• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if in person tournaments will become a thing again this year and if so, what kinds of changes will be needed. Will they, for instance need to invest in HDMI splitters and extra TVs to keep people far enough apart while playing? Will it be limited to players and commentators only?

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
How would everyone feel if Ryu Hayabusa and Crash were our last fighters thus overall Ultimate's roster as a whole?

At this point, I feel like Crash is one of the last "blockbuster" reveals that would safely appeal to an enormous audience. I was always more of a Spyro guy myself and never really understood Crash's popularity, but I certainly wouldn't mind another 90s platforming mascot joining the roster whatsoever.

Hayabusa is where things get iffy for me. I'd be perfectly okay with him getting in, but we're all fooling ourselves if we think his reveal will be universally beloved by gamers across the globe or something haha. In the grand scheme of things, I personally think he would kind of end Ultimate's roster on a whimper.

At the same time, I have my biggest most-wanteds in the game already, so I'd be happy to see Ninja Gaiden fans happy.

I might need a moment to fully process that that would be the end of DLC. It’s so baffling to think that the best selling fighting game of all time would end DLC after just two seasons. I seriously can’t get over that. But if that happens, it’ll still be cool knowing that this amazing game is finally complete.

This is where I'm at, too. The next two characters, no matter who they are, are going to feel so bittersweet...I just hope neither of them are gods edge-guarding. My poor boy Simon has already suffered too much during FP2 haha

I’m also happy Arthur is in as a Mii Fighter costume; having the first game I ever played represented in Smash is awesome.

I love this. Even though it's "just" a Mii costume, that's the representation that makes Smash work on such a powerful nostalgic/fan-servicey level to me. It's why I was so stupidly emotional when Sonic (S3&K was the first game I ever beat) and especially Duck Hunt (the first game I ever played) were announced.

Happy for you that Arthur got a bit of love, too, man.

Actually, yeah, let's play this game: Who is your "first game rep" and do they have playable representation in Ultimate yet?

(hey, if nothing else, it shakes up the conversation a tiny bit today haha)

SKX31

Smash Master
How would everyone feel if Ryu Hayabusa and Crash were our last fighters thus overall Ultimate's roster as a whole?
While I wouldn't get any MWs in that scenario, I wouldn't mind honestly. Partly because they both could be fun fighters in their own right, and I'm someone who focuses heavily on the gameplay aspect.

Second, Crash depends entirely on what the hell he does as he's a fun character, but I can't see him being especially fun as a fighter.
TBF, it's possible that he could be fun to play as. I do feel that Crash as a hypotheoretical Smash fighter would need to emphasize movement. Not just "Spin2Win", but also utilizing that basic mechanic to unlock movement options. Examples:

• Spin -> Reversal
  • Spin -> Death Tornado Spin
  • Spin -> Spin Jump
  • Spin - > Triple Spin or another speed boost.

The versatility that the Spin has would grant him a really good movement, pressure and mixup tool already. It'd also be beneficial for him if he's be able to turn on a dime, and have Wario-tier air speed (that is, amazing air speed). Lets look at a quick example using Gluttony's Wario:

Notice the bob and weave he does as soon as he notices Lancelot's (the Chrom's) F-Smash. Crash could replicate that and we're onto something.

I'm saying that because Crash would likely be tall and light - which would leave him vurnerable to being KOed early (just ask :ultmewtwo: and:ultsephiroth: ). It's not the only avenue to translate him into a fun Smash character, but it feels to me like the main way because it emphasises movement and precision. Which - as an added bonus - is what the Crash games are about.

I wonder if in person tournaments will become a thing again this year and if so, what kinds of changes will be needed. Will they, for instance need to invest in HDMI splitters and extra TVs to keep people far enough apart while playing? Will it be limited to players and commentators only?
Spitballing here, but the first few will likely be limited to players and commentators yes. It would be just to be sure that there's no severe risk of transmission, and no tournament organizer would want that on their hands. Japanese tournaments (IIRC) are already using HDMI splitters and the like, as well as masks, to further reduce the risks involved - so American tournaments would likely do the same as a precaution.

Last edited:

Doomguy46

Smash Apprentice
Whether you think he's hype or not, Crash Bandicoot is a video game icon and the "Majority" believe he's Showstopper material and has the status and legacy to carry the weight of an E3 reveal/announcement.

While Crash Bandicoot's demand has been more recent the last couple of years because of the franchise's resurgence, He constantly tops and ranks high in polls.

He's one of the most well rounded candidates for Smash which is why Smash fans, Game journalists and Youtubers constantly bring him up as a potential pick.
I think its really hard to speak on the "majority" but yeah you're probably right. He's definitely a potential pick but it's just my take that he wouldn't be interesting. If you disagree its a super subjective point, so I'm not going to judge you for it. If you like it and would be happy to see him in, more power to ya, I tend to have unpopular takes on new smash reps anyhow.

Doomguy46

Smash Apprentice
I think we'll see EU tourneys back but I think there's a pretty strong chance NA and JP don't have the big tournaments this year. I do think we will see locals tho if mask wearing and distancing is required. I think HDMI splitters would definitely be the most effective way to do it.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Kind of a "meh" for me. Neither of them really appeal to me. I'd imagine Hayabusa could at least pull off some zany combos with the action game/swordie mix, but Crash just looks kinda bland design-wise and his games aren't my speed. I didn't grow up with Crash as the PS1 icon, nor did I have Hayabusa as the old NES legend, so they just don't have any real "hook" that gets me invested. Aside from that, if we ended with the two characters everyone and their mom have been predicting as the "safest" options, it'd feel kinda... Redundant? Predictable? Probably just me being biased against them, but it feels like we've been talking about these two forever and it takes away some of the surprise.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Kind of a "meh" for me. Neither of them really appeal to me. I'd imagine Hayabusa could at least pull off some zany combos with the action game/swordie mix, but Crash just looks kinda bland design-wise and his games aren't my speed. I didn't grow up with Crash as the PS1 icon, nor did I have Hayabusa as the old NES legend, so they just don't have any real "hook" that gets me invested. Aside from that, if we ended with the two characters everyone and their mom have been predicting as the "safest" options, it'd feel kinda... Redundant? Predictable? Probably just me being biased against them, but it feels like we've been talking about these two forever and it takes away some of the surprise.
Yeah. We hardly ever get the most expected picks. That usually only happens because they were leaked beforehand.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Just please if any of the last two are any of the following:
  • Reimu
  • Ahri/LoL rep
  • Octoling
  • Black Shadow (yeah I know I know)
  • KOS-MOS, if Lloyd doesnt beat her to the new Namco rep spot
  • Elma (would take one HELL of a miracle for this)
  • Fiora (if she escapes Final Smash hell like Chrom did)
  • Neku (super super doubtful)
  • Gunvolt (probably even LESS likely than Reimu but I need those GV bops)
  • **** it even Arle Nadja
I promise I’ll never ask for anything again 🥺

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
While I wouldn't get any MWs in that scenario, I wouldn't mind honestly. Partly because they both could be fun fighters in their own right, and I'm someone who focuses heavily on the gameplay aspect.

TBF, it's possible that he could be fun to play as. I do feel that Crash as a hypotheoretical Smash fighter would need to emphasize movement. Not just "Spin2Win", but also utilizing that basic mechanic to unlock movement options. Examples:

• Spin -> Reversal
  • Spin -> Death Tornado Spin
  • Spin -> Spin Jump
  • Spin - > Triple Spin or another speed boost.

The versatility that the Spin has would grant him a really good movement, pressure and mixup tool already. It'd also be beneficial for him if he's be able to turn on a dime, and have Wario-tier air speed (that is, amazing air speed). Lets look at a quick example using Gluttony's Wario:

Notice the bob and weave he does as soon as he notices Lancelot's (the Chrom's) F-Smash. Crash could replicate that and we're onto something.

I'm saying that because Crash would likely be tall and light - which would leave him vurnerable to being KOed early (just ask :ultmewtwo: and:ultsephiroth: ). It's not the only avenue to translate him into a fun Smash character, but it feels to me like the main way because it emphasises movement and precision. Which - as an added bonus - is what the Crash games are about.

Spitballing here, but the first few will likely be limited to players and commentators yes. It would be just to be sure that there's no severe risk of transmission, and no tournament organizer would want that on their hands. Japanese tournaments (IIRC) are already using HDMI splitters and the like, as well as masks, to further reduce the risks involved - so American tournaments would likely do the same as a precaution.
That's fair but by fun, I also mean "Does it feel good to hit people as this character?" There is no bigger way to ruin a character than by making their moves not feel fun to land, for example, Ridley, outside of when the kill screen pops up, you feel like a badass landing his command grab. Cloud has perhaps the most satisfying forward smash in the game with a good use of hitstop to make you appreciate every hit. A Falcon Punch has tremendous impact after the anticipation of Falcon preparing the move. I don't really see Crash doing much with this unless Sakurai wants to go over the top with cartoonyness that Crash applies squash and stretch techniques in his animations or something. It's why I give Min Min so much **** for being the most visually boring character in the game

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Pretty dull ending.

Although since these two have been two of the so-called frontrunners since Smash DLC speculation happened I'd be genuinely shocked if they made it. It'd mean we actually predicted right for once and I can't see that happening.

Crash is kinda cool, albeit likely to be a pretty basic character...but I'm not against that. It's not his moveset that's particularly exciting just his status as Mario's other rival that's the appeal. The smash appeal you got when you saw Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man and Megaman together in Sm4sh for the first time. That kind of appeal.

Hayabusa I'd need to see in action. Moveset wise he could be either very interesting or very boring depending on how 'stock ninja archetype' Sakurai went with him. If we didn't have Sheik or Greninja already being stock ninja archetypes I'd be a lot more excited for him.

Last edited:

Doomguy46

Smash Apprentice
I mean dgmw Ryu and Crash may be predictable but imagine like a gen 8/4 rep and waluigi(for the 35th anniversary or whatever) as the final picks.

I shudder at the thought.

Staarih

Smash Master
I have no personal attachment to either, but I'd be happy for their fans. I don't think it's possible to get a character I dislike, since they all bring something new to the table anyway.

That said, honestly I'd love something completely out of the left field. Crash and Ryu, while cool characters, have been discussed to death and they are so widely expected/predicted by a large part of the speculation circles. I love surprises so a shocker character that nobody even considered would be awesome haha.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I mean dgmw Ryu and Crash may be predictable but imagine like a gen 8/4 rep and waluigi(for the 35th anniversary or whatever) as the final picks.

Dude Nintendo would pick 8-bit Mario over Waluigi if the pick was to do with Mario's anniversary.

Doomguy46

Smash Apprentice
Dude Nintendo would pick 8-bit Mario over Waluigi if the pick was to do with Mario's anniversary.
Maybe paper mario, actually yeah i'd probably say that's more likely. IMO if they add any more first parties it will be a fairly big waste of a slot, like I even kinda want bandana dee in smash but if they added him this FP i think i'd say "aight I'm boutta head out"

cashregister9

Smash Hero

The Mario anniversary was last year and Pokemon not only had post launch spirits but also a tourney that was a celebration of all the pokemon in smash, Neither of them seem super likely atm. Like Nintendo doesn't need the anniversary to advertise Mario but that applies to literally all First Party series in smash.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
IMO if they add any more first parties it will be a fairly big waste of a slot, like I even kinda want bandana dee in smash but if they added him this FP i think i'd say "aight I'm boutta head out"
Do you even play the game of just hope more copyrights get added to the title screen?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Do you even play the game of just hope more copyrights get added to the title screen?
Do you actually like games that aren't owned by Nintendo or are you physically allergic to third parties? The idea people like third parties solely because they're not owned by Nintendo instead of, y'know, liking those characters, is ridiculous and you know it yourself. I'm surprised you're still pulling this after we just got a 2 in 1 Nintendo character which means the pass is 50/50 on first and third parties.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I would be happy with Crash, but Hayabusa is kinda meh, I wouldn't mind him but he wouldn't make me jump for joy or anything.

tbh if the remaining DLC is just new, 3rd party series and one of them isn't Crash I would be kinda disapointed

I think there's still a chance we get another 1st Party, and I really hope we do, even if it's friggin Cinderace lol

though most characters I would be ok with, just not too excited, and if it's someone like Master Chief or Scorpion I would be excited just for the fact they're such big names

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I really don't have anything against Waluigi, But It's hilarious to think that there were some fans that actually believed that Waluigi and a "Certain puppet" were gonna be revealed for Mario's 35th anniversary.

Their afterthoughts and have nothing to do with the "Core" Mario brand which was Nintendo's main focus.

D

Deleted member

I imagine it's still gonna be awhile, or maybe never. While the vaccine does protect people mostly from danger, covid is still gonna be a problem because of how easy it's transmitted + how deadly it is to certain groups. If we do ever go back into mostly in-person stuff it's not gonna be until the second half of this year at least.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
you know what with so much talk about hayabusa im wondering, if he get's in what do you think his main costume will be? modern and NES.

I think his modern costume is much more iconic than his NEs and I don't think he can be counted as a retro pick because the franchise is still somewhat active (compare that to castlevania and megaman at the time of their reveal)

I think more representation will come from his action games than his sidescrolling ones.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
you know what with so much talk about hayabusa im wondering, if he get's in what do you think his main costume will be? modern and NES.
I used to take a bit of a contrarian approach and say similar to Mega Man and Simon that they'd lean more into his classic design, but I think the core difference is ultimately that Hayabusa's modern design is his definitive look. His classic blue / purple attire will no doubt be an alternate skin, but when people think Hayabusa I imagine 9/10 times you're going to be thinking about the reboot Hayabusa.

I think the representation for the NES titles will come a lot more through direct references in his moveset (this is where I anticipate and hope he'll be pretty similar in approach to Mega Man and Simon) and probably the song selection as well.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey uh

is Smashboards super duper sluggishly slow for anyone else all of a sudden or is it just me?

Pillow

Smash Lord
Played the duo for a little bit last night. They feel alright to play. Mythra is crazy fast and can combo with such ease its hilarious and Pyra feels slower than Incineroar and as strong as Ganon on Steroids.

I'd say they'll probably balance things later and nerf Pyra's damage output, but her moves are really slow. The only one I consistently hit with when I messed around with her last night was the spinning blade and that doesn't have a whole lot of knockback.
Slower than Incineroar and stronger than Ganon? Are we playing the same character ?
I used to take a bit of a contrarian approach and say similar to Mega Man and Simon that they'd lean more into his classic design, but I think the core difference is ultimately that Hayabusa's modern design is his definitive look. His classic blue / purple attire will no doubt be an alternate skin, but when people think Hayabusa I imagine 9/10 times you're going to be thinking about the reboot Hayabusa.

I think the representation for the NES titles will come a lot more through direct references in his moveset (this is where I anticipate and hope he'll be pretty similar in approach to Mega Man and Simon) and probably the song selection as well.
Yeah the armored helmet has become his iconic look I can’t imagine it not being the default

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I will make a prediction:

We will not see fighters which latest installments aren’t on a Nintendo console or third party fighters that not have a strong tie to Nintendo.

No Dante, 2B, Master Chief, Kiryu, Lara Croft, Gordon Freeman, etc.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Well, I'd be fine with that and accept it. I will, however, say that I'd be interested in playing Crash regularly, especially if he were to have Coco as an alt. costume.

Edit: I'd also say that I'd prefer Kasumi over Ryu.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
I will make a prediction:

We will not see fighters which latest installments aren’t on a Nintendo console or third party fighters that not have a strong tie to Nintendo.

No Dante, 2B, Master Chief, Kiryu, Lara Croft, Gordon Freeman, etc.
I guess you mean any more fighters after the ff gang and Joker?

Well, I'd be fine with that and accept it. I will, however, say that I'd be interested in playing Crash regularly, especially if he were to have Coco as an alt. costume.

Edit: I'd also say that I'd prefer Kasumi over Ryu.
But Smash is only for good boys and girls :079:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I really don't have anything against Waluigi, But It's hilarious to think that there were some fans that actually believed that Waluigi and a "Certain puppet" were gonna be revealed for Mario's 35th anniversary.

Their afterthoughts and have nothing to do with the "Core" Mario brand which was Nintendo's main focus.
Even as one of Toad's biggest fans on the site I never really expected we'd get a reveal for the 35th anniversary since he's about the last 'core' Mario brand character aside from Goomba and Koopa Troopa(but due to Plant I didn't see them as likely either for the DLC).

Watching Geno and Waluigi fans so sure they were coming as a Toad fan is kind of interesting.
We had 3D World at least with two vastly different playable Toad characters, heavy promotion at Nintendo World theme park and still figured there was no chance in hell he was getting upgraded from Peach's moveset any time soon.

Geno had absolutely sod all, but the fans sure had passion in spades. Gotta respect that. I don't understand it. But I respect that passion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom