• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
JRPG's are in an interesting place where they've stayed active while especially within the context of Nintendo have gotten bigger in the last 15 years. and its created a scenario where there's both a consistent boom of new players via gateway titles like Pokémon while also steadily adding to the ever growing mountain of JRPG titles whose innovations can so often be lost in the glut of releases in the genre. This is especially an issue when getting access to old legacy titles can be tricky (no 8 bit or 16 bit mainline Final Fantasies on Switch to name one example) and the sheer time involved in playing one makes it much harder to understand how groundbreaking certain ones are or how their take on the genre's conventions differs it from others.

Compare that with something like platformer games which even in the indie era aren't as high profile as they were 25 years ago, and thus the notable ones in the last quarter century are very specifically cited and remembered by fans and critics, especially because most aren't heavy time sinks to finish.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
People wanted a Xenoblade character since early ultimate speculation days, that was 3 years ago.

Finally we were heard and thats good. :)

BTW I know that now there are no more reliable leaks but at Sakurai’s last presentation, he mentions that they first thought of putting first Rex with Pyra/Mythra and if you remember that 40 name character list, it mentions Rex. Moreover, it also mentions Arthur and we got a mii costume of him. Maybe it was a simple coincidence (List:https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/8/0/3/AAe0kDAAA_Lz.jpg). If we take out already confirmed fighters, mii costumes and from that same companies, we got a list of 18 characters left:

1) Bandana Waddle Dee (Nintendo)
2) Bill Rizer (Konami)
3) Captain Toad (Nintendo)
4) Doom Slayer (Bethesda)
5) Flynn (Sega)
6) Jibanyan (Level-5)
7) Lana (??)
8) Linkle (Nintendo/Koei-Tecmo)
9) Lloyd (Namco-Bandai)
10) Porky (Nintendo)
11) Professor Layton (Level-5)
12) Rayman (Ubisoft)
13) Ryu Hayabusa (Koei-Tecmo)
14) Shantae (WayFoward)
15) Spyro (Activision-Blizzard)
16) Crash Bandicoot (Activision-Blizzard)
17) Quote (Nicalis)
18) Yuri (Namco-Bandai)

So from this list, which ones do you want as the final 2? I don’t have too much faith in these leak but its possible to suggest that during these past years Nintendo talked with a lot of companies about putting their characters in smash (Bethesda confirms that) and they make a list of possible candidates from each company. They showed Sakurai the list and he chooses the candidates, then negotiations proceed.
Doom Guy and Porky.
Probably some of the more unique characters to get. Was Vault Boy in FP2 or 1? Cause if its FP2 I can throw Doom Guy with my Konami wants as “barely deconfirmed but still deconfirmed”

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Doom Guy and Porky.
Probably some of the more unique characters to get. Was Vault Boy in FP2 or 1? Cause if its FP2 I can throw him with my Konami wants as “barely deconfirmed but still deconfirmed”
The second one, I can easily remember that because Miss Click, a youtuber, was the only one who realized it was about Fallout when showing off Mario, which is ironic considering how a bunch of chuds felt about her being super excited about Byleth and how she was a fake gamer

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Crash Bandicoot is fighter 10 or he's not in Smash and I know you didn't include him on the list but I could potentially see Sora being Fighter 11. Since you haven't though, I'll just have to go with Sgt. Cortez.

Time to Split

View attachment 306153
One thing I'm unironically going to miss once the last two fighters are revealed is the daily dose of Sgt. Cortez in my life. He's like an annoying band whose songs keep getting stuck in your head until you eventually find yourself buying their T-shirts.

I'm rooting for you, Evil Trapezium, you mad ba***rd.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
People wanted a Xenoblade character since early ultimate speculation days, that was 3 years ago.

BTW I know that now there are no more reliable leaks but at Sakurai’s last presentation, he mentions that they first thought of putting first Rex with Pyra/Mythra and if you remember that 40 name character list, it mentions Rex. Moreover, it also mentions Arthur and we got a mii costume of him. Maybe it was a simple coincidence (List:https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/8/0/3/AAe0kDAAA_Lz.jpg). If we take out already confirmed fighters, mii costumes and from that same companies, we got a list of 18 characters left:

2) Bill Rizer (Konami)
5) Flynn (Sega)
6) Jibanyan (Level-5)
7) Lana (??)
9) Lloyd (Namco-Bandai)
10) Porky (Nintendo)
12) Rayman (Ubisoft)
14) Shantae (WayFoward)
17) Quote (Nicalis)
18) Yuri (Namco-Bandai)

So from this list, which ones do you want as the final 2? I don’t have too much faith in these leak but its possible to suggest that during these past years Nintendo talked with a lot of companies about putting their characters in smash (Bethesda confirms that) and they make a list of possible candidates from each company. They showed Sakurai the list and he chooses the candidates, then negotiations proceed.
Bandana Dee and Captain Toad FTW!

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace

2) Bill Rizer (Konami)
5) Flynn (Sega)
6) Jibanyan (Level-5)
7) Lana (??)
9) Lloyd (Namco-Bandai)
10) Porky (Nintendo)
12) Rayman (Ubisoft)
14) Shantae (WayFoward)
17) Quote (Nicalis)
18) Yuri (Namco-Bandai)

Crash and Ryu Hayabusa.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
uhh, so even though i've asked this question a few times i still don't know who the seven squares are soooooo..... anyone care to enlighten me?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
LM3 doesn't have a spirit event either...

maybe they just forgot?
I will never back down from this: Introducing the new Poltergust G-00 was SSBU's way of promoting LM3.

Unless Nintendo somehow thinks that's not enough. Then I will back down from that.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
uhh, so even though i've asked this question a few times i still don't know who the seven squares are soooooo..... anyone care to enlighten me?
Known leaker Vergeben had a list of who Square might be getting, Square was throwing around fake names to try and find leakers. Those 7 were:

Lumimary
Erdrick
Slime
Sora
Sephiroth
Crono
Geno

Funny enough, only 2 are completely absent in Smash now.
King Boo is cool though...
What is King Boo? Nothing but a miserable little promoted mook. But enough talk, have at you!
TXsib6B.gif

kylexv

Smash Master
At this point, I see one of two different scenarios happening in terms of the last two fighters:

• FP10 is revealed and released in June and is a big name, while FP11 is revealed and released in the Fall and is someone less big.
  • FP10 and FP11 are both revealed in June in a final Smash Bros. Direct. One of these characters will be a big name. FP10 will release in the Summer while FP11 will release in the Fall.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
It will be telling to see if Crash, Hayabusa, or both will the heavily speculated fighters simply didn't get in even after so many predictions for them. I think every Smash hype cycle always has that set of characters that almost feel inevitable and yet when its over, they simply never show up. And given that so many other heavy hitters have gradually gone by the wayside for most in speculation for one reason or another (Further Square Enix & Microsoft characters due to their companies already getting in the second pass, characters getting spirited or Mii costumed, etc) they and a few assorted Sega figures (Eggman, Arle) feel like they're the last prominent dominos left to fall this year.
.....my boy................

.......you still live in my heart.......

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
One thing I'm unironically going to miss once the last two fighters are revealed is the daily dose of Sgt. Cortez in my life. He's like an annoying band whose songs keep getting stuck in your head until you eventually find yourself buying their T-shirts.

I'm rooting for you, Evil Trapezium, you mad ba***rd.
To play into your analogy, at this point, Cortez is to me like one of those awesome songs that get stuck in your head, but you only remember two seconds and your brain is stuck looping them over and over.

Like, I have the feeling that if I played TimeSplitters today and loved it, the one thing that would stick with me would still be "Time to Split!".

Sgt. Cortez pretty much memed his way into my subconscious and I can't escape it.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So, people don't have problem with the many Mario character (you can include Yoshi, Wario and Donkey Kong if you want but mostly Super Mario Bros. character that hasn't yet branched path)?
As mentioned, people do, but I think unlike something like Pokemon or Fire Emblem, any Mario character that gets in is not seen as getting in due to "Shilling" but due to stuff like popularity and such

So If a character like Waluigi, Geno, Toad and/or Captain Toad got in, it was because they are popular characters that people wanted most likely

Meanwhile, especially with Pokemon, It's usually seen that only Pokemon for Newer Generations can get in, There doesn't seem to be as much fan input in choosing the Pokemon and that's a shame. If it were allowed that just any Popular Pokemon could be in and it wasn't just seen as advertsing a Particular Generation and/or Obligation, than I imagine people would take more kindly to Pokemon

Fire Emblem is also kind of like this, though Chrom is an Example of the fans wanting him in

.....my boy................

.......you still live in my heart.......
As a Fellow Shadow fan, I say to keep your head up about this. Shadow is NOT Dead

People Parroted around the Shadow Echo Idea so much and made it seem like it was inevitable, That when he got shown as an Assist Trophy, they got so burned that people just never looked in Shadow's direction again (though the Assist Trophy thing also is a big factor too). Since then Shadow has been parroted around as a Dead character in Speculation.

Him becoming an Assist Trophy in that final Direct (On my Birthday no less) was very salt inducing, but I think it was also the best situation because it did show that Shadow as an echo wasn't meant to be

I think from Many people who believed he would be an Echo getting burned, the idea that Something most of happened at Sega to prevent this, or that Shadow really isn't a priority has been an idea that's been parroted around, When I think that's not the case

There's a reason that I've still been predicting Shadow even after the whole Base game Hype days. It's because I legit think he still has a very Realizable shot, if you look at all the merits he has, and all the arguments people make against him being in Smash Ultimate as of right now as counter arguments that do make Logical sense.

I'm talking about

-Shadow being an Assist
-Shadow not being an Echo in the base game
-Shadow having to contend with Tails and Eggman

These are the main 3 arguments I'd say, but all of them have counter arguments, with evidence from the Game itself (Bomberman being an example of the Assist thing), as well as various statements and other info

Now I don't know how you feel about Assist Trophies deconfirming, but if you don't think they deconfirm I will say to have a little more hope in Shadow getting in

Shroob

Sup?
At this point, I see one of two different scenarios happening in terms of the last two fighters:

• FP10 is revealed and released in June and is a big name, while FP11 is revealed and released in the Fall and is someone less big.
  • FP10 and FP11 are both revealed in June in a final Smash Bros. Direct. One of these characters will be a big name. FP10 will release in the Summer while FP11 will release in the Fall.
I seriously have to wonder about a "Final Smash Presentation!" to be honest, because would that not imply that both characters would get their movesets shown off? Final Smash Presentation would imply that there's no further Sakurai Presents past that point and all.

I could see a dual reveal in June sure, but I still think they'd each get their own, separate videos.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I seriously have to wonder about a "Final Smash Presentation!" to be honest, because would that not imply that both characters would get their movesets shown off? Final Smash Presentation would imply that there's no further Sakurai Presents past that point and all.

I could see a dual reveal in June sure, but I still think they'd each get their own, separate videos.
i mean theyre both done by now are they not? just release them at separate times, like with smash 4

Shroob

Sup?
i mean theyre both done by now are they not? just release them at separate times, like with smash 4
Are they? I can see CP10 being close to finalized considering a June release, but I seriously don't know about CP11 at this point, especially if they're not planned to drop until some time in September-ish.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
If FP2 really is the end of the road, then it's surreal thinking that we'll probably know who everyone is by the end of summer.

I still remember like it was yesterday the "Drought" between the ARMs guessing game and June.
I'd honestly say the time between Min Min and Steve was worse, largely because it was a dearth of news on top of Nintendo reveals in generally drying up around that time. The infamous backlash against the first two Partner Showcases demonstrates just how fed up people eventually got by that point.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Are they? I can see CP10 being close to finalized considering a June release, but I seriously don't know about CP11 at this point, especially if they're not planned to drop until some time in September-ish.
i thought it was known that characters were worked on in threes...

Know how we speculated on what characters we might get based on glitch theory?

Seems to be happening again this time with Dark Pit.

From the Ryu Hayabusa thread.

RETROROTER RETROROTER if you may explain.
ah **** here we go again...

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I still feel like Nintendo may want to drag this out as long as they can. Speculation IS free advertisement after all, and revealing the final two characters at the same time like that would completely put an end to all Smash roster hype/speculation in one go.

Revealing one character in the summer time, and then revealing the last one in fall would keep people talking about Smash for a little while longer, and I feel like Nintendo would prefer that. Otherwise all people would have to speculate about after this summer is when the last newcomer releases and how they play.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I still feel like Nintendo may want to drag this out as long as they can. Speculation IS free advertisement after all, and revealing the final two characters at the same time like that would completely put an end to all Smash roster hype/speculation in one go.

Revealing one character in the summer time, and then revealing the last one in fall would keep people talking about Smash for a little while longer, and I feel like Nintendo would prefer that.
Moreover it occurs just late enough for Nintendo to generally promote both completed Fighter's Passes (perhaps a bundle of both) the closer the year gets to the holiday season.

7NATOR

Smash Master

Sakurai did say that he had 2 Opportunities to do the Sakurai presents, So that does make me doubt a Final Smash direct that has everything presented in it

What I could see is Sakurai presents that come out right after this Final Smash Presentation for both of the characters, but the Final Smash Presentation is the thing that intially reveals all the New content coming

Sakurai Presents really go heavy in presenting the character. It would take over an hour for both CP10 and CP11 to be presented to the style of the other DLC.

Also if this Final Smash Presentation does exists, I do wonder if it would be a separate broadcast to a Nintendo direct, or it would be tied to the Direct like the Official reveal of Smash Ultimate was

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
2) Bill Rizer (Konami)
5) Flynn (Sega)
6) Jibanyan (Level-5)
7) Lana (??)
9) Lloyd (Namco-Bandai)
10) Porky (Nintendo)
12) Rayman (Ubisoft)
14) Shantae (WayFoward)
17) Quote (Nicalis)
18) Yuri (Namco-Bandai)

So from this list, which ones do you want as the final 2?
2) Bill Rizer (Konami)

Ivander

Smash Legend
Know how we speculated on what characters we might get based on glitch theory?

Seems to be happening again this time with Dark Pit.

From the Ryu Hayabusa thread.

RETROROTER RETROROTER if you may explain.
I saw the theory with Ryu's bow, but as sorta mentioned, considering it's Dark Pit and not Pit, doesn't that imply that it uses Dark Pit's more limited control with his bow rather than just a bow in general?

That said, if glitch theory is still going, what's going to be the theme? Duel swords? Bows? A Projectile of some kind?
ah **** here we go again...
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I dunno how accurate glitch theory is because I don’t think anything ever came from Ness and I don’t think anything point to Sephiroth or Pyra/Mythra but it’s interesting at the least. Then again I’m not going to jump the gun and say this is in any way associated with Hayabusa because it could mean nothing or it could mean there’s another character that’s associated with a Bow that’s not Hayabusa coming out.

Glitch theory is a weird theory all around because unless there was evidence pointing towards Min Min, Steve, Sephiroth, AND Pyra then that’s great but if not then it is very random and very selective which seems weird.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I saw the theory with Ryu's bow, but as sorta mentioned, considering it's Dark Pit and not Pit, doesn't that imply that it uses Dark Pit's more limited control with his bow rather than just a bow in general?

That said, if glitch theory is still going, what's going to be the theme? Duel swords? Bows? A Projectile of some kind?

There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on.
meh. after Steve came out there was the Daisy glitch with the skirt. I doubt that was for Sephiroth or Pyra/Mythra. i could see the ness thing for Steve cause of the flint properties acting like PK Fire, but yeah

Ivander

Smash Legend
I dunno how accurate glitch theory is because I don’t think anything ever came from Ness and I don’t think anything point to Sephiroth or Pyra/Mythra but it’s interesting at the least. Then again I’m not going to jump the gun and say this is in any way associated with Hayabusa because it could mean nothing or it could mean there’s another character that’s associated with a Bow that’s not Hayabusa coming out.

Glitch theory is a weird theory all around because unless there was evidence pointing towards Min Min, Steve, Sephiroth, AND Pyra then that’s great but if not then it is very random and very selective which seems weird.
Didn't somebody post something about which characters were glitched before which characters were added and supposedly, Ice Climbers was glitched?

I don't know if they were mentioned before or after, but I think they were brought up because Sakurai briefly talked about Rex and Pyra/Mythra being on the same battlefield, but it was as hard as doing the Ice Climbers so that idea was scrapped, implying at one point, Rex and Pyra/Mythra were on the same battlefield.

But that said, I thought someone put up a list of characters who were glitched before which characters were released and the only one who didn't have a character connected was Sephiroth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom