• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Numerous users told me that Twitter was having its own issues when Steve was revealed. So it gave the illusion that Steve broke Twitter.

Also, ****. He's been gone for that long...
Even if he didn’t break Twitter and those users are correct (though it really feels like Twitter’s issues were caused by a traffic surge after Steve was shown, since it was directly afterwards iirc), he may as well have as his reveal hit #1 on trending for a while, beating out the US presidential stuff that was going on 👀

Last edited:

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
Using the template so kindly provided by DevaAshera earlier, I made one for a Civ rep.
Originally I wanted to have the series' icon be an hourglass imposed over a compass rose, but I found myself too inept at logo design. Also I believe Tomyris, who is a Spirit here, would be an equally good fighter candidate.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I’d also say the Fortnite comparisons aren’t really fair since all the crossover characters are just guest appearances that don’t bring much of their original content with them beyond their appearance.

That said, despite no attachment to the character and no interest in ever playing fortnite, I’d actually be okay with seeing Jonesy. Fortnite is huge and a zoner with Steve builder abilities just sounds interesting to me.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Blame King Arthur and his sword in the stone. Also the samurai and ninja and their fancy katanas. Those are just the cool heroic weapons now; Axes are too brutish, spears aren't flashy enough, bows are suited for fancy melee combat, knives are for thieves and rogues, and staffs are generally given to monks, who often just settle for their bare hands instead.
That's my point. Simon's really unique in that regard that using a chain whip is his go-to.

Guess they could use Gullius Thunderbeard.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
Well, I am still wondering about that 91-before-crashing CSS thing. I think that may indeed be tied to the memory as the limit is still 91 to this day
I haven't played with ult's codebase so take with a grain of salt, but if it were a memory issue I would expect that number to change based on what the slots are filled with. e.g if you put empty portraits in place of all the character renders you could fit more in. My understanding was that it hard caps at 91 though (admittedly I haven't been keeping close tabs on the issue).

My guess would be it has something to do with the algorithm for placing character portraits: after 91 the game attempts to put someone off screen which crashes the game, or something like that.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Blame King Arthur and his sword in the stone. Also the samurai and ninja and their fancy katanas. Those are just the cool heroic weapons now; Axes are too brutish, spears aren't flashy enough, bows are suited for fancy melee combat, knives are for thieves and rogues, and staffs are generally given to monks, who often just settle for their bare hands instead.
But we don't have any samurais and only one katana! We have more bows and hammers! It's not like there aren't options for other weapons too. Dynasty Warriors has plenty of spear guys to pick from, and there's also BWD. We got lots of Viking setting games that have Axe users not to mention Fire Emblem itself. Just because there are a lot of sword boys in gaming doesn't mean there aren't still tons of valid other options to pick from.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
It's a shame the Grim Reaper has a monopoly on the scythe, it's a cool weapon that should see more use. Spinel from Steven Universe is really the only non-death character I can think of who uses one, and that was for all of 30 seconds.
Spinel Spins Around Her Scythe GIF by nanthedark | Gfycat

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Smash isn’t complete until Mario vs Sonic vs Crash vs Banjo becomes a reality
To be honest, I have trouble coming up with some Likely Echoes

Most of the Potential echoes I see people throwing out, Likely wouldn't get in anyway as echoes since either

-They would probably get in as their own characters, since they have the merits to (Shadow, Dixie, Maybe Tom Nook and Octoling)
-Their Base character aren't in yet, so it's hard to judge (Coco)
-They Could just be alts (Dry Bowser, Gooigi)
-They might not have the merits to be in as an Echo

the best 4 I came up with were

-Mrs. Pac-Man
-Jeanne
-Ninten
-Black Shadow

Mrs. Pac-Man has rights issues, but they might have also been sorted out since then. Also to be honest she also could just be an alt as well, though if you want to have the experience of Mrs. Pac-Man, you could make her Faster, but perhaps more vulnerable, to match how her game was Faster, but harder as well

Jeanne has been passed up in Ultimate as well. Maybe if Bayonetta 3 actually starts existing and she has a major role in it, then perhaps she could be Echo instead of just a Recolor this time

Ninten was the OG Protagonist, so that's something to consider. Nintendo has also been showing love to Earthbound it seems in some aspects, but unsure on this one

Black Shadow is a weird case, since I know alot of the requests for him come down to Having Ganondorf's old moveset when Ganondorf gets that new moveset, if that day every comes. I'm unsure if that would count as an echo or what though

But I honestly have trouble thinking about who would be a Realistic Echo. I think there is a good reason why there were only 5 New Echoes in Ultimate, and why there were none in DLC
What’s the whole right issue regarding Ms. pac-man? She is already present in the pac land stage so I don’t see the problem

Pillow

Smash Lord
It's a shame the Grim Reaper has a monopoly on the scythe, it's a cool weapon that should see more use. Spinel from Steven Universe is really the only non-death character I can think of who uses one, and that was for all of 30 seconds.
In terms of ones that actually have a plausible chance for Smash (however small), the only one that comes to mind is Magus from Chrono Trigger.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It's a shame the Grim Reaper has a monopoly on the scythe, it's a cool weapon that should see more use...

Spinel's really the only non-death character I can think of who uses one.
There's Zasalamel from Soul Calibur, Prometheus from Mega Man ZX and kind of Ragna from BlazBlue.

Granted, Ragna's name is "The Bloodedge" so that's pretty edgy. But he is the main character of his series.

That extremely subjective. I could easily just say that Ryu Hayabusa is all that's needed for that dank Mario vs Mega Man vs Simon vs Hayabusa NES Deathmatch.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
  • DLC characters need to be more complex
:ultbanjokazooie::ultbyleth:

If anything the complex argument would work in Crash's favor, since one could say: "FP2 has had a ton of complex characters, so we need some more simple ones if Banjo and Byleth from the last pass are any indicator."

Geno Boost

Smash Master
There's Zasalamel from Soul Calibur, Prometheus from Mega Man ZX and kind of Ragna from BlazBlue.

Granted, Ragna's name is "The Bloodedge" so that's pretty edgy. But he is the main character of his series.

That extremely subjective. I could easily just say that Ryu Hayabusa is all that's needed for that dank Mario vs Mega Man vs Simon vs Hayabusa NES Deathmatch.
Having both would be the best option :p

7NATOR

Smash Master

What’s the whole right issue regarding Ms. pac-man? She is already present in the pac land stage so I don’t see the problem
I'm not too familiar with the situation. I think it has to do with the Manufactures of the actual Mrs. PAC-MAN machines and how they hold some part of the rights, and that Bamco doesn't own all of it

Her appearance in Pac land is so small that I don't think it was that noteworthy in Negotiations. It's telling that she isn't even a Spirit in the game

There's also Goku Black who used it for like One attack just because he could. Along with the other mentioned characters in the thread

Edit: There's also Dante and Ryu who have had Scythes as well

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Someone should play Under Night and pick Gordeau

Pillow

Smash Lord

Ragna's is more of a sword I think. It looks kinda like Cloud's.

Having both would be the best option :p
Best option is Gex and Shy Guy don't @ me

7NATOR

Smash Master
Someone should play Under Night and pick Gordeau
Isn't Gordeau associated with Death though? I'm not too familiar with the Under Night lore. I just know he says Grim Reaper for one of his attacks (which is the one in the Gif) so I'm assuming he's associated with Death

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Ragna's is a sword that can also be a scythe
Oh gosh I totally forgot. I never touched that character. You're right.

...we'll get Sol over him anyway

Scythes eh?

no way she’d come before KOS-MOS buuuuuttt...

KOS-MOS uses like every weapon so she's kinda cheating for this discussion

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Scythes eh?

no way she’d come before KOS-MOS buuuuuttt...

Didn't KOS-MOS Steal her Scythe in Project X Zone 2? I think in that case, if they did add in KOS-MOS in Smash, they could give her Scythe attacks

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Didn't KOS-MOS Steal her Scythe in Project X Zone 2? I think in that case, if they did add in KOS-MOS in Smash, they could give her Scythe attacks
I think there's a certain fantasy that comes with specializing in a weapon rather than just using it. Byleth uses an axe, halberd, and bow yet because he uses a mix people are still hungry for a primary axe wielder or primary bow wielder.

IIRC Zero (Megaman) also uses a Scythe at some point? But nobody would really call him a Scythe wielder.

What if that someone enjoys having friends?
Then you play Wagner instead.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Also Dante is able to use Sparda as a scythe

Not that he'd use Sparda anyway

Isn't Gordeau associated with Death though? I'm not too familiar with the Under Night lore. I just know he says Grim Reaper for one of his attacks (which is the one in the Gif) so I'm assuming he's associated with Death
Nah he has nothing to do with Death.
He just calls it Grim Reaper because it's a cool name for one of the grimiest fighting game moves

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
How is it not? Development resources are finite. How is it not a waste to spend them on inferior characters when superior options exist?
Because what defines an “inferior” character? What makes one option better than the other? There is clear subjectivity in most cases to the point where unless your Corrin nothing can really be called a waste of resources.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Because what defines an “inferior” character? What makes one option better than the other? There is clear subjectivity in most cases to the point where unless your Corrin nothing can really be called a waste of resources.
That and, Sakurai/Nintendo have the final say in who gets in and who doesn’t.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Is there anyone left supporting earthworm jim for smash? I remember in the past he used to have supporters.

he has a support thread, very few characters have literally nobody supporting them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom