• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Anything that claims to know Sakurai's decisions and especially not adding Geno because fans wanted geno in smash and not a new game shouldn't be taken seriously. Chun Li was just heavy in speculation because Sephiroth broke a "fan rule". Not saying Chun Li isn't possible but Capcom, imo is dead since Monster hunter returned with miis. Lloyd will likely return next wave with a Namco character or another 3rd party... who knows who it will be. But I have to remind people that text leaks have to be fake since even a impressive leaker like Practicalbrush could not leak Pyra or Sephiroth an hour before their presentations. It just proves to me that security is ridiculously tight. Like the guy got info on Steve and Byleth somehow....

I've been the victim of KOS-MOS fake at game awards a bit. I got a little too invested in it and when KOS-MOS popped up in that 5chan one I was not convinced but just rather speculated for fun. I will do the same if she pops up in another fake leak and choose not to believe it.
I don't care to argue its validity or absence thereof, but that leak predates the DLC. The only ones that were known at the time were Piranha Plant and Joker. It just didn't get dug up until after Sephiroth. It was not made after the influx of attention Chun Li or Lloyd have been receiving.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Well to be fair he's not gonna say "well, there's 2 fighters left... haha, unless...?". If there's not an official statement of more DLC characters, he's not gonna say anything that could hint towards that.

Not saying we'll get more DLC, I actually think Pass 2 is the end of Ultimate, but at the same time I don't think Nintendo would let Sakurai say anything if there are more characters coming before the actual announcement.
That’s the thing though. I think Nintendo would allow Sakurai to make a clear statement: this is it, we’re done, if that were the case. I’m not saying we’ll get more, but people declaring this presentation as the end of FP3 speculation is very odd to me.

Pyra or Mythra, which character are you leaning towards?
I could never stick to one if there’s a transformation gimmick. It’d bother me to think I wasn’t trying to use a character to their full potential.

zferolie

Smash Hero
That literally makes no sense. Might as well not use Sigma, Ultron, Thanos, Captain Marvel, etc ever again in a future MvC game for the same reason when people were actually thrilled to play those characters
Again, i said it was speculation. And you keep ignoring the 1 thing i said over and over. I just feel the monsters themselves are a better representation of the games then the hunters, and perhaps sakurai feels the same way. We dont know, but thats why i was always against a hunter in smash.

While i loved hunter in MvCI, they didnt really play like a hunter, only a mish mash over various weapons and other actions. It SEEMS(KEY WORD HERE) that Sakurai is putting game accuracy as a top priority for all these fighters, or as close as he can. The majority of all of ultimates fighters seem to reflect this, with byleth probably being the least accurate but still close.

If sakurai really wanted to fully 100% be faithfil to the hunters, he would either pick 1 weapon and stick with it, or give us multiple hunters as different characters. The latter seems most fitting honestly, but probably too much work for a dlc. I feel in the next smash game, if we get one, him adding 2 or 3 hunters as seperate characters could be likely and fitting. Maybe a different gender for each as well. Maybe great sword, gun lance, and duel blades as the 3(add in gunner for a 4th maybe)

But once again i need to say, im not attacking mh fans, nor am i pro the idea that bylthe was a leftover of a hunter. I am just saying how i feel about the reps and how i see them happening if they do. Please dont keep yelling at my thoughts

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Well to be fair he's not gonna say "well, there's 2 fighters left... haha, unless...?". If there's not an official statement of more DLC characters, he's not gonna say anything that could hint towards that.

Not saying we'll get more DLC, I actually think Pass 2 is the end of Ultimate, but at the same time I don't think Nintendo would let Sakurai say anything if there are more characters coming before the actual announcement.
Potentially yes, but you could also argue that he can also just not acknowledge it at all. He didn't really talk about FP1 being the end of it in the lead-up towards the announcement of FP2 from what I remember, so him talking about it now again is more worth noting.

SKX31

Smash Master
I don't really think that's the same thing considering Min Min was more than likely designed as an expy of Chun-Li to begin with lol. I feel there's more in common with her and Chun than there is with Joker/Hero/Byleth.
They don't fill the same gameplay niché though is the thing. Going to borrow from Sun Tzu's Art of War to prove my point:

Min Min wants to 以逸待勞 - Wait at leisure while the enemy labors. Pretty much sit back, punch with her stretchy ARMS, and constantly force the opponent to approach her and spend time, resources and patience. Her CQC kicks are mainly aimed at knocking people back so she can punch some more.

Chun-Li, meanwhile, is a FGC character and as such wants to 無中生有 - Create something from nothing. She wants to open someone up with mix-ups, cross-ups and making her opponent believe she's going to Kikoken while she in fact wants to run up and start a combo with light punch.

Both could hypotheoretically get in the same Pass, especially since Chun is way more famous and would be hypotheoretically selected because she's Chun-Li. Not likely, true, but still.

I'm a Cloud guy myself, so I lean towards Myhtra because I've gotten kinda used to getting semi-consistent combos.

Still will use Pyra and swap between the two, Pyra looks fun for just hard reading someone and blowing the person up.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Again, i said it was speculation. And you keep ignoring the 1 thing i said over and over. I just feel the monsters themselves are a better representation of the games then the hunters, and perhaps sakurai feels the same way. We dont know, but thats why i was always against a hunter in smash.

While i loved hunter in MvCI, they didnt really play like a hunter, only a mish mash over various weapons and other actions. It SEEMS(KEY WORD HERE) that Sakurai is putting game accuracy as a top priority for all these fighters, or as close as he can. The majority of all of ultimates fighters seem to reflect this, with byleth probably being the least accurate but still close.

If sakurai really wanted to fully 100% be faithfil to the hunters, he would either pick 1 weapon and stick with it, or give us multiple hunters as different characters. The latter seems most fitting honestly, but probably too much work for a dlc. I feel in the next smash game, if we get one, him adding 2 or 3 hunters as seperate characters could be likely and fitting. Maybe a different gender for each as well. Maybe great sword, gun lance, and duel blades as the 3(add in gunner for a 4th maybe)

But once again i need to say, im not attacking mh fans, nor am i pro the idea that bylthe was a leftover of a hunter. I am just saying how i feel about the reps and how i see them happening if they do. Please dont keep yelling at my thoughts
Sakurai's been ok with all sorts of liberties before and the hunter just so happens to have one weapon type be much more iconic than the others, the greatsword. Your argument doesn't make sense at all. If the Hunter was well received but from a crap game, why scrap the idea permanently, especially as DLC sales are never 1 to 1 with game sales. You can capture the spirit of Monster Hunter very easily by making the Hunter a trapper character with a giant **** off hunk of monster material. Again, if game accuracy had to be this strict, then we wouldn't have any characters in the game at all, especially not these DLC characters.

Nobody said you have an issue with MH fans or anything, the only issue is that you're using bad arguments that have been easily disproven

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
MY GIRLS WERE SPARED!!!

...all I need now is the season 3 announcement. Which... kinda still looks unlikely. Unless they announce it with the penultimate fighter or take a temporary hiatus after pass 2.

also big giant ass RIP to Capcom, Chun-Leak and most importantly, the concert rumor.

now I await the data mines and famitsu column...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I can't imagine how we could think FP3 may happen at this point. Unless Sakurai is straight up lying to us by saying we're only going to have presentations "two more times", which I don't think is likely.
Oh but you see he's telling us to lower ohr expectations so he can surprise us by confirming more and all our favourites, just like how he said "I might have shown off too much" in 2018, to make us even more excited when Banjo, Shadow, Isaac, Geno and Mach Rider got confirmed for the base roster!

D

Deleted member

Gonna guess the Pneuma spirit’s unique effect imbues all attacks with a random elemental effect if they don’t have one already. If not that uhhhhh sue me idk

Why is Mario 1 so hard stop making me restart every 5 minutes

zferolie

Smash Hero
Sakurai's been ok with all sorts of liberties before and the hunter just so happens to have one weapon type be much more iconic than the others, the greatsword. Your argument doesn't make sense at all. If the Hunter was well received but from a crap game, why scrap the idea permanently, especially as DLC sales are never 1 to 1 with game sales. You can capture the spirit of Monster Hunter very easily by making the Hunter a trapper character with a giant **** off hunk of monster material. Again, if game accuracy had to be this strict, then we wouldn't have any characters in the game at all, especially not these DLC characters.

Nobody said you have an issue with MH fans or anything, the only issue is that you're using bad arguments that have been easily disproven
So your just going to be rude and say i have bad arguments and junk like that? I said that a single weapon could work qs well, i was only trying to guess why they havent been added yet.

But just keep beimg rude to someone not as enthusiastic for a hunter and saybtjeir argiments suck

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
So your just going to be rid and say i have nad arguments and junk like that? I said that a single weapon could work qs well, i was only trying to guess whubthey havent been added yet.

But just keep beimg rude to someone not as enthusiastic for a hunter and saybtjeir argiments suck
I'm not even a Monster Hunter fan, I'm just saying that pointing at MvCI being crap and pretending Sakurai's vision is entirely 1 to 1 are bad arguments

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'm not even a Monster Hunter fan, I'm just saying that pointing at MvCI being crap and pretending Sakurai's vision is entirely 1 to 1 are bad arguments
I never said my ideas were fact or whatnot, i said these are theories based on how it looks. It looks like sakurai is be as accurate as he can recently.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I'm leaning towards both, Mythra for damage buildup/recovery and Pyra for KO's. As they're a transforming character, I think that limiting myself to one is basically playing with a handicap.

but aesthetically speaking, Mythra all the way :4pacman:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Now that all rumors are dead again. And nothing so far has stood up to take its place, who do we think is the likely remaining fighters? I am going to place bets on

Eliwood from fire emblem
Rillaboom from Pokemon.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I never said my ideas were fact or whatnot, i said these are theories based on how it looks. It looks like sakurai is be as accurate as he can recently.
And I've been arguing against those theories as they are flawed. If Sakurai wanted to be as accurate as he could be, why can Min Min reflect stuff because she can bat away her opponent's arms in her games, but she can't actually bat away her own arms? Why does Steve only need a single material to make an entire block or weapon? Why is Sephiroth, the mightest super soldier known to man, incredibly frail and slow? Why are Pyra and Mythra able to freely use the full extent of their abilities without a Driver or mashing the B button? I'm only using FP2 characters for this example but denying a Hunter for not being accurate enough is laughably bad. Again, a trapper character fits Monster Hunter perfectly as the Hunters typically rely on tools to immobilize what they're hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom