• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Just like the way MH and Arthur costumes only disconfirm MH and GnG for playable DLC which was my whole point.
Yes, but as Cosmic77 said on the last page, first party outfits probably work a bit differently from third party ones.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Just like the way MH costumes and Arthur costumes only disconfirm MH and GnG for playable DLC.
Yeah, but at the same time this is the third Capcom franchise disconfirmed in Volume 2 alone - two of which are literally their biggest franchises (RE and MH) and two of which got new titles in the Switch this year (MH and GnG).

So yeah, while Capcom can't be said to be 100% dead, I'd argue the chances aren't looking that great. And I say this as a Phoenix supporter.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Y'know, I don't think people are actually buying heavily into Figure Theory. Just a little joke. Big games just get merchandise; There's nothing we can really determine from it.

...It is just a joke, right?
Figure Theory is 100% deconfirmed, and I have the proof:

thumb_89661-1-5902069f632ee.jpg

You really think Sakurai would overlook an alt costume as iconic as Flintstone Mario? C'mon.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Yeah, but at the same time this is the third Capcom franchise disconfirmed in Volume 2 alone - two of which are literally their biggest franchises (RE and MH) and two of which got new titles in the Switch this year (MH and GnG).

So yeah, while Capcom can't be said to be 100% dead, I'd argue the chances aren't looking that great. And I say this as a Phoenix supporter.
Chun-Li is still viable, as are Dante and Phoenix Wright.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
KOS-MOS Re figure was a huge success and was announced in 2018. I have no doubt Sakurai has one. Plus we didn't get any Xenosaga references with today's presentation. At best but maybe a stretch the last colour is the Zohar and Kirchwasser from Xenosaga reference. I could not find anything else that matches those colours. I heard people say Yaldabaoth and Face Nemesis but Face nemesis is silver and pink.

6th colour is not KOS-MOS reference but rather the trinity processor and Omnigear Weltall from Xenogears

5th is Weltall. So we got two Xenogears references pretty much and maybe 1 Xenosaga but i'm not sure about that one yet. The rest is all Xenoblade 2 stuff.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I don't see Chun-Li happening this pass considering we already have Min Min.

They're both female chinese fighters with kicking attacks, just seems like there's a bit too much overlap there.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
What has been unique about FP2 is that with every character reveal we have had pretty much no idea what to expect. None of the four characters we have gotten would have been safe guesses back in February of 2020
  • For Min Min, common sentiment was that ARMS lost its chance to have a playable fighter. Not only that, why would they add Min Min over Spring Man, seeing as he's the protagonist
  • For Steve, with Banjo being confirmed for FP1, few expected to get another Microsoft character in the second pass
  • For Sephiroth, many thought we would get Geno or Sora instead or simply thought another Final Fantasy character wouldn't happen
  • For Pyra/Mythra, Rex had been deconfirmed as a Mii Costume in FP1, so why would they go back to Xenoblade 2 and add a character from there? Plus, why add Pyra and Mythra over Rex, seeing as he's the protagonist of the game.
With FP1, we knew pretty much right away that the majority of the pass would be third party, but, for this pass, nothing has seemed predictable, and every character reveal has been a surprise to some extent.
The sheer amount of curveballs we've been thrown makes me half-tempted to call Lloyd just because everyone's not expecting him. We keep thinking he'll be dead, but he keeps finding ways to delay the guillotine. Soon he's master Ultra Instinct and become the Golden Ninja... Um...

What was I talking about again?

On a more serious note, Smash's unexpectedness makes me hesitant to invest in any really big, "safe" options. What we think is safe ends up getting confined to Miis and Spirits; Just look at Monster Hunter. Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but it's gotten me through pretty good so far.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

They're both female chinese fighters with kicking attacks, just seems like there's a bit too much overlap there.
We literally had 3 JRPG pretty boys who uses blades in the last pass.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Lots of neat stuff today.

- Pyra and Mythra have Xenogears and Xenosaga references in their alts

- Thrill-uhhhh, the Mor Ardain theme

- Capcom is hella dead but hey we got an Arthur costume!

- Lloyd is still alive lol.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
We literally had 3 JRPG pretty boys who uses blades in the last pass.
I don't really think that's the same thing considering Min Min was more than likely designed as an expy of Chun-Li to begin with lol. I feel there's more in common with her and Chun than there is with Joker/Hero/Byleth.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Half of Min Min's moveset is literally straight punches, being kicky does not matter in the slightest, they're also aesthetically different enough to stand out

cashregister9

Smash Hero
The sheer amount of curveballs we've been thrown makes me half-tempted to call Lloyd just because everyone's not expecting him. We keep thinking he'll be dead, but he keeps finding ways to delay the guillotine. Soon he's master Ultra Instinct and become the Golden Ninja... Um...

On a more serious note, Smash's unexpectedness makes me hesitant to invest in any really big, "safe" options. What we think is safe ends up getting confined to Miis and Spirits; Just look at Monster Hunter. Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but it's gotten me through pretty good so far.
Lloyd is super expected as of right now because of the presentation. Saying that he is not expected is massively ignoring a lot of predictions.

Or I read this wrong

Last edited:

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
Oh boy remember when i said felyne/prowler/palico are a second option to the hunters and everyone said I was wrong. lol

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
If there is one thing I have learned from all these years it is that the “unlikely” ones often ends up getting in and surprising us.

I mean, on one hand I get where you're both coming from, but if I have to choose between thinking this somehow makes it easier for the Capcom character I want and end up being disappointed if he doesn't happen; and considering Capcom's chances a bit lower because of the amount of content it's got so far in Volume 2 already and then be pleasantly surprised if Phoenix makes it, you bet I'm gonna choose the latter.

There's a difference between wanting a character and seeing them as likely. Most of my wants are dark horses right now - at best. Doesn't stop me from wanting them, but at the same time I'd rather try to be realistic.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
One thing I'd like to point out is that the Negotiations Rumor (Re: Lloyd, Yuri, and Chun-Li were planned for base) isn't quite dead yet. I've seen a couple people say it's dead not, but remember, it was just for characters who were supposedly in the planning stages, not for FP2. Nothing in the presentation confirms or denies that; Heck, we could get Chun-Li, Lloyd, and Yuri Miis and it wouldn't be dead, unless Sakurai explicitly says they weren't planned in the base game's era for whatever reason. The only reason the rumor picked up in the first place was theories that were floating around already.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
It's true that Capcom has enough costumes to fill a wave, but so do a lot of companies. Sega already has Tails, Knuckles, Akira, Jacky, Yu, Makoto, the Teddie hat, and the Morgana hat. Add in Kiryu, Arle, a Puyo hat, and Sakura and you reach the 11 costumes Capcom would need.

The problem is whether or not any company would get that much love though. Personally, I just can't see Sakurai giving that degree of Smash real estate to anyone. It feels unrealistic to me for the same reason that double-dipping into a specific third-party company for any DLC wave feels unrealistic.
yeah that's true, the difference is Capcom can go for a while without getting niche to the point where they don't make sense, Persona, Sonic, Yakuza, Phantasy Star, Puyo puyo (and technically bayonetta) are all Sega has that's really Smash Worthy

Capcom on the other hand has Mega Man, Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, Okami, Ace Attorney, Dragon's Dogma, Ghosts and Goblins and Devil may cry before we have to start going into their niche portfolio.

the difference of ip prestige between them is huge.

Koei Tecmo, is a bigger company than Sega (and Square Enix somehow) i think they're probably the next ones to get repped with a fighter.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm so happy that a MH rep is done for, sorry for the fans but we already have Byleth sooo they would just feel too similar to them, btw i have no idea who could be coming next other than Crash lol
Monster Hunter wouldn't need to play anything like Byleth and it's quite sad to see people "happy" that characters that a lot other people really wanted are out of the picture - MH or otherwise, it's always been frustrating.

Unlikely that MH would have directly gotten in the way of your MW, unless they were from Capcom and the whole damn company seems to be a bust atm.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm so happy that a MH rep is done for, sorry for the fans but we already have Byleth sooo they would just feel too similar, btw i have no idea who could be coming next other than Crash lol
God I was really hoping the ****ty "Byleth is just Monster Hunter" meme would die, but here we are.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I'm so happy that a MH rep is done for, sorry for the fans but we already have Byleth sooo they would just feel too similar, btw i have no idea who could be coming next other than Crash lol
I know this is a moot point now but you are aware that Monster Hunter is more than a sword fighter right? There is also insect glaive, hammer, lance, gunlance, charge blade, etc. I'm sick of seeing this comment because Monster Hunter has a lot of unique weapons that would make them very different from Byleth. Byleth can only do maybe a 1/4 of what Monster Hunter can do.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Lloyd is super expected as of right now because of the presentation. Saying that he is not expected is massively ignoring a lot of predictions.

Or I read this wrong
I dunno, from my standpoint it seems like everyone's been expecting him to die even more. The prevailing mindset is "All the Miis came back; Why is Lloyd any different?"

Louie G.

Smash Hero
God I was really hoping the ****ty "Byleth is just Monster Hunter" meme would die, but here we are.
It's only going to get stronger from here on out, you're going to have people assuming Imran's posts were correct about Byleth being a retooled MH and even more people tossing around the unfounded claims regarding how the MH devs feel about representing Hunters etc etc.

Honestly having these frustrating topics proven wrong were one of the reasons I was looking forward to Monster Hunter, but here we are. These same talking points will persist all the way into the next game.

zferolie

Smash Hero
In terms of monster hunter, it obvious the monster hunter team AND Sakurai feel that the hunter is not a good representation in a fighting game. They felt from the start a rathalos boss and AT was the right call.

Edit

It's only going to get stronger from here on out, you're going to have people assuming Imran's posts were correct about Byleth being a retooled MH and even more people tossing around the unfounded claims regarding how the MH devs feel about representing Hunters etc etc.

Honestly having these frustrating topics proven wrong were one of the reasons I was looking forward to Monster Hunter, but here we are. These same talking points will persist all the way into the next game.
It may be unfoumded, but there have been on record reports on monster hunter team being unwilling to have a fogjter in mvc3

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I have only heard of this game 5 minutes ago yet this is confirmed better than Smash. It also has rollback so clearly, Smash has finally met it's match

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
Yet again, people are trying to make a case for a MH rep while i just dont care enough, im getting better from covid so i will just enjoy pyra today. xD

Louie G.

Smash Hero
In terms of monster hunter, it obvious the monster hunter team AND Sakurai feel that the hunter is not a good representation in a fighting game. They felt from the start a rathalos boss and AT was the right call.
Case in point.

Yet again, people are trying to make a case for a MH rep while i just dont care enough, im getting better from covid so i will just enjoy pyra today. xD
Well when you say ignorant things about a character and put them down it's natural for people to tell you why you're wrong.

It may be unfoumded, but there have been on record reports on monster hunter team being unwilling to have a fogjter in mvc3
And Hunter is in Infinite.

"But that's an exception and they never got permission (citation needed)!"

Etc etc. I'm done having this circular conversation every other day, lmao.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I've been thinking about that Lloyd/Chun-Li leak. Is there anything that deconfirms it right now? Because we do have two fighters left and they do make sense. Chun-Li is a good pick for E3 and Tales Of is very popular in Japan. Of course I'm not going to put much stock into this since I did just put stock into the concert leak and now that's dead too so I just got burned by a fake leak yet again.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I know but I feel Arthur's Mii costume doesn't really go "Wow it's Arthur!" It's why I'm conflicted as it feels like GnG in name only but it's cool to get acknowledged
I’d imagine it’s due to the fact that Arthur has very distinctive standing, running, and jumping animations that set him apart from other knight characters, which Mii Swordfighter lacks. But yeah, the acknowledgement is cool to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom