• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otoad64

Smash Lord

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Well Knuckles is supposed to be in the 2nd Movie as well.

Now I guess it depends how large of a role Knuckles as. Maybe once they have the Knuckles trailer, they might call it Sonic the Hedgehog 2 & Knuckles as an update to the Title

But It seems the 2nd movie might focus on all of the Classic era things, if they are introducing Knuckles this early. We might even get Amy and Metal Sonic in here as well. If that's the case, then the 3rd movie might have more of a focus on the Modern Era characters, like Shadow, Rouge, Perhaps Chaos, etc

so I don't know if the 3rd movie would be Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles

Honestly at that point, I think our best bets would be Bandana Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, and Waluigi for 1st party

Like I know Kirby and Donkey Kong already have some substantial content (especially since DK got K.Rool this game, though I know about the lack of Modern Kirby content), and Mario especially already has alot of content in the game already, But If we going into the realm of Ayumi for potential characters, I think they should be considered options

I don't think the want to add new things to Smash will supercede over Potential characters like Bandana Dee and Dixie Kong, or especially Waluigi since we will know these characters will sell. Ayumi is a much harder sell to be honest as a DLC Character, even if she would bring in the more new stuff, simply because It's just now coming back as a franchise with these remasters

Fire Emblem keeps getting characters because it was already proven succcessful. ARMS and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 got characters because they were already successful. We don't see that with Famicom Detective Club, and it's even worse here since Visual Novel I would say isn't the most popular Genre (Not super niche, but it's not as widespread as RPG's, Plus even if you did want to go with Something like this, I think Golden Sun would be the better option since at least there's been some heavy demand for Isaac.

And Honestly, while I know ARMS, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and Final Fantasy 7 didn't have the most content, they still had content at the end of the day. Three houses was a new branch of Fire Emblem, but it was still Fire Emblem at the end of the day.
The main thing regarding "repeat" series is less the brand and more the content it comes with. Three Houses was a completely different setting, and featured content exclusively from that game. ARMS didn't have a fighter, a stage, or any songs, and XC2 was in the same boat as 3H. Final Fantasy 7 did have a fighter and a stage, but it also had a measly two Spirits and two songs, and the former was Fighter Spirits that lacked both a Spirit Battle and the original FF7 artwork. Nine Challenger's Packs have set the standard as being based on new content, rather than already-represented series.

And either way, the original question was who could push new Switch releases, and we haven't had new releases BWD, Dixie, and Waluigi would be strongly tied to in the last couple years. It's just that there aren't many recent releases that are still in the running, which is how we landed at Ayumi for that question. I will admit it's kind of a risky choice, but the guy asked me a question and that's the answer I came up with.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As I mentioned before, I think Sony's success was that they managed to appeal to a broad (especially older) gaming audience at just the right time. That best selling list demonstrates the major genres they suddenly were making significant releases in; 3D fighting games, action titles, mature JRPGs, realistic racers, and so on. They grabbed enough of platformer fans with Crash, but also scored the type of third party releases that weren't being released on Nintendo consoles (either due to the cartridge format or Nintendo's family friendly policies) and it paid dividends.

The deciding factor wasn't simply Crash Bandicoot or Final Fantasy VIi, but showing off a full array of different kind of games to a hungry consumer audience and announcing "Guess what? You can play all these kind of games and more" Nintendo couldn't say that, Sega couldn't say that, even much of the PC market couldn't.

Sony could. And that made all the difference.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
mascot doesn't mean best selling
but if you had to choose the more iconic franchise

Crash bandicoot or Final Fantasy

FF was the ps1's rise to dominance, FF is the reason we still have PlayStation today, Crash was a long for the ride but FF was the one that jumpstarted it.

Otoad64

Smash Lord

FF was the ps1's rise to dominance, FF is the reason we still have PlayStation today, Crash was a long for the ride but FF was the one that jumpstarted it.

it doesn't even matter who's more iconic

the mascot is whoever they use as the mascot.

Crash was in all the Playstation ads, that makes him the mascot

SharkLord

Smash Hero

It's not really about sales, though. It's about advertisement. Crash was the guy in the ads that Sony used to advertise the PlayStation, not Cloud or the Moogles or the Chocobos or any other Final Fantasy icons. If you're the one who shows up in the marketing a lot, you're the mascot, regardless of sales. You can be replaced as a mascot if someone ends up more successful, but that's reliant on the company. In this case, Crash stayed the mascot the whole way down for the first PlayStation's lifecycle, and that's why he's counted as the mascot for that console.

7NATOR

Smash Master
The main thing regarding "repeat" series is less the brand and more the content it comes with. Three Houses was a completely different setting, and featured content exclusively from that game. ARMS didn't have a fighter, a stage, or any songs, and XC2 was in the same boat as 3H. Final Fantasy 7 did have a fighter and a stage, but it also had a measly two Spirits and two songs, and the former was Fighter Spirits that lacked both a Spirit Battle and the original FF7 artwork. Nine Challenger's Packs have set the standard as being based on new content, rather than already-represented series.

And either way, the original question was who could push new Switch releases, and we haven't had new releases BWD, Dixie, and Waluigi would be strongly tied to in the last couple years. It's just that there aren't many recent releases that are still in the running, which is how we landed at Ayumi for that question. I will admit it's kind of a risky choice, but the guy asked me a question and that's the answer I came up with.
Oh I see. I didn't see Original Question

Well honestly, even then, There probably would be New Kirby and Donkey Kong coming soon to be honest. We don't know about it, but we didn't know much about Famicon Detective Club either as well until recently, or at least that it was coming overseas.

And Waluigi, could be tied to Mario Golf as well.

Anyway, no not all of the Challenger packs have been based on New content though. FF7 Didn't have much content, but was still content nevertheless. ARMS and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 didn't have Character or stage set to it's setting, but they did have some content in the game, including Mii's, Spirits, and for XC2, music

In this case it's adding Something new to something already there, but while the actual content is new, the place it's coming from isn't

And if we go with that, then Honestly I don't see why something like Kirby, or Sonic (I know it wasn't mentioned, but still) have that much less chance of getting any new content. Does Kirby and Sonic have more content than the franchises that were represented in FP2, yes it does. but they still have avenues to add more content, and more importantly, Alot of requests for More New content

If the people want more Sonic content, I don't see why we couldn't have more New sonic content. Same with Kirby, even the same with Mario and Donkey Kong, though in those cases, we did already get New characters, music, etc from those Franchises, so I could see in that case why it might not be as likely

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think I've just accepted that at the end of the day, the first party DLC emphasis was with new characters whether they be from fresh IP's (ARMS) or franchises with essentially fresh casts in the newest entries (Xenoblade & Fire Emblem). I'd love Impa, Dixie, Bandana Dee, and so on, but the cynical part of me is thinking that if Nintendo and/or Sakurai really wanted them in Smash, they would have been. Base game for the next entry is a whole other ballgame, but realistically I just have my doubts about this game now doing an about face when it comes to legacy Nintendo characters still not in as fighters.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Sorry to derail things, but there is something that I’ve wanted to bring up since Pyre/Mythra: how does everyone feel about “decade representation”?

Looking back at FP1, I noticed that the pass had a really good spread of characters. When looking at each character’s debut, we have:

Joker - 2016
DQ Heroes - 1988, 1990, 2004, 2017
Banjo - 1998, prominent in the early 2000s
Terry - 1991, prominent throughout the 90s
Byleth - 2019

That’s some solid variety. Every decade from 80s onward is accounted for. The pass does lean more towards recency with characters like Joker, Byleth, and the Luminary. But Banjo, Terry, and the other Heroes all manage to account for the other decades.
So far, FP2 has had considerably less variety:

Min Min - 2017
Steve - 2011, prominent throughout the 2010s
Sephiroth - 1997
Pyra/Mythra - 2017

There is clearly a lack of representation outside the 2010s. You could say that this pass is just “focusing on recency,” but it instead leads me to believe that we’re most likely done with characters that debuted past 2010. This makes characters like 2B, Dragonborn, Octoling, Akira Howard, Gen 8 Pokémon, etc. feel a bit less likely. Even characters that debuted in the late 2000s feel a little iffy.

If we were to get the best variety possible, then having the final two characters be prominent in the 80s-early 90s and 2000s would make the most sense...which is funny because...
F3CCD798-97A3-4FF5-A74F-5E5B11AA821A.png
7C9A33F2-0BB2-469E-AAD0-2B189926311C.png

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Sorry to derail things, but there is something that I’ve wanted to bring up since Pyre/Mythra: how does everyone feel about “decade representation”?

Looking back at FP1, I noticed that the pass had a really good spread of characters. When looking at each character’s debut, we have:

Joker - 2016
Byleth - 2019

That’s some solid variety. Every decade from 80s onward is accounted for. The pass does lean more towards recency with characters like Joker, Byleth, and the Luminary. But Banjo, Terry, and the other Heroes all manage to account for the other decades.

Min Min - 2017
Sephiroth - 1997
Pyra/Mythra - 2017

There is clearly a lack of representation outside the 2010s. You could say that this pass is just “focusing on recency,” but it instead leads me to believe that we’re most likely done with characters that debuted past 2010. This makes characters like 2B, Dragonborn, Octoling, Akira Howard, Gen 8 Pokémon, etc. feel a bit less likely. Even characters that debuted in the late 2000s feel a little iffy.

If we were to get the best variety possible, then having the final two characters be prominent in the 80s-early 90s and 2000s would make the most sense...which is funny because... View attachment 307422View attachment 307423
I'd say it's just the end result of Nintendo either going back for missed chances or tying up loose ends. Maybe we'll get more recent games, maybe they'll go for a more legacy-based pick. I don't think there's really a theme here, nor an intentional balance.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I'd say it's just the end result of Nintendo either going back for missed chances or tying up loose ends. Maybe we'll get more recent games, maybe they'll go for a more legacy-oriented pick.
I’m just wondering if this is something that Nintendo/Sakurai think about when selecting characters. FP1 did such a good job at having characters across all generations, and I’m curious if FP2 will do the same. That would make sense to me at least.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I’m just wondering if this is something that Nintendo/Sakurai think about when selecting characters. FP1 did such a good job at having characters across all generations, and I’m curious if FP2 will do the same. That would make sense to me at least.
Maybe, maybe not. Each character has their own different reasons for addition, and I feel like Nintendo would be more focused on the draw of the character rather than how old or recent they are.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Maybe, maybe not. Each character has their own different reasons for addition, and I feel like Nintendo would be more focused on the draw of the character rather than how old or recent they are.
That’s partly why this would make sense to me. If Nintendo wanted as much draw as possible, then it would make sense to appeal to as many generations as possible. If the Fighters Pass is flooded with characters that have only existed for <10 years, then they wouldn’t be getting the most broad appeal. I’d say it’s just as important as making sure we don’t have too many characters from one genre, console, or company.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Joker - 2016
Byleth - 2019

Min Min - 2017
Sephiroth - 1997
Pyra/Mythra - 2017

If we were to get the best variety possible, then having the final two characters be prominent in the 80s-early 90s and 2000s would make the most sense...which is funny because... View attachment 307422View attachment 307423
I hope so because my two most wanted characters are from the NES and SNES eras respectively (Battletoads and Magus). I’m not really expecting them but I think they would be awesome and unique additions that are never discussed (probably for good reason but still).

SharkLord

Smash Hero
That’s partly why this would make sense to me. If Nintendo wanted as much draw as possible, then it would make sense to appeal to as many generations as possible. If the Fighters Pass is flooded with characters that have only existed for <10 years, then they wouldn’t be getting the most broad appeal. I’d say it’s just as important as making sure we don’t have too many characters from one genre, console, or company.
I'm not sure how well that holds up, given that we got three JRPG characters in the first pass. It's also why I can't really get behind people saying that Nintendo wouldn't want to add another JRPG character after Pyra and Sephiroth, when they had no problem adding Byleth after Joker and Hero were already in the pass. As for the console thing, that's ultimately irrelevant because even if a game starts on one system, the series can easily go multiplatform later. I don't really think Nintendo cares about "balance" so much as just the games themselves.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I'm not sure how well that holds up, given that we got three JRPG characters in the first pass. It's also why I can't really get behind people saying that Nintendo wouldn't want to add another JRPG character after Pyra and Sephiroth, when they had no problem adding Byleth after Joker and Hero were already in the pass. As for the console thing, that's ultimately irrelevant because even if a game starts on one system, the series can easily go multiplatform later. I don't really think Nintendo cares about "balance" so much as just the games themselves.
Yeah, I thought about the JRPG thing. Granted, Persona, Dragon Quest, and Fire Emblem are wildly different series (JRPG is such a varied genre). Still, there was clearly more JRPG representation than most people would have anticipated.

Even then, we still ended up getting two characters from other genres. If FP1 was originally planned to be Joker, Hero, Byleth, Pyra, and Sephiroth, then I’m sure Nintendo would have given it a second thought. I feel like this is the type of thing that Nintendo pays attention to, and definitely something that Sakurai pays attention to. In regards to the recency vs. retro example, every game has it’s fair share of recent characters (Roy, Ike, Lucario, Robin, Rosalina, Incineroar, Byleth) as well as retro characters (Icies, Pit, R.O.B., Duck Hunt, K. Rool, Simon, Banjo).

Of course the games themselves are more important, but having a good mix of retro/recent characters is definitely something that Sakurai cares about as far as I can tell.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't really think Nintendo cares about "balance" so much as just the games themselves.
I think there's a lot of nuance to this. Like, yeah I do think another JRPG character can pop up, I think another character from the last decade could appear. But it's important to acknowledge the different audiences that those characters could provide, and whether or not they overlap heavily with a character we've already seen may genuinely impact the incentive to add them in the first place.

Like, let's use FP1 as a point of reference. We did get three RPG characters - but we also got a character from a flashy RPG from 2017, a character from a traditional legacy RPG dating as far back as the 80s, and a brand new Nintendo character from a tactical / strategy RPG. These characters all accomplish unique goals and I think you'd be hard-pressed to argue that Joker and Hero have that much overlap in appeal outside of their genre of origin. So yes, it's not always gonna be a factor, but in that sense it's also important to acknowledge how vastly different the games that appeared have been. And then we have a nostalgic platforming mascot and a fighting game icon. The latter two are characters that will generally appeal to an older demographic, but then you have characters like Joker and Byleth and a majority of FP2. You get the idea.

What am I saying with this? I may have tangented a bit and explained something everyone already knows, but my point is mostly that I don't think it's a bad thing to say that specific characters feel less likely because their bases have already been covered. DLC has valued variety thus far, even within its RPG representation.

Although a perspective I want to provide is that not everyone plays these games, and it would be unwise to continue to pile on characters from these games when I'd say it's pretty likely fans of the genre are satisfied by at least one of the five JRPG characters we've seen thus far. Meanwhile, we have underexplored or untapped bases that can appeal to new kinds of players and bring new eyes toward the game. It's not really a matter of "balance" or quota fulfillment but considering how to appeal to a wider spread of people. In this sense I think it's perfectly justified to acknowledge that say, we haven't had a "retro" sort of character in a while and that may be an untapped market.

It's of course possible that we get another JRPG swordie, but at that point I think criticism is valid and Nintendo is overplaying their hand a bit. Lots of different kinds of gamers starving for content from the games they like. I for one have found the value in a lot of these characters but am getting a bit worn at how little of my own tastes I've seen represented in this game.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So honest question.

Do you think the Switch port of Miitopia is Nintendo's test to see whether the Mii brand is still profitable?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
i think the whole "we need starter pokemon" thing should just die off i remember people wanted Blaziken then moved on to Sceptile then moved on to Decidueye then now moved on to Cinderance and Rillaboom how long are people gonna keep doing this?
Until we get a fully evolved Grass starter.

Personally, I hope Gen 9 gives us a Grass/Dark starter. So then we can have a Dark starter trio with Greninja and Incineroar.

If Pokemon gets another rep. I want it to be Cynthia w/ Spiritomb, Milotac, and Garchomp.
If Pokemon gets another rep, I want it to not eat up 3 character slots.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I hope Nintendo doesn't give a **** and just makes the entire pass and next pass JRPG characters. 😎
I know you're just kidding around but these sort of jokey spite posts always rub me the wrong way. It obviously has no chance of playing out that way, but as someone who's just holding out for something from a series or genre that I personally like playing, some from genres that are completely absent from the roster altogether, it always stings a bit to read stuff like this when I personally try and be open to anything and everything as it is.

Maybe I'm just jealous that fans of platformers and JRPGs get to eat hearty meals and my niche interests are always gonna get glossed over. In retrospect this was kind of a dumb post to make but I dunno, I guess I just wish I had the privilege to make jokes like that about all the excess content from a genre or series that I enjoy lol.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I know you're just kidding around but these sort of jokey spite posts always rub me the wrong way. It obviously has no chance of playing out that way, but as someone who's just holding out for something from a series or genre that I personally like playing, some from genres that are completely absent from the roster altogether, it always stings a bit to read stuff like this when I personally try and be open to anything and everything as it is.

Maybe I'm just jealous that fans of platformers and JRPGs get to eat hearty meals and my niche interests are always gonna get glossed over. In retrospect this was kind of a dumb post to make but I dunno, I guess I just wish I had the privilege to make jokes like that about all the excess content from a genre or series that I enjoy lol.
I'm with ya pal. Nothing felt more condescending than hearing someone say "I hope the fighters pass doesn't have Steve just to mess with the toxic fans" like smh what the hell did I do? (I'm not trying to pat myself on the back, I've been pretty unfair about things in the past but I like to hope I've grown from 2019).

Last edited:

venomthebest

Smash Apprentice
Quick question. Do we know if Pyra and Mythra have a known character used as the base for them? such as Link for the Hero and Zero Suit for Bayonetta.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Quick question. Do we know if Pyra and Mythra have a known character used as the base for them? such as Link for the Hero and Zero Suit for Bayonetta.
To my knowledge no

I believe the only character in Ultimate DLC we have evidence for their Base is Min Min, since we saw Falcon Kick animation with her datamine. The rest of the characters are just speculative

Hero and Link is very likely. Banjo and Ridley is also possible, but I don't think there was ever any confirmation Ridley was used as a base. that was just something Speculation community just ran with

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom