• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't think we can really discuss cuts properly when Smash 6 is almost certainly at least 5+ years down the road. Cuts are something that require Nintendo's current environment and media plans to really have good theories for, and who knows what the heck's gonna happen by Smash 6.
It's true, although I don't think it's so bad to determine which characters are a bit more expendable. Like, I don't think Corrin will be starring in a new Fire Emblem game anytime soon and I'm not sure anything is going to change that will make Dr. Mario that much higher of a priority next time around, for example.

And seeing how this wild ride is slowly coming to a stop, it's natural to consider where we can go from here and acknowledge the unlikelihood of maintaining this crazy roster for, as Sakurai has implied, a once in a lifetime game. Not that anyone is suggesting they know all the answers anyway, or that things aren't susceptible to change.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Something that's also significant is that the development of the next Smash will likely be shaped by Nintendo's overall direction and business moves within the next couple of years. Ultimate felt partially formed by the desire to have a standout game for the company's big comeback system. It makes it all the harder to figure out what form it would take because the nature of Nintendo's future is just as much guesswork.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I haven't done anything other than be pretty general in my predictions about future cuts, as I can't dispute its distance makes it nebulous.

The only things I've posited are that derivative characters and third-parties are groups more likely to face cuts, and that FE will likely not retain its entire roster should there be cuts. I wouldn't be able to reach conclusions on specific characters past seeming more or less likely to get axed, but I do stand by those general sentiments.

Shroob

Sup?
It's true, although I don't think it's so bad to determine which characters are a bit more expendable. Like, I don't think Corrin will be starring in a new Fire Emblem game anytime soon and I'm not sure anything is going to change that will make Dr. Mario that much higher of a priority next time around, for example.

And seeing how this wild ride is slowly coming to a stop, it's natural to consider where we can go from here and acknowledge the unlikelihood of maintaining this crazy roster for, as Sakurai has implied, a once in a lifetime game. Not that anyone is suggesting they know all the answers anyway, or that things aren't susceptible to change.
Would make sense though for cut discussion to be in its own thread though, tbh. This thread's the DLC discussion, and while it does tend to veer off topic to discussing other games at times, more often than not, that usually ties into discussing their chances in Smash, perhaps not always, but a lot of the time.

Cuts are inevitable going forward, but I dunno, weird place to discuss them is all. When I come to this thread, I wanna drown myself in dumb theories and speculation, not look 5-6 years down the line at the next entry. :drshrug:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Its not likely to happen given that the more intense minded Smash speculation scene never dies as much as it just goes into hibernation, but it would be nice to see Sakurai get the chance to talk about games he's played and liked after Ultimate's done. He stopped doing it as a result of everyone thinking they were a clue to the next character, but just hearing his thoughts on a major titles he's gotten the chance to play would satisfying after all the time he's clearly put into Ultimate.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Would make sense though for cut discussion to be in its own thread though, tbh. This thread's the DLC discussion, and while it does tend to veer off topic to discussing other games at times, more often than not, that usually ties into discussing their chances in Smash, perhaps not always, but a lot of the time.

Cuts are inevitable going forward, but I dunno, weird place to discuss them is all. When I come to this thread, I wanna drown myself in dumb theories and speculation, not look 5-6 years down the line at the next entry. :drshrug:
Dumb theories huh? Okay, lets steer this beautiful disaster of a thread into that direction:

FP10 will be A) Japanese and B) Cyberpunk. How do I know? This theme and the fact that the Triforce might be based upon the Hojo clan's symbol:

:4pacman:

Oh

guess what tonight is

Probably the Pythra-inclusive tourney tbh
Why do I think of Monty Python every time I see Pythra?

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
If they went for a reboot, they need to re-thinks the basis of smash gameplay. I imagine a roster like this:

:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultyoshi::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultmarth::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultdiddy::ultwario::ultolimar::ultkingdedede::ultsonic::ultlucario::ultwolf::ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultrosalina::ultrobin::ultpalutena::ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultbayonetta::ultinkling::ultridley::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultbanjokazooie::ultbyleth::ultsteve::ultpyra::ultminmin

45 fighters; 12 from 64, 6 from Melee, 9 from Brawl, 8 (+1 DLC) from 4 and 4 (+5 DLC) from Ultimate

If it stretches to 50 add:ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultduckhunt::ultsimon:

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
.....anyway, since it's been awhile since the Geno Band-Aid's been ripped off, mind if I drop a personal hot take?

One of the arguments I saw a lot in favor of why Square would let Geno be in Smash over any of their other characters was "Because it'd make Square look good."

.....am I crazy, or is this argument silly?

7NATOR

Smash Master
Oh

guess what tonight is

Probably the Pythra-inclusive tourney tbh
I think this tourney could be important for Speculation, depending on what the tourney actually is

I'm expecting either Sword Based Tourney or Fire (and maybe Light) themed tourney for today.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'm gonna repost my reboot roster, because I belive it has the absolute bare minimum veterans that Smash needs.
reboot Roster2.png
(Falcon and Ness are spared, because while their series are insignificant, they're almost mascots to Smash as a series)

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
.....anyway, since it's been awhile since the Geno Band-Aid's been ripped off, mind if I drop a personal hot take?

One of the arguments I saw a lot in favor of why Square would let Geno be in Smash over any of their other characters was "Because it'd make Square look good."

Its more then silly. Its dumb

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Alright why’s Smashboards slow as hell again today???

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
I think that primarily comes down to Nintendo playing the odds. With base game, they can include stuff before they know if it was a success, but with DLC, it's much harder to tell if it'll succeed or bomb, this is probably why Inklings weren't considered for DLC last game but Corrin was. Fire Emblem is practically guaranteed to be a success, new IPs are not.

This is part of why they always save a spot for a new Pokémon in base, because that series prints money, and why I don't think a spot was saved for Rex/Pyra base game or first round of DLC, at that stage they hadn't been aware XBC2 was going to be a success but were pretty sure Three Houses was going to be..and then it became the best selling game in the entire series, making Byleth's inclusion make even more sense.

Sorry, but Byleth was a good decision, Sakurai was the one making bad decisions by incorporating so many Marth clones...Marth became the Ryu of Smash like that..
Splatoon is pretty much the one exception. Nintendo knew they had a hit on their hands, as seen when they announced amiibo before the game even came out. I'm fairly sure Sakurai would have had the time and resources to add playable Inklings in Smash 4, but held off on it because they needed a new franchise to debut with the new game that was already being planned.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I'm gonna repost my reboot roster, because I belive it has the absolute bare minimum veterans that Smash needs.
(Falcon and Ness are spared, because while their series are insignificant, they're almost mascots to Smash as a series)
I think Diddy should be higher priority than K. Rool

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I'd like to see them try "No-One Is Back" and have a 12 new man (8 default, 4 unlockable) roster. Go all Pokemon Black and White on us. Returning franchises are fine but the fighters themselves have to be new additions. Right down to them being numbered 83 to 95, acknowledging all the previous fighters.

...the idea would fall apart the moment Pokemon company demands Pikachu back or when the Mario Brand Committee vehemently refuse to let Waluigi in but it's a novel approach to think about.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I'd like to see them try "No-One Is Back" and have a 12 new man (8 default, 4 unlockable) roster. Go all Pokemon Black and White on us. Returning franchises are fine but the fighters themselves have to be new additions. Right down to them being numbered 83 to 95, acknowledging all the previous fighters.

...the idea would fall apart the moment Pokemon company demands Pikachu back or when the Mario Brand Committee vehemently refuse to let Waluigi in but it's a novel approach to think about.
I had a similar idea where everyone is cut except the original 12 and the rest are newcomers

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
well guess i'll repost my own.

:ultmario: :ultluigi: :ultpeach: :ultbowser: :ultyoshi: :ultwario: :ultlink: :ultzelda: :ultganondorf: :ultpikachu:
:ultmewtwo: :ultcharizard: :ultgreninja: :ultlucario: :ultjigglypuff: :ultdk: :ultdiddy: :ultkrool: :ultsamus: :ultridley:
:ultkirby: :ultkingdedede: :ultmetaknight: :ultfox: :ultness: :ultfalcon: :ultmarth: :ultrobin: :ultbylethf: :ultgnw:
:ultpit: :ultrob: :ultolimar: :ultvillager: :ultisabelle: :ultshulk: :ultpyra: :ultduckhunt: :ultinkling: :ultminmin

:ultbayonetta: :ultsonic: :ultpacman: :ultsteve: :ulthero: :ultryu: :ultmegaman: :ultcloud:

(this is just the veteran side)

i think this is a balanced roster.

maybe feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master

Seems to be tournament about changing of apperance, or Transformations

Edit: This includes alts and stuff, not just mechanical changes

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

I don't think it's necessarily silly but it is weak. Yeah there'd be some good will involved with allowing such a character to appear but the same could said for allowing any of their characters to appear.

D

Deleted member

Going the opposite direction of Ultimate actually sounds like an interesting idea.

What would you call it though? Smash Shadow? Smash Resurge?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Seems to be tournament about changing of apperance, or Transformations

Edit: This includes alts and stuff, not just mechanical changes
[Tournament event] "Hyakka Ryouran! Fighters in various shapes" will be held for 3 days from 3/12 (Friday)! This is a tournament where only fighters who can transform themselves by changing colors, become different people, or change the shape of what they are wearing can participate. The more you win, the more luxurious spirits you get. #Smash Bros SP

Shroob

Sup?
[Tournament event] "Hyakka Ryouran! Fighters in various shapes" will be held for 3 days from 3/12 (Friday)! This is a tournament where only fighters who can transform themselves by changing colors, become different people, or change the shape of what they are wearing can participate. The more you win, the more luxurious spirits you get. #Smash Bros SP
You heard it here, peeps. No fighter going forward will have an alternate costume. :4pacman:

/s but maybe not?

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Most conservative roster I could muster, more or less:

Nintendo:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser:
:ultyoshi:
:ultwario:
:ultdk::ultdiddy:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:
:ultsamus:
:ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight: (Waffled a bit on Meta Knight but eh I'll give it to him)
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:(Falco and Wolf get fan-favorite privilege)
:ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer:(:ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard:):ultlucario:
:ultness:(Fan favorite)
:ultfalcon:(Fan favorite)
:ultmarth::ultroy::ultike::ultrobin::ultlucina:/:ultchrom::ultbyleth: (I was surprised how important most of these guys seemed. Marth Ike and Byleth are obvious, Marth's clones are easy to add and popular, and Robin is highly unique. Literally just Corrin got axed lul
:ultpit:
:ultolimar:
:ultvillager::ultisabelle: (Y'all sleep on Isabelle - she'd warrant a slot even if she was fully unique)
:ultshulk::ultpyra:
:ultinkling:
:ultminmin (Not really Min Min specifically, but arms should have someone anyway)

Third Parties:
:ultsonic:
:ultmegaman:
:ultpacman:
:ultsnake:
:ultryu::ultken: (Ken is easy enough and very recognizable)
:ultcloud::ultsephiroth:(If Nintendo can actually get them again...)
:ultsimon::ultrichter:
:ultjoker:
:ulthero3:(See Cloud and Sephiroth)
:ultbanjokazooie: (Fan favorite)
:ultsteve:

So 55 characters, 51 excluding echos. Could maybe lose :ultrobin::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultolimar::ultminmin:ultjoker::ultpyra:, could maybe keep :ultridley::ultkrool::ultpalutena::ultrosalina:.

Feel free to fight me below :4pacman:

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
You heard it here, peeps. No fighter going forward will have an alternate costume. :4pacman:

/s but maybe not?
It could be implied, and if it did imply that Pyra/Mythra were the last characters added that will have Alts, It would impact Ryu Hayabusa, as I Imagine he'd have both his NES and Modern Look

With that being said, Ryu might just come with one look, perhaps Either just NES or Modern, or perhaps a composite design of both Eras

Along with that, I'm not sure this tournament would be that serious in implying such conclusions anyway.

And honestly, I think the fact that opted for this tournament, and not the Sword based tourney, is better for characters like Ryu. We've had 2 Characters that are known for Being Sword based (One having one of most Iconic swords, and the Other 2 being literal Blades), and yet no Sword based tourney. We could still see it in the Coming weeks and Month(s), but I think honestly this tourney might not impact Speculation much

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
It could be implied, and if it did imply that Pyra/Mythra were the last characters added that will have Alts, It would impact Ryu Hayabusa, as I Imagine he'd have both his NES and Modern Look
I think the tournament meant about character that actually transform (Squid form, Phantom Thief attire, Sothis powered up, and probably Cappy posession (considering that it uses wedding Mario means that it relate to Oddyssey)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Nintendo:
:ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight: (Waffled a bit on Meta Knight but eh I'll give it to him)
:ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer:(:ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard:):ultlucario:
:ultmarth::ultroy::ultike::ultrobin::ultlucina:/:ultchrom::ultbyleth: (I was surprised how important most of these guys seemed. Marth Ike and Byleth are obvious, Marth's clones are easy to add and popular, and Robin is highly unique. Literally just Corrin got axed lul
:ultvillager::ultisabelle: (Y'all sleep on Isabelle - she'd warrant a slot even if she was fully unique)
:ultminmin (Not really Min Min specifically, but arms should have someone anyway)

Third Parties:

So 55 characters, 51 excluding echos. Could maybe lose :ultrobin::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultolimar::ultminmin:ultjoker::ultpyra:, could maybe keep :ultridley::ultkrool::ultpalutena::ultrosalina:.

Honestly I’m... actually ok with this

Keep the ones you’re thinking of keeping tho. While I don’t HATE any of the characters, I care about Dark Pit and Piranha Plant the least so not surprised they went

why’s Arusu the default Hero tho

only objection - NO TERRY. KOF inspired Smash so at least he should stay
Have you ever seen an image that calls you out super hard, but it's true?

Fake, one of those Crash’s should be Hayabusa :secretkpop:

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly I’m... actually ok with this

Keep the ones you’re thinking of keeping tho. While I don’t HATE any of the characters, I care about Dark Pit and Piranha Plant the least so not surprised they went

why’s Arusu the default Hero tho

only objection - NO TERRY. KOF inspired Smash so at least he should stay

Fake, one of those Crash’s should be Hayabusa :secretkpop:
Let's not kid ourselves.

If it wasn't for "DRAGON QUEST 11S BUY IT NOW ON NINTENDO SWITCH!", Erdrick WOULD be the main Hero alt. He's THE Hero that every damn game and anime parodies or wants to be when they reference or take inspiration from Dragon Quest.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Nintendo:

Third Parties:

Essential?
:ultsamus::ultridley:
:ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight:
:ultfox:
:ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultmewtwo::ultlucario:
:ultfalcon:
:ultness:
:ultmarth::ultike::ultchrom::ultbyleth:(too blue)
:ultvillager::ultisabelle:
:ultshulk:
You could make the argument for Mii... but I don't want to, lol.

There you go. 38 characters. I await the dissent, especially over the third-parties.

And just keep in mind I cut both my mains so I'm not being biased here.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
I think this tourney could be important for Speculation, depending on what the tourney actually is

I'm expecting either Sword Based Tourney or Fire (and maybe Light) themed tourney for today.
Well, since Fire is also a form of Light, maybe it could be a tourney involving all types of light sources and light-like elements (such as holiness, fire, electricity, and nuclear energy (such as supernovae))?

Otoad64

Smash Lord

Nintendo:

Third Parties:

I think there might be a bit too many Fire Emblem characters

guess I'll repost my conservative roster too
40 char Roster.png

imo besides maybe R.O.B and Little Mac this is pretty much the bare minimum

Technomage

Smash Champion

Personally, the only way I think that would seriously happen is if they make 12 original characters.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Essential Roster:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus:
Smash Bros. NES Edition!

And for Smash SNES Edition?

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus: + :ultkirby::ultfox::ultfalcon: (F-Zero was mainstream then.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom