• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
One of the character I remember being heavily requested years ago was professor Layton I wonder how did it die out?
Honestly I'm thinking of just giving up on the character come next Smash if absolutely nothing related to him or Level-5 in general shows up by the end of Ultimate's lifespan...

Even Koei Tecmo and other smaller Japanese third party companies at least got some spirits and/or an assist trophy here and there. Closest thing Level-5 has is :ulthero2: and even then they weren't acknowledged for him anywhere whatsoever.

The company being so quiet with very little notable activity from them (asides from some interviews of them reminiscing on Layton and Yo-Kai Watch with no word on their future endeavours) doesn't really inspire much confidence in their future either. Its sad but oh well...

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
But guys! Nintendo totally isn't a billion dollar corporation and hasn't made a billion dollars off Smash already! They NEEEEEED that Fortnite money in order to not go bankrupt!
Nope! They're going to add fortnite guy! Nintendo is a small indie company and needs those v bucks. The world is doomed! There is no hope anymore! Everything has gone down the toilet! The normies win...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
People won't let go of the idea that they're choosing characters for reasons other than "we need a bajillion dollars", I won't let go of my strawman.
1615910621706.png

A strawman is, by definition, a misrepresented argument used because it's easier to defeat than the actual argument. It is, by nature, going to severely weaken your points. If you admit that you're using a strawman and saying you won't let go, it's... Not going to boost your credibility, that much I can say.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
View attachment 307479
A strawman is, by definition, a misrepresented argument used because it's easier to defeat than the actual argument. It is, by nature, going to severely weaken your points. If you admit that you're using a strawman and saying you won't let go, it's... Not going to boost your credibility, that much I can say.
I mean. Expecting otherwise when Nelson's used this argument for Dante and Crash, characters who aren't even in the top 3 IPs unrepresented in Smash by those companies is kinda your fault.

SKX31

Smash Master
So I guess the real question is, would Nintendo be willing to approach Sony? I remember someone said at least one of them still held a grudge against the other, but I can't remember which.

I just hope that if they DO decide to collab, it's with a character who would actually be interesting in Smash. Someone like Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, or Kat from Gravity Rush. Just... no overly-realistic characters, okay? I know those are what Sony is known for these days, but... no.
On one hand, it sounds plausible that Nintendo and Sony would still not be on the nicest terms. Sure, they're not direct competitors anymore, but Sony was the first competitor that seriously put Nintendo on the backfoot. While Microsoft topped Nintendo during the GCN era and came rather close during the Wii / 360 era, Nintendo probably considered Sony more of a threat. Ditto with Sony, they probably targeted Nintendo primarily.

On the other... if there was anyone with the biggest grudge it was Kutaragi. And now he's out of the picture and no longer head of the PlayStation team. Likewise, it's been quite a few years since they last seriously competed. So maybe it's mellowed out enough? Extremely difficult to say, but the fact that the Kratos skin was not removed from Fortnite's Switch version does help support that case a bit.

I'd like to point out that Microsoft was mainly for the sheer size of Minecraft, with BK being a bonus to please the fans. Terry was likely because of SNK themselves rather than Tencent, as they have a lot of legacy behind them, are a cheaper option, and supported the Switch early in it's lifecycle.
Besides, something I wanna point out is that the SNK-Tencent link has not extended much outside of China. The first time - AFAIK - that had any international effect was when Gongsun Li wandered her way into SamSho.

As far as Nintendo's concerned, they might've been aware of that and considered that a bonus for their own plans, but it's far from a primary reason.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Ivander

Smash Legend
Here's a dumb meme I found on Twitter:
View attachment 307483
You know it's dumb when not only were Min-Min and Pyra/Mythra were well-received, but it doesn't use Joker, Banjo, Steve and Sephiroth.

Also, obligatory Loki & Tony Stark reference:
Fortnite: "I have Kratos vs Master Chief vs Ryu vs Wolverine vs Batman vs John Wicke vs Lara Croft vs Terminator vs Alien vs Predator."
Smash Bros: "We have a Steve who broke Twitter and a Sephiroth who was recognised from the first two music notes."

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
View attachment 307479
This is just confirming what most of us already knew anyway

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Really, an AT promotion would just be like any other new fighter, except about roughly 1/20th to 1/15th of the moveset is already in the game, plus a base model and some non-offensive animations. It'd be slightly easier because you're not starting from scratch, and that's about all the differences. Dunno why there's so much hubbub surrounding the idea.
Other games have stuff like this, but since Smash is such a huge crossover, people get territorial and defensive about who should get in.

We see that using a model to save time was done with Chrom before at least. Dunno if anyone else would get that exact treatment, but hey, it's happened. I don't even think they'd pick an AT for this, but if they so felt the need, they could.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
This trailer makes me think even more that Sony isn’t opposed to crazy crossovers, even with their competitor’s character. The ball might be in Nintendo’s court when it comes to a Sony character in Smash.
Dunno... I think Sony might be okay with Fortnite because for all intents and purposes, it's a third party game that doesn't belong to a direct competitor - one that they've gotten **** for in the past (due to locking crossplay content). Might as well do it. But for a crossover belonging to Nintendo? I think that's a different beast entirely.

Also, I’d say it’s safe to say that Jonesy is a real character now & not just a default skin. Guess that argument can’t be used against him in Smash anymore.👀
Okay, but I can always just go straight to the point and say I don't want him in because I dislike Fortnite. :p

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
We see that using a model to save time was done with Chrom before at least. Dunno if anyone else would get that exact treatment, but hey, it's happened. I don't even think they'd pick an AT for this, but if they so felt the need, they could.
I think it's more likely that they'd use a Mii costume model as a base for a fighter. Costumes have fighter-worthy polycounts and shaders, ATs look flat in comparison.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
You know what feature would hace been great ? If you can import your minecraft skins (only officials like Mario or Master chief) as a costume alt for Steve. That would have give an endless potential for that character.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Joker, Hero (WW) and Banjo are definitely huge picks for the Nintendo fandom, but I wouldn't say they're household names (Sonic, Ryu, PAC MAN, etc). Same goes for Sephiroth even though FF7 is a huge pillar in gaming.
Ignoring the idea that Dragon Quest is obscure outside Japan, it's so surreal seeing Joker cited as a huge pick for the Nintendo fandom

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I'd argue Joker, Hero, Banjo and Sephiroth were pretty big bombshells too
If we are going back to base game, I would argue that Ridley, Simon, and K Rool were certainly bombshells. K Rool less so than the other two, but those two were huge hype additions.
Joker, Hero (WW) and Banjo are definitely huge picks for the Nintendo fandom, but I wouldn't say they're household names (Sonic, Ryu, PAC MAN, etc). Same goes for Sephiroth even though FF7 is a huge pillar in gaming.
Here's the thing, Smash broke the internet when they added a ****ing Piranha Plant. Smash can make a character that most people do not know about like Terry into a hype pick. Would I say Steve is the only household name globally? Yes, although DQ is a big deal in Japan. Would I say that means many additions were not huge? Absolutely not.

SKX31

Smash Master
You know it's dumb when not only were Min-Min and Pyra/Mythra were well-received, but it doesn't use Joker, Banjo, Steve and Sephiroth.

Also, obligatory Loki & Tony Stark reference:
Fortnite: "I have Kratos vs Master Chief vs Ryu vs Wolverine vs Batman vs John Wicke vs Lara Croft vs Terminator vs Alien vs Predator."
Smash Bros: "We have a Steve who broke Twitter and a Sephiroth who was recognised from the first two music notes."
Eh, can we just agree that while Smash's crossovers doesn't quite have the sheer namepower that Fortnite's crossovers have from a casual viewpoint overall; Smash's crossovers have been pretty strong on its own right?

Okay, but I can always just go straight to the point and say I don't want him in because I dislike Fortnite. :p
Okay, now I can't help but to imagine the biggest plot twist: You dislike it because it turns out you're a Garena Free Fire fan. :4pacman:

(FTR, I presume you're not, just joking around.)

You know what feature would hace been great ? If you can import your minecraft skins (only officials like Mario or Master chief) as a costume alt for Steve. That would have give an endless potential for that character.
I'm tempted to agree, but I can't help but to hesitate due to one small reason...

Creeper Sans Steve, or stupid stuff like NSFW Steve / Alex. Especially after they patched out Steve's meat.

Last edited:

PacificFun

Smash Ace
If we are going back to base game, I would argue that Ridley, Simon, and K Rool were certainly bombshells. K Rool less so than the other two, but those two were huge hype additions.

Here's the thing, Smash broke the internet when they added a ****ing Piranha Plant. Smash can make a character that most people do not know about like Terry into a hype pick. Would I say Steve is the only household name globally? Yes, although DQ is a big deal in Japan. Would I say that means many additions were not huge? Absolutely not.
Piranha Plant is an extremely iconic Mario character though. And the only Smash reveal that broke the internet was Sonic. Steve didn't break Twitter that day.

The "biggest" post launch reveal was either Daisy, Ken or Piranha Plant in terms of the general public.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
This talk about potential DLCs has got me thinking: Since memory space is gonna be an influence on how much new content we could get, how much more could Smash stuff into itself?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
So I guess the real question is, would Nintendo be willing to approach Sony? I remember someone said at least one of them still held a grudge against the other, but I can't remember which.

I just hope that if they DO decide to collab, it's with a character who would actually be interesting in Smash. Someone like Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, or Kat from Gravity Rush. Just... no overly-realistic characters, okay? I know those are what Sony is known for these days, but... no.
Sly Cooper or Kat wouldn't happen at all if by some miracle we get a Playstation character.

Ratchet & Clank? Maybe, but I kinda still doubt it even if I'd love it.

Also, I guess you're talking about the likes of Nathan Drake, Ellie, and more. I don't think Nintendo would pick those. Maybe Nathan. But I mean... I'm sure they would be interesting in Smash, even if you can't picture it.

Then there's Kratos who has a crazy moveset potential and who is probably likely than all of those combined except for Ratchet. The only hurdle against Kratos is that God of War is not popular in Japan, but the same goes for Master Chief and Halo and people believes Chief is the next in line for a Microsoft rep.

About your first question, I don't think Nintendo is going to approach Sony. Keep in mind that the bad blood between the two is probably no longer a thing because most of the key figures, if not all, of both companies back in the day are not longer working there or at least not in important positions. But that doesn't mean they're going to work together, so I don't know. I guess it would take some time for Nintendo to go like "hmm, what if we talk with Sony for a Smash character?". If you ask me, I don't think Sony would be completely against the idea, but I guess they would be kinda hard to work with or with very expensive demands in exchange of their characters in that scenario.
To be honest, I'd not be licensing my IPs for cheap as well in that scenario lol

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So honest question.

Do you think the Switch port of Miitopia is Nintendo's test to see whether the Mii brand is still profitable?
Maybe. Seems more like a mid-tier filler title to hold people over until a bigger name series has something to release. Then again, I never liked the Miis so I might not be the best judge for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom