• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't view it as taboo, I just view it as getting ahead of ourselves is all. We still got two characters to go, meanwhile, god knows how long we even have until Smash 6. It feels like we're discussing things soo far out in advance that we lose sight of what's in front of us right now is all. We're preparing for a hurricane next year when an earthquake is tomorrow. :drshrug:
This threads deviates to conversations about games that aren't even Smash and rarely has people trying to course correct. At least this is Smash related.

I don't think you have to worry about conversation eventually returning to and largely revolving around the next two characters.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I say they should totally capitalize on this formula, and make many Echoes. The Fire Emblem Echoes play very different from their counterparts, if only due to how the swords work.
I think it would depend. Getting a ton of Marth/Roy Echos while missing out on another unique newcomer probably wouldn't fit well with anybody even if the characters are popular. On the other hand, getting a unique Fire Emblem newcomer alongside an Echo to that character would probably be more favourable.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Come back after seeing Schaffrillas Productions video annnnd....

Yeah, it's pretty good, and while I don't feel as much dislike about Corrin, outside of gameplay I wouldn't exactly complain if they were cut in future game. Well, if there is another game after Ultimate.

Tho honestly, the one thing I agree 100% with the video is that BYLETH "HOES MAD" SQUAD SUCK AND IT ALWAYS DID.

ONLY HERO HOES MAD WAS FUNNY AND I FEEL GREAT THAT MY DUMB OPINION IS SHARED WITH OTHER FOLKS.
dance game & watch.gif

But yeah outside of that, I got nothing to add to whatever topic is going on.

Sooo, have a good day here.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Perhaps, but that hardly matters when the game itself will only be relevant for a short time as is.
Every character has their fans and cuts tend to need to happen, so removing a portion of no longer relevant characters is the better than not including new characters.
Like Corrin has fans but I feel like her removal for a newer character isn't the worst, just like when we lost Roy and he was essentially replaced by Ike, a newer, more relevant character..or in Mario Kart when Donkey Kong Jr and Koopa were replaced by the more relevant Donkey Kong (DKC) and Wario.
Well obviously every character has their fans, but that's not really what I'm getting at here

What I'm saying is that "relevancy" should not be a be-all end-all for which characters stay or not. Funny you bring up Corrin because they perfectly exemplify what I mentioned about how easy it is for roster choices to feel dated when you're only looking at what's new

This whole deal about cutting the old for the new came about when you mentioned that Ike would be a reasonable cut for something newer, which I disagree with, because some characters are important regardless of generation.

People ****ing love Ike. And he's one of the very few lords with more than one non-remake game to himself. I think what people are misinterpreting me on is that I'm not saying we should keep every older character because everyone has their fans or whatever. What I'm saying is that if you have this super popular character standing right here, and they're a main character, and they have a unique playstyle and relative seniority, then yeah, I think cutting them because there's this other character from a new game that has to be represented just because it's new - even if that character isn't half as beloved as the older character - would be dumb.

If the new character is legitimately better than the older one - for example, imagine Byleth replacing Corrin - then by all means, but yeeting such a beloved character just because this other one is newer - and therefore, apparently more important - is, in my humble opinion, what our greatest philosophers would call "peepee poopoo fart".

Honestly, like in general, I just feel like the "ok but is this in a new game or not" mindset would make Smash no fun. That ain't how you get the likes of Pit or K. Rool. IMO, crossover fighting games are at their best when you have the older or more obscure characters in there as well - the niche picks, the weirdos, the ensemble darkhorses, the revivals, that's the **** I live for, and if the crux of the roster was "new game or no new game?", then things would be, in my opinion, dreadfully boring.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Okay, so to pump the brakes on our millionth FE discussion, how excited would you be if Crash was in base game alongside the Belmonts?
I would have been delighted and have Crash as one of my casual mains against 7 CPUs, especially now, when my interest in Crash has resparked (for lack of a better term).

Speaking of Crash, what alts should he have? I'm gonna list mine (with the assumption that Coco won't be one of them):

Normal
Mother Clucker
Living Fossil
Crate Crusher 9000
Fake Crash
Serious Upgrade
The Floater
The Classic

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
If I was in charge of the roster I would have 1-2 characters to represent each Era of Fire Emblem. I would also do the same with Pokemon

This is why I'm not in charge of anything.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
On one hand you're right. It makes sense. On the other hand playing it "safe" and just doing what makes sense is boring.

In all seriousness, Smash creates success stories. Fire Emblem itself probably wouldn't have the role it does in the modern Nintendo landscape had it not been for the introduction of Marth / Roy and Ike all those years ago (in the west, at least). Ness was thrown into Smash 64 just cuz and Earthbound has become a beloved cult classic with a dedicated and thriving community. Kid Icarus had a full-on revival because of the response to pit in Brawl, etc etc. Smash does an excellent job at showing people why they should care about these guys.

Certainly some people would be put off by the inclusion of a series that has yet to prove itself in the long run, but it wouldn't be the first time. I'd rather them take a risk on something like that and bring in something fresh and new rather than the same song and dance all over again - regardless of how unique Byleth is relative to the rest of the FE crew. And in the process of playing it safe it ironically got them a lot more backlash than Ring Fit Trainee / Dragaux or Officer Howard likely would have (not that it matters, they're making money anyway and all those suckers already bought the pass).
Off-topic, but I feel bad for the Rhythm Heaven fans considering that, despite a character being planned for Smash 4, the franchise still has no characters. Shame considering how interesting they could have been.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
On one hand you're right. It makes sense. On the other hand playing it "safe" and just doing what makes sense is boring.

In all seriousness, Smash creates success stories. Fire Emblem itself probably wouldn't have the role it does in the modern Nintendo landscape had it not been for the introduction of Marth / Roy and Ike all those years ago (in the west, at least). Ness was thrown into Smash 64 just cuz and Earthbound has become a beloved cult classic with a dedicated and thriving community. Kid Icarus had a full-on revival because of the response to pit in Brawl, etc etc. Smash does an excellent job at showing people why they should care about these guys.

Certainly some people would be put off by the inclusion of a series that has yet to prove itself in the long run, but it wouldn't be the first time. I'd rather them take a risk on something like that and bring in something fresh and new rather than the same song and dance all over again - regardless of how unique Byleth is relative to the rest of the FE crew. And in the process of playing it safe it ironically got them a lot more backlash than Ring Fit Trainee / Dragaux or Officer Howard likely would have (not that it matters, they're making money anyway and all those suckers already bought the pass).
Which is usually what the Base Game is for, honestly, DLC tends to go for popular characters, games, or veterans..characters people would be more willing to spend money on just for that character.
I mean, the most obscure DLC characters were Lucas, Bayonetta, Terry, & Min Min thus far and they aren't that obscure..
Well obviously every character has their fans, but that's not really what I'm getting at here

What I'm saying is that "relevancy" should not be a be-all end-all for which characters stay or not. Funny you bring up Corrin because they perfectly exemplify what I mentioned about how easy it is for roster choices to feel dated when you're only looking at what's new

This whole deal about cutting the old for the new came about when you mentioned that Ike would be a reasonable cut for something newer, which I disagree with, because some characters are important regardless of generation.

People ****ing love Ike. And he's one of the very few lords with more than one non-remake game to himself. I think what people are misinterpreting me on is that I'm not saying we should keep every older character because everyone has their fans or whatever. What I'm saying is that if you have this super popular character standing right here, and they're a main character, and they have a unique playstyle and relative seniority, then yeah, I think cutting them because there's this other character from a new game that has to be represented just because it's new - even if that character isn't half as beloved as the older character - would be dumb.

If the new character is legitimately better than the older one - for example, imagine Byleth replacing Corrin - then by all means, but yeeting such a beloved character just because this other one is newer - and therefore, apparently more important - is, in my humble opinion, what our greatest philosophers would call "peepee poopoo fart".

Honestly, like in general, I just feel like the "ok but is this in a new game or not" mindset would make Smash no fun. That ain't how you get the likes of Pit or K. Rool. IMO, crossover fighting games are at their best when you have the older or more obscure characters in there as well - the niche picks, the weirdos, the ensemble darkhorses, the revivals, that's the **** I live for, and if the crux of the roster was "new game or no new game?", then things would be, in my opinion, dreadfully boring.
I said I'd opt to keep Ike, but he isn't relevant and is less unique than other non-clone FE reps..so, from my view, it'd be down to the less interesting moveset but more popular Ike and the more interesting moveset but less popular Corrin. My bias towards female characters over male characters would make me choose Corrin, personally, but I'd try to keep Ike as well or have him return as DLC like Roy did.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Off-topic, but I feel bad for the Rhythm Heaven fans considering that, despite a character being planned for Smash 4, the franchise still has no characters. Shame considering how interesting they could have been.
You're talking to one right now - so that might explain my stance on this a little more clearly LOL

Not enough push for the representation of different Nintendo IPs (unless you're Isaac) relative to the droves of requests for additional DK, Kirby, Zelda etc content. People want to talk underrepresentation, let's talk about the various Nintendo series that never got a chance to begin with.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Which is usually what the Base Game is for, honestly, DLC tends to go for popular characters, games, or veterans..characters people would be more willing to spend money on just for that character.
I mean, the most obscure DLC characters were Lucas, Bayonetta, Terry, & Min Min thus far and they aren't that obscure..
Lucas was in Brawl so he was familiar to Smash audience.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Random thought:

How well would it go over if a fighter had a guessing game for a future fighter at the same time? A semi-dual reveal, so like if Hero was revealed at the same time it was announced that a fighter from (Insert series here) would be coming in the future. Heck, it could even be announced before the next fighter. Something to keep in the back out our minds while we wait. Would that go over better than the ARMS guessing game since it's somewhere later down the line and there's other fighters coming soon, or would it just drag out for an obnoxiously long time?

...Yeah, probably the latter.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Random thought:

How well would it go over if a fighter had a guessing game for a future fighter at the same time? A semi-dual reveal, so like if Hero was revealed at the same time it was announced that a fighter from (Insert series here) would be coming in the future. Heck, it could even be announced before the next fighter. Something to keep in the back out our minds while we wait. Would that go over better than the ARMS guessing game since it's somewhere later down the line and there's other fighters coming soon, or would it just drag out for an obnoxiously long time?

I'd just have most people being right after 2 weeks while we wait 3 months to the answer, no thanks.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I do too, and the series at large since it's been without a new entry for a while now..
If I had to guess, Sakurai likely couldn't figure out how to incorporate Rhythm into a frantic fighting moveset, as I could see him trying to make hitting opponents to the beat cause more damage, which would be difficult in a frantic game like Smash..it should have at least gotten a stage & more music though..
Lucas was in Brawl so he was familiar to Smash audience.
I know, which is why I said they weren't that obscure.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I do too, and the series at large since it's been without a new entry for a while now..
If I had to guess, Sakurai likely couldn't figure out how to incorporate Rhythm into a frantic fighting moveset, as I could see him trying to make hitting opponents to the beat cause more damage, which would be difficult in a frantic game like Smash..it should have at least gotten a stage & more music though..

I know, which is why I said they weren't that obscure.
Does Tsunku own the rights to RH music? If so they’d probably need to negotiate with him

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You guys. Always so eager to stop talking about cuts like it's gonna make them not happen, lol. I was happy we were actually having a legitimate conversation about a potentially pretty impactful aspect of the series without the typical bemoaning about it. But all good things come to an end, I guess. :p

Okay, so to pump the brakes on our millionth FE and cut discussion, how excited would you be if Crash was in Ultimate's base game alongside the Belmonts?
Less excited than I'd be to see him now since back then there were a lot more characters I wanted over him but now most of them are deconfirmed so of the remaining options he's among those I'd rather see.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Random thought:

In the unlikely event that more DLC exists, it'd be so hilarious if they go like "yo a future character is from [insert series]" and then CP11 ends up not being from that series and that's how they announce there is more lol.

7NATOR

Smash Master
The only thing I add to the Fire Emblem Discussion is I think Lyn should be added at some point. She continues to be one if, if not the Most Popular Fire Emblem character (along with Ike). She shouldn't be stuck in the Globe forever

I think why they intially missed the cut was because of Technical difficulties

If it was really Chorus Kids that were planned, than I imagine just like the Ice Climbers, the 3DS was what killed them i the end, but I also think it's possible that the Rhythm gimmick they definitely would have had might have been really hard to work with

We see that returning the Ice Climbers in even Smash Ultimate was hard work, given Sakurai's comments in the Pyra/Mythra presentation. Though I think the last game in the series had a more potential character (Tibby) in the series that could represent without multiple characters. there was also Karate Joe, but there may have been a reason Chorus Kids were chosen before him for Smash 4. in any case, Base Roster was tight in the amount of Newcomers and It's understandable why Rhythm Heaven wasn't revisted

I think if it's any consolation to the Rhythm Heaven fans, they have the most spirits of any Non Playable franchise in the game, along with Golden Sun, So I think there was some thought into the franchise. However since the last game came out in 2015, and I've seen nothing to suggest it will return anytime soon, they might get the Isaac treatment from now on

SKX31

Smash Master
To the people speaking to the great groundswell for fairly unpopular characters: which characters do you imagine would be the least requested to return upon being cut? Not not popular, least popular.
Honestly, I do believe that even characters like Corrin could make a return in a future Smash title. While (s)he's one of the likliest targets for cuts due to his / her status being completely around the promotional angle and the ensuing reaction being mostly negative, the character continues to be used by Intelligent System (in FE Heroes I believe?) and if characters like Roy can be slightly revamped and sold as DLC, so can a character like Corrin.

Random thought:

The latter absolutely.

Especially if it was lets say a LoL guessing game or a Pokemon guessing game. Doubly especially since Riot / Tencent and TPC would most likely take advantage and market the **** out of a guessing game.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
You guys. Always so eager to stop talking about cuts like it's gonna make them not happen, lol. I was happy we were actually having a legitimate conversation about a potentially pretty impactful aspect of the series without the typical bemoaning about it. But all good things come to an end, I guess. :p
Look, sometimes you just wanna shout "HORSE!!!!" for all to hear. You shouldn't shame people for that...

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Come back after seeing Schaffrillas Productions video annnnd....

Yeah, it's pretty good, and while I don't feel as much dislike about Corrin, outside of gameplay I wouldn't exactly complain if they were cut in future game. Well, if there is another game after Ultimate.

Tho honestly, the one thing I agree 100% with the video is that BYLETH "HOES MAD" SQUAD SUCK AND IT ALWAYS DID.

ONLY HERO HOES MAD WAS FUNNY AND I FEEL GREAT THAT MY DUMB OPINION IS SHARED WITH OTHER FOLKS.
View attachment 306572
But yeah outside of that, I got nothing to add to whatever topic is going on.

Sooo, have a good day here.
I came back from watching this, myself.

Kind of clickbait in the sense he only justified the concept of FE's representation, not so much the execution. He actually has a good point, Fire Emblem probably could have the amount of reps it has were the scope of the representation not awful. That was basically always the problem at the core of it, timing.

But I also wonder how much these different universes within the same franchise need that much attention. He brought up Kirby as one of the universal protagonist franchises with its main character requirement, but there nonetheless remains a chunk of that franchise missing with that in mind.

I rather liked it otherwise.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
My gut feeling is that Sakurai tried making a Rhythm Heaven fighter based around timing/rhythm and realized it wasn't very fun or functional so they just scrapped the whole thing and never looked back.
My guess is Sakurai timetravelled and played Blazblue Cross Tag Battle and tried out Azrael for 5 minutes before realing "Holy **** this is actually the worst" and blacklisted Rhythm Heaven since.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
On the contrary, it makes each game in a series more worth playing. Keep the most popular characters, cut the least popular, and add new characters. Do you think every fighting game series except Smash is made with an awful mindset?
The thing is:

1. Smash and the likes of SF and MK....can't really be compared in terms of characters, starting with the fact that one of them is a crossover game and the others aren't

2. My argument wasn't meant to be "you can't cut any character for a newer one because they have their fans". I defo understand how I could have come across that way - prolly should have added a bit more clarification to my OG post - but my point was moreso that it'd be dumb if a character had pretty much every reason to stay, except that they're not in a new game, so oh **** guess we gotta yeet them and make way for the hot new character even if the older one was better. Like, imagine if they cut Captain Falcon just cause F-Zero hasn't had a new game in a while.

So uh, there, hope I made myself a bit clearer now. This is probably my last post on this, Internet arguing makes me tired

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Honestly though, I also never really payed attention to the fact that Terry was SNK's Mascot to be honest.
He wasn't.
To quote Schaffrillas Productions, Corrin is the Shrek the Third of Fire Emblem characters.
See, I'd agree with this, but thinking it through, it does make sense.

It is really risky to bet on an all new original IP like that when it could easily bomb and be forgotten about. Like imagine if Sakurai caught wind of Wonderful 101's development back when planning Smash 4's roster in early 2012 and decided to put in Wonder Red as a fighter...only for his game to come out and completely bomb, it'd be really awkward. It's obvious that they want new IPs to properly "prove" themselves before giving them Smash rights. And FP2 was probably decided on before either AC or RFA came out and proved themselves.

Thus, it's a safer bet to include a character from an already established and popular franchise like Fire Emblem for promotional purposes.
If people weren't dead set on keeping every fighter forever, it'd be fun to get weird stuff like Wonder Red.
Okay, so to pump the brakes on our millionth FE and cut discussion, how excited would you be if Crash was in Ultimate's base game alongside the Belmonts?
I don't care about Crash besides Mang0 wanting him.
Random thought:

It sounds fun to me.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Not that excited..I have no nostalgia for Crash, not big on his design, and I felt like all of his relevance was due to remakes of the only games most fans liked. Now that Crash 4 is out, I like him a bit more as it's no longer due to nostalgia for older games' remakes.

If Crash somehow comes with a Coco alt, I'll be more excited since I love playing as her in the remakes.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
You're talking to one right now - so that might explain my stance on this a little more clearly LOL

Not enough push for the representation of different Nintendo IPs (unless you're Isaac) relative to the droves of requests for additional DK, Kirby, Zelda etc content. People want to talk underrepresentation, let's talk about the various Nintendo series that never got a chance to begin with.
I feel like the fact that Isaac got as much support as he did and still ended up being rejected of a playable role (in the same direct that just added the 9th/10th Mario and Pokemon characters no less), kinda crushed the hopes of a lot of the fans of the inactive 1st Party series.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I’d love a Black Knight echo for Ike. It’d give FE a villain, more visual uniqueness, presumably a super heavyweight, and Black Knight is also just a really cool character. I think they would be the best choice for a new FE Rep.

Thats my contribution to the FE discussion. Cut talk is a more negative business so its nice to be more upbeat.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
To the people speaking to the great groundswell for fairly unpopular characters: which characters do you imagine would be the least requested to return upon being cut? Not not popular, least popular.
I can't imagine Duck Hunt would be particularly highly requested. Nobody really plays them, and other retros would likely take priority in both the roster and requests.

I also think Rosalina has potential to fall behind, but she could also be really popular because of Galaxy nostalgia.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
My gut feeling is that Sakurai tried making a Rhythm Heaven fighter based around timing/rhythm and realized it wasn't very fun or functional so they just scrapped the whole thing and never looked back.
This is probably right, but in that case it feels pretty ****ty that a series / character you really love was just deemed not important enough to fight for.

Sakurai has went back on plenty of ideas and made them fun and functional. I don't think many Rhythm Heaven fans would complain if a central rhythm mechanic was swapped out with attacks moreso inspired by music and quirky minigame fare, but here we are I suppose.

I feel like the fact that Isaac got as much support as he did and still ended up being rejected of a playable role (in the same direct that just added the 9th/10th Mario and Pokemon characters no less), kinda crushed the hopes of a lot of the fans of the inactive 1st Party series.
My hopes for Rhythm Heaven are all but dead after they missed out on base roster too, Isaac didn't have much to do with that though. The landscape has just changed and discussions for those kind of series don't make a whole lot of sense anymore. But for what it's worth, the situation was still very Isaac-skewed before that with some RH expectations from last game (the fanbase was a lot quieter) and many other series rarely campaigned for or suggested.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'd wonder how the hell it happened. There wasn't an overwhelming amount of people thinking Crash NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDS to be in Smash during the ballot era.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
My guess is Sakurai timetravelled and played Blazblue Cross Tag Battle and tried out Azrael for 5 minutes before realing "Holy **** this is actually the worst" and blacklisted Rhythm Heaven since.
playing Blazblue Crosstag does terrible things to a man

Yeah for this character I imagine he started with the moveset concept and worked backwards. But a rhythm game character doesn’t need such a gimmicky moveset. Sakurai has shown recently with Pyra/Mythra that if he wants a character from a game in Smash badly enough he’ll just move forward with a different concept.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Happy for his fans. Wouldn’t care much myself though. It would mean he was already in the game and DLC Speculation would be a little more interesting so that’d be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom