• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Piranha Plant is an extremely iconic Mario character though. And the only Smash reveal that broke the internet was Sonic. Steve didn't break Twitter that day.
Bruh Twitter straight up did not work for hours since that announcement in October, the only other time I remember this happening was Micheal Jackson's death

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I hope Nintendo doesn't give a **** and just makes the entire pass and next pass JRPG characters. 😎
If it gets us Mega Man.EXE or Starforce Mega Man, then cool.

If not, then get that **** outta here my *****.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
Now I agree that that meme is pretty disingenuous, but I think the overall point that Fortnite is a massive crossover that most other games would kill for is true. I don't think most smash fans would trade what we have for what Fortnite does, but on a grander scale I think Fortnite has a real claim to "biggest crossover ever."

PacificFun

Smash Ace
Bruh Twitter straight up did not work for hours since that announcement in October, the only other time I remember this happening was Micheal Jackson's death
Numerous users told me that Twitter was having its own issues when Steve was revealed. So it gave the illusion that Steve broke Twitter.

Also, ****. He's been gone for that long...

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
This talk about potential DLCs has got me thinking: Since memory space is gonna be an influence on how much new content we could get, how much more could Smash stuff into itself?
Well, I am still wondering about that 91-before-crashing CSS thing. I think that may indeed be tied to the memory as the limit is still 91 to this day

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I just want Lloyd man.

Got nothing against ya'll who don't want RPG characters but...

My boy is on the line.

Same goes with people who don't want more sword characters too.

But at the same time...

I think the sword argument is still a bit foolish because so many protags use them, guns or their fists. There's not many that use different types of weapons outside of those 3, at least not many that are mainstream to the general gaming public.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Ignoring the idea that Dragon Quest is obscure outside Japan, it's so surreal seeing Joker cited as a huge pick for the Nintendo fandom
I think Joker is cited as a huge pick because it is so out of left field. Persona is just enough in the gaming zeitgeist, especially after Persona 5, that people know of it. But at the same time, it has almost no connection to Nintendo outside of Persona Q (I don't count SMT, since those two have diverged long ago). So when you reveal that the first DLC character is such an out of left field choice that most people have positive opinions of, some magic happens.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Now I agree that that meme is pretty disingenuous, but I think the overall point that Fortnite is a massive crossover that most other games would kill for is true. I don't think most smash fans would trade what we have for what Fortnite does, but on a grander scale I think Fortnite has a real claim to "biggest crossover ever."
Eh, most crossovers were never meant to be a celebration of pop culture but of specific properties so it is an apples and oranges comparison.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Okay, now I can't help but to imagine the biggest plot twist: You dislike it because it turns out you're a Garena Free Fire fan. :4pacman:

(FTR, I presume you're not, just joking around.)
I know you're joking, and I'm certainly not a fan of Free Fire, but I feel like I should say that Free Fire has grown considerably in Brazil, to the point that even big soccer clubs like Corinthians have started sponsoring teams.

The playerbase has garnered a certain level of mockery, though. Mostly through names that I shouldn't say here.

Tbh that's why I already knew the name when you first mentioned it on this thread some time ago.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think the sword argument is still a bit foolish because so many protags use them, guns or their fists. There's not many that use different types of weapons outside of those 3, at least not many that are mainstream to the general gaming public.
Blame King Arthur and his sword in the stone. Also the samurai and ninja and their fancy katanas. Those are just the cool heroic weapons now; Axes are too brutish, spears aren't flashy enough, bows are suited for fancy melee combat, knives are for thieves and rogues, and staffs are generally given to monks, who often just settle for their bare hands instead.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Well, I am still wondering about that 91-before-crashing CSS thing. I think that may indeed be tied to the memory as the limit is still 91 to this day
So including the last 2 chars of Pass 2, we'd have room for 6 more characters if that 91 CSS Limit theory is true. Though how likely is it to be true?

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
So I guess the real question is, would Nintendo be willing to approach Sony? I remember someone said at least one of them still held a grudge against the other, but I can't remember which.

I just hope that if they DO decide to collab, it's with a character who would actually be interesting in Smash. Someone like Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, or Kat from Gravity Rush. Just... no overly-realistic characters, okay? I know those are what Sony is known for these days, but... no.
Ratchet is my most wanted Sony character, but Kratos would have the best moveset potential out of any of their characters. He’d be so much fun.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So including the last 2 chars of Pass 2, we'd have room for 6 more characters if that 91 CSS Limit theory is true. Though how likely is it to be true?
Are you accounting for stacked Echoes or no?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Ratchet is my most wanted Sony character, but Kratos would have the best moveset potential out of any of their characters. He’d be so much fun.
Can we at least base him off the original games? Reboot Kratos is pretty boring to me...

Also, 900 pages! Woo!

Technomage

Smash Champion
Are you accounting for stacked Echoes or no?
I'm making the assumption that would be based on Echoes being separated, since that would yield the biggest CSS. That also brings me to something I'd have a liking for: An Echo Pass with 4 more echoes, since that would fill the CSS whether Echoes are stacked or separated (though that doesn't take into account the CSS's appearance in Multi-Man Smash (which has no Random square) nor its appearance in Classic Mode (which does not have the Random space nor the Mii Fighter spaces).

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
If they really wanted to expand the roster beyond 91, there’s probably some way that they could do so. Just ask the Brawl modders; mods like PMEX Remix expand the CSS waaaay beyond its natural limit (and on a Wii, too.)

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
To be honest I think Joker was super well received because... no one expected him. That's not the only reason of course... the rise in popularity of Persona helped, and Persona 5 specially was everywhere for a while and has remained as one of the key JRPGs of the generation, and for a lot of people, one of the best games of the entire gen. But still, no one saw it coming.
He was also the first paid DLC character and therefore, the start of additional content. That was good in everyone's eyes even if he wasn't your cup of tea. It was a period where the hype was at it's peak, with Smash Ultimate being released the same day as Joker was announced.

I'm sure Joker would have received a different reaction if he was scheduled for CP4 or CP5, for example. Still overall positive, but not as positive, I'd dare to say.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Adding more to my idea of an Echo Pass: If that were to happen (and with 4 echoes), what characters would be the most likely? Also, what characters would people here like to see?

The most likely echoes I see are: Shadow the Hedgehog (as a Sonic echo), a Fire Emblem (as much as I would NOT want that, even if it were to NOT be another Marth clone), Coco Bandicoot (as an echo of Crash, who is very likely to be added in FP2, by the way), and Tom Nook (as a Villager echo)

As for echoes I'd like to see, they are: Krystal (while she could/would have easily gotten a unique moveset involving her staff, which I would have preferred, I'd be okay with her being an echo of Fox (complete with her Assault outfit), especially since Wolf and Falco are now semi-echoes), Glass Joe (as a Little Mac echo), Coco (see above paragraph for more info), and Vampire Wario (as an echo of regular Wario)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Adding more to my idea of an Echo Pass: If that were to happen (and with 4 echoes), what characters would be the most likely? Also, what characters would people here like to see?

The most likely echoes I see are: Shadow the Hedgehog (as a Sonic echo), a Fire Emblem (as much as I would NOT want that, even if it were to NOT be another Marth clone), Coco Bandicoot (as an echo of Crash, who is very likely to be added in FP2, by the way), and Tom Nook (as a Villager echo)

As for echoes I'd like to see, they are: Krystal (while she could/would have easily gotten a unique moveset involving her staff, which I would have preferred, I'd be okay with her being an echo of Fox (complete with her Assault outfit), especially since Wolf and Falco are now semi-echoes), Glass Joe (as a Little Mac echo), Coco (see above paragraph for more info), and Vampire Wario (as an echo of regular Wario)
Ok but hear me out

a 4 spaces long pass that has two packs come with their own echo. Bundling two characters in one pack isn’t impossible as of Pythra

combinations I can think of:
  • Arle Nadja w/Tee echo
  • KOS-MOS with T-elos echo (Ken style)
  • Elma with Mecha-Fiora echo (Ken/Chrom style, uses Drones instead of guns) 😭

7NATOR

Smash Master
Honestly, just to be honest

I do think Fortnite has the better Crossover Roster, simply because it tackles more avenues in terms of media. Smash Has good amount of Gaming Icons, but it's just Gaming Icons. It doesn't have Marvel, DC, Movies like Alien, Star Wars, John Wick, or even other Gaming Icons like Master Chief, Kratos, and now Lara

Smash though I think handles the actual guest characters much better. While all these character appearing in Fortnite is very Epic, they all apparently use the standard moveset, and most of their unique abilities is relegated to Taunts that have no gameplay effect. It's funny to have characters like Ryu or Kratos do funny dances and use guns, but it's also said that I can't do an Hadoken in Fortnite or something like that

You can do that in Smash, And I think that's also a large reason Smash is so popular when it comes to it's guest appearances, it (Usually) does a really good job of making the guest character movesets, and other specific content. it's awesome to see

---------------------------

There are also things I want to note though

-Epic Games, to my knowledge, has only Collab with Strictly Western Companies and I.P's. I think Street Fighter is the closet thing to a Japanesse I.P, but even then Street Fighter is owned by the U.S Branch of Capcom. We haven't seen Epic Collab with Japanese I.P's or Companies that much. do with that info what you want

-Remember that Sony went to that Smash Ultimate Spa tournament some time ago, and I believe it was the gaming division of Sony as well. Maybe some discussions could have started there. But yeah there is uncertainty of whether Nintendo talked to them or not, as Sony hasn't really been supportive of the Switch that much.

Now I'm sure that with Nintendo seeing that these Collabs with other Companies are what's gonna drive the hype For Smash at this point, they probably reached out to as many companies for whatever is next for Smash, probably starting with Companies that at least have, or about to have games on the System, like Epic Games, WB Games, EA, Tencent/Riot, in terms of New Companies. They might reach to Sony just because even if they don't have a presence, they do have a nice catalog of characters that could be used to sell Smash itself

Technomage

Smash Champion
Because he’s iconic and had a well-received revival and a bright future.
There's also these:

Crash is a big part of Nintendo's history as one of their competitors' biggest IPs
Crash has had quite a few AAA games on Nintendo consoles recently
Crash is also a pretty popular request as a DLC char Turns out, that might not change much

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
There's also these:

Crash is a big part of Nintendo's history as one of their competitors' biggest IPs
Crash has had quite a few AAA games on Nintendo consoles recently
Crash is also a pretty popular request as a DLC char
To be fair, the last point is pretty irrelevant as none of the 5 DLC characters we got in this pass had anything to do with fan demand.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It keeps throwing me off whenever people count Pyra and Mythra as two fighters when describing the pass as a whole. I keep grouping them together because they're part of the same pack and can be swapped freely between each other, to the point that the game itself counts them in the same slot. When discussing balance and ratios, I think the two would be counted together, because Nintendo only specified Sakurai have an XC2 character. The original choice would've been Rex, who would most likely just be counted as only one fighter.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
But we already got Bowsers Jr. and Sr., Samus, Charizard, Duck Hunt Dog, Daisy, Incineroar, Inkling Girl, Ken, Min Min, and Kazooie; what's one more orange critter gonna hurt? :troll:
About as much as a bandicoot getting thrown at your face, which would probably sting quite a bit with enough momentum.

7NATOR

Smash Master

To be honest, I have trouble coming up with some Likely Echoes

Most of the Potential echoes I see people throwing out, Likely wouldn't get in anyway as echoes since either

-They would probably get in as their own characters, since they have the merits to (Shadow, Dixie, Maybe Tom Nook and Octoling)
-Their Base character aren't in yet, so it's hard to judge (Coco)
-They Could just be alts (Dry Bowser, Gooigi)
-They might not have the merits to be in as an Echo

the best 4 I came up with were

-Mrs. Pac-Man
-Jeanne
-Ninten
-Black Shadow

Mrs. Pac-Man has rights issues, but they might have also been sorted out since then. Also to be honest she also could just be an alt as well, though if you want to have the experience of Mrs. Pac-Man, you could make her Faster, but perhaps more vulnerable, to match how her game was Faster, but harder as well

Jeanne has been passed up in Ultimate as well. Maybe if Bayonetta 3 actually starts existing and she has a major role in it, then perhaps she could be Echo instead of just a Recolor this time

Ninten was the OG Protagonist, so that's something to consider. Nintendo has also been showing love to Earthbound it seems in some aspects, but unsure on this one

Black Shadow is a weird case, since I know alot of the requests for him come down to Having Ganondorf's old moveset when Ganondorf gets that new moveset, if that day every comes. I'm unsure if that would count as an echo or what though

But I honestly have trouble thinking about who would be a Realistic Echo. I think there is a good reason why there were only 5 New Echoes in Ultimate, and why there were none in DLC

SKX31

Smash Master
I know you're joking, and I'm certainly not a fan of Free Fire, but I feel like I should say that Free Fire has grown considerably in Brazil, to the point that even big soccer clubs like Corinthians have started sponsoring teams.

The playerbase has garnered a certain level of mockery, though. Mostly through names that I shouldn't say here.

Tbh that's why I already knew the name when you first mentioned it on this thread some time ago.
Yeah, I only learned of it since Zhuge kept posting about "BTW, here's this mobile BR that is secretly huge." (Exaggeration mine.)

Then again, it illustrates really well how regions where video games first started to really pick up with computers / mobiles are not being defined by say Mario's early games. At all. While Mario games no doubt found their way to those regions - via importing, clones, knock offs or what have you - the contrast between NA / JP especially and say India / former USSR is so stark because consoles didn't take off officially in the latter two regions. For understandable reasons - an Estonian developer once noted that even getting a PS1 with FF7 was a luxury:

EuqmWPlXcAIRruv.jpg
EuqmW1DWgAAoshD.jpg

The person interviewed here helped develop Disco Elysium, by the by.

Also, looking at how Indian reporters talk about Pokemon the anime's success there - when it first aired there - it's like Mario doesn't even exist to the reporters who wrote the articles in 2003 / 2004:

In India, Pokemon's viewership is directly linked to the sale of the snack brand, Cheetos, which offers Tazos or cards with pictures of various Pokemon. The craze for Cheetos is phenomenal. Children are constantly seeking these Tazos and compare their collection of cards with their peers, sometimes even exchanging them.What is it about Pokemon that attracts such a huge fan following of children? This is a constant refrain among adults. "I can understand their fascination for Tom and Jerry or Scooby Doo. But what do they see in Pokemon?" asks a father of two. He never ceases to be amazed at their fascination for Pokemon.
It's not only solid confirmation that Pokemon's merchandising spread farther than the games, but it's like looking at a place and time where the Pokemon games were just an afterthought. TPC might as well be an shadowy group of creators in this case. The Game Boy might as well be "just" a brick that could withstand air strikes to the reporter and the dad, it was evidently that unknown.

What mattered is still strikingly similar to what mattered - and happened - in the West and Japan: a lot of Indian kids watched Gary Mother****ing Oak announce his plans, and rushed to buy Cheetos in hopes of getting Pokemon cards.

About as much as a bandicoot getting thrown at your face, which would probably sting quite a bit with enough momentum.
Well, as much as I'd appriciate the screentime, I don't want to be part of a zany Crash death scene. Cartoon violence does sting quite a bit. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Why do people think Crash is so likely?
Crash Bandicoot has seen major success throughout the last five years, has a healthy fanbase, Activision has worked with Nintendo with Donkey Kong and Bowser both appearing in Skylanders back in 2015 with their own amiibos, highly requested since the N. Sane trilogy came out back in 2017 which is enough time for Nintendo to consider Crash Bandicoot for Fighter Pass 2 and the five year plan that was mentioned in a European magazine that while doesn't show the contents of what would be included could end off with a bombshell.

There maybe more reasons but that's all I can think of from the top of my head. That being said if he's not in by Challenger Pack 10 then I don't believe he's in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom