• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
At this point, how many of your most wanteds do you think have a solid chance?
My only truly, actively wanted character is Waluigi, with everyone else ranging from "oh cool" to "whatever" to "i'd rather not."
At this point, I don't believe that he is out of the running. It's hard to feel inclined to bank on the Assist Trophy rule in a game that has pulled one over on its players again and again. Suddenly, Ridley wasn't too big, and it didn't matter that Min-Min already was a Spirit. Sakurai didn't even hint at Spring Man's AT being the reason they chose Min-Min over him. If Min-Min - and Pyra and Mythra - can exist alongside their Spirits, not to mention two Marios and three Links existing at the same time, then I see no reason Waluigi cannot exist as a fighter as well as an AT. Or they could just, you know, remove the AT.

Nintendo hasn't exactly been blind to popular demand in a good chunk of their DLC picks, so I have a hard time believing that the post-Waluigi AT reveal uproar (which Reggie acknowledged twice) adds nothing to his chances. It took a year or so before the fighters for FP2 were decided, if I'm not mistaken, and they could very well have changed their minds in that time as a result.

Do I think that he's coming, with utmost certainty? Not really. But I don't share the belief that he's out, donezo, finito. I guess you could say that I think he has a chance, albeit not a solid one.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
We already have a character from a shooter, called Inkling.

Technically we had another before that, called Duck Hunt.

There are a lot of different kinds of shooters. But characters don't get in based on genre or sub-genre.

I don't think they'd be in any rush to add Contra as part of the roster.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
None, but Arle isn't a complete lost cause so I have a tiny bit of hope left.

Chun-Li and Morrigan took a massive hit yesterday and there's no way Nintendo is going to bother promoting Rhythm Heaven right now. My hangup with Arle is just my doubt that there's enough room for a character like her in the remaining two spots, and feeling like Hayabusa fulfills the "small-ish legacy third party" a little better (yeah, Arle is big in Japan, but I don't think that's enough to say she's a 'big' reveal).

Since right now my expectations are "third party who is big in the west" and "lesser known third party that Sakurai can school us on" with a variable for one more random first party character. It really is hard to hold onto hope when there's so little space left, things do feel kind of dire. But I feel like accepting this now and getting proven wrong later is a lot better than deluding myself until the end.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord

There are a lot of different kinds of shooters. But characters don't get in based on genre or sub-genre.

And here I thought that Splatoon was in the same genre as Mario Paint.

Yeah, characters aren't chosen for the genres they represent, but it's still nice to see a wide variety of representation. I personally think it's a shame we have so many characters but so many prominent genres are missing entirely like FPS's and rhythm games.

None, but Arle isn't a complete lost cause so I have a tiny bit of hope left.
I know Puyo Puyo is a separate thing, but I hope she comes with a Tetris stage if she makes it in.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

My top 10 most wanted characters are:
  • Crash
  • Phoenix
  • Doomguy
  • Monokuma
  • Agumon
  • Master Chief
  • Kratos
  • Crypto
  • Nightmare
  • Bill Rizer
Out of all those, I think Crash and Phoenix have the most realistic shot. Yes, I still think Phoenix is likely because well let's say that he is CP10 or CP11, Nintendo and Capcom would have negotiated for multiple Capcom characters as Mii costumes, but Capcom asked that the MH costumes and Arthur be pushed earlier to CP9 to coincide with MH Rise and GnG Resurrection. I think that is a likely scenario. As for Crash, his merits have been stated many times so I won't go there.

The only other characters that have a decent shot are Agumon, Nightmare, and Bill Rizer. I could see any of these being the E3 or even the "underwhelming" last pick. Digimon, Soul Calibur, and Contra certainly have their merits and the first two have gone through a sort of surge in popularity in recent years. Bill Rizer I still say is likely because Konami has got nothing since base game and if Arthur's costume is anything to go by, Nintendo is still looking to represent more NES series. Yes Arthur only has a costume and spirit, but that is beside the point and people have been speculating Hayabusa, another NES icon, too.

I don't see the others having a realistic chance honestly. Danganronpa shockingly is still not on the Switch. I personally subscribe to the idea that third parties will not get multiple characters in the same pass, so I don't think Master Chief is happening, even if he is the type of character that would break this fan rule. I don't see Nintendo approaching Sony for a character, Crypto is too niche (Hopefully the teased sequel will be on the Switch so people can try out the games), and Doomguy got deconfirmed in an interview.
To be honest, I don't feel comfortable saying any character has a "solid" chance. Like, FP2 alone has thrown SO MANY CURVEBALLS at us, and it's not even done yet!

The closest I can say is Euden for reasons I've stated in the past, but even then I will acknowledge that he DOES have some hurdles to overcome...

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I know Puyo Puyo is a separate thing, but I hope she comes with a Tetris stage if she makes it in.
A Tetris stage would be nice in general, but I'd feel very cheated if that came at the expense of a full stage for her own series like every other character got. Puyo has a lot to offer on its own. Depending on what direction they wanted to take the stage though, maybe there's some room for a Tetris variant toggled by pressing another button or something.

Lyncario

Smash Ace

• Crash
  • Phoenix
  • Doomguy
  • Monokuma
  • Agumon
  • Master Chief
  • Kratos
  • Crypto
  • Nightmare
  • Bill Rizer
Out of all those, I think Crash and Phoenix have the most realistic shot. Yes, I still think Phoenix is likely because well let's say that he is CP10 or CP11, Nintendo and Capcom would have negotiated for multiple Capcom characters as Mii costumes, but Capcom asked that the MH costumes and Arthur be pushed earlier to CP9 to coincide with MH Rise and GnG Resurrection. I think that is a likely scenario. As for Crash, his merits have been stated many times so I won't go there.

The only other characters that have a decent shot are Agumon, Nightmare, and Bill Rizer. I could see any of these being the E3 or even the "underwhelming" last pick. Digimon, Soul Calibur, and Contra certainly have their merits and the first two have gone through a sort of surge in popularity in recent years. Bill Rizer I still say is likely because Konami has got nothing since base game and if Arthur's costume is anything to go by, Nintendo is still looking to represent more NES series. Yes Arthur only has a costume and spirit, but that is beside the point and people have been speculating Hayabusa, another NES icon, too.

I don't see the others having a realistic chance honestly. Danganronpa shockingly is still not on the Switch. I personally subscribe to the idea that third parties will not get multiple characters in the same pass, so I don't think Master Chief is happening, even if he is the type of character that would break this fan rule. I don't see Nintendo approaching Sony for a character, Crypto is too niche (Hopefully the teased sequel will be on the Switch so people can try out the games), and Doomguy got deconfirmed in an interview.
I might as well do it for mine

Reimu is in the could happen, could also not, neutral chances, maybe going more towards neutral + if I'm optimistic.

Demi-Fiend is in the could, but not too solid either, even if he' among the likeliest Sega character in my opinion.

Sora is in the unlikely case, mainly because of Sephiroth

Phoenix Wright is also in the unliely case since recently, because of the Capcom costumes.

Rayman is in the could but also not really likely either category.

Midna is an at, basicaly no shot in my opinion.

Marx is extremly unlikely, because if there was a new Kirby character to begin with, why would it be Marx and not Bandana Dee.

Dante is the same as Phoenix, his chances got gutted by the Capcom costumes influx in my opinion.

Akira Howard got post release spirits, basicaly dead.

And 2B is extremly unlikely, as i really don't think we're getting another Square Enix character in the last 2 characters (same applies to Microsoft)

So basicaly I have 2 characters in my top 10 that I think have a solid chance even if it's nothing special, 1 has a bit of a chance even if not too much, 4 are unlikely, and 3 are dead.

If I extand it to my top 15, Sol Badguy has an alright chance, Lara Croft and Amaterasu are basicaly both dead, Crash is like Rayman but slightly more likely, and Lyn is dead.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
If any of the characters from my previous comment of most wanteds got in I'd be legitimately surprised. So in a word, none

I'm not complaining though. Aside from Monster Hunter, I got everyone that I 'really' wanted, so everything else beyond this point is just extra in my eyes. As long as the next two characters are interesting, I'll be fine with them.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion

Top 10 most wanted?

No particular order

1. Shadow the Hedgehog
2. Spyro the Dragon
3. Lanky Kong
4. Shantae
5. Pretty much any Sonic character so long as it isn't Classic Sonic or Boom, screw both of em
6. Krystal (Star Fox Adventures)
7. A really offbeat Pokemon character (aka someone that isn't a starter/someone that obviously shills a new game/movie or whatever)
8. Pretty much any Xenoblade character
9. Pretty much any Donkey Kong character
10. Tetra/any other "Toon" Zelda character

How many have a solid chance? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that.... doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. We just got Pyra/Mythra (who are amazing BTW) so no further Xenoblade stuff is coming. Shadow and Krystal got Assist Trophied, and even in my wildest dreams I don't think Lanky's gonna be DLC, he'd be a base game pick if at all. Any other Donkey Kong or Toon Zelda character, probably naw unless they shill something super obvious and I kinda doubt that. Leaving the last two in my "most wanteds" to be Sonic and Pokemon who... MIGHT have a chance? It's really debatable. I might not get what I want. Good thing I like just about any character and am not particularly picky about Smash fighters... except Classic Sonic or Boom, those are exactly the two things I do NOT want to see.

Amy and Decidueye? I'll be the one exact dude yammering about that pair JUST IN CASE I end up being right. That way I win ALL the imaginary money and Burger King. Pizza is good too.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

Oh I agree. It's just that it would be nice to see other genres get more representation. They have given RPGs a lot of love, so why not other genres.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
The fact that you've brought this up means the universe will now correct itself to have the non JP character come first just to **** with us.
I’m 100% okay with that. 😂

Gordon Freeman to end FP2 with a bang let's goooo
He’d be really hype. We talked about him recently in the Master Chief thread. Japanese developers seem to really like Half-Life/Valve. There was a Half-Life crossover with either Final Fantasy XIV or XV. There was a Left 4 Dead crossover with Resident Evil 6.

Sakurai himself praised Half-Life 2 back in the day. There’s also the leak of Nintendo approaching Valve to help make an exclusive Half-Life game. But Valve apparently backed out because they knew the first HL game in years being a Nintendo exclusive would piss people off. Maybe they‘ve come back to the idea ever since Alyx came out?
Gotta feel bad for whoever the last character is, unless it's an extreme people pleaser it's going to get the "this was the last Ultimate character and not _____?!" treatment.
A part of me thinks they pushed Pythra up to save her from that fate. I was definitely expecting a Nintendo character in that final spot, but maybe they saw the backlash to Byleth & Incineroar.

I wonder if in person tournaments will become a thing again this year and if so, what kinds of changes will be needed. Will they, for instance need to invest in HDMI splitters and extra TVs to keep people far enough apart while playing? Will it be limited to players and commentators only?
The latter seems like the best thing to do. They really need to get tourneys going again. This game’s future could be grim if we don’t get an active real tourney scene again.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman

• Crash
  • Phoenix
  • Doomguy
  • Monokuma
  • Agumon
  • Master Chief
  • Kratos
  • Crypto
  • Nightmare
  • Bill Rizer

Well, my 5 most wanted characters after Pyra and Mythra are:

Dr. Eggman
Paper Mario
Crash
Doom Slayer
Phoenix Wright

If I had to choose the last two, I’d go for Eggman and Crash being the most likely.

I’ve lost a bit of hope for Phoenix considering we just got MH Costumes. Also, Sakurai may feel Phoenix wouldn’t represent his game well enough, but he’s done things before.

Paper Mario would be a really likely shoe-in first party if we never got a Spirit Event. If we get a FP3, he does feel like the next new Mario rep, as he represents the RPGs of Mario. We still could get Paper Mario of Nintendo feels Origami King deserves a spot, plus an Intelligent Systems character that isn’t from Fire Emblem would be a breath of fresh air.

Doom Slayer would be great to have in Smash. But I’m doubting his inclusion. Again, like Paper Mario, if we get FP3, he is a top contender.

Crash is a gaming icon. His recent resurgence, a major western rep, and an icon of the 90’s, he would be great. I’m not 100% certain Crash would get in, but he feels like the E3 reveal to come.

Then the Doctor himself. Eggman feels like an E3 rep too. Gaming icon, new villain, and a potentially unique moveset. I personally would love Eggman in Smash.

Kyphlosion16

Smash Rookie

• Crash
  • Phoenix
  • Doomguy
  • Monokuma
  • Agumon
  • Master Chief
  • Kratos
  • Crypto
  • Nightmare
  • Bill Rizer

• Crash
  • Phoenix
  • Doomguy
  • Monokuma
  • Agumon
  • Master Chief
  • Kratos
  • Crypto
  • Nightmare
  • Bill Rizer

My Top 12 Most Wanted
1. Tails
2. Dixie Kong
3. Crash
4. Spyro
5. Skull Kid
6. Lloyd Irving
7. Hollow Knight
8. Sora
9. Rayman
10. Bomberman
11. Dante
12. Dr. Robotnik

at this point I think the only realistic ones left are Crash, Lloyd Irving for me

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Dr. Eggman

Then the Doctor himself. Eggman feels like an E3 rep too. Gaming icon, new villain, and a potentially unique moveset. I personally would love Eggman in Smash.

Eggman I would LOVE! His whole flavor, everything. Kirby wtih the goggles and mustache! His MUSIC!

Eggman would be BEAUTIFUL! Whether his stage is the Death Egg or the Egg Carrier, whatever. I'd love to have him, or just about any other Sonic fighter too! It's not just SONIC'S 30th anniversary, it's also EGGMAN's 30th!

If Eggman ends up being the FINAL character, my head canon would be that Doctor Eggman creeped up after everyone else wore themselves out fighting Sephiroth, and then after everyone is either dead or severely beaten up, then you just hear "oooooh hohohohohohohohoho! Get a load of THIS!" And the REAL ending of Smash Ultimate is that Eggman wins and Eggmanland FINALLY comes to be! Ahhhhhahahahahahahaaaaa!

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

After Hayabusa, Bill Rizer is the next classic NES character except maybe Bomberman.

But I think it's time for some SNES-era legacy characters like Earthworm Jim and Ristar.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
My two remaining most wanteds are Lycanroc and Bandana Waddle Dee. Lycanroc is about as dead as they come, but I still have some hope for BWD. Not seeing the 3-D Kirby at the Direct was a pretty big blow, but he still has his popularity, moveset potential, the fact that nothing in the base game is potentially holding him back, and he still could be a promotional pick if the 3-D Kirby is released before FP11.

Not really expecting him, but I do enjoy that there's just enough there to justify being slightly hopeful.

Plus, Bandana Waddle Dee is really the only character who has remained relevant throughout Ultimate's entire speculation period. Virtually all other characters discussed thus far have either been added, deconfirmed, naturally lost popularity, or only grew in popularity after some development that made them seem more likely. Bandana Dee has been discussed since day 1 and has been a consistent voice throughout both the base game's discussion and both Fighter's Passes. It may not be a spot on the roster, but I would still be satisfied if that's all Bandana Dee got.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Trust Nintendo fans to know so little about shooters that they automatically think FPS is synonymous with it instead of a subgenre.

Imagine at the next reveal, the Smash symbol appears as it usually does, then you hear this........

What is your reaction?
H Y P E

Shroob

Sup?

• Crash
  • Phoenix
  • Doomguy
  • Monokuma
  • Agumon
  • Master Chief
  • Kratos
  • Crypto
  • Nightmare
  • Bill Rizer

My only character(s) that I can say that I actively want would be Crash or Master Chief, and if there's any time to reveal either of them, it'd be in June imo.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
My two remaining most wanteds are Lycanroc and Bandana Waddle Dee. Lycanroc is about as dead as they come, but I still have some hope for BWD. Not seeing the 3-D Kirby at the Direct was a pretty big blow, but he still has his popularity, moveset potential, the fact that nothing in the base game is potentially holding him back, and he still could be a promotional pick if the 3-D Kirby is released before FP11.

Not really expecting him, but I do enjoy that there's just enough there to justify being slightly hopeful.

Plus, Bandana Waddle Dee is really the only character who has remained relevant throughout Ultimate's entire speculation period. Virtually all other characters discussed thus far have either been added, deconfirmed, naturally lost popularity, or only grew in popularity after some development that made them seem more likely. Bandana Dee has been discussed since day 1 and has been a consistent voice throughout both the base game's discussion and both Fighter's Passes. It may not be a spot on the roster, but I would still be satisfied if that's all Bandana Dee got.
I'd point out that the Spirits would've been a deconfirmation for FP1, but not everyone really believed that, so your point still stands. Some didn't see them as an obstacle, so Bandana Dee's popularity wouldn't have slowed down that much.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
btw, do Pyra and Mythra's old spirits still appear on XC2's spirit board or are they missing? Or were those two supposedly replaced by Pneuma?

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
btw, do Pyra and Mythra's old spirits still appear on XC2's spirit board or are they missing? Or were those two supposedly replaced by Pneuma?
No Pyra/Mythra old spirit. Those are not part of the new Spirit Board.

edit:
:ultgreninja:'d

I actually have always secretly wanted to use the Greninja icon in this fashion.

Last edited:

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
Okay, well now that Sword-Chan is out and playable, let’s finally dust off this weeks-old self-indulgent question!

:ultpiranha: - I adore The Plant. Out of all the “joke characters” ever put into Smash, this feels like Sakurai at his absolute trolliest. I laughed out loud when it was revealed. I’ve also grown to really dig its risky keepaway/heavyweight playstyle. It wouldn’t have been the first Mario mook I would’ve chosen, but it’ll always be hilarious.

:ultjoker: - I never touched a SMT/Persona game before he was revealed. His playstyle doesn’t fit mine at all, and I’ve grown annoyed as all hell seeing everyone play as him in tournaments just because MKLeo’s a god with him. His stage and soundtrack are infinitely more fun to me. At the end of the day, the only thing Joker really means to me is “His bombshell TGA reveal opened so many doors for more interesting characters”, which I guess ain’t nothing.

:ulthero: - This felt like a long time coming and I really respect how much love and care Sakurai/Sora Ltd. put into his design. Having four alts is just pure, unapologetic fan service. People hate the drop-down menu because it’s “too random”, but it adds such a unique and fun-as-balls twist to casual matches. I wish his music selection wasn’t absolute sh*t, but other than that, I think Hero’s a great addition.

:ultbanjokazooie: - So when I was a dumb nine-year-old playing Smash 64 for the first time, my only question was “Wait, where’s Banjo and Kazooie?” And after a two decade-long rollercoaster, that reveal trailer was everything to me. Their updated design is perfect, their stage is nothing short of gorgeous with all the easter eggs and HD character models, the music selection…admittedly could’ve had a few more songs from Tooie…and depriving us of a Mumbo Jumbo Mii outfit was criminal…and yes, I know everyone hates them because of their kit’s overreliance on Grenade Egg and Wonderwing…but in my mind, no joke, Ultimate’s roster wrapped with B&K. Everything that came afterwards was just toppings.

:ult_terry: - I didn’t know Terry existed until The SNK Leak. The only game I knew from that company at all was Metal Slug. I wasn’t exactly jumping for joy at his reveal, but seeing how much love Sakurai poured into his entire Pass was a blast to see. And at the end of the day, Terry is stupidly fun to play. He’s like a more bombastic Ryu/Ken while simultaneously having command inputs that feel easier to pull off. Solid inclusion, no real complaints.

:ultbyleth: - Like everyone else, it was hard not to be disappointed at her reveal trailer. Like, really hard. But once I got my hands on her, I found her moveset to be fun enough. I like their long reach and the risk/reward of committing to your heaviest attacks. And it is cool to get some 3 Houses representation in the game since it was a huge hit. If you just kept her, Robin, Marth, and Lucina and cut the rest of the FE cast, you’d have a very solid representation of the series, imo.

:ultminmin: - I love Min Min for all the reasons everyone else hates Min Min. I love how she doesn't play like any other character on the roster. I love how she's not the box mascot of her game. I love how she's a promoted Spirit. I love how ARMS was given a proper spot on the roster. I love how angry people get when they can't adapt to her playstyle. I love her chaotic stage. I love the music. I love how palpably furious people still are at all the choices made to bring her into Smash. Good sh*t, Min Min.

:ultsteve: - I’ve only played about 2 hours of Minecraft in my entire life and I’ve had the foresight to avoid all of the “Minecraft Youtuber”/cringe memes/etc that made certain secs of the internet hate the game over the years. To me, Steve and Minecraft in general was THE game of the 2010s and if any property “deserved” a spot in Smash, this was it. Seeing just how much work Sakurai’s team put into this character’s kit to make it as faithful and accurate as they could will always blow me away. A VERY welcome addition.

:ultsephiroth: - This reveal was…a lot for me. On one hand, seeing Square Enix get another character after seemingly being so stingy with Smash was huge. Seeing that it was f***ing Sephiroth was absolutely incredible. But a big chunk of me did feel super weird that Sephiroth was getting a spot before Robotnik, who now feels notably absent from this game’s roster. That being said, seeing FF7 finally get the music tracks, Spirits, Mii costumes, and stage representation that it deserved from the beginning was VERY satisfying.

:ultpyra: - When they were first revealed, I popped hard for so many reasons. I’ve never touched a XC game, but I knew how big a fanbase it had and how much Sakurai wanted to squeeze it into base game. So seeing such fan favorite characters get the roster treatment along with the reintroduction of Melee’s transformation gimmick made me stupidly happy.

And they also play, um…really well. Like, this may be the scariest character we’ve gotten in terms of a well-balanced kit and crazy efficient kill potential in either of the two Passes. I genuinely can’t wait to see what the pros do with them in the future, cause…yeah. Dang.

It helps that they’re a lot more fun for me personally to play as Joker. Like, the learning curve is sizeable, but they feel more satisfying than Joker to me. That’s always a plus.

All in all, yeah, Pass 1 had more “heavy hitters”, but I’m definitely a lot more satisfied with the gaps that Pass 2 has been filling in so far. Crazy to imagine that there’s still two entire slots left…
I'd add on but I've been in a financially tight spot right now and can't afford the new fighter but I do like the variety so far (only from what I've seen) though it does feel like we took 1 step forward and 2 steps back with the switching character aspect as Samus and Zelda and separated from their counterparts for a reason. but now it feels weird that they were brought back for Pokémon Trainer and P/M. I personally would've preferred them to be separate with unique down specials. Imagine if Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard had the option to be their own fighters with unique down specials and final smashes

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
At this point I've largely accepted that the first party characters I would most favor (Dixie, Impa, Bandana Dee) aren't coming, with their best opportunity being as base game picks for the next(?) edition of Smash.

As far as third parties, I will say the ones I'd prefer most range from decently likely (Crash, Eggman), to semi-possible dark horses (Amaterasu, Agumon) to "you gotta be kidding me" longshots (Sparkster).

While I am happy with how all four of the second pass fighters all play quite well, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't really hoping to get one in this season who's mere inclusion could excite me in the same way Banjo's did in the first pass.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The only faith I have is faith in Smash fans still failing to correctly predict the next two fighters. Which is likely, but doesn't mean what I want is a lock.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

• Crash
  • Phoenix
  • Doomguy
  • Monokuma
  • Agumon
  • Master Chief
  • Kratos
  • Crypto
  • Nightmare
  • Bill Rizer

• Master Chief
  • Crash
  • Leon Kennedy/Jill Valentine
  • Dante
  • Doom Slayer
  • 2B
  • Sora
  • Commander Shepard
  • Frisk/Papyrus
  • Ratchet & Clank
Crash is Schrodinger’s Smash pick IMO. He has a ton of reasons why he’s likely. But he has one huge reason why he isn’t, Activision. They’re a notoriously greedy company & they’ve already screwed up Crash getting into one crossover. Though, I do think he’s the most likely of my most wanteds.

Dante had a good thing going for him. But his chances were publicly executed yesterday. I mean I guess there’s a chance he could come with a bunch of other Capcom costumes or maybe just Vergil/Nero & a random assortment. But the chances for a Capcom character have plummeted.

I’m very biased with Master Chief. I know he has a huge uphill battle, but I think he could end up being a dark horse pick. If you’re going to double dip on a 3rd party in the same pass, then it might as well be with MFing Minecraft & Halo. Though, that’s probably very unlikely. 😢

2B would also be a double dip, so she’s probably unlikely. But Nier: Automata is one of the biggest games to come out of Japan in years, its legs are insane. There’s also Taro meeting with Sakurai early last year & he doesn’t really seem like the type to just socialize with other devs. But yeah, probably another unlikely pick.

Frisk or Papyrus could maybe happen. It’s possible they rushed to get an Undertale character after how big the Sans costume was. They have to go through literally one guy to get that happening, so it could’ve happened between September 2019 & January 2020. Theres also no Undertale spirits despite Cuphead getting some after his costume.

Leon & Jill got DLC spirited away. I have my tin foil hat hopes that Resident Evil could be a part of “Second Chance theory”. But there’s almost no chance that’s happening, yesterday just emphasized it.

Doom Slayer got disconfirmed by Id. Several leakers have come out & said Nintendo wanted Sora, but Disney ended up screwing over negotiations. I’m choosing to believe that.

Sony doesn’t play well with others unless your name is Fortnite. So no Ratchet. & even if they did want to get in Smash, I feel they’d go with Kratos. I wouldn’t blame them either, especially since he’s in my top 15 lol

Commander Shepard is my biggest “never ever” want. They’re not going to work with EA. & there’s several way bigger western characters, they’d go after first.

& for fun, my runner up wants:
Ryu Hayabusa
Gordon Freeman
Kratos
Scorpion
Ezio
Waluigi
Impa
Mipha
Dixie Kong

None of them are likely besides Ryu.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'll list my top ten in no particular order.

Geno: not happening - by all appearances, DLC Mii costumes for non-player characters seem to be consolation prizes. Unless we get a third fighters pass and a character reveal that changes that, I don't think he has a chance until the next Smash game, and that depends on whether or not Square-Enix even gets involved.

Dante: I feel like we're going to get a Capcom character as DLC - unlike Namco-Bandai, they don't seem shy or hesitant about that sort of thing. When I submitted my top ten list for the recent article about the SmashBoards Staff's picks for the most likely characters, I had Dante as number three, behind Ryu Hayabusa and Monster Hunter (who were 1 and 2). Capcom has a lot of options to choose from, and for all I know, we might not even get another character from a third party company that's already in the game, but I still feel like he has a pretty good chance.

Doomguy: I don't know how likely he is; first person shooters aren't exactly popular in Japan, and neither are games with extreme gore by my understanding. No More Heroes was made in Japan, and yet the Japanese version replaces blood with a black mist - Metal Gear Solid V might be an exception, particularly Ground Zeroes (some scenes towards the end were hard to look at), but I don't know how the Japanese version was handled (maybe the camera angles were changed to cut around any exposed organs). Either way, western characters seem few and far between (out of roughly 87 characters, two of them are owned by western companies), and while Sakurai's acknowledged that John Carmack is an influential creator, I don't know if that's enough. I'd love to see him included, but with two spots left for DLC and the series' general focus on Japanese properties, I don't know if he's particularly likely. (I'd love to be wrong)

Rayman: it could happen, since he's a major character from a company that's been working really closely with Nintendo as of late, and he's well-known enough that he's appeared in the past two Smash games. (three if you count Smash for Wii U and Smash for 3DS as two separate games) However, I have my doubts - it seems weird to get permission to use him twice but only make him a collectible both times. I could see the reasoning either way.

Elma: I feel like Pyra and Mythra rule her out unless we get a Fighters Pass 3, and that's seeming unlikely. (if we do get a Fighters Pass 3, that seems to bump her chances up given the lack of Xenoblade Chronicles X content in Pyra/Mythra's pack)

Travis Touchdown: again, I feel safe to say that Mii costumes rule a character out if they aren't playable already, even if the Mii costume looks nothing like the character. (as we saw with K. Rool in Smash 4)

Heihachi Mishima: same as Travis and Geno - I had really bad luck with Fighters Pass 2 as far as Mii costumes go, seeing as Pyra and Mythra had the first set of FP2 Mii costumes that didn't rule out a character that I wanted.

2B: her chances seem pretty low - we haven't doubled up on characters from the same third-party company yet, and while it could happen, I have my doubts that 2B would be the exception in that regard. (I'd think it would be someone like Master Chief, if that happens at all)

Bandanna Waddle Dee: Bandanna Dee seems more like a base-game pick, at least to me. While there's definitely enough material to work with for stages, music, and spirits (especially when some Kirby spirits don't have battles, and Sakurai seems to focus on the four games that he worked on in terms of stages), I'm not sure what the reaction would be for him being revealed as standalone DLC (DeeLC?), especially when there are only two spots left. (it seems like it would make him a lightning rod for criticism)

Impa: I felt like the Age of Calamity version could have made it in, but while the post-launch spirit events don't seem to be as big of a barrier as Mii costumes or being an assist trophy, they certainly don't seem to help. Plus, the Smash team seems really hesitant to add new Zelda characters for whatever reason, seeing as they haven't done so for 20 years.

All in all, I feel like Dante and maybe Rayman are the only characters who I want that have a semi-reasonable chance.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

• Crash
  • Phoenix
  • Doomguy
  • Monokuma
  • Agumon
  • Master Chief
  • Kratos
  • Crypto
  • Nightmare
  • Bill Rizer

Mine would be:
  • Sora
  • Ahri
  • 2B
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Arle
  • Rayman
  • Crash
  • Klonoa
  • Octoling
  • Dixie Kong
This is not counting characters that got Mii'd/Spirited in Volume 2, like Geno, Kyo Kusanagi and Bomberman.

Sora is like the Schrödinger's cat of Smash speculation - he's both likely and unlikely until the day he happens and his chances seem to always be stuck at coin-toss percent. Though for the record I'll say that considering how big KH is and how he's heavily demanded, I honestly think Sora is a matter of when, not if. Even if said when is not in Ultimate.

Ahri is, weirdly enough, one of the most likely characters in my list imo, which is saying a lot because even I see her as a dark horse and I literally made her thread. That said, I think that League is one of the off-the-wall picks that make the most sense. I've already listed the reasons in the League thread, so to save time I'll just link it. It's a bit old, but the info there still stands.

I think 2B is done unless we get a third Pass. I genuinely think we won't see another Square character for now.

Phoenix and Arle are kind of in the same boat imo. It's mostly a gut feeling, but right now I think we're done with Capcom and Sega - and these two specifically... I dunno, I can't see them fitting an E3 reveal and they simultaneously both have a significant enough demand to not fit a low-key reveal at the end of a development cycle. That, and I have a sinking feeling (again, purely a gut feeling) that they'll both get Spirit Events.

Rayman... I think he's done too, if only because his franchise didn't make a splash at all in Japan.

For Crash, I think he has a shot, but I also think people are overshooting his chances due to recency bias relating to his revival. I'd place him in a similar tier as a LoL rep - as in, if he's not our E3 reveal, he isn't in at all.

Klonoa... was gone too soon. :(

I still think Octoling could be our final character, but the Squid Sisters costumes definitely raise a few questions - plus it sounds a bit too early to promote Splatoon 3, even if the general idea makes some sense.

And Dixie... don't think so, sadly she doesn't seem like a priority for Nintendo and her fan demand isn't that high right now.

Tldr: the only MWs I'd call somewhat likely are Crash and Ahri - hard maybe for Octoling. I'd say the former is a frontrunner (even if I personally think he's being overrated right now) and the latter two are dark horses.

Arthur's is technically run-and-gun but that ship's already sailed so...oh well.
More like Run-and-Throw-Lance, but your point stands. :4pacman:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom