying to do depending on the character. And the online isn't great, though the developers said they are looking into rollback, so that might get fixed down the line.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
If you just want to look cool without having to actually learn a new complex game, he's also in Blazblue Xtag where you can mash buttons to victory.
Ah, that's not an issue. My first (and currently only) fighting game was Skullgirls, so my idea of a simplified fighting game is one where I can actually get out of disadvantage.

I hear UNIB has charge characters? Like, Sonic Boom and Flash Kick kind of charge? I definitely like the feeling of holding back during a combo and then hitting forward to cancel into a special. Is that a thing?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yeah, but the original owner of the thread sorta, uh, announced their abandonment of Smash entirely, is the issue.
I remember that dude, he wasn’t very nice if you were a Steve fan. Even came to the Steve thread to crap on us after Banjo & Kazooie’s reveal.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Ah, that's not an issue. My first (and currently only) fighting game was Skullgirls, so my idea of a simplified fighting game is one where I can actually get out of disadvantage.

I hear UNIB has charge characters? Like, Sonic Boom and Flash Kick kind of charge? I definitely like the feeling of holding back during a combo and then hitting forward to cancel into a special. Is that a thing?
Waldstein and Vatista have charge attacks. Wald is your grappler whilst Vatista is your charge character. She even has ones that entail holding forwards and up as well.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
  • Nintendo isn't as chummy with Activision as they have been with Microsoft
  • DLC characters need to be more complex
  • If they weren't as chummy with each other, we wouldn't have gotten so many Switch ports of Activision games
  • Banjo, Byleth, and Pyra/Mythra (and, hell, I'd even say Sephiroth) have pretty straightforward movesets, yet that didn't stop them

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
yiiiiiiiiiiiikes not a good look 😬
I'd say it's pretty fitting for Earthworm Jim, considering who the series creator is.
I remember that dude, he wasn’t very nice if you were a Steve fan.
You should read their final message in that thread. It was... hoo boy, it's not everyday you see something like that...
...now that’s what I call a bruh moment
...Yeah, I was trying to be a little polite about it, but... yeah, I think it was a bit overblown and childish as well.

Waldstein and Vatista have charge attacks. Wald is your grappler whilst Vatista is your charge character. She even has ones that entail holding forwards and up as well.
I hear Vatista's hard... not that that's gonna stop me. So I can charge back, hit forward, do a move, keep holding forward, hit back, do another move? That sounds really fun, honestly.

Technomage

Smash Champion
So on the topic of weapons not repped in Smash, what kinds of weapons are not yet repped in the fighter roster? We have swords, greatswords, grappling hooks, wands, pistols, cannons, hammers, buzzsaws, chainsaws (well, in sword form), drills, shields, bows, bombs/grenades, boomerangs, daggers, rocket hammers, laser/plasma blasters, missile launchers, clubs (including baseball bats), double-ended swords (though the only ones we have can turn into bows and a dual-wielded set of two separated swords), staves (though not quarterstaves), rifles, lightsabers, land mines, shuriken/chakram (and other similar weapons like sawblades), gattling/machine guns (at least as a function of the Mii Gunner's cannon), glaives, axes (including ones that are practically used like tomahawks), whip-swords, flails, bayonets (well, a bird used like a bayonet),and pick axes in the playable roster.

As for weapons not part of the roster, we have vibroblades (used by the Gray Fox), throwing knives (used by Ghirahim), railguns (mounted on Metal Gear REX, which sometimes appears on Shadow Moses Island), quarterstaves (used by Krystal), scythes (Death's Scythe), lances (used by Mii Swordfighters wearing Arthur's armor), and claws (used by Metal Face).

What weapons do we not have yet? We don't have fans, normal spears (unless you count Krystal's staff as such), crossbows, maces, or normal whips (as in whips that aren't flails or whipswords). I also don't think we have darts, either.

Last edited:
So on the topic of weapons not repped in Smash, what kinds of weapons are not yet repped in the fighter roster? We have swords, greatswords, grappling hooks, wands, pistols, cannons, hammers, buzzsaws, chainsaws (well, in sword form), drills, shields, bows, bombs/grenades, boomerangs, daggers, rocket hammers, laser/plasma blasters, missile launchers, clubs (including baseball bats), double-ended swords (though the only ones we have can turn into bows and a dual-wielded set of two separated swords), staves (though not quarterstaves), rifles, lightsabers, land mines, shuriken/chakram (and other similar weapons like sawblades), gattling/machine guns (at least as a function of the Mii Gunner's cannon), glaives, axes (including ones that are practically used like tomahawks), whip-swords, flails, bayonets (well, a bird used like a bayonet),and pick axes in the playable roster.

As for weapons not part of the roster, we have vibroblades (used by the Gray Fox), throwing knives (used by Ghirahim), railguns (mounted on Metal Gear REX, which sometimes appears on Shadow Moses Island), quarterstaves (used by Krystal), scythes (Death's Scythe), lances (used by Mii Swordfighters wearing Arthur's armor), and claws (used by Metal Face).

What weapons do we not have yet? We don't have fans, normal spears (unless you count Krystal's staff as such), crossbows, maces, or normal whips (as in whips that aren't flails or whipswords). I also don't think we have darts, either.
Byleth has a spear. I'd like more, but we have one.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
how?

Banjo was one of the most requested characters. ever.
yeah but, Hero, Byleth and the others (cept for terry) all kind of eclipse him in terms of popularity, Banjo isn't that well known now.

Hero was the biggest of fp1 though by far.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord

Another important question is which major video game protagonists that have a chance of making it into Smash actually have a nonstandard weapon like one of these? Like, I guess Hayabusa could come with kunai, which Greninja uses but doesn't throw. Master Chief would have more conventional firearms. What kind of weapon does Sora's Keyblade count as?

But yeah, sadly most big gaming icons have weapons that are already at least a bit represented in Smash as is.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I don't think we have any martial arts weapons. Stuff like tonfas or nunchucks or claw weapons (Wolf's the closest for that).
I mentioned claws already (like what Metal Face uses). But yeah, we don't have nunchucks or tonfas.

Come to think of it, we don't have hooks, slings, slingshots, kusari-gama, rope darts, or brass knuckles, either (though we do have boxing gloves, which are kinda like brass knuckles).

Another important question is which major video game protagonists that have a chance of making it into Smash actually have a nonstandard weapon like one of these? Like, I guess Hayabusa could come with kunai, which Greninja uses but doesn't throw. Master Chief would have more conventional firearms. What kind of weapon does Sora's Keyblade count as?

But yeah, sadly most big gaming icons have weapons that are already at least a bit represented in Smash as is.
Hmmm, I think Keyblades are more like axes.

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Now I agree that that meme is pretty disingenuous, but I think the overall point that Fortnite is a massive crossover that most other games would kill for is true. I don't think most smash fans would trade what we have for what Fortnite does, but on a grander scale I think Fortnite has a real claim to "biggest crossover ever."
I mean, even in the world of video games, Ultimate was never "the biggest crossover ever" because LEGO Dimensions existed. Maybe it wasn't as beloved as Smash is, but it combined characters from so many different studios, estates, and publishers from all over the multimedia landscape. When you've got characters from movies and etc. in your crossover, hey, you're automatically playing in a different ballpark than Smash.

Same with Fortnite. I have no doubt that they'll accumulate enough characters from all over by the end of this year to get Guinness World Records to officially declare it the biggest multimedia crossover in history or something. They're an enormous multi-plat money-making juggernaut, it's kind of their thing.

But what makes Smash different (at least to my knowledge) is how much third-party characters look, act, and feel like their original source material. I've played a whopping one round of Fortnite and from what I can tell, the guest characters are essentially glorified skins that match the overall feel of every other character in the game i.e. Ryu with a Gun.

Basically, that meme is pretty dumb comparing these two drastically different crossover games, but it's also apparently a really dope time to be a Fortnite fan.

(Maybe an ignorant question, but what exactly does the Venn diagram between "I love Fortnite" and "I love 1991's Terminator 2: Judgement Day" look like?)

I mentioned claws already (like what Metal Face uses). But yeah, we don't have nunchucks or tonfas.

Come to think of it, we don't have hooks, slings, slingshots, kusari-gama, rope darts, or brass knuckles, either (though we do have boxing gloves, which are kinda like brass knuckles).
Yeah, I wasn't sure whether brass knuckles even would count, since it's just a tool that helps with the punching.

Villager uses a slingshot for aerials.

My reading comprehension is doing really bad today, sorry about that.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Yeah, I wasn't sure whether brass knuckles even would count, since it's just a tool that helps with the punching.

Villager uses a slingshot for aerial

My reading comprehension is doing really bad today, sorry about that.
Ah, I completely forgot about that slingshot! ^^;

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
The thing with Crash is that “there’s no such thing as a lock” morphed into “there’s no such thing as a likely character” in the movement that pushes back against community speculation in the name of “abolishing fanrules” and Crash is very symptomatic in that tug-of-war between overrating him for having things going for him and being underrated for being a popular pick for Smash, which somehow had got the reputation of being bad luck.
Of course, Smash speculation is bound to be wrong, and has been spectacularly wrong in the past, but for every Smash 4 K. Rool there’s a Palutena, a Shulk and a Little Mac to prove that being a heavy-hitter in the bowels of character speculation threads isn’t a deconfirmation.

However, and this is where I like to use math, even if Crash has significantly more going for him, there’s a good fifty characters with things going for them too and only two chances left. (My math isn’t very precise)

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Using the template so kindly provided by DevaAshera earlier, I made one for a Civ rep.
Originally I wanted to have the series' icon be an hourglass imposed over a compass rose, but I found myself too inept at logo design. Also I believe Tomyris, who is a Spirit here, would be an equally good fighter candidate.
Getting a Baba Yetu remix in the game alone would be great. Civilization is one of those series I see commonly suggested to be represented via a stage rather than a character, but I heard people say the same about Minecraft and we all saw how that turned out.

Giant Death Robots being novice while Scout is advanced is pretty criminal.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Reminder that this same guy compared Sakurai to a domestic abuser after Steve got in.

EDIT: Almost forgot about the time he went on one of my articles just to trash it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom